Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
White has lark and karmic guide too for some gy combo shenanigans. Mechanics like escape and delve could provide interesting tension with using your gy as a resource but possibly exiling relevant cards. Know wotc tends to avoid those types of mechanics in graveyard sets but I think it could be done right in cube. And as others have said, ways to interact will be important, so maybe not leyline of the void, but definitely stuff like crypt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Comedy option: something like Desert Cube but with (proxied) Bazaar of Baghdads and heavily skewing toward Black.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Brownhat posted:

I know it's been a while, cube thread, but what are some themes for each color you think of when you hear the words "Graveyard Cube?"

Probably something a bit like this.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Aston posted:

Probably something a bit like this.

did you just search graveyard cube that is loving awful

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
oh it's yours wow

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A non-singleton cube gives me the heebie jeebies

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Brownhat posted:

I know it's been a while, cube thread, but what are some themes for each color you think of when you hear the words "Graveyard Cube?"

If the big sticker from what I've been reading is what to do with White I think it leans towards a couple of cool things depending on your powerlevel and other directions.

Eggs style artifact and other non-creature recursion-combos, supporting an Aristocrats theme, and more straightfoward reanimator can all be done with various combinations of cards. On the Rare and such end, the classics like Second Sunrise and Faith's Reward can support both the first two themes alongside stuff like Proclamation of Rebirth supporting the aristocrats focus'd thing alongside the other classic enablers/sac engines and combo pieces and the good cheap creatures you'll want.

Besides that and also throwing in Whites own suit of straightfoward Reanimation spells I think those are good directions to consider besides just assuming white is gonna be the hate/control colour (realistically you want to spread the hate options around)

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

A non-singleton cube gives me the heebie jeebies
get over them.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
What’s everyone’s favorite vanilla or french vanilla creature in terms of art or flavor text?

I’m making a board game style cube for newer players and looking for easy-to-grok but still cool cards. Other cool top-down card suggestions also welcome!

(Crossposting from the main MtG thread in case anyone here avoids that place)

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

whydirt posted:

What’s everyone’s favorite vanilla or french vanilla creature in terms of art or flavor text?

I’m making a board game style cube for newer players and looking for easy-to-grok but still cool cards. Other cool top-down card suggestions also welcome!

(Crossposting from the main MtG thread in case anyone here avoids that place)

I'm particularly partial to Scathe Zombies - especially the "dudes milling about confused" art version.

Death of Rats fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 29, 2020

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
I am considering new cards from Commander Legends for my graveyard-matters cube. The blue throne (Court of Cunning) looked good, as you can mill yourself for value and/or mill your opponent as a blue win condition. I should note that I have no other 'mill your opponent' cards besides Brain Freeze (in my Cube, Blue has several different build-around-me 'win-con' cards that are all different).

However, milling your opponent 10 in a 1v1 game is very different than milling all your 60-card deck opponents in 4-player with 3 opponents. Is this card too good? Is it almost as obnoxious as 5-mana-mill-Jace? Is the play pattern not "Oh, neat card. I can mill myself for value" like I would hope, but instead normally just "Ah, an easy win con. I play this, block 1-3 times, draw some extra cards, and my opponent loses".

I would playtest this, but Covid etc etc

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

logis posted:

I am considering new cards from Commander Legends for my graveyard-matters cube. The blue throne (Court of Cunning) looked good, as you can mill yourself for value and/or mill your opponent as a blue win condition. I should note that I have no other 'mill your opponent' cards besides Brain Freeze (in my Cube, Blue has several different build-around-me 'win-con' cards that are all different).

However, milling your opponent 10 in a 1v1 game is very different than milling all your 60-card deck opponents in 4-player with 3 opponents. Is this card too good? Is it almost as obnoxious as 5-mana-mill-Jace? Is the play pattern not "Oh, neat card. I can mill myself for value" like I would hope, but instead normally just "Ah, an easy win con. I play this, block 1-3 times, draw some extra cards, and my opponent loses".

I would playtest this, but Covid etc etc

Only have some 1v1 sealed experience to speak of, but if Mill is at all viable for your cube the court is super strong. The mitigating factor is that if you're intending the cube to always be multiplayer the court does paint a "do not allow this person to start their turn as the monarch" target on that player's head.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Cross posting:

Posted in discord too but if folks ever wanna draft a power cube that some goons play, lemme know. We draft online and play on cockatrice.

https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/ii7

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I'm nearly finished building an AFR cube (4x each common, 2x each uncommon, 1x each rare/mythic), and I'd like to balance the set a little more.

Having drafted it a dozen or so times, and from watching plenty of drafts, B/R is the powerhouse color pair, and blue is woefully underpowered, so I'd like to tap the brakes a bit on B/R, and beef up blue a bit.
I'd like to know generally, what players think are good strategies to do this?

Looking at B/R, I think the big offenders making the deck Too GoodTM are:
-Dragon's Fire
-Hobgoblin Captain
-Price of Loyalty

There's also a notable lack of board wipe in the set. I don't really count Sphere of Annihilation here.

Looking at blue, I'm not exactly sure what makes it so bad, other than the format being too fast, but I think there are plenty of stinkers in here that could be upgraded to both withstand early aggro, and out-grind the venture decks.
I'm open to any suggestions on how I should approach this.
Bonus points for suggesting cards that are on-theme for D&D (Gaseous Form in blue, for example, is also a spell in D&D)

Thanks!

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I'm building a cube that was suggested by gavin verhey, which is "weird old border cards no one remembers but the text boxes are covered with post it notes you only get to remove as they resolve for the first time."

I'm thinking of these archetypes:

W: banding and the combat tricks get dumber from there
U: oops I milled myself again
B: alternate/additional casting costs (house rule for the cube is that you get a refund on mana if you could cast it cheaper after text reveal; if it has an additional casting cost you can't meet it fizzles)
R: I can't believe it's not an un-set (goblin game, chaos orb proxies, other direct damage with dumb targeting or value calculations)
G: this 5/5 is suspiciously low cost

I can't think of any good archetype for artifacts, might just use them as a free space where you can figure out what they do from name and reputation I'm also not sold on the G and U archetypes.

I'm also soliciting ideas for thematically appropriate cards or other forgotten mechanics like horsemanship.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Everything in U should be a flagrant color pie break, just because you can.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

GetDunked posted:

Everything in U should be a flagrant color pie break, just because you can.

Perfect. Found http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/list-of-color-pie-breaksbends/ and if there are more lists of extremely odd forgotten cards I'd love to see them.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
CubeTutor is shutting down at the end of the month, so get any lists off of it that you need before then.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

whydirt posted:

CubeTutor is shutting down at the end of the month, so get any lists off of it that you need before then.

Good. gently caress that site was awful.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Just moved to a place where I have a playgroup again, so I revamped my cube for the first time since like 2014. Pretty excited to finally get to play with cards that came out in the last 7 years. This is where I've settled for now: https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/anansi. I'm only breaking singleton on fixing lands. Otherwise, it's a pretty standard cube that focuses on keeping curves low to support aggro and midrange, while making sure that control is still viable.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 27, 2021

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Any reason you aren’t including other dual lands?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

uggy posted:

Any reason you aren’t including other dual lands?

Other duals are ABUR duals, but with downsides. I want to avoid those downsides to encourage 2-3 color decks. After the core of 3 ABUR duals + 2 Fetch lands, I do have a final slot for utility lands like man lands and horizon lands.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
How have you found it working? Are folks not running multi colored decks normally? I think balancing some downsides to running multiple colors is normally good, but 540 is definitely different than 360 for that. Duals have just gotten so good that I feel like the downsides very rarely really matter.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I've long run a similar double fetch double ABUR dual setup at 450 and it's great, I endorse and co-sign it. I do however also have some Wastelands floating around to prevent anyone going 4/5c without being punished.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Cube Cobra added multiplayer online drafting today :fap:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Holy poo poo why did I only see just now how huge a feature that is. Basically now I could draft my cube with scattered friends virtually, then everyone build the thing they drafted in Magic Workstation or whatever.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
We drafted a lot two winters ago with dr4ft.info and cockatrice, it worked out really cleanly. Online drafting is great for cubes like this

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I've got a giant binder of cards that've been accumulating since Shards of Alara, and I've got a few friends who haven't played much of any format before but who're interested in playing limited. Are there any good resources for advice on building a cube from scratch?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Music Theory posted:

I've got a giant binder of cards that've been accumulating since Shards of Alara, and I've got a few friends who haven't played much of any format before but who're interested in playing limited. Are there any good resources for advice on building a cube from scratch?

Oh yeah tons, I tend to like these ones but there are many others:

https://cubecobra.com/content/article/5f6051acdfc243103ad4b6db & https://cubecobra.com/content/articles/0 --> Cube Cobra is great for managing your cube and they've really stepped it up with their article game lately.

https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/the-cube-forum/articles-podcasts-and-guides -> A bit focused on the typical vintage cube experience, but good info.

http://mtgcube.blogspot.com/ -> This guy has been cubing forever and does pretty solid ratings for each set.

https://riptidelab.com/forum/forums/cube-talk.5/ -> Kind of the opposite of mtgsalvation -- they can be really niche but if you're planning on using cards/themes not found in typical vintage/modern/legacy cube, it can be pretty interesting.

Here are some of my cubes if you want to check them out: http://cubecobra.com/user/view/5d8a4733d6d574217d37d2b9 -- the Majors is a pretty straight forward Vintage styled cube, Minors/Juniors/Amateurs have more clear themes/lanes, and then the Bantams is just a good stuff cube I use to mess around with cards I want to try.

wtwtf123's cube is kind of the gold standard for vintage cubes (he posts here sometimes actually): https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/5d61aa23b8ec593ca4b76ca6

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jul 1, 2022

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Building a cube with folks is also really fun, just having people go through cards and pulling cards they think might fit the power level or theme. Cause then you have everybody having a say in how it’s built since they’re the ones playing and reps will let the group determine what’s good and or bad. Pretty quickly you determine what stuff just won’t get picked.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It's pretty easy to build the perfect cube, the real difficulty is getting 360 Mulldrifters.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Make a Mardu Burn cube with nothing but Prowess/Kiln Friend type creatures and direct damage spells

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

PJOmega posted:

It's pretty easy to build the perfect cube, the real difficulty is getting 360 Mulldrifters.

:yeah:

For real mulldrifter is such a great card and it's a drat shame it's mechanical flavor means it'll never get printed in a real limited environment again.

An all-star in most cubes for sure.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

For those that have/have played with a vintage power cube, how impactful are the conspiracy cards - I'm very interested in the cards that affect the draft portion like canal dreger and the like.

Also, how busted are cards like worldwake or the other conspiracies? Are they just mindless slam picks and not that great for cube?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Worldknit is beyond busted once people figure it out and most of those other powerful conspiracies ended up being unpleasant in my experience. But I absolutely love the draft matters cards and lore seeker is probably the consensus favorite card in our cube. We also run cogwork librarian and it’s well liked as well. Never tried canal dredger but now I’m curious—report back if you try it!

Pontius Pilate fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 30, 2022

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Strong echo the above. The conspiracies are very very strong - Worldknit feels like power, and the rest feel like BS. Draft-matters cards huge all around favourites for every playgroup.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Time for an upgrade. I went up to 720 and my old box was a bit cramped as a result...but more importantly the hinges pulled out their screws.

This one's too big. The 720 double sleeved cards only take up 1.5 of the rows. The lands and tokens are barely going to be more than half of the third row (so I might go back to sleeving the tokens again so they don't get beat up, and can certainly insert some dividers to make it an easier pile to search).

I also took this opportunity to snap up a pile of the new foil stained glass basics from the new set while they're really cheap, so finally my cube is truly, fully foiled out. I'd just been using the nonfoil full-arts from BFZ since that came out right as I first finished this thing.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Keep some pencils and small notepads in the empty space, to use as life/mana/storm counters

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Silhouette posted:

Keep some pencils and small notepads in the empty space, to use as life/mana/storm counters

That's a good idea, except there's no storm in my cube :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

COWARD