Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Where do you keep the sleeved land? We fill space with land and dice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

uggy posted:

Where do you keep the sleeved land? We fill space with land and dice

There are 3 rows inside. The center fits all of the mono-colored cards with some space to spare but it's full enough that it works.

The left has the colorless, nonbasic lands, and multicolored. I shoved a spare box of sleeves behind those but it's still pretty loose.

The right row has the pre-sleeved basic lands (I just went up to 50 of each, the stained glass foils from the latest set), and behind those are all the tokens, but there's a lot of space still.

I do have these cheap plastic deckboxes that are just sitting in a bin in the closet, maybe I can put those in there as spacers (and in case no one has a box with them they can use one).

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BaronVonVaderham posted:

There are 3 rows inside. The center fits all of the mono-colored cards with some space to spare but it's full enough that it works.

The left has the colorless, nonbasic lands, and multicolored. I shoved a spare box of sleeves behind those but it's still pretty loose.

The right row has the pre-sleeved basic lands (I just went up to 50 of each, the stained glass foils from the latest set), and behind those are all the tokens, but there's a lot of space still.

I do have these cheap plastic deckboxes that are just sitting in a bin in the closet, maybe I can put those in there as spacers (and in case no one has a box with them they can use one).

How in the world did you get 50each of the foil stained glass and not get murdered on shipping?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

PJOmega posted:

How in the world did you get 50each of the foil stained glass and not get murdered on shipping?

Opening 3 collector boxes was a good start, but knowing the owner of my local store so they would set aside a few piles is the key.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The fact that Bundles come with standard basic land packs instead of fancy full arts is criminal

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Silhouette posted:

The fact that Bundles come with standard basic land packs instead of fancy full arts is criminal

All the land could be full art if they wanted. Makes you think.....

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Now that I got fancier dividers this is filling out a bit more.

I'm a little disappointed in the design of this box as time goes on. It's hard to get stuff out of the two edge columns because there's a track the lid slides into; unless the cards are all the way over to the right/left, they bump into that. I can live with it, but it's annoying. I might try adding a felt strip or something to push those columns of cards away from the wall a bit to avoid that.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Hey folks, I’m considering pulling together cards to do some cube drafting, but I normally play with a pretty small group of four. We’re currently regularly playing commander, but I wanted to spice things up with something new. Any advice on how to handle this? I’m not entirely sure if it’ll work to just do the normal 8-player size pool and only do three packs each. Six packs each doesn’t seem like a good spittoon either.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just try looking at a bunch of other cubes and see what you like, and then steal those ideas. After you play with it enough, keep what you like and experiment with the stuff you don't.

https://cubecobra.com/explore

Cube Tutor, the old good cube site that died, used to have an "average cube" for 360, 450, and 720 cards that was an average of every uploaded cube on the site, where you could see what everyone else was doing. The one thing I noticed from that is that the average can be was not totally balanced in colors, because the more legacy and vintage focused would have a natural blue bias.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I like doing team sealed with four players.

If you want to draft, you can use more than 45 cards per players but have players “burn” picks into a common discard pile so everyone sees more cards without having more actual cards during deckbuilding.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Sorry for casting necromancy on this thread, but I'm making a new legacy-ish cube and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions. The list is here: https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/4tjv5

It'll mostly be played with 4-6 players, which is why it's 360 and I've avoided the usual combos, like twin, show and tell, reanimator, etc. My logic for that is that the combos take up a lot of slots for cards that are sometimes unplayable by themselves (or just not that interesting). And if you're doing a 4 player draft, you might never draft the other half of your combo and just lose to the player that finds twin. So I'm intending to keep it more aggro vs. midrange vs. control, but we'll see how that plays out. I've also avoided things like wurmcoil and craterhoof and replaced them with cards like skysovereign and decimator of the provinces. So weaker versions of those cards that allow more counterplay.

I'll probably remove the checklands and replace them with dual lands. I'm missing some duals so I'll just take the dominaria typed taplands and sharpie out the etb tapped text.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This is kind of generalist advice that may be missing some particulars of yours that I missed after giving it a ~10 minute twice over, but one mistake I think you've made that is actually quite common for cubes is underestimating the requirements for a proper aggro deck to work. The crux of the issue is that in order for an aggro deck to not run out of gas and get out-valued by a typical cube midrange goodstuff pile, it needs to hit the ground running and do it reliably, and it can't compromise. In a cube that isn't deliberately low powered, an aggressive one drop creature (2 power without a significant drawback, sometimes with upside) is extremely strong on turn one, decent on turn two, and then gets pretty bad after that. So if you're going to include them in a deck with mind to be aggro, you need to have a sufficient density of them that you can reliably get one on turn one and then end the game quickly enough that you're not topdecking them on turns 5-7 against larger threats that make them irrelevant. You also need to be able to cast them on turn one, which means either picking up a lot of support in one color or having a few dual lands that come in untapped on turn one.

This is not necessarily something you'll want to design for, because it has a lot of requirements - identifying which colors you want to have aggro support (usually white, red, black) and including several each aggressive one and two drops for each of those colors, plus land to support it. In small cubes, some people accomplish this by having asymmetric dual land cycles - control color pairs get powerful etbt duals like Celestial Colonnade, aggro color pairs get reliable fast duals like Mirrodin/Kaladesh fastlands for WBR pairs, etc.

But that all has the tradeoff of cutting more cards from those colors. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to do that, especially in a small sized cube.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

That looks like some very good advice, thanks! Yeah my main concern with this cube is that value midrange will be too dominant. Having a good density of 2-power one drops makes a lot of sense if you want to support aggro. It's a shame that it takes up so much slots for cards that mostly aren't that interesting. But on the other hand, you probably don't want most of your games to be only about midrange cards with a bunch of text. Dang, designing a cube is really hard.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah it is really tricky to balance several different archetypes and the smaller the size the harder that is. Honestly with only 360 cards I'm not sure if it is worth it to try to support a fast aggro deck.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

hey mom its 420 posted:

That looks like some very good advice, thanks! Yeah my main concern with this cube is that value midrange will be too dominant. Having a good density of 2-power one drops makes a lot of sense if you want to support aggro. It's a shame that it takes up so much slots for cards that mostly aren't that interesting. But on the other hand, you probably don't want most of your games to be only about midrange cards with a bunch of text. Dang, designing a cube is really hard.

FWIW, midrange tends to spring up on its own, without any support. It just steals aggro's top end and control's bottom end to Frankenstein up a decent value pile.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Its pretty much the default. All draft decks become midrange unless specialized in another direction.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The density of Red and White one drops for aggro seem pretty fine to me to support aggro. I'd just swap out Soul-Scar Mage for a 2 power one drop, one of the Falkenrath Vamps or a Ragavan. The number of aggro cards at 360 rivals the MTGO vintage cube's at 540.

I'm biased against Soul-Scar Mage as I don't think it's good in Mono red aggro, and UR would rather have DRC at that spot. Unless a cube is running Chainwhirler, then I want to try to live the Soul-Scar Mage dream. That reminds me, I like Seasoned Hallow Blade as a white 2 drop 3/1 aggro creature over Adanto Vanguard in a Cube that features Grim Lavamancer. Boros aggro can just dominate a game with those two cards in combination. But I'd probably remove Seeker of the Way or Wall of Omens before Vanguard as I just don't think those cards are interesting or lead to interesting decisions.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Soul scar is medium until you run up against the big green idiots deck, then those -1/-1 counters make all the difference

Propane C3H8
Jul 27, 2006

TASTE THE MEAT NOT THE HEAT
How are people liking the current iteration of the Vintage Cube on MTGO? It looked reasonable to me, and it was always one of my favorite things to draft around the holidays so I pulled the most recent list I could find on Cubecobra and printed it through MPC.

https://cubecobra.com/cube/overview/modovintage

It's a little late to make massive changes, but if anyone has any suggestions/cut cards and themes worth adding back in from prior iterations, I'm interested.

I'm also working on a 3D printed storage solution with my friend. Basically a large rectangular tray with an acrylic pane retained by a couple of threaded metal closures. Trying to fit 3 rows of 12 Cubamajig containers and 50 of each basic. Any suggestions or prior experience with cubamajigs would also be helpful.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Propane C3H8 posted:

How are people liking the current iteration of the Vintage Cube on MTGO? It looked reasonable to me, and it was always one of my favorite things to draft around the holidays so I pulled the most recent list I could find on Cubecobra and printed it through MPC.

It's a little late to make massive changes, but if anyone has any suggestions/cut cards and themes worth adding back in from prior iterations, I'm interested.

I'm also working on a 3D printed storage solution with my friend. Basically a large rectangular tray with an acrylic pane retained by a couple of threaded metal closures. Trying to fit 3 rows of 12 Cubamajig containers and 50 of each basic. Any suggestions or prior experience with cubamajigs would also be helpful.

I don't know how much they matter in the card list you're working with, but a slot for tokens might be nice if you're already custom-building the box.

Propane C3H8
Jul 27, 2006

Railing Kill posted:

I don't know how much they matter in the card list you're working with, but a slot for tokens might be nice if you're already custom-building the box.

I think that's a good idea, but I'm already running up against the size of the build plate. It almost perfectly fits as configured, but if it got too much larger and it would need to be assembled from multiple pieces.

Propane C3H8
Jul 27, 2006

Just an update showing some progress from that design to (almost) completion.

The lid design is still evolving. Started out with screws, but the tolerances and threading didn’t work, so now we are attempting flexible detents that fit into those holes. Any other suggestions?

The MPC cards were not super cheap, but I’m very happy with the finished product.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
That's awesome.

I'm really looking forward to getting an electrician to put outlets in my garage so I can do some woodworking again, I'd love to attempt something like that.

Propane C3H8
Jul 27, 2006

Final product

About 8 lbs fully loaded.

$250 in proxies
$60 in sleeves
$50 in cubeamajigs
$40 in filament

~$400 total, which wasn’t cheap, but makes me feel better when you consider it against the cost of actually buying these cards (about $25,000).

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

drat that’s nice

Do you have a list of what’s in the cube?

Propane C3H8
Jul 27, 2006

whydirt posted:

drat that’s nice

Do you have a list of what’s in the cube?

It’s the most recent vintage cube list from modo, but I figure I can update it or change it as I want.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Propane C3H8 posted:

Final product

About 8 lbs fully loaded.

$250 in proxies
$60 in sleeves
$50 in cubeamajigs
$40 in filament

~$400 total, which wasn’t cheap, but makes me feel better when you consider it against the cost of actually buying these cards (about $25,000).

That's excellent work!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm currently polishing up my MtGO vintage cube and am wondering - what's everybody's recommended storage options? Gonna be getting cubeamajigs for the packs, but what about to store those and all the cards?

I'm not a cool woodworker and don't do 3d printing unfortunately :smith:

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm currently polishing up my MtGO vintage cube and am wondering - what's everybody's recommended storage options? Gonna be getting cubeamajigs for the packs, but what about to store those and all the cards?

I'm not a cool woodworker and don't do 3d printing unfortunately :smith:

The Podamajigs are pretty nice: https://hitpointpress.com/podamajig...DBoC31oQAvD_BwE

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hopefully they have fixed up the issues with the inner tray from their Kickstarter. I have one of those, and the inner plastic liner is cheap as poo poo.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
The storage and transport I use:

https://dexprotection.com/product/supreme-game-chest/

540 double sleeved on the bottom row, lands in the top center, tokens (plus infinitokens and short dry erase markers in my case) in one box, dice in the other. Extra sleeves / boosters / jumpstart packs tucked away here and there to make everything snug and I throw this thing in my backpack. Haven't had any issues yet.

I don't use cubeamajigs or anything for packs though. They probably won't fit. To create packs I just deal out stacks of 15 or a big stack divisible by 9 if we're going to grid draft.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
my buddies/brother and I use an old WW2 army barber trunk. It fits 555 with like 80 of each land, tokens and stuff are in a fat pack box

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155852390290?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28&srsltid=AfmBOopdCzlE4dFi0QZ5LeLlPBliGhJ53X9jtQyXRTxOiTiqZF6zMi3bcn0

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I really liked the quiver even if I barely got to actually play this cube. I think I meant 30 basics each but I think it's more like 15 basics of each color.

GoutPatrol posted:

I picked up a Quiver to hold my cube. Besides the weird DHL international shipping problem, the actual product is great. Holds my standard cube plus around 30 basics sleeved. Extra space on top for dice and other junk. And then I was keeping it on the floor of my scooter while driving and it fell on the ground. And it survived!

Cube on left, lands on right, tokens unsleeved (I've though about putting them in penny sleeves but...nah.) Still need to pick up those cube booster packs but I hope that will happen in a month.

Closed, it is about the size of a flute case. Shoulder pack makes it easy to carry and the little zipper holster is there so one zipper can't magically unzip itself I think.

New tokens from cubeamajig. I thought about getting all custom tokens for the cube but I like some of the real arts more.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

AngryBooch posted:

The storage and transport I use:

https://dexprotection.com/product/supreme-game-chest/

540 double sleeved on the bottom row, lands in the top center, tokens (plus infinitokens and short dry erase markers in my case) in one box, dice in the other. Extra sleeves / boosters / jumpstart packs tucked away here and there to make everything snug and I throw this thing in my backpack. Haven't had any issues yet.

I don't use cubeamajigs or anything for packs though. They probably won't fit. To create packs I just deal out stacks of 15 or a big stack divisible by 9 if we're going to grid draft.

Ditto on this solution, almost exactly on how it's used. I've had it for probably 6 or 7 years; works great.
Bottom row has the main part of the Cube (double-sleeved; no cubemajic)
Top middle has the basic lands
Top right has the tokens

Top left has a "bonus section" for my Legacy Cube, which turns it into a Vintage Cube (~50 cards, labeled with a sticker in order to sort later. Cards include Power 9, Conspiracies, Unglued, etc that would be too powerful for just a Legacy cube)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Yessssssss

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wow those look clean as hell

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I just wholesale snagged the MtGO vintage cube, since this is just 102% gas is it just for randomizing all the cards, then 15 per pack?

I think usually there's rarity and stuff involved per pack in other cubes? Idk I'm an absolute cube noob

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Most cubes shuffle up packs 100% randomly

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Johnny Truant posted:

So I just wholesale snagged the MtGO vintage cube, since this is just 102% gas is it just for randomizing all the cards, then 15 per pack?

I think usually there's rarity and stuff involved per pack in other cubes? Idk I'm an absolute cube noob

My method, towards trying to generate a distribution of cards that is more uniform/typical of magic packs (more uniform number of colors and types per pack):

1. sort the cube by stacks. Typical stacks: 5x color, artifact/colorless, land, multi-color.
2. shuffle each stack
3. pick a number of cards per player, in total. If you want 15 cards per pack per player, then 3x15= 45 total cards.
4. pick a number of 'output' stacks to create. No exact method to pick this number...Best explained by example below.
Note that shorter stacks will have less variance, and taller stacks more variance. That is, really tall stacks can cause packs with 6+ blue cards to happen more often
5. Divide up each stack from step 1 into N 'output' stacks, where N was chosen in step 4. Each 'output' stack will contain cards from each input stack, like a cake
6. Each player chooses an output stack, shuffles it, then creates 3x packs of the size chosen in step 3.

Example:
Cube is 500 cards.
You choose 45 cards per player, so stacks need to be at least 45 cards.
You have 6 players. If you choose '8' for output stacks just so there will be less variance per stack, then 500/8 ~= 62 cards per stack. 62 > 45, so that's fine
Each output stack of 62 cards will have some number of red/blue/.../artifact/land/multi-color cards.
After shuffling, then picking 45/62 cards to use for packs, the distribution of cards per pack should be more uniform than if you had just shuffled the entire cube and chosen 15 cards at random, while still allowing for more randomness than forcing each pack to have exactly 2 blue,2 red, 2 green, ... cards.
Leftover output stacks and the 17 cards per output pack go back in the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
The variance is the point, just shuffle normally

The modo cube doesn’t have balanced colors either, right?