Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aers
Feb 15, 2012

Ascetic Crow posted:

The theme song will be the original, but sung by Momoiro Clover Z (some lovely idol group, whatever).

This is actually an unknown. While its true Momoiro Clover Z is singing the new OP, it was never stated whether or not it will be the old song or a new one. I'd say its more likely to be a new song.

Here's some more (great) dub music for the OP - an insert song from the English dub by Stan Bush of animated Transformers movie fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wpIpxJsJkY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

There aren't any light novels as far as I know, the musicals are in fact great, and you forgot about the live action!

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Keyboard Kid posted:

I refuse to see the English opening without its proper video. Please update the OP with the correct one, thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjiJkt0m9pE

In that case, this is clearly the correct Japanese opening (jump to about :41 for the interesting part).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn-AcYvCzF0

aers
Feb 15, 2012

planetarial posted:

Is the remake confirmed to air this fall or is it pushed back for 2014?

The newest information is an anniversary merchandise release timeline in the latest issue of Nakayoshi that had the new anime listed for sometime around November 2013 - January 2014.

So basically not fall season for sure, but possibly winter or even a start off-season.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The anime is worth watching if you're the type of person who can enjoy 50 episodes of plot surrounded by 150 episodes of monster of the week and slice of life. The manga was serialized monthly and the anime started about a month after the first chapter was released, so they had little choice but to add tons of filler. While I love the manga, it suffers a lot from extremely fast pacing (season 1 of the anime is 46 episodes but the manga it adapts was originally 12 chapters) that results in very little development for anyone but Usagi. The addition of filler in the anime resulted in the majority of characters being far more fleshed out, which is not a bad thing, but it can drag for some people.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Endorph posted:

The musical was cheesy, but in a kind of amazing way. And I distinctly remember Tuxedo Mask twirling in from off-stage, posing, then just randomly twirling past and back off-stage while everyone stared blankly at him.

There's actually more than one musical. One of them features a song with five Tuxedo Masks. They're all incredibly cheesy but if you're a fan of the series its worth watching one or two.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

It's entirely normal to know nearly nothing about a Winter season show at this point. I can only think of a handful that are even announced out of the 20+ the season should have.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

It's entirely normal to host an event stating there'd be information about the anime and the musical and then devote 99.9% of the run time to the musical and not have something, ANYTHING ready for consumption on the anime side?

They stated "latest information" about the anime and musical. Every single listed guest was from the musical - 7 cast members, producer, sound director. It was pretty obviously going to be about the musical from the start. The surprise was the feed from the Momoclo concert, which wasn't a very big surprise because Momoclo had already announced they had a Sailor Moon-related announcement at their concert. The latest information about the anime is the airing season and that Momoclo will be doing the ED too.

We're 5 months away from winter anime season. Relax.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Where does he even get off calling her slutty? She doesn't dress povacatively or flirt with guys constantly. Not that either of those are particularly negative things, I'm just trying to get a frame of reference outside of "shes a girl" which automatically makes her a slut.

It's just the same tired old mentality of "she expresses that she likes boys so she's a slut". Usagi has a lot of faults you could talk about, so falling back on 'slut' sure is something.

As for the part about pedophiles, Japan must have a massive population of 4-12 year old pedophiles then.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

edit: well that was amazing. I think I need to see some of the musicals now.

Luckily all but 1-2 are subbed. If you've actually seen the entire anime (or read the manga) I would suggest one of the Stars musicals, such as the cleverly named Sailor Stars (remake) or Eien Densetsu (remake). Links are to wiki pages, not where to get them.

The musicals didn't really hit their stride until these two, when they finally had all the relevant characters in place.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Allarion posted:

Venus also refers to the Roman version of Aphrodite, so it makes sense there, while Jupiter refers to Roman version of Zeus. Mars and Mercury derive their elements from the Japanese planet names though, with Mars's fire from 火星 and Mercury's water from 水星 though arguably they could refer to their deity's namesakes as well, that being Ares and Hermes.

EDIT: If you're curious, technically Jupiter's element should be wood while Venus's should be gold, which admittedly her chain is made out of. Or maybe Love=Gold.

Jupiter's 4th arc attack Oak Evolution is a reference to the wood thing. Venus gets gold... stuff.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Apparently demand for the new musical was so high that after selling out super quick, they decided to stream the last performance on niconico. Ticket costs 2000 yen. I think we have a couple musical fans here.

Keep in mind this is a live performance at 5 PM JST which is late night/early morning in America and morning in Western Europe.

Edit:

Ah, they locked it to Japan only. You can probably still watch via some proxy tricks but it might be a pain.

aers fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 2, 2013

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The award for most censored release goes to the Korean dub. They aired all 5 seasons (200 episodes) in South Korea, but did it in 156 episodes. They removed nearly everything that would indicate the show was set in Japan. This included flat out not airing any episode where significant time was spent at Rei's shrine, and removing all footage of it from other episodes. I have no idea how they even did her introductory episode, but I'm sure it is pretty special. In addition, anytime there was Japanese text on screen, it was simply whited out. Not replaced with Korean, but blanked.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Watching the new musical right now on Nico. As a big fan of the original musicals, this is... good. It captures the feel of the old ones.

If the new anime manages to capture the spirit of the old anime the same way it is going to be great.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Shyrka posted:

I think that's a 90s anime in general trope. I remember three back to back Dragonball Z episodes with the titles "Yamucha Dies! The Terror of the Saibaimen" and "Farewell Ten-san! Chaozu's Suicide Strategy" then "Tenshinhan Cries Out!! This is My Final Kikoho" a few episodes later was "Ferocity of the Saiyans! Kami-sama and Piccolo Both Die"

And then there was Legend of Galactic Heroes fondness for spoiling who dies in next episode during the teaser.

I guess Japanese people really don't like surprises.

Its more a shows for younger audiences thing. It still happens in modern kids anime.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The episode 45 title is "The Sailor Warriors Die! The Tragic Final Battle".

So yes.

This episode in particular apparently caused Toei to receive a ton of mail from kids upset about what happened, which isn't very surprising!

Going back to the "its common in kids shows" thing - Gurren Lagann was technically a kids show since it aired in the Sunday morning block (same exact time as Precure, for example) and has some spoilery titles too. However, for the biggest one, they didn't display the episode title until the end of the episode. I thought that was a nice touch.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

e: Almost forgot the most pressing question: Were there a whole species of talking moon cats?

While I won't answer any of the other questions posed by your, uh, fanfiction, due to spoilers... I will answer this. Yes. They aren't from the Moon though, they're from the planet Mau.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Isn't this like the third or so 'it'll be be out by (season)' or has it just been 'yea we're doing something we don't know when' until recent?

It was originally announced for Summer at the first announcement, then announced for Winter a few months ago.

Two days ago at the musical they reiterated the Winter date.

quote:

I liked them more in the manga, they seemed more human.

Pretty much this. I like manga Haruka/Michiru/Setsuna better, which is odd since the anime usually does more for characterization. S is still my favorite season though.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

According to a French magazine, the anime remake was delayed due to creative differences between Toei & Naoko.

Take it with a grain of salt but this isn't the first time foreign news sources have talked about Toei stuff way before Toei ever did. Hell, we don't even know for sure if Toei is the studio on the new show.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

Tell me more about this creator/anime drama, seems interesting.

Most of what I know comes from notes in the 5th manga artbook (the one corresponding to the Sailor Stars arc). Each of these quotes is text written about a different drawing in the artbook.

Naoko Takeuchi posted:

"I really wanted to see Kakyuu-sama’s Sailor Senshi figure in the anime. Always mysterious, why Toei didn’t put her in?"

Naoko Takeuchi posted:

"The Sailor Starlights were supposed to have even more minor roles than the akuma. So when it looked like they were gonna get leading roles in the anime, I was totally surprised! Even more surprising, before transforming into Sailor Senshi they were men?! I was really shocked to learn that."

Naoko Takeuchi posted:

"Like in the manga, I thought the anime would also feature these costumes, so why did Toei not put them in??? Surely (as it always is) I have no idea what goes on with the staff on the television side of things."

Naoko Takeuchi posted:

"I really wanted to see Sailor Cosmos in the anime."

You can probably see the recurring theme. The Stars arc in the anime is probably furthest from the manga then the rest. It also tanked the anime ratings (a slide that started with SuperS, probably mostly due to the removal of well liked characters from S who were present in manga-SuperS but not the anime...).

There's a few other things - IIRC it was brought up in an interview - but it was made pretty clear she was dissatisfied with the direction the anime took the last season(s).

Found one of the interview quotes. This is from SDCC 1998, which Naoko visited as a guest.

quote:

Q: There is some controversy over the character Haruka. Was she a man who transformed into a woman when she became Sailor Uranus?
TN: Haruka has always been a girl. Always will be. As for the Starlights, in the manga they were always girls. In the anime, however, they got turned into guys, and I wasn't very happy about it.

aers fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 1, 2013

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Rie is too busy w/ Kyousougiga TV to be working on SM right now assuming it is airing in Winter.

Which is why I spent the entire day cursing its existence when it was announced (even though its a great show!)

I don't know what Takashi is doing but Midori doesn't really work on things unless its with Team Umakoshi; unfortunately parts of Team Umakoshi are working on SSO right now so uh.

...the staffing situation re: Toei SM 2014 is pretty dire, since nearly everyone worthwhile is busy. Toei is making 6-7 shows right now.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Pretend I punctuated this post with a picture of Crazy Eyes Minako holding her own Pure Heart Crystal and running away with it from that one S season episode . . . an image that GISing "sailor venus pure heart crystal" sadly doesn't provide.

Just grab a still from it on Youtube (episode 109).

The interesting thing about Sailor V is that the first couple chapters were done before Sailor Moon but after that they only came out once or twice a year and it actually finished its run after SM.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Toei isn't even the one making all the merchandise & musical announcements. They're selling some of the new merch on their online store but thats about it.

The merch is all Bandai and the musicals aren't related to Toei.

In fact there's basically no confirmation Toei is doing the new show (although its something like 99.9% certain).

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Is it just going to be a re-release of the original? (the same number of volumes & price)

Uhh I believe its 2 less volumes. It is also more expensive since its on bigger paper with better binding; this is the "complete" version.

Second vol cover.

aers fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 12, 2013

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The third and fourth covers officially revealed in Nakayoshi today (well, yesterday-ish), so yeah, they aren't on the site yet.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

FlamingRok posted:

While I'm disappointed in the lack of information on these pages, I do like some of the art on the "World" tab. Sailor Saturn is by far my favorite of the art, but Mars looks great in her own way. Surprisingly, my favorite of the Senshi, Mercury, is one of my least favorite on this page. Maybe it's because there's nothing that makes her stand out compared to the other art.

That art is from the covers of the 2003 manga re-release in Japan. It was also used on all the new non-Japanese releases of the past few years.

For example, http://www.amazon.com/Sailor-Moon-10-Naoko-Takeuchi/dp/161262006X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386015116&sr=8-1&keywords=sailor+moon+10

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I feel the need to be pedantic and point out the show actually aired at 7 PM in the evening on Saturdays, which gives it a slightly different (but not much) target audience then today's flagship magical girl show PreCure.

The anime basically existed to sell toys. Arguing about whether or not it was good seems pointless so I'll leave it at that.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Sorry to bump this without anime news, but here's some other things going on.

The covers for vol 3/4 of the re-issued manga were officially revealed. They release tomorrow.

More information was revealed about the new tribute album, including a partial artist & track list and some new art.

Tracks:
Moonlight Densetsu (S1-4 OP)
Sailor Star Song (S5 OP)
Princess Moon (S1 ED2)
Otome no Policy (S2 ED)
Tuxedo Mirage (S3 ED)
"Rashiku" Ikimasoh (S4 ED1)
Kaze mo Sora mo Kitto... (S5 ED)
Ai no Senshi (S2 & 3 Insert Song)
La Soldier (S2 Insert Song & Musical Theme Song)

Artists:
Mariko Goto x アヴちゃん(女王蜂) (dont recognize the name)
Mitsuko Horie
Haruko Momoi
Momoiro Clover Z
Shoko Nakagawa
Tommy heavenly6

Meanwhile, Bandai continues to release new merchandise with labels advertising the anime for Winter, and a Winter show preview event listed it on their Winter show listing.

So I think it's still happening.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Its streaming on niconico because dwango is (most likely, 99% chance) on the production committee and partially funding it.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

This is actually Toei's first announcement related to Sailor Moon since 2009ish; they were never involved with prior announcements of the new anime. Since they've finally come out with it (and it has staff), I think this one is for real.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

"I've been sent from the future to stop Sailor Moon anime!" Runs around studio breaking the animator's pencils.

Please, didn't episode 21 of the original series teach you anything?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://sailormoon.tributealbum.jp

Tribute album site updated with video previews of all the songs.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

Ugh, La Solider sounds like they recorded a bunch of Auto-tune in a blender.

Sailor Star Song sounds pretty good, though.

Sailor Star Song is the track I like the most, which isn't surprising since Mitsuko Horie has long proved she can sing.

Agree that a lot of them sound kind of bad. Not that shocked though.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

junopsis posted:

Yeah La Soldier is ...ick. None of the nice heavy beat or anything, the melody seems to much less interesting without it somehow. Aw man. But the Stars OP sounds pretty okay! I like the strings in the accompaniment, too.
I would have loved to see some of the musical songs; for every utterly boring one there's usually a La Soldier or equivalent. FIRE kicks rear end, Ginga no Sanctuary used to put me to tears and everything the musical!Starlights did was better than their anime songs.
There was a song from one of the video games; I think it's called Koisuru Otome ga Makenai? That was really fun, too.

While they originally implied there would be musical tracks on the album, all these tracks are from the anime so... (even La Soldier, known as the musical theme song, is the insert song for the final battle in R).

Disappointing.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The anime is not currently in print with either the English dub or English subs. You can find rips of both the R1 DVDs (S1-4 dub) and R2J DVDs around torrent sites, though.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Probably. There's Japanese (Maybe OOP, don't quite know), French, German and Italian DVD releases of the series but a) they're not in English and ether b) Released by Kazé (Viz Europe) who's overall track record with releasing stuff on home video can be charitably descried as "Crap" or c) Released in Japan and thus levy to a whole bunch of pricing bullshit that can be charitably described as "Thatcheresque"

The new Italian releases are by Dynit and the best home video release of Sailor Moon ever in terms of video quality.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

From my experience of just looking at prices of Japanese DVD/BD releases I find it a loving miracle that anime is still around. Seriously, the first season of Sailor Moon was in a 9 part set, with individual volumes looking to run around 4,000 yen ($40, for six episodes) and looking at Amazon JP they eventually put it into two sets, one with five parts and the other with four.

The four-part one is running "new" (It may be OOP, can't really tell.) runs at 38,800 yen (Approx. $388 US.) That's for 22 episodes.

Of course, looking at the price in the product description makes this obvious that its a price-gouge because its OOP, as that says 12,000 yen. Still a hefty sum for only half of a season . I'd be scared to know what they would be willing to charge for Blu-Ray even if they would just be upscales.

Yeah those box sets were a 20th anniversary special release; they're the exact same physical DVDs as the 2002 R2J release, and they were made to go out of print fast. You can still get the individual DVDs for the 3-4k yen price since they're still in print but the box sets are going to be gouged to hell except for the newest one. The R2Js aren't really worth buying unless you're a die-hard fan.

There aren't really any good DVD rips of the show around either; the only group that's done the entire series off remastered video decided it would be a fantastic idea to put it through as many filters as possible and completely butchered the video.

aers fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 18, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

a kitten posted:

I'd love it if it would at least get picked up and streamed by someone.

Funimation has been trying to license it for years now but keep getting blocked by something. Its odd, since it was re-licensed in 10+ other countries, so there's obviously something else going on behind the scenes. I've heard rumors that Naoko is blocking English licenses but that doesn't make very much sense since we got the manga.

Unrelated news - there's no pictures yet, but a store site leaked whats on the covers of vol 5/6 of the new manga re-release. 5 is Venus as expected, but 6 is Uranus & Neptune, which is pretty cool and sort of unexpected since the other covers have all had a single character.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

The SMC ones, correct? Yeah, I saw how many extraneous subtitles they crammed into the OP and its just ugly because of it.

Oh, its not just their subtitles.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/45924
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/58166
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/44175

Sailor Moon has really great backgrounds and good colors and pretty consistent art within an episode, but SMC is somehow convinced that the DVD colors are all wrong and need to be fixed and that they need to sharpen it to nuke all the grain (and detail). The results are... special.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Covers for vol5/6 of the new manga release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

TK-31 posted:

I couldn't resist looking over the spoilers and all that stuff sounds awesome. Is the J-Drama version subbed?

Fansubs only, but yeah. For the love of god don't get TV-N's version though.

TK-31 posted:

No sarcasm? Looking forward to it!

The Dream arc in the manga is probably my favorite too so I have to agree with it being the best.

• Locked thread