Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

So I am now driven to the task to build an all-foil cube made up of alot of the stuff a friend and I have picked up over the past couple years. Because of these restrictions makes this cube a bit harder to do because of costs, especially with stuff like mana fixing lands. This is what I've got so far.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/13649

Obviously right now some colors and combinations are underpowered and some (mostly black now) are fairly powerful, so I need to fill in the gaps with more budget friendly stuff, like cheaper colorless card draw, and core set non-flashly stuff (Pacifism, Negate, Smelt, Plummet, etc.) You would also be amazed how much the dragon-in-every-set foil can be pretty cheap, too. But really good removal or land-fixing is a bit out of price range. I can pick up a set of the Alra Obelisks and Panoramas, though. Going to be buying a bunch of stuff soon to fill this out. Can you see any place I am particularly weak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mikujin posted:

Battlewise Hoplite seems like a totally lost card considering that you only have two things that can easily target him (that aren't removal). Heroic creatures are generally super weak in cube unless you really support the archetype.

Noted. Added a handful more blue and white instants. I was planning more Heroic to be in Red/Green, so you could do Bant/UWR aggro decks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A couple months ago I posted about my foil cube. I did some more work on it, playtested a bit, and today I'm finally going to get a larger group of people to try it out. Trying to play a 360 card cube with 4 people leads to really weird strategies. A couple things I learned:

Never put Grave Titan in a cube with no much graveyard recursion. Or, just, ever.
When you do have so much graveyard shenanigans going on, you need to add alot of stuff to turn it off, too.
Removal is key. Have a million ways to get rid of things. In all colors.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hopefully putting the finishing touches on my foil cube. My previous attempts to build it to play with my friends ended up not going to well due to power level issues. I was using alot of the PW and mythic foils from the dual decks and not enough ways to answer them. I really lowered the power level down for every color and every combination (I was originally going to go all peasant but I thought that would be too weak.) With the added flashback things I'm trying to let people try and draft Burning Vengence and Spider Spawning decks because those were always fun to play, but I don't know if my playgroup will be able to catch on to those harder build arounds. The themes in each 2-color pair:

UW = Control-Tempo
UB = Artifacts
BR = Low curve aggro
GR = Ramping, Trampling Fatties
GW = Tokens
WB = Enchantments
WR = +1+1 Counters
UG = Graveyard Shenanigans
UR = Spells/Elementals
GB = Devotion

It has also been a struggle to keep the complexity down inside the cube. I'm the person with the most experience in my playgroup and I only started in 2012. That means I've tried to remove as many different mechanics as possible and stick to easier to understand themes throughout every color (especially flashback...because flashback is great.) Most of the time I think people will draft 2 color but I've tried to make the 3 color cards good enough to want to play them.The last time I played it (about 20% has changed since then) the biggest winners were playing Bant Heroic and RW aggro.

Cube mechanics:
bestow
extort
heroic
convoke
flashback
evoke
affinity
unleash
devotion
constellation
morph
landfall
emerge
monstrosity
living weapon
split cards/fuse cards

Mechanics on only 1 card:
outlast
splice (not possible to use inside the cube)
undying
forecast
buyback

I'm also trying out a new cycle of dual lands for each color, with each being a different type. I'm not sure if it will work because there are power level differences, but if people like it then it stays. If anyone can spot from a glance if any color is more powerful than the others. The biggest issue I could see popping up is the Stoneforge but there is only one really "good" equipment to tutor for her.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Balon posted:

I've updated my cube! CubeTutor is here: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/31202

Note: This is a LOW-POWER multiplayer cube! It is designed to be played in pods of 4, suited to get beginners and super casuals in to drafting! There's enough in it to draft with 8, but is typically drafted with 4-6 players.

After a lot of back-and-forth with my regulars and some guys at the LGS that drafted, I've "fixed" some of the archetypes.

I drafted it. Just saying, you need to get the AI to draft more because I picked up the Skullclamp at something like pick 12, even though I didn't really fit my deck, because gently caress Clamp is too good. I am also not a fan of multiplayer mill archtypes in cube because that is how alot of big multiplayer limited games end up anyway. No need to push that any further than what already happens.

Railing Kill posted:

While we're on the subject of low-power, multiplayer cubes, I recently updated mine a bunch. I probably made a mistake by not deliberately assigning archetypes. Instead, it's based around table politics and multiplayer stuff from Conspiracy 1 & 2, or any cards with a high degree of player interactivity. I also threaded morph through it, because I and my group like it. Here's a link:

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/69208

I'd appreciate feedback in general, but there's a few things I'm concerned about :

*Is the lack of clear archetypes a problem?

*What are some good options for 1-drops in W and U that fit the theme?

*A lot of the multicolor stuff doesn't fit well, so I'm looking for better options that are more interactive. Less like Skyknight Legionnaire, more like Gwafa Hazid.

Tried yours as well. Tried making a Guttersnipe based spells deck but it didn't seem the tools were there.

Interesting W/U one-drops:

Jace's Phantasm
Topplegiest
Soul Sister cards
Soldier of the Pantheon
Hyponotic Siren
Judge's Familiar

I also have been updating my cube with several different cards to try and make better defined two-color archtypes. I feel like I may just cut most of the three color cards because no one in my playgroup has tried to actually making a three color deck in person.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Flip Yr Wig posted:

The cube I ripped off some other dude and have been playing a lot for a couple weeks now. I'm starting to develop thoughts on how to make it my own. The first thing I'm feeling is that it's lacking in the black removal department. White has some removal and red's got a fair amount of burn, but I think some of the black library manipulation could be swapped for removal. Any thoughts?

Besides nostalgia, why would Dark Ritual be in there?

So I finally got all but 5 of the tri-color cards in the cube, leaving 1 of the shards card because the mana was better for them. Enough to make a person splash for that one thing. Added 1 more rare for each color.

I'm also on my way to get all signets in foil, because everyone loves signets.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

PJOmega posted:

So for your cubes, do you double sleeve everything? Or do you perfect fit them and then let everyone sleeve them in their own colors?

Single sleeved, 30 of each basic. With tokens the whole things fits in 2 fat packs.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

whydirt posted:

I've got a new cube up CubeTutor. Since I'm finishing up my initial burst of tinkering, I'd appreciate any feedback before I start ordering the cards.

The power level is intended to be roughly around a Masters set draft with defined but flexible archetypes across the colors. In other words you should see some signposts to guide your draft, but it shouldn't feel on rails.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/82201

Did 3 playtests. Either cut the Storm cards or force them in your playtest drafts because they always wheel in the AI. I don't know if there is enough support nor what your play group can actually do. I'm the most experienced player in my group and I would never try to take storm.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

T-Bone posted:

Thread Necro because I love cube and I could use some cube advice.

I have a big old (720 card) powered cube I'm working on and I'd really like to include the signature tribes for each color (so Humans/Merfolk/Goblins/Zombies/Elves + Slivers because one guy I draft with loving loves Slivers and there's a lot of mana fixing in this thing). If I'm using roughly 50 creatures for each color in (+ some limited gold stuff), what is the ideal creature count for each tribe to make it draftable but not overpowered? I was thinking 25, does that sound right? The rest of the cube is somewhat comparable to the Vintage MTGO cube, with reanimator/storm/twin/sneak & show/swords/etc.

If your cube has 720 people, how can you make sure that enough cards will show up to support a tribal draft strategy?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

OK, did two drafts, one not trying to go tribal and one forcing Slivers. If this is anything like a real draft, your Slivers friend will sad. I think it was just easier for me to just draft the best cards because it was a powered cube vs. the tribal synergy.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Well I was trying to stay in 3 main colors, but it is hard to pick up Slivers while also getting color fixing, because nothing would wheel. Maybe in another creature type would work.

So I tried with Zombies and Goblins, it was much easier.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Force people to play with you?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jitte is a great example of a card that should only be found in power cubes, because in any random stuff cube it would be far and away the most powerful thing you could do if you can't get rid of it ASAP.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just LOL if your cube lands are not all APACs or Gurus

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Big C
Cubetastic
No Maros Club

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Is there a way to get into the cubeamaji resealable booster packs? It doesn't seem like they are letting more preorders in.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I picked up a Quiver to hold my cube. Besides the weird DHL international shipping problem, the actual product is great. Holds my standard cube plus around 30 basics sleeved. Extra space on top for dice and other junk. And then I was keeping it on the floor of my scooter while driving and it fell on the ground. And it survived!

Cube on left, lands on right, tokens unsleeved (I've though about putting them in penny sleeves but...nah.) Still need to pick up those cube booster packs but I hope that will happen in a month.

Closed, it is about the size of a flute case. Shoulder pack makes it easy to carry and the little zipper holster is there so one zipper can't magically unzip itself I think.

New tokens from cubeamajig. I thought about getting all custom tokens for the cube but I like some of the real arts more.

I'm reworking about 10% of the cards and getting in all foils for reworks takes time.
The B/W enchantment theme wasn't pulling its weight so, instead of just killing it...why not add a 2nd layer to it?

To really make this work in WB, I had to get all the good limited white zombies from Amonkhet block, which...there are like 4. But they're good filler!

I played it a couple times for the first time with non-friends at an LGS and...I think I made UR tempo too good. Because there was always enough for 2-3 people to play it and do consistently better than everyone else. I think their answers were just a little bit better than the other colors, and at lower costs. So I'm going to try and make the UG and UB archtypical spells a bit more enticing.

Link to cube if anyone wants to see. Once the final foils come in I'll update to its current state: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/13649

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 31, 2019

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Brownhat posted:

I'm still annoyed that Cube Tutor just doesn't work with my Unstable cube.

The Quiver seems neat...do you mean 30 of each basic land? I'm currently using the Dex Protection Supreme Game Chest for my cube. Mine's a little too big for the Quiver.

Also, who's the kind of idiot who buys a foil Richard Garfield for his cube? This guy.

30 basics for each. Which seems like a lot, but then you have somebody trying to jam mono-W and you need it. Whenever I get a another foil basic I just sleeve it up and throw it in.

It is interesting but I don't know if I would put it in. I'm trying to limit the amount of mechanics because I play with less experienced people most of the time.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

weekly font posted:

Do yall think at 540 there's enough space to give black a zombie subtheme? I'm having trouble fitting any of the lords/buff daddies in at the 3 slot.

When I made my Zombie "Lord's" enchantments, it worked out pretty well. It made the zombie deck less aggro and gave it reasons to play 2 colors.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Good if you have experienced players, sure. But if you're playing with people who have never done a Vintage Cube before, I could see it getting confusing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Do you really want to have a TNN-like card in a cube, unless there are other strategies that are really overpowered as well? A Orzhov cube seems almost entirely based around combat. Being able to pick that and "oops I win now" against many other decks seems not fun. I think you have...6 ways of getting rid of it inside your cube?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Who would you be playing this with? Would they be familar enough with most cards now being over 10 years from their original printing, and most not being staples?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah every color has good ways to get cards into the graveyard but white. But white could go for the mass recursion like rally the ancestors for value.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

A non-singleton cube gives me the heebie jeebies

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Just try looking at a bunch of other cubes and see what you like, and then steal those ideas. After you play with it enough, keep what you like and experiment with the stuff you don't.

https://cubecobra.com/explore

Cube Tutor, the old good cube site that died, used to have an "average cube" for 360, 450, and 720 cards that was an average of every uploaded cube on the site, where you could see what everyone else was doing. The one thing I noticed from that is that the average can be was not totally balanced in colors, because the more legacy and vintage focused would have a natural blue bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I really liked the quiver even if I barely got to actually play this cube. I think I meant 30 basics each but I think it's more like 15 basics of each color.

GoutPatrol posted:

I picked up a Quiver to hold my cube. Besides the weird DHL international shipping problem, the actual product is great. Holds my standard cube plus around 30 basics sleeved. Extra space on top for dice and other junk. And then I was keeping it on the floor of my scooter while driving and it fell on the ground. And it survived!

Cube on left, lands on right, tokens unsleeved (I've though about putting them in penny sleeves but...nah.) Still need to pick up those cube booster packs but I hope that will happen in a month.

Closed, it is about the size of a flute case. Shoulder pack makes it easy to carry and the little zipper holster is there so one zipper can't magically unzip itself I think.

New tokens from cubeamajig. I thought about getting all custom tokens for the cube but I like some of the real arts more.