Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

aers posted:

There are translation errors but there's also basic English errors, like

For what it's worth, I don't believe "Cat can talk?" shows up in the version I saw on Hulu.

edit: welp, yeah it did say "Cat can talk," I just remembered it differently because that's pretty bad.

a cartoon duck posted:

So is this just on Crunchyroll and Hulu? Seems like it's just not available in Europe.
Should be available on NicoNico

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

:pwn:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Her flaw is that her eyes are misaligned like Sloth from the Goonies

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

So Ami is literally Judge Dredd reincarnated as a teenage girl. Got it.

Robocop.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I got the impression that was a bad translation. I think it was closer to "I'm a leader of A team," like she's just sharing her personal problems, not necessarily talking about the Senshi

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Jeez, the quality of the Viz release really is pretty bad

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Seems like a pretty good use of your time tbh

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Why is it watermarked goatse.bz

That's not canon

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Travis343 posted:

This episode had a big chunk where the Senshi (minus Jupiter, who was knocked out against a wall) transformed and gave a bunch of threatening speeches. Great for people who make .gifs on Tumblr but didn't do a whole lot to disguise the fact that about 5 minutes worth of plot happened in this episode.

I'm just kind of glad some of the other girls got to do something in this episode, even if it's just Jupiter and Mercury being suspicious and doing some investigating, and then Jupiter ruining everything for everyone

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

RMZXAnarchy posted:

How did she get brainwashed/possessed again? Talking to Motoki who was also under Endo's spell or whatever?

She walked straight up to "Endo" and was like "hey dude, what the gently caress"

Jupiter is not wise

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Do I have stupid eyes or something, because I've been watching the show on Hulu and I haven't noticed ghosting or serious issues, I think it looks ok?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

AzraelNewtype posted:

You perhaps have stupid brain for reading through the thread where people have pointed out, filled with frustration, that even though the hulu masters are not as good as the Italian DVDs, they don't have the primary problems of the blu-rays/DVDs. Your eyes are fine though :v:.

The DVDs have the same ghosting, so they were doing a bad thing to all their video. Also they ruined their DVDs with the encoded pillarboxing anyway, which is a special kind of incompetent that isn't predicated on the existence of Blu-ray.

Oh, whoops.

Is there any logic behind them using different masters for streaming than for home media encoding?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Look man, nothing is more important than Sailor Moon on DVD

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Eh. It wouldn't change anything even if they were. Just seems silly and belittling to say that forums poster AzraelNewtype is "taking this too seriously" when they're frustrated about this release.

Content:

I really like the new dub.
Wait, what's with the weird flashing in this GIF? If that's what the DVDs are like then, yeah, that's pretty bad

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I laughed really, really hard at Metalia just straight ion cannoning Kunzite and the gang. They were standing directly in front of her declared enemies, but I guess she didn't feel like doing anything to them.

Also, jesus were the drawings bad in this episode. I know Naoko drew some lengthy appendages, but these were truly awful.

Waffleman_ posted:

Crystal doesn't air on TV, I don't think.
Nope, just nicovideo.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

sailor_moon_crystal.jpg

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Travis343 posted:

I love the way the lines on that end in that perfect, rounded, default-line-draw-tool-in-Illustrator way

I feel like Illustrator should have a content-aware thing that says "Oh, no. Nooope." and makes you re-do your work after drawing something like that transformation pen

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

aers posted:

I would never allow a child to watch viz's poor excuse for a release. These ancient VHS rips have better video quality, and that's what matters
Ahahahahahaha

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Did you guys know that there's a phone number you can call, and it will play the audio of a full episode of the old dub for you

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Smoking Crow posted:

Post the number.

Rude

(850) 898-9559

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
It's a spot the differences game, but for every thing they fixed, they made something else worse

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

ConanThe3rd posted:

Oh well, at least Dark Kingdom gets across the finish line tomorrow.

I'm not even going to hope that Nemesis is much better.

Well, that was... boring.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Hell, they flubbed the pronunciation of Mamoru and Anime too. I don't recall the Japanese dub going MA-mo-ru, but rather Mah-mor-oo. And last I checked Ah-knee-may is not how Anime is pronounced.

And it doesn't seem like they announced anything else other than the voices of Ali and An (Ali is Brian Beacock, AKA Monokuma and ToS2 Lloyd Irving. I have no clue who An's VA is though.)

Mah-mor-oo goes counter to how Japanese is vocalized, the last syllable is pretty obviously "ru"

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Now that R has essentially wrapped up (minus the recap-preview episode before S), do we know if the movies are going to be part of the Hulu deal? I found one old blog post that said the movies were part of the licensing deal, but almost all the press was centered around the series and Crystal.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Violet_Sky posted:

I'd buy all of these! I'm a pretty small person by Western standards, (4'11) so I'm sure these can fit me! :)

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/03/20/new-sailor-moon-clothing-line-for-tokyo-department-store-may-be-the-most-stylish-and-elegant-yet/

I hope you are also a rice person, because drat.

Was there ever an explanation as to why Fiore from the R movie looks exactly like Ail and An? I wonder if they had designed him for the movie, and then when they realized that Naoko wouldn't have new chapters out in time to start the season, they just said "uhhhh just use that design" and scrambled the Makaiju arc together as fast as possible.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
More importantly, in Crystal, Mamoru got some kind of energy attack that is named after three different kinds of jackets

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I'm glad I could open everyone's eyes to the tuxedo truth

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Star Man posted:

I'm on a Sailor Moon nostalgia bender and am watching the new dub and subtitled episodes on Hulu. Because I haven't seen this show since the Clinton administration, I forgot that Makoto lived alone and that her parents were dead.

Like, I get that it's a cartoon with magical characters and all, but is a 14-year-old orphan living by herself a thing in Japan?

She's very capable

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

a cartoon duck posted:

Someone please gif that moment at 21:33 where the animation budget ran out.

*posts gif of entire run of show*

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

a cartoon duck posted:

Edit:

sailormooncrystal.gif. Credit to my pal Polsy for whipping this up.

Holy poo poo lol, yes, that is exceptional. Not just for the "animation," but for the dialogue.

"I just knew you'd come back."
"Same here."
"Sorry to worry you."
"We are back."

That's an excited reunion if I've ever seen one.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Super Sailor Moon is at least meaningfully different. If they do all the others, hoo boy

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Fluffdaddy posted:

That's some rose tinted nostalgia. The original show was a mess and had as many problems as the new one. It's just you are willing to ignore it's problems but not the new ones.

Is Crystal great? Of course not. It's mediocre at best. But some of you are acting like it shot your dog and that's it's very existence is some kind of personal affront. Just don't watch it goddamn

I have the rose-tinted nostalgia of "never watched any Sailor Moon until it began airing on Hulu last year" and I love the original, while Crystal alternately bored me to tears and amused me with its corner-cutting.

I'm partway through Super S right now (that's where Hulu is in its release schedule), and while it's nowhere near as great as S was, it's still a lot of fun. For as many horror stories as I'd heard about it, I'm pleasantly surprised.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I'm actually OK with how Viz puts the teaser after the OP, because as much as I like them, it's much easier to skip to the content.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Uranus's dub voice is one of the worst vocal performances I've ever heard (clips of, anyway), so maybe that had something to do with it

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
So, out of nowhere, the Infinity arc of Crystal has started and the first episode is on Hulu now.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
It's better than the first two arcs, but everything just feels really generic and bland.

All of the monsters are just big purple demon things, Mamoru has gone from endearingly ineffectual goofball to mean-spirited incompetent, both episodes have devoted about 70% of screentime to the transformations and catchphrases (much of which are directly the same as the original series, which begs a direct and unfavorable comparison), the attempts at comedy are pretty much just "put an SD face in an angular bubble on screen," the music for any non-action scenes is bland and wouldn't be out of place in a dating sim, etc. etc.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

a cartoon duck posted:

I must've missed the part where Mamoru's being a dick.

His attitude at the theme park felt a lot more put-upon and lovely than I think would've in the original series. He was basically like "yeah, other guy, sorry you also got roped into this bullshit." And then, even though he had his intensely dorky communicator watch, he took about half an hour to run a block and a half in search of his missing daughter.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

a cartoon duck posted:

so like he's being a dick because he isn't super exciting for being a babysitter?

Sulking around and pissing and moaning while your daughter is having a great time is typically regarded as such, you goon

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

a cartoon duck posted:

I already miss smiling shadow face Tomoe.

I thought this the entire time I watched Super S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Strange Quark posted:

Michiru rocking out on the violin for an attack is real good.

I meant to watch S sorta concurrently but ended up finishing binging through all of it today, haha. How is Supers? Everything I've heard about the Pegasus gives me pause.

Having just gone through the entire series for the first time, Super S is clearly the lowlight, but it's still entertaining. The first three villains are pretty fun, and the finale is pretty cool. Hope you like Chibi-Usa, though, because hot drat is her stink all over that season. The interaction with Pegasus basically requires that she be present and involved in ending every battle.

• Locked thread