Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Chrysolith posted:

As frustrating as the anime is due to all the filler, I think you can miss out on a lot of great moments and character development. I think that's one area where the anime has the manga beat. The characters just seem more diverse and interesting in the anime compared to the manga. Not that the characters and the relationships are bad or boring in the manga, but sometimes I felt like some of the characters were too similar, while in the anime their differences are apparent and wonderful. Honestly, I think I just I enjoyed the friendships a lot more in the anime, but I liked the romance more in the manga.

Speaking of the anime having good parts, I finally got around to watching the entirety of Stars about 4 years ago (despite watching the rest probably 8 years before that). I actually really enjoyed it! There were some really funny clips, like all the characters fighting in Usagi's tiny kitchen, and Minako trying to get one of the Starlights to go to a dirty movie with her. Here's a clip from the kitchen fight (Please ignore the dumb opening and beginning, it's the only clip I could find of this):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKby0Ui32wU

Moon Tiara Action with the pizza had me genuinely rolling on the floor laughing. That was just awesome.

Famine Poodle posted:

No way. Promise of the Rose was the best movie by far.

Agreed, especially Moon Revenge at the end, probably the best Sailor Moon song of all times, sung by the seiyū of the Sailor Senshi over the very last part of the film. Epic, and anybody who did not do this should watch the Japanese version of Promise of the Rose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SDShamshel posted:

I know this is the Sailor Moon thread, but if you want a recent mahou shoujo anime with lots of wacky faces, then Heartcatch Precure is your answer.

In fact, someone made a music video out of that one character's expressions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQrt268LpDU

Naruto also has these moments quite often, or had because we are heading for the end of the story. Just like the last episodes of Sailor Moon were also very focused and serious, as was proper of course.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

atomicgeek posted:

I know neither of those things but BAM:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGa2yWvaILE

The whole episode is great. "Sailor Moon, how big is this room?"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Waffleman_ posted:

Once again, Jupiter is the best.

Sailor Galaxia!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I basically don't want them to continue, so that at least Michiru and Haruka are spared the butchering :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I can accept the sparser character development in the manga, but I thought the reimagined anime would take more time to focus on the Senshi. Being more faithful to the manga made me think of no demon tree poo poo, slightly different personalities for the main cast, quite a bit of difference in the overall story, etc. Instead it's basically one manga issue per episode, which I think was a very bad idea.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I haven't watched the "second season" of Crystal, but I will definitely turn in for my favorite Sailor Moon arc. If it's still bad, I can just stop watching it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I hope they make a Chrystal adaption of the whole manga, just so that I can see STAR GENTLE UTERUS again.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Those hand gestures were in the episode in which Uranus and Neptune "died" to reveal the talismans in their heart, and that is one of the best Sailor Moon episodes. Uranus, Neptune and Pluto rule anyway, I'm actually looking forward to this. Remember that the Outer Senshi theme was the best piece of music in the anime series (though Moon Revenge from one of the films is even better).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is what I was hoping for when they announced Crystal. The intro is indeed super gay, it's amazing. It looks gorgeous, and the story was good for the first episode of a season. We also had a really small glimpse of Kaolinite! :3:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rudoku posted:

The Outer Senshi theme will make or break this for me.

Definitely.

Here something that's a bit different:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
No Outer Senshi theme when Uranus and Neptune transformed, instead It's some lame, unremarkable soundtrack playing :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ALFbrot posted:

It was dubbed. Kind of the whole reason for this limited release is Viz's acquisition of the rights and their new dub.

It's not a bad dub, really. But the voices are far too loud compared to the rest of the soundtrack (maybe they didn't have audio masters and only had a pre-mixed dialogue-free track?) and there are some parts that just really don't sound quite right in English, but that's subjective.

edit: Though they ARE showing it subbed in some locations as well. The closest theater showing the sub was over 3 hours away, instead of 15 minutes, so

That's too bad. I admit it, Moon Revenge is my favorite Sailor Moon song.

• Locked thread