Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Oh awesome. I was thinking about replaying this recently, but I don't have a tonne of time on my hands. Well, play New Game + to be specific. Still, awesome, I am happy this is here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ha, I'm lovin' the Heart to Heart updates already.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lethemonster posted:

I also like the fact that her death galvanizes more than just the 'love interest' to do something. All of her friends and brother are immediately ready to go and get revenge for her death.

I thought it was super refreshing that they weren't off to topple a maniacal demon overlord or fulfill an age old prophecy. Straight up revenge? A simple motive, but one I could believe and get invested in. If they toppled a few demon overlords and fulfilled a few prophecies along the way, so be it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lethemonster posted:

Does anyone watch the non-plot battles, or like periods of just the game sound and ambiance? Trying to work out if I need to come up with as much commentary coverage as I would want if I was watching, or if people want to just admire Shulk's snail hat occasionally.

I'm certainly not bothered if you drop some commentary. I don't feel it's necessary to have someone speak over the whole video, especially not if it allows you to speed up updates.

Also, get well soon!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

chrisoya posted:

I do have to ask, though - it might be endgame or new game plus spoilers, but does the name Shulk ever grow on you? It's so dumb.

No.

There's a "Shulk Egg Mine" in Morrowind, though, so now I like to pretend that it's named after the Xenoblade protagonist.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Definitely numb to it.

Also, I liked "Dunban" as a name. It's kind of like Duncan, and I like that as a wise-warrior-mentor-type kind of name.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

I really can't say much more without it being a spoilerfest. However, I felt, upon completing Xenoblade, an odd sense of completion, having followed the Xeno series since Xenogears back on the PS1. This was the one that took all the themes that the games leading up to it had been experimenting with and made a complete thought out of them, and restored my faith in Takahashi and co. As storytellers and pretty much guaranteed my eventual purchase of a Wii U for X, and only for X.

Tupperwarez posted:

Yeah, agreed 100%. He finally nailed it this time, I think. It's a real trip looking back at the Gordian Knot of Xenogears' narrative and comparing it to Xenoblade Chronicles' narrative. Xenoblade is a lot more focused and meanders a whole hell less than previous Xeno games, and benefits greatly from it.

Took the words right out of my mouth. It's hard to think of other game comparisons because the other Xeno- games are so such a strong influence.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lethemonster posted:

For big ones I will, the other thing preventing it was that it was a repost of what I thought was a crappy update. In addition to being confused that people actually subscribed to me of their own free will.

This bit was great, because it was so refreshing to hear the annoying child sidekick admit that he's a bit useless and should probably leave. Good ol'Reyn even tries to cheer him up, but no, he is well and truly useless, so back to Colony 9! Good riddance!

I mean, you'll make us proud, Juju.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Szurumbur posted:

I have question(s):
1) Early in the game it was stated that the Monado can't hurt humans (or Homs), so I thought it only works on the Mechon. But you end up slicing up wildlife with ease, so are only humans safe from it? Or is the nature all Mechon :tinfoil:
2) Is it just me, or is Shulk not that good in tactics? The last update had him rely on the visions a bit too much, not even trying to apply his own reflexes into dodging (which is weird, because if the enemy has two hand, and you're evading one of them, the other one does not disappear). Even without mind-reading, if he just stands like a moron while cowering his head, a reasonably fast opponent can easily change the direction of an attack.

2) makes me think that some time in the future Shulk'll rely on a vision, only to have it backfire horribly.

Also I like Alvis - he clearly enjoys being cryptic and mystical, and yet does not seem obnoxious.

1) Yeah, it wasn't super clear to me. At this point, I assumed that Homs were just the Monado's "Chosen People" who were exempt from its wrath. Oh, and I guess Telethia are exempt too.

2) Shulk's an R&D scientist from Colony 9, not a frontline soldier. If anything, I'd figure Reyn, Dunban, or Sharla would be better at tactics, all of them having considerably more military experience. Problem is, Shulk is the only one to be able to use the Monado.

Also, I like cryptic and mystical Not-Wilhelm too.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Vil posted:

Telethia aren't exempt in the same way. They're more "gently caress off, super Monado powers, we're all out-predicting you and super dodgy and poo poo" but it can smack them around just fine (when you can hit) - compare to an un-toppled Face Mechon who's perfectly hittable, but just takes 1 damage per hit.

I might be mis-remembering a later event.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, s'been fine. I haven't had any issues.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lethemonster posted:

They all refer to her as bird lady, oddly enough.

Melia is secretly the bag-lady from Home Alone II who feeds all the pigeons.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
What's even better is that Riki winds up being one of the more complex and interesting characters in the story. Some of the Heart to Hearts with him are brilliant.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ha, yeah, he also has so much HP that he's effectively immortal himself. Riki can make a surprisingly effective tank.

EDIT: people who ignored Riki because he was "the mascot character" really missed out.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Reyn: Good thing I'm here!!

No?

Anyone? :(

EDIT:

Reyn: How would you rate me in that battle?
Dunban: Amateurish!
Sharla: Yes, amateurish.
Reyn: Aw, man. After all my training.

Sally fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 20, 2013

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Tupperwarez posted:

I don't remember the exact dialogue, but there's a few where Reyn brags to Sharla and she shoots him down or ignores him. He sounds so crestfallen afterwards.

Reyn: I'm on fire! Sharla, did you see me? Did you see what I did!?
Sharla: Oh! I, uh, wasn't really looking.
Reyn: Aw, come on. That's not fair.
Shulk: *Laughs*

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Reyn: Just goes to show, brawn is better than brains.
Sharla: Oh no, I can't let that one slip by.
Melia: The head! Shoot him in the head!
Reyn: What? What did I say?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I think that was Dunban.

Dunban: Truly, Riki is the softest of all Nopon.

Melia: He's so cuddly, I could almost cuddle him to death!
Dunban: Riki may well be the softest of all Nopon.
Riki: Riki suddenly feel afraid!

Ardryn posted:

I'm partial to the one where Reyn gets sleepy after a battle, Shulk yells his name only for Reyn to start snoring, of course this is while the party is still running full tilt.

Shulk: Melia, are you tired?
Melia: No, I am fine. Reyn, however, I'm not so sure about.
Shulk: Reyn, wake up! Reyn!
Reyn: *Yawns* Sorry, sorry. Didn't get enough sleep. Why don't we grab some shut-eye?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Okay, Blind Sally, what's Shulk/Melia/Riki?

Ha, another good one!

Riki: Melly, Riki try really hard! You see it?
Melia: Of course, you sweet thing. Who's a brave boy?
Shulk: Um, Melia? Are you feeling okay?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I'm fine with screenshots for the sidequests. I enjoyed the way you handled the Heart To Heart with Fiora and Shulk and would be happy to see more of that style.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

MentholsNBeer posted:

Kind of unrelated, but if anyone in here has archives I would go read TheDarkId's Xenogears LP. It's his masterpiece.

It's absolutely stunning. A tour de force. A triumph for humankind. I absolutely second this as a read.

Edit: actually, I would note that if you're new going into Xenoblade and have never played any of its Xeno- predecessors, and are thus completely blind to the series and DON'T want to potentially spoil anything in this LP, you sjmhould avoid it.

There are many themes, tropes, and ideas that recurr throughout the Xeno- game. Once you've played one it gets a looooot easier to tell where the plot of another is going

Sally fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 24, 2013

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Vil posted:

Oh hey, didn't realize that's what it was. I can be pretty derpy if the name itself isn't in the topic title. :downs:

Ha, yeah, I didn't realize this either. I had a lot of fun with Xenosaga even if the whole thing is a bit of a mess.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Guest posted:

Am I the only one who finds Riki's voice unbearable? Also, that the character is 40 creeps me out because he acts like a huge man-child with his 8 kids who he can't afford to feed and his apparent glee at abandoning them all to go on an adventure. Admittedly I haven't played the game or seen his much lauded heart-to-hearts so this could all get addressed in some spectacular redemptive character arc.

Most of the complaints that people have brought up over the last few pages with regards to several members of the cast get addressed at some point later.

Some of which are only acknowledged through heart to hearts, so can be easy to miss in a playthrough.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I vote you do them in order they appear.

So: Shulk, then Ryen, then Sharla, etc.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TenaCrane posted:

Quoting both because this makes sense and it's hilarious which character you misspelled.

Haha, well snap. :downs:

I'd edit it, but it's funnier this way.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Use Xenoblade as an excuse to break your completionist habit? I used to be a crazy completionist about most games. As I get older, I find I have less time on my hands though, so I've trained myself so be able to put down the controller or do something different when I'm not really having fun. I finished Xenoblade without gathering any extra skill trees, for example.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Reoxygenation posted:

I also agree with the 'gently caress the High Entia tomb' sentiment, because I'm playing through the game while going for 100% completion, and that place is just really boring. Cool looking, but hella boring.

Ye gods, don't hurt yourself in the process! As much as I loved this game, I recently sold my copy to prevent myself from succumbing to urges to replay and 100% it. See, during my first playthrough I kept telling myself I'd come back and 100% the game on New Game+. But, as I progressed and the game's depth became apparent, that option seemed more and more unlikely. It's still one of the best RPGs I've played, but I just don't have the free time to replay it extensively.

So, uh, best of luck to you!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, pretty sure we're only half-way through.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's also Reyn Time 100% of the time. That alone should be enough to keep the party motivated to see their quest to the end.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I truly believed she had died in the beginning to serve as a typical catalyst to start the protagonist's journey for vengeance.

However, it became increasingly clear that she was still alive as more and more Face Mechon started talking to me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Eh, I put over 100 hours into the game and never grabbed anyone's fourth or fifth skill trees. I don't think they're super necessary, and I had no trouble beating the game without them.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DOOP posted:

So, do any of the heroes actually wonder why Homs are piloting Face Mechon like robo-suits or is it all "Fiora is alive" awe?

Isn't it the fact that they are immune to the Monado? Gives the Mechon a pretty sweet tactical advantage.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Reyn for the party banter, but Dunban was the most fun playable character.

Glazius posted:

This is interesting. It seems like Fiora's been overwritten by whatever Mechon personality is in her, but is that the case for the Homs in Metal Face? Or is the clawing a memory the Mechon can access like Fiora's love for Shulk?

I'm pretty sure this gets somewhat explained later on, so I'm hesitant to spoil stuff now.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This is actually a pretty difficult question, because the entire party was so drat likeable. I've also found that to be surprisingly rare in RPGs. There's usually three or four party members who I rotate through while I ignore the rest.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Outsource your commentary. I'm sure you can find goons eager to comment over your videos. You could even give them scripts so they said what you wanted them to during the LP.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
She has--what are they called, AIRDs?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

:stonk:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ha, ok, I'm gonna hold off on talking about Riki until that's up.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Dunban is a good listener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Heffer posted:

One question I have is: do non-homs get turned in to faced mechon? Is there a mechon-rikki out there?

I dunno if that's a spoiler, so I PMed you a reply.

• Locked thread