Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
My cube: https://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/72

It's Peasant, with 370 cards. First, mad props to whydirt, whose cube I copied pretty much card for card to start out. I started at 360 and just added 1 additional gold card for each guild because there was a bunch of fun gold cards that I wanted to run and just couldn't find room for. I really enjoy Peasant cubing because the games play out more like limited than constructed, which I really find appealing. It's also really satisfying maximizing all of your resources, rather than being able to rely on a couple bomby cards to carry you. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions and would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Nibble posted:

So basically, Empty the Warrens.
Grapeshot isn't embarrassing, either.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
For a 360 cube, where you'll have at most 8 people drafting at a time, 30 of each basic will suffice in the vast majority of cases. You may be able to get away with a little less if you have lots of nonbasics to support your multicolor theme.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
I run a Peasant cube, and the way I handle that situation is to run premium removal, but to limit the amount of it. For instance, I run Go for the Throat and Doom Blade, but not Ultimate Price. I think as long as you're keeping the balance of your cube in mind when adding/removing cards, you'll end up in an okay place.

EDIT: For the record, I feel that aggro and control are pretty well balanced in my cube. I ran a 6 man team draft a few weeks ago with a good mix of aggro, midrange and control decks, and nobody 3-0'd or 0-3'd, just as an example.

revengeanceful fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 25, 2013

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
For Peasant, I think the only auto-includes are the Green and Black Curses. Nothing else really caught my eye. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet, but I'm excited to.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
You sound a lot like me in terms of what you're looking for in a cube experience. I'm a strong believer that peasant cubes strike the perfect balance between power level and accessibility that make for a rewarding play experience for players of all levels. One quick note on cube size, I think if you're getting above 450 for a peasant cube, you're going to quickly see a drop-off in card quality.

As far as control decks go, I'd echo a lot of the sentiments that Bonus put out there. Creatures at higher mana costs at common and uncommon just happen to generally be worse than the creatures at lower mana costs, so we have to be a lot more selective in what we allow into the cube. For me, the only 7+ drop creatures in my cube are either green or colorless, and are almost exclusively played by the green ramp deck. Control decks usually win by using efficient removal and countermagic to control the board, and then bury their opponents with card advantage using things like Crystal Shard + creatures with ETB effects, Azure Mage, etc. Haunter of Nightveil has done a TON of work in control decks in my cube.

For pet cards, I think that's one of the best parts about owning a cube. You get final say as to what cards are good/fun enough to make the cut, within reason of course. If you think Skarrg Guildmage is good enough for your cube, and it's doing work, then it really doesn't matter what other people are/aren't doing. If it's working for you, that's all that really matters. Personally, I started with a 360 card cube and had to push it to 370 because I just couldn't find room at 360 for an additional multicolored card for each guild, each of which is sort of a pet card for me.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Strictly within Peasant, the only good ETB untapped lands for aggro are Gemstone Mine and City of Brass. Beyond that, you have to start breaking the rules of Peasant by adding rare lands. I'm considering replacing the guildgates in my cube with Ice Age/Apocalypse pain lands, but I realize that at that point I would no longer have a Peasant cube, strictly speaking.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of great reanimation targets at the Peasant level. You've got most of the ones that I have. Others for you to consider are Trostani's Summoner, any of the landcycler guys like Twisted Abomination, Benthicore, Walker of the Grove, Ulamog's Crusher. That's pretty much all I can think of off the top of my head.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Kasonic posted:

Speaking of bombs, are there any Peasant cards that have been found format-warping? I've barely played it in its new 450-count form, but the current suspects in my cube are:

-Meekstone, which I've already removed after a newer player went 3-0 with this and four-color bears
-AEther Vial
-Skullclamp
-Waterfront Bouncer
-Pestilence/Pyrohemia

I don't play Aether Vial because I don't think it's consistently good enough to warrant inclusion, especially since you only get one. Skullclamp is obviously bonkers good, and it's on my banlist. Waterfront Bouncer isn't in my cube because I'm pretty sure it's just not very good most of the time. Think of it this way: how often is the card in your hand going to be worse than Unsummon? I would guess that the answer is "not very often". Sure it turns extra lands into something better, but I still think there's better things to be doing. I agree that Pestilence/Pyrohemia could be overpowered, but I just added Pestilence to my cube so it's going to stick around for a little longer.
Cards that I don't play because I think they're format-warping are Sol Ring, Skullclamp, Loxodon Warhammer, Behemoth Sledge, Ghostly Prison, Propaganda, and Timely Reinforcements. Cards I don't play because of monetary reasons are Mana Drain, Library of Alexandria, and Maze of Ith (these are also probably format-warping, so they're really not ever coming in).

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Thanks for the advice! I think I may end up dropping my tribal idea and just using some of the more efficient beaters. Even without tribal support, I think I might try to throw in some Wolf-themed cards for kicks like Howl of the Night Pack. Alternatively, would throwing in a handful of rare "build around me" cards into a mostly peasant cube terribly unbalance things? I was thinking 3-4 for each color, generally stuff like a few M13 Legends, or stuff that might open up another strategy like Splinterfright.

One last (set of) question(s)- What sort of portion of the cube should be gold? I'm aiming for a a cube around 450 cards, and finding it hard to come up with a good guideline for mulitcolor inclusion. Should I handle Hybrid differently than gold?

I think a few build-around rares in an otherwise peasant cube is a great idea and is something I've been kicking around for a while, but haven't had the time to really sit down and figure what that would mean for my cube. There are some rares that aren't that much more powerful than uncommon, you just have to find the right rares so that you don't unbalance things too much.

The rule of thumb that I've read is that you should have ~1 gold card for each guild for every 100 cards in your cube. So at the 450 level, this would mean about 4-5 per guild. I don't include mana fixing cards in that count, nor do I include hybrid cards (except ones like Boggart Ram-Gang that will only really ever be played in the specific two-color deck). Most hybrid cards in my cube get classified in their own section, and they all count as half of a card of each of their colors. For instance, Dryad Militant counts as half a white card and half a green card. This helps me ensure balance among the colors even when considering hybrids.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

edit: RE: multicolored chat, I actually found my cube setup previously had way too much fixing at 540, due to the overall mediocre card quality of the cube, and the prevalence of fixing rocks with Cluestones + Signets + 25 odd fixing lands. I didn't even have all that much multicolored, but splashing and running 5cc ramp/removal/powerful effects seemed really good compared to the really mediocre aggressive strategies. This was probably more a function of bad aggro support than anything else, but cutting most of the mana rocks while leaving fixing lands has let me cut down while keeping a sizable multicolor section and feeling like splashes and dual-cost cards are quite playable. I'll probably still tweak it, I eventually want to replace gates + panoramas + 5 other slots with bounce lands + ice age pain lands for better overall fixing quality, but I don't quite have the MTG budget to dump into buying that upgrade right this second, before I tune other parts of the list.

This is actually really easy to do with a peasant cube. There's so much fixing available (signets, karoos, gates, refuges, etc.), that if you're not careful you can easily go overboard with it. I really think that you should run the minimum mana-fixing possible to make 5-color viable once every couple drafts, otherwise you end up in the situation where everyone's just picking the best cards and scooping up whatever fixing they need to play them. I feel like I've found that balance in my peasant cube, though I am always looking for ways to make it better. My list is here, for the curious: https://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/72

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
You have to change the color identity manually in the Edit List area, where you can also specify the set/rarity/foil status/etc of all the cards in your cube.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
I know a lot of cubes have Avenger of Zendikar as a big green fatty for the ramp deck. Terastodon and Craterhoof are also both popular choices, but they also tend to get snapped up by the reanimator/Show and Tell/Eureka decks.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'd been planning out a cube for a while but it's just prohibitively expensive and I'd rather build a peasant cube than plan a non-peasant one that never gets built. Are there any resources for focusing on peasant specifically?

The MTG Salvation forums have a subforum dedicated to Peasant and Pauper cubes. The people there are actually really helpful. I also have a Peasant cube myself if you have any questions. My cube is on Cubetutor if you want to take a look: https://www.cubetutor.com/viewlist/72

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
You can use tappedout.net, but you'll probably need to organize the people you want to draft with since it's a bit hit or miss to find 7 other people that want to draft with you.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
wtwlf123's cube, which you can find on the MTGSalvation forums, is pretty much the go-to powered cube as far as I know.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

whydirt posted:

I'm wanting to explicitly make my (peasant) cube more newbie-friendly, as I often get players who are completely new to cubing and often relatively new to Magic in general. Up until now, I've used old card frames wherever possible because I started playing back in olden times, enjoy the frames personally, have a secondary goal is to expose players to cards they may never have seen before. However, I'm thinking of switching as many cards as possible to the modern frame in order to increase consistency of presentation and clarity of rules templating. I'm okay with 1-2 cards per pack keeping the old frame, so I'm not going to cut cards just because they only exist in the old frame in part because there are very few cards in my cube that only exist in the old frame (a lot of this is from WotC reprinting strong C/U cards in various precons like Duel Decks and Commander).

My gut feeling is that cubing is inherently complex due to the singleton rule and using unfamiliar cards to newer players, so any way I can reduce the learning curve is probably helpful. Any thoughts on this?
Yeah, you're going to have a hard time making any cube really newbie friendly without toning the complexity way down just due to the nature of cube. I guess one thing you could do is ignore the singleton rule, which could help you reduce board complexity and strategic complexity a bit by including multiples of the more straightforward cards. At that point you're not really talking about "cube" any more, per se, but it could help solve your conundrum.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

whydirt posted:

I think I'm talking past everyone. I'm not looking to change any existing cards. All I was asking if people think using new frames on cards that have both options makes a noticeable, even if it is small, difference. Coming up the other suggestions is fine, but not what I'm looking for.
I don't think increasing your usage of the new frame in and of itself will make things better, but you'll probably get some small benefit by using cards that have better/clearer language on their newer versions, like Clone.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Kleedrac posted:

I've recently got into cubing but as a broke college student I decided to make a Peasant cube. http://kp0.ca/13 here's my current list, I started with the generic 450 Peasant cube from cubetutor, spent some time balancing colors and then just adjusted to taste. Mikujin helped me quite a bit and told me to check in here :)
Looks like a great start! I'd caution you to keep an eye on Loxodon Warhammer, Skullclamp, and Sol Ring. I've found the first two to be way too good for my Peasant cube, and I've never included Sol Ring in my list because it's one of the most broken cards in Powered cubes, so I'm certain it's well above the power level of a Peasant cube. I'm not a huge fan of Terminate, just because it's kind of boring and there's way more exciting things you can do with Rakdos like Shambling Remains, Rix Maadi Guildmage, or Bituminous Blast. Most importantly, I'd recommend you just put it together and start playing it with your friends. Your group's experiences with your cube should inform how you tweak it from whatever your starting point ends up being.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Kleedrac posted:

I also had reservations with those same 3 cards but I was worried about the lack of good equipment at c/u. Can you guys recommend me some good equipment for Peasant to replace these three?
So far I'm thinking:
-Sword of the Meek
-Inquisitor's Flail
-Trepanation Blade
Thoughts?
The unfortunate thing is there's not a lot of great equipment at this rarity, but people have had good luck with Silver-Inlaid Dagger, Darksteel Axe, and Mask of Memory.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Entropic posted:

There's a whole bunch of stuff that's fun for Peasant cube. Forlorn Pseudamma and Satyr Nyx-Smith went straight into mine, along with Noam Trompsky and Archetype of Courage.

Drown in Sorrow straight up replaced Infest. And there's a couple others like Servant of Tymaret and Fall of the Hammer that I'm tempted by.
For my Peasant cube, I went with Fanatic of Xenagos, Thunder Brute, Satyr Nyx-Smith, Spiteful Returned, and Archetype of Courage. I didn't want to add a second RR spell, so Searing Blood didn't make the cut. I initially wanted to find room for Forlorn Pseudamma, too, but it's just so slow. If you're not restricting yourself to more recent sets, you can definitely find better black four-drops.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
That was the swap I was considering as well, but man does it take a long time before Pseudamma's 2/2s start to become relevant. Cast it on turn 4, attack on turn 5, untap on turn 6 and make a 2/2 with summoning sickness. Turn 7, you finally get to attack with your 2/2, as long as your opponent doesn't have something bigger than that of course. Yeah, you'll probably eventually overwhelm your opponent with 2/2s if they can't kill your Pseudamma, but most decks I've seen in my cube have a way of dealing with a 2/1.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Kleedrac posted:

My Peasant cube has been updated using some of the advice in this thread! I'd love some more comments! http://kp0.ca/13
I did a quick comparison to my cube using Cubetutor's Compare Cubes tool, and here are the thoughts I came up with.

*Overall, your cube is probably ready to just get sleeved up and drafted once you have all the cards. You're in a very good place.

*You should consider Lashknife Barrier in your white section. It's been one of the best white cards in my cube since I put it in. Makes combat a nightmare for your opponent and blanks a lot of burn spells.
*I'm not a fan of Knight of Cliffhaven. Spending two turns to make a 2/3 flyer seems pretty subpar. Accorder Paladin, Daring Skyjek, Mistral Charger and Youthful Knight would all be fine replacements.

*Brainstorm is a bad card in Peasant cube because there aren't enough shuffle effects. Draw 3, put 2 back is just a really underwhelming effect if you can't get rid of the 2 that you put back. Looking more closely, I see you run the Panoramas, so Brainstorm is probably better in your cube than mine, but I'm still not a huge fan.
*I would probably run Calcite Snapper instead of Wall of Frost. It serves a similar function of being a beefy, hard to remove "wall", but also has the upside of being a finisher and can just beat down on an empty board.

*Servant of Tymaret seems underwhelming. You may want to consider one of Chittering Rats, Dead Reveler, Mogis's Marauder, or Ogre Marauder instead.
*You should be running Curse of Shallow Graves, probably in place of Buried Alive. I see that you have a lot of support for the reanimation strategy in your cube, but I've found that there's just not enough good targets for it at the common/uncommon level to make that strategy particularly viable.

*I'd try to find room for Goblin Bombardment and Lust for War in red. They're consistently two of the best red cards in my cube. Bombardment makes all your opponent's removal really bad and combos well with Threaten-type effects, and Lust for War forces your opponent to race you even if they don't really want to.

*Curse of Predation definitely deserves a spot in your green section. Holy cow does that card get out of hand fast if left unchecked.

*I'm still not a huge fan of Terminate and Mortify as cards in the multicolor section. I'd rather have cards that do something unique in my multicolor slots, but that does come down to personal preference.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Yeah I get all of that, I just don't think it's good enough even for an underpowered format like Peasant cube. If I'm looking for a bear with upside, I'd look to Syndic of Tithes before I look at something like Knight of Cliffhaven because it encourages me to develop my board rather than encouraging me to go all-in on one guy. Also, to clarify, it would be 4W for a 2/3 flying, which is quite poor in Peasant cube. I do understand how good leveling creatures can be, which is why I run Beastbreaker of Bala Ged in my cube, but I don't think the Knight is on that same level.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Bonus's experience with Snapper matches my own, hence my recommendation that Snapper be included over Wall of Frost.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
I run a 370-card Peasant cube, and here are the thoughts I shared with some friends based on a couple looks at the spoiler today. My cube list for reference: https://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/72. I'm not going to link individual cards because :effort:, but the full spoiler is here: http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/article.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/journeyintonyx/cig

White
Banishing Light - Straight swap for O-Ring, removing weird rules/timing interactions that O-Ring has.
Nyx-Fleece Ram - Great defensive creature, plus look at that art. Gorgeous.
Quarry Colossus - Maybe in place of Feudkiller's Verdict since it's somewhat less of a blowout against aggro.
Skyspear Cavalry and Supply-Line Cranes - Probably not good enough, but I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for good white 5-drops.

Blue
Dakra Mystic - My blue 1-drops are pretty mediocre and this guy could generate a lot of advantage for you over the course of a game.
Hour of Need - Protects your guys from removal, and can let you upgrade your small guys that are no longer relevant in the late game.

Black
Gnarled Scarhide - 1 mana 2/1s with negligible drawbacks are always welcome. I also appreciate the ability to put this on an opponent's guy to swing for lethal.

Red
Mogis's Warhound - Probably not quite good enough, but red's 3-drops aren't spectacular so this guy could be worth a try.
Sigiled Skink - Probably not, but if I want another 1R 2/1 this guy seems fine.

Green
Nessian Game Warden - Seems like a fine 5-drop for green. I'm always on the lookout for these since the ones I have now aren't particularly exciting.

Multicolor
Fleetfeather Cockatrice - This guy seems really sweet. Lots of good abilities on a decent body, plus the monstrous. I like it.
Nyx Weaver - I'm pretty happy with my Golgari section right now, but if I wanted to push more of a graveyard theme for them, this guy would be immediately added.
Stormchaser Chimera - Decent body for the cost, plus the potential to get huge and help you continue to dig for spells in the later game. The activation cost is high, though.

Artifacts and Lands
Armory of Iroas and Chariot of Victory - Are either of these better than Mask of Memory? I'm not sure. Trying to find a decent replacement for Loxodon Warhammer that isn't awful or horribly broken. This is proving surprisingly difficult.
Gold-Forged Sentinel - This seems like a decent card to have available to every color. Not sure what would come out for it though.
Mana Confluence - I don't care if it's rare, I'll take as many copies of City of Brass as I can get.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Null1fy posted:

Hey WhiteWolf how do you play when there are 5 or less players? I tried doing a sealed of my cube last night using all 450 and it came out kind of... Eh. People built decks and some were just bonkers good (3 swords, fast mana, etc) but my pool, for instance, just kind of did not get there. I'd like to have a little more control over how players select cards rather than purely chance the next time not enough players show up to do a regular draft.
Not Whitewolf, but I've heard people have had good success with a format called "Tenchester" for four or fewer people. Make 36 ten-card packs. Lay out a pack face up. Each player in turn gets one pick from this pack. Discard the six+ remaining unpicked cards. Repeat for the remaining packs with pick order rotating such that the person who picked first previously now picks last. This method forces a lot of internal struggle about what your deck needs at a given moment. The decks should end up fairly well balanced and focused.

Five people is a really awkward number to draft with. Best option I've seen is five packs of nine cards each, otherwise draft as normal, but even that is pretty mediocre.

revengeanceful fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
In my 370 card peasant cube (link), I run the following fixing:
10 Painlands
5 Vivids
5 Alara trilands
City of Brass
Gemstone Mine
Mana Confluence
Evolving Wilds
Terramorphic Expanse
Some green land fixers/ramp
Some 5-color artifact ramp
0 Signets
0 Karoos

I'm considering adding the 10 shocklands as well because I feel I'm a little light on mana fixing lands overall, but other than that I'm pretty happy with the types of decks I'm seeing in my group - mostly two-color, three-color on occasion, four+ colors if you really work for it.