Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

logis posted:

Power!! How many multi-colored cards are you running (as a percentage)?

1/6, 100 multicolor total in a 600 card cube. Full list: http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/4787

Kasonic posted:

Man, and I was bitching about how sleeving my peasant cube costs like $70. Well done, sir.

I spent about that on sleeves today. It's a bitch.

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

Congrats on getting it all together, it's looking nice. This reminds me that I need to get around to taking more recent pictures of mine, I like the binder page set-up, it's much neater than the pictures I took last year back on the first page of this thread.

Do you just have them unsleeved for photos while in the binder, or do you play it in clear sleeves?

I had them in perfect fits in the binder while I was acquiring everything, decided to snap photos quickly before breaking it apart. Today I bought 800 pro mattes so now it's completely double-sleeved, including 30 of each basic land (zendikar full art eventually).

I'm trying to include every token it produces (just single-sleeved), but I'm currently missing quite a few. I'm going to probably put out a call and share my spreadsheet in the trading thread to try to get them all quickly.

This is the final form of the cube, fits nicely in a holiday box:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
So my brother and I have spent the last two months working on this cube. Finished trading in most of our bulk this weekend and continued to fix up the cube. Here's what it looks like today:

http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/6929

edit: still have some credit left, definitely want to get a blightsteel colossus and an inkewell leviathan. also a bunch of other cards thanks for looking

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

uggy posted:

So my brother and I have spent the last two months working on this cube. Finished trading in most of our bulk this weekend and continued to fix up the cube. Here's what it looks like today:

http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/6929

edit: still have some credit left, definitely want to get a blightsteel colossus and an inkewell leviathan. also a bunch of other cards thanks for looking

I'm not a big fan of TNN in Cube. I don't really play Legacy, so I'll reserve judgment in that format, but in a Limited environment I think it's just too strong. I was just miserable any time my opponent drafted it on MTGO.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I built my first cube last year, a RTR block mostly peasant one. I love the concept as I really only play magic casually and the same is true of my friends.

I've been thinking I'd like to play something ridiculous. Does anybody know of some good "if I had limitless money" full powered nonsense cubes that would be fun to proxy?

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
wtwlf123's cube, which you can find on the MTGSalvation forums, is pretty much the go-to powered cube as far as I know.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

revengeanceful posted:

wtwlf123's cube, which you can find on the MTGSalvation forums, is pretty much the go-to powered cube as far as I know.

His cube isn't power in the crazy "channel ulamog sword t2" kind of junk. It's got power in it (because why not), but it actually doesn't get too wacky.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I need to pull all the power and duals out of my cube because the proxies are way too thick and have started to "curl" does anyone have any good suggestions?

Or am I about to spend 1000+ dollars for Collectors Edition Duals and Power :suicide:

EDIT: Oh man, I forgot that's library and tabernacle too, fuuuccckkk

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Stinky Pit posted:

I need to pull all the power and duals out of my cube because the proxies are way too thick and have started to "curl" does anyone have any good suggestions?

Or am I about to spend 1000+ dollars for Collectors Edition Duals and Power :suicide:

EDIT: Oh man, I forgot that's library and tabernacle too, fuuuccckkk

My proxies are hand-drawn on World Championship Gold Border. Feel the same, uniquely proxied.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

logis posted:

My proxies are hand-drawn on World Championship Gold Border. Feel the same, uniquely proxied.

Could you use the info cards you get in boosters instead? Seeing as they're all slipped anyway, any opaque sleeve should be able to hide it, right?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Mikujin posted:

His cube isn't power in the crazy "channel ulamog sword t2" kind of junk. It's got power in it (because why not), but it actually doesn't get too wacky.

A lot of that is because the cube is designed to draft, play Winston or play Sealed deck with. A lot of those crazy cards are too narrow to get good value from in Sealed, and are more or less dead in Winston drafts outside of blind luck. When we were drafting with a full table of 8 every time we sat down, I was playing around with the super-ramp and extra fatty-cheating spells. It was kinda fun, but after the novelty wore off, and the deck's inconsistencies proved to be problematic, the cube was trimmed back down and all those cards were removed for underperforming in the long run.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I recently finished building my cube. Its a 540 card medium sized cube where the main gimmick is that every card must be printed in the eighth edition and only the eighth edition frame. This means no future sight frames, no old frame, and no other weird frames (like full art or game day or whatever). I also intentionally did not include some of the best cube cards because I didn't want any cards that were too obviously better than anything else. (Mostly Channel and Sol Ring but I also didn't include Griselbrand and Blightsteel Colossus for being too good to reanimate/cheat into play, not sure about those last two yet).

I've cubed it a few times now and I really really like it. There's supposed to be a 'sweet deck' for all 10 allied color combinations and I'm actually really happy with how that turned out. The GW Enchantress deck especially which I was very shaky on to begin with ended up being really really awesome. The only two that don't seem to be doing as well are the RW Equipment deck and the UG Flash deck, I may need to rethink those two themes.

Here are the pimp-iest cards in the cube.

And, weirdly, this has become one of my favorite parts of the cube. All the basic lands are foil (Eighth Edition frame, of course) and they all match. Its really awesome to see this in play.

And here is the cube list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvxBpQGnGOkwdDlBeDloNmZicVVWYTNqMGlOYzZReVE&usp=drive_web#gid=15

After a few test drafts, I know I want to make a few changes

1) I want to add Eidolon of Countless Battles into it. I don't know what to cut.
2) I'm pretty sure the storm cards need to be cut. I don't think its draftable and they're just last picks. I'm not sure if Mind's Desire or Grape Shot are good enough on their own to just leave in the cube (Yawg Will and Wheel of Fortune are obviously fine either way). Dark Ritual is another one that I'm not sure about.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Any reason some guilds have way more support than others?

Colors too? Why are there 16 more blue cards than white cards, as well as more good cards? Does it fit your archetypes better?

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
The numbers on the breakdown page are just how many cards fit each archetype, and some cards fit in multiple archetypes so the numbers don't add up to be the number of cards in the cube. Some cards just happen to fall into more than one archetype either accidentally or on purpose, which is why GW Enchantress only has 43 support cards.

The cube is balanced, its 70 cards of each color, 10 hybrid cards, one for each color combo, 45 gold cards, 4 of each two color combination and then 1 of each allied tri color combination, 65 lands, and 70 artifact/colorless cards.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Hey guys, I just finished writing another article about the cube; this one is about managing your mana base when drafting cube.

Let me know what you think!

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/...imited-resource

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Hey guys, I just finished writing another article about the cube; this one is about managing your mana base when drafting cube.

Let me know what you think!

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/...imited-resource

Very nice. I'm one of those people who criminally undervalues duals while picking too many double mana cards in multiple colors. Next time I draft with my group I'll have to be more mindful of these factors and see if it improves my performance.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

CompeAnansi posted:

Very nice. I'm one of those people who criminally undervalues duals while picking too many double mana cards in multiple colors. Next time I draft with my group I'll have to be more mindful of these factors and see if it improves my performance.

Please let me know if it does! Since I've been paying closer attention, my decks have gotten more consistent and I've been capable of assembling a perfect curve far more often.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

It also kind of highlights the problems with two-colour aggro decks, since they need at least an 8/13 split to play one drops of one colour and CC two drops of another, and need to hit those on curve, where more midrangey or control decks can usually wait a turn or play acceleration.

One question: you need 18 sources to have a >75% chance to have four lands on turn 4, but need 19 to have a >75% chance of playing a CCCC 4 drop on turn 4? Why is that?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Aston posted:

It also kind of highlights the problems with two-colour aggro decks, since they need at least an 8/13 split to play one drops of one colour and CC two drops of another, and need to hit those on curve, where more midrangey or control decks can usually wait a turn or play acceleration.

One question: you need 18 sources to have a >75% chance to have four lands on turn 4, but need 19 to have a >75% chance of playing a CCCC 4 drop on turn 4? Why is that?

Because the math required to cast the spell is more difficult, because one of your drawn cards is the spell you're attempting to cast. So simply having 4 lands by turn 4 is easier than having 4 lands and the Obliterator on T4. One is calculated based on the 40 cards in the deck and you seeing 4 of them in your top 10 cards, and the other is calculated based on the 39 remaining cards and having 4 out of the other 9 cards being swamps.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'm wanting to explicitly make my (peasant) cube more newbie-friendly, as I often get players who are completely new to cubing and often relatively new to Magic in general. Up until now, I've used old card frames wherever possible because I started playing back in olden times, enjoy the frames personally, have a secondary goal is to expose players to cards they may never have seen before. However, I'm thinking of switching as many cards as possible to the modern frame in order to increase consistency of presentation and clarity of rules templating. I'm okay with 1-2 cards per pack keeping the old frame, so I'm not going to cut cards just because they only exist in the old frame in part because there are very few cards in my cube that only exist in the old frame (a lot of this is from WotC reprinting strong C/U cards in various precons like Duel Decks and Commander).

My gut feeling is that cubing is inherently complex due to the singleton rule and using unfamiliar cards to newer players, so any way I can reduce the learning curve is probably helpful. Any thoughts on this?

whydirt fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 5, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

You could make efforts to ensure that every single card in your cube has reminder text but that will only go so far.

I doubt that would be enough to make the cube newbie friendly. Most cubes have several types of decks, cards, and synergies whose value won't be readily apparent to new players. You would probably have to dilute a lot of the cube until you basically have something like a Core set, and I doubt you would find that very fun or interesting for the long term.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I think that cube - a format where the majority of people only do singleton cards and intentionally use more powerful cards with interesting effects - is going to to be inherently newbie unfriendly.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

whydirt posted:

I'm wanting to explicitly make my (peasant) cube more newbie-friendly, as I often get players who are completely new to cubing and often relatively new to Magic in general. Up until now, I've used old card frames wherever possible because I started playing back in olden times, enjoy the frames personally, have a secondary goal is to expose players to cards they may never have seen before. However, I'm thinking of switching as many cards as possible to the modern frame in order to increase consistency of presentation and clarity of rules templating. I'm okay with 1-2 cards per pack keeping the old frame, so I'm not going to cut cards just because they only exist in the old frame in part because there are very few cards in my cube that only exist in the old frame (a lot of this is from WotC reprinting strong C/U cards in various precons like Duel Decks and Commander).

My gut feeling is that cubing is inherently complex due to the singleton rule and using unfamiliar cards to newer players, so any way I can reduce the learning curve is probably helpful. Any thoughts on this?
Yeah, you're going to have a hard time making any cube really newbie friendly without toning the complexity way down just due to the nature of cube. I guess one thing you could do is ignore the singleton rule, which could help you reduce board complexity and strategic complexity a bit by including multiples of the more straightforward cards. At that point you're not really talking about "cube" any more, per se, but it could help solve your conundrum.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think I'm talking past everyone. I'm not looking to change any existing cards. All I was asking if people think using new frames on cards that have both options makes a noticeable, even if it is small, difference. Coming up the other suggestions is fine, but not what I'm looking for.

I have already excluded a bunch of mechanics that are newbie unfriendly like haunt and most protection cards (right now Mother of Runes is the only one left and I might give her the axe). Being newbie-friendly isn't my main or only goal, I'm just trying to be more conscious of it. I've already cubed with new people a lot and as far as I could tell they all had fun. I'm just looking to improve things at the margins.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

whydirt posted:

I think I'm talking past everyone. I'm not looking to change any existing cards. All I was asking if people think using new frames on cards that have both options makes a noticeable, even if it is small, difference. Coming up the other suggestions is fine, but not what I'm looking for.

I have already excluded a bunch of mechanics that are newbie unfriendly like haunt and most protection cards (right now Mother of Runes is the only one left and I might give her the axe). Being newbie-friendly isn't my main or only goal, I'm just trying to be more conscious of it. I've already cubed with new people a lot and as far as I could tell they all had fun. I'm just looking to improve things at the margins.

I'm not sure we can offer useful feedback. I don't like mixing old and new frames, so I try to find modern borders of most cards, but that is a visual preference and I don't think it impacts things like newbie friendly. I guess if you play with people that actively dislike old cards to the point that they're less likely to read it, pick it, etc. then yeah it could. You'd do better polling the people who played your cube, etc.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

whydirt posted:

I don't think increasing your usage of the new frame in and of itself will make things better, but you'll probably get some small benefit by using cards that have better/clearer language on their newer versions, like Clone.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
I've recently got into cubing but as a broke college student I decided to make a Peasant cube. http://kp0.ca/13 here's my current list, I started with the generic 450 Peasant cube from cubetutor, spent some time balancing colors and then just adjusted to taste. Mikujin helped me quite a bit and told me to check in here :)

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Kleedrac posted:

I've recently got into cubing but as a broke college student I decided to make a Peasant cube. http://kp0.ca/13 here's my current list, I started with the generic 450 Peasant cube from cubetutor, spent some time balancing colors and then just adjusted to taste. Mikujin helped me quite a bit and told me to check in here :)
Looks like a great start! I'd caution you to keep an eye on Loxodon Warhammer, Skullclamp, and Sol Ring. I've found the first two to be way too good for my Peasant cube, and I've never included Sol Ring in my list because it's one of the most broken cards in Powered cubes, so I'm certain it's well above the power level of a Peasant cube. I'm not a huge fan of Terminate, just because it's kind of boring and there's way more exciting things you can do with Rakdos like Shambling Remains, Rix Maadi Guildmage, or Bituminous Blast. Most importantly, I'd recommend you just put it together and start playing it with your friends. Your group's experiences with your cube should inform how you tweak it from whatever your starting point ends up being.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

revengeanceful posted:

Looks like a great start! I'd caution you to keep an eye on Loxodon Warhammer, Skullclamp, and Sol Ring. I've found the first two to be way too good for my Peasant cube, and I've never included Sol Ring in my list because it's one of the most broken cards in Powered cubes, so I'm certain it's well above the power level of a Peasant cube. I'm not a huge fan of Terminate, just because it's kind of boring and there's way more exciting things you can do with Rakdos like Shambling Remains, Rix Maadi Guildmage, or Bituminous Blast. Most importantly, I'd recommend you just put it together and start playing it with your friends. Your group's experiences with your cube should inform how you tweak it from whatever your starting point ends up being.

I also had reservations with those same 3 cards but I was worried about the lack of good equipment at c/u. Can you guys recommend me some good equipment for Peasant to replace these three?
So far I'm thinking:
-Sword of the Meek
-Inquisitor's Flail
-Trepanation Blade
Thoughts?

Kleedrac fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 9, 2014

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Grafted Wargear is really powerful. I've banned it from my cube because it was just too good and a windmill slam for any deck,.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Kleedrac posted:

I also had reservations with those same 3 cards but I was worried about the lack of good equipment at c/u. Can you guys recommend me some good equipment for Peasant to replace these three?
So far I'm thinking:
-Sword of the Meek
-Inquisitor's Flail
-Trepanation Blade
Thoughts?
The unfortunate thing is there's not a lot of great equipment at this rarity, but people have had good luck with Silver-Inlaid Dagger, Darksteel Axe, and Mask of Memory.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I've got a 360-card unpowered cube and I want to try experimenting with some color-producing manlands in it, particularly at least some of the WWK allied pair cycle. Where would y'all fit them in, in terms of trying to keep colors/pairs fairly balanced? Would you give the enemy pairs another fixing land in their place, or another strong spell? Or would you just put them in (perhaps in what would otherwise be a utility land/colorless slot) and leave it at that?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Hopping Ghost posted:

I've got a 360-card unpowered cube and I want to try experimenting with some color-producing manlands in it, particularly at least some of the WWK allied pair cycle. Where would y'all fit them in, in terms of trying to keep colors/pairs fairly balanced? Would you give the enemy pairs another fixing land in their place, or another strong spell? Or would you just put them in (perhaps in what would otherwise be a utility land/colorless slot) and leave it at that?

I have 5 man lands, fae conclave, ghitu encampment, treetop village, mishra's factory, mutavault. Basically its a budget decision, the mutavault I have because I jumped on them when they were cheap. The white and black ones from that cycle aren't very good, so I'd rather include 2 colorless man lands. Also a control deck may not want the blue man land over a colorless one etc, or it may want to pick up more than one.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

That's the first (only?) card from Born of the Gods so far that has jumped out as an instant include in my cube. Fake Searing Blaze is tempting since I'm still running Searing Blaze, but nothing else has jumped out at me.

There's a whole bunch of stuff that's fun for Peasant cube. Forlorn Pseudamma and Satyr Nyx-Smith went straight into mine, along with Noam Trompsky and Archetype of Courage.

Drown in Sorrow straight up replaced Infest. And there's a couple others like Servant of Tymaret and Fall of the Hammer that I'm tempted by.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Hopping Ghost posted:

The guild sections at 360 are really tight, and I wouldn't want to cut Dual/Shock/Fetch from any of the groups, even given the strength of the manlands. And another full cycle of fixers will probably be over the top at 360, especially if you have a full table of drafters.

I'd suggest letting some of the manlands compete against the non-land guild cards in their respective section. When I ran a 360 card cube, this was how I got to keep Creeping Tar Pit and Celestial Colonnade in the cube (the only two that are really 360 staples, IMO).

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Entropic posted:

There's a whole bunch of stuff that's fun for Peasant cube. Forlorn Pseudamma and Satyr Nyx-Smith went straight into mine, along with Noam Trompsky and Archetype of Courage.

Drown in Sorrow straight up replaced Infest. And there's a couple others like Servant of Tymaret and Fall of the Hammer that I'm tempted by.
For my Peasant cube, I went with Fanatic of Xenagos, Thunder Brute, Satyr Nyx-Smith, Spiteful Returned, and Archetype of Courage. I didn't want to add a second RR spell, so Searing Blood didn't make the cut. I initially wanted to find room for Forlorn Pseudamma, too, but it's just so slow. If you're not restricting yourself to more recent sets, you can definitely find better black four-drops.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think I took out Marsh Flitter for Pseudamma.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
That was the swap I was considering as well, but man does it take a long time before Pseudamma's 2/2s start to become relevant. Cast it on turn 4, attack on turn 5, untap on turn 6 and make a 2/2 with summoning sickness. Turn 7, you finally get to attack with your 2/2, as long as your opponent doesn't have something bigger than that of course. Yeah, you'll probably eventually overwhelm your opponent with 2/2s if they can't kill your Pseudamma, but most decks I've seen in my cube have a way of dealing with a 2/1.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

WhiteWolf123 posted:

The guild sections at 360 are really tight, and I wouldn't want to cut Dual/Shock/Fetch from any of the groups, even given the strength of the manlands. And another full cycle of fixers will probably be over the top at 360, especially if you have a full table of drafters.

I'd suggest letting some of the manlands compete against the non-land guild cards in their respective section. When I ran a 360 card cube, this was how I got to keep Creeping Tar Pit and Celestial Colonnade in the cube (the only two that are really 360 staples, IMO).

This is kinda what I was thinking. Coming in tapped and having guild activation costs seems like it'd offset those pairs technically getting a fourth fixing land, or at least it'd be more level than cutting "turn one" fixing in some pairs. And yeah, those were the two I mostly had my eye on. The only manland I have in at present is Mutavault, which I keep meaning to swap out for Factory because I like that it can be a 3/3 blocker and tribal elements aren't super important in my cube outside of stuff like Sarcomancy.

Thanks for the perspectives!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I've heard that some people put Squadron Hawk in their cube as a "draft one, get 3 free" deal, which seems kind of interesting. Anybody have experience with that? What about Urzatron in a similar package?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

I've heard that some people put Squadron Hawk in their cube as a "draft one, get 3 free" deal, which seems kind of interesting. Anybody have experience with that? What about Urzatron in a similar package?

I had not heard of that before, but it does sound like a sweet idea depending on the cube. Might work better with Cloudpost though, since drawing 3 pieces of Tron naturally in a 40-card deck won't happen much, while you only need two Posts to see an effect (and it's more powerful once you draw three or more).