Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

I want you to meet my little friend, Mister Stabby!
I still have the whole original series on DVD to tide me over til then, minus the infamous beach episode.

The only thing I heard about the delay was that they couldn't decide who the marketing was aimed at. Original fans? Little kids? Middle aged men?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

Dexie posted:

Been a while since I've watched the series. What's up with the beach episode?

The episode was left out of the "uncut" DVD boxset of the second season which was released by ADV. At first, the reason was given by ADV representatives that "the creator did not like it," however, it turned out that ADV had obtained their masters from DiC, who apparently lacked the episode master themselves.

source: http://wikimoon.org/index.php?title=The_Sea!_An_Island!_Vacation!_The_Senshi_Relax

Sorry for just copy/pasting that reply, but my migraine's getting worse and it's hard to type without a ton of typos. Hope that helps.

Amarie fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 16, 2013

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

busydelicious posted:

Also, just out of curiosity, how many of you guys bought the recently re-released manga translation of Sailor Moon? You think purchasing power in the west at all influenced the new series or no?

I did. The new translation isn't without flaws but it's much better than the Mixx/Tokyopop ones, most of which I still own. I'm sure a lot of people did what I did and bought them out of nostalgia, curiosity, and because the old volumes fell apart.

CaptainYesterday posted:

I still have a Sailor Moon wallscroll hanging above my bed at my parents' house. Going home is not a good time for a guest of mine.

Still have mine. No one ever sees it though.

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

ConanThe3rd posted:

I want to say she was behind that one dinosaur episode getting removed from R but that episode was bananas even by Ikuhara's standards.

Supposedly it's an excuse. The alternate story is that DiC lost the masters, I heard.

Amarie fucked around with this message at 11:34 on May 22, 2014

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

AndyP posted:

Technically, Crunchyroll free has ads, but unlike with Hulu, your adblocker should stop them.

Adblock Plus does it for me.

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

Mercury Hat posted:

At least this answered whether this new series is stuck in the 90s or not. Nice laptop :D . Wonder why no one seems to have cell phones.

For some reason it works out in this adaptation how they managed to keep a mix of the old (the arcade) with the new (the laptop and flat screens) and I am really loving the detail in the backgrounds, like the school library and the town shots. It makes it seem less generic than the original early anime.

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

They will probably fix everything in the DVD/BD release. Though you'd think they'd get it right the first time having delayed the show so long and taking 2 weeks between episodes.

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

it's not bad, but the animation mistakes and laziness show at points, and the CGI bits are rather jarring

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

Travis343 posted:

Also in this ep Minako does her best King Arthur impression but the sword is nowhere to be seen when they're fighting the generals so who knows.

e: That's something that's really starting to bug me about Crystal is how ahead of the game Sailor Venus is. She's pretty much a third Luna/Artemis figure who exists to explain the plot to the others and there's so little characterization for anybody besides Usagi she doesn't have any of the redeeming qualities of Venus from the old anime. She really comes across like she's ordering the others around because she knows literally everything and the rest of them act like it's fine because they're all BFFs now for some reason.

She's been Sailor V for a year at this point. She should know what she is doing. She doesn't get much civilian personality til later in the manga and in the Sailor V manga.

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

Travis343 posted:

They've kinda blown the whole "ultra faithful adaptation of the manga" thing already though. Theres still some really pretty animation happening and hell I'll watch pretty much anything with Sailor Moon on it. I'm not even gonna front.

Can't be any worse than SuperS and we still watched that.

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

Prince Reggie K posted:

People really didn't like SuperS? I didn't think it was really better or worse than any of the seasons overall. I really like the pegasus arc. Certainly better than crystal... I couldn't even make it through the first episode.

Some parts of it were not bad but the dream mirror part struck me as rather rapey. Plus no outers.

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

Snow Halation posted:

Not originally, since most western fans knew little about the manga in those days. It was more that SuperS didn't live up to S. The Outers are beloved.

Now? Definitely. While SuperS is widely disliked, I don't know anyone who dislikes the Dream arc of the manga.

For all SuperS' faults, it has the best music and art in the series.

Very much so

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

I like Heavy Metal Papillon, the only other Sailor besides Moon to have a child in canon. Pity she never made the cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

Pastrymancy posted:

What is the context of this?

Usagi's daydream in a beach filler

• Locked thread