Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

moana posted:

If Tim Ferriss' book is the first time you're coming across the concept of "make sure your product fills a demand" then sure, it might help you. It would help you more to read The Lean Startup, since that book actually gives you a systematic process for figuring out whether your product fills demand, and gives you real ideas for how to assess demand, and has lists of questions you should be asking yourself in order to move forward and make decisions.
Yes, it is a good book. It came out four years after Four Hour Workweek. When you start looking at the focus on lifestyle in 4 Hour Work Week and start thinking about applying lean startup methodologies to your own life decisions - testing out minimum viable products before big investments of time/money, etc etc - it gets interesting.

There are a lot of books I mentally group together that represent that new sort of thought, which prizes experience and reality-testing over having great big ideas. I like Nassim Taleb's work the best by far.

Also that is the strangest blog post to link to. It is entirely personal grievances against Tim Ferriss the person. That isn't a criticism of his book at all.

moana posted:

Aphorisms are useless without a process to back it up. The Four Hour Workweek is half aphorisms, half bragging, and it's made Tim Ferriss much more money than his actual businesses ever did. I think that's sleazy as gently caress, and I just plain don't like the guy.
I totally disagree that aphorisms are useless without a process. I don't really know how to elaborate here.

I wish you'd just started outright that you just didn't like him as a person so that I wouldn't have wasted everyone's time talking about ideas.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

balancedbias posted:

From a few posts up...The last quote you gave is the most useful one, because it easily allows for the notion that his philosophy is good for some and not for others. I know a mechanic who tried to make that system work, felt "burnt out" trying to optimize his "empire" of grease monkeys under his thumb, and finally felt more satisfied when he scrapped 4 businesses and worked as a mechanic for someone else.

He had the acumen, the motivation, and finances were no longer an issue...but he didn't enjoy any of it until he was doing what he had been doing in the first place. Maybe his interest waned, but I found it interesting that the burnout was from doing things the "successful" way. All quote marks are from how he described it to me, in as sarcastic a tone as it seems.
I've heard this sort of thing, but usually either:

a.) They're not making much more money after expenses rendering the effort pointless
b.) They're not doing it with an eye towards early FI (whether that means hiring a manager, selling the business, or making enough money so fast that you just stop)

It's only recently that b.) has entered the public consciousness. MMM was an internet sensation for a reason - peoples' minds are just blown by the concept. Our brains just skip over the idea. Even in Four Hour Work Week, Tim Ferriss took himself out of the process of his business almost accidentally.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SpelledBackwards posted:

At the same time, I think a lot of FI people oversell travel as the way to live and spend your time. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy going new places and I have been fortunate enough to backpack in Europe and visit family in India many times, among other wonderful trips with my family and friends seeing other places and cultures. But the thing I love even more than going somewhere new is finally coming home to a familiar dog, shower, bed, and kitchen.

Maybe it's just me, but there's a lot to be said for local leisure with your family and close friends too, and of course it's often much cheaper to have a backyard cookout or movie night at a friend's house very frequently than take lots of short trips (for example). In many cases at least these will still be pleasurable moments you look back on later in life and they didn't require you to go somewhere far.
To be totally honest, a lot of the people who go full FI and retire extremely early go a little nuts, especially the ones who don't have kids. The travel actually lets them use their minds for once and not have to fight to fill the hours of a day.

I remember just being totally repulsed when MMM put up this chart:

Specifically, the part about one kid being the "full Human Experience". It's like one kid is the minimum viable product.

What FI's revealed to me is that there actually was some sanity in the normal way that successful people do things. The most important thing in life is to be around people whom you want to be around and who want to be around you - and this most consistently comes from deep friendships, family, and by excelling at a job where people you respect work. (Young and attractive people also find it quite easy to find people who want to be around them, of course, which is why it's much easier to drift at 20 than to drift at 50.)

FI's still absolutely essential to make sure that you can actually make the best decisions for yourself, as it makes work optional and actually fun again. But remember that whatever your lifestyle, you're going to need to give people a reason to want to be around you - otherwise you'll start feeling like a stain.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My main thought on MMM is that he doesn't sound like he has much fun in life. I'm not really convinced when he tries to describe how good his life should be given that his needs are fulfilled. I don't really believe that he's happy, and I think that getting out there and using that bright mind of his to solve technological problems would be more fun than an endless series of home repair projects.

That said, he's doing the right thing keeping the blog going, as the basic thrust of the site is still something that needs more spreading, and if he stopped posting the blog would disappear off of Google.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Dessert Rose posted:

I don't think it's a productive exercise to declare that he has a false consciousness because you don't think he could possibly be as happy as he claims to be in the situation he is in. He sounds like he enjoys the gently caress out of nature and being outside and working with his hands.
We'll have to agree to disagree on how it reads. For what it's worth, I feel the same way about Tim Ferriss, but to a much larger extent (his writing about being depressed all the time clued me in a bit). I'm not saying that this lifestyle isn't for anyone.

Inverse Icarus posted:

Happiness isn't having what you want, it's wanting what you have.
Unfortunately, over the long term, changing what you want is very difficult. If it were possible, the happiest people would be the most self-sufficient and isolated - and that's far from the truth.

This isn't at all an advocacy of a return to consumerism. I'm saying that if I look at the least miserable people I know, their work is most of their life. Note that this is ALSO true of many of the most miserable people I know, which is why I believe FI is of enormous importance. Taleb made the critical distinction in his New Year's post - being valued in your work for your wisdom and honor, not your labor.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 25, 2015

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah - I don't really buy it. If you do, absolutely go be a monk, it'd be pretty dumb to do anything else.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 25, 2015

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

poopinmymouth posted:

I don't get how you got that out of the blog at all. The guy might be a bit manic in his writing style, but he very obviously has a ton of stuff happening that he enjoys. It's just constructive stuff that either costs little/nothing, or ads worth to his property. Why would improving someone else's software/products for the tiniest fraction of the profit be somehow more fulfilling than getting to keep nearly all the profit that you generate? Maybe there is something to be said by missing a team environment vs working on your own, but he has his spouse, his kid, and does lots of meetups and group projects, so he is getting that too.

Is netflix, eating out often, buying new model cars and paying other people do do home renovations for you really the only metric of how much fun one is having in life?

I know a couple with similar earning power as us, and they are the diametric opposite in spending habits. Champagne on a nearly daily basis, eating out with multi course sushi every lunch, designer clothes and accessories, latest phones every time a new model, etc. They barely were able to get a loan for a downpayment on a house way smaller than ours, and are constantly having money problems, yet *still* don't seem any happier in their life than we are (and imo seem much less happy).

Experiential stuff brings way more happiness than consumption, this is pretty solid fact by now.
I certainly didn't imply or say that in the post you quoted, and I actually said the opposite in my next few posts in the thread. Your life choices aren't materialism vs. FI, and dedicating your life's work primarily to the goal of fulfilling either is a mistake.

Also, Netflix is pretty FI.

surc posted:

Obviously this would be pretty anecdotal, but any mental tips for getting out of a "done with work, gotta unwind!(eat out/buy alchohol/buy media)" mentality?
I know it's dumb, but my current job involves getting screamed at by my boss for her mistakes, and I find that really at the end of the day all I want to do is eat a nice meal without making it ($$), go for a nice drive ($) smoke a cigarette or 5($$$), and then come play some new video game or watch some show I've never seen before ($$). I'm aware that this is significantly lengthening the amount of time before I can take steps towards where I want my life to be (part-time contract/telecommute work, 4G hotspot, fix up my VW camper interior, dog, America), but at the end of my day I'm just worn down to the point where I often can't make myself want to do fun activities that require effort and do not drain my money and/or kill me. I'm currently trying to get into a better work situation, but in the mean time, every time I look at my bank account I'm annoyed with myself.
Purely mental shifts only tend to work short-term... You're feeling the constant gentle pressure to reward yourself, and people inevitably succumb to the constant gentle pressures. What kind of job/career would make you want to excel at it, even if constant improvement (and a reasonable/realistic career trajectory) was the only reward for kicking rear end?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 12, 2015

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Rick Rickshaw posted:

When you strive for financial independence, you begin to realize everything in life is relative, including the things that make you happy. Why does a new game make you happier than an old one? Fancier graphics? Maybe. But also because some humans somewhere recently put a lot of work into producing this new thing for you to enjoy, and that makes you feel good. And a lot of other humans are simultaneously enjoying the same game, so there's some loose, bullshit-based sense of community too.

But it's bullshit. Play old games. They can provide just as much joy, and cost a lot less money.
It's not really bullshit. In most cases you won't gain much from doing the more expensive thing, but sometimes you will. Following new '70s music closely in the '70s was probably way more exciting than researching it now, and being into SNES in its prime was something way different from going back and playing the games now even if you can get them all for free more conveniently online today. The early days of WoW were really, really cool. New stuff is cool and neat and and it's really fun to see how the envelope is being pushed. There isn't an easy and free way to be on the cutting edge of anything, but maybe it suggests that you should find some way to have your career address that desire instead of/in addition to your leisure.

There's a weird socratic strain in the FI movement that, taken too far, constrains FIers rather than liberating them. DO attempt to understand why you want to spend money on something - DON'T assume that your reasons and inner motivations are bullshit or just plain wrong. The solution is never to settle for the milkmaid and claim she's just as good as a princess (paraphrasing, but I guess we'd call that classist now).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 21, 2015

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My main question - how are you going to meet people/who are you going to be spending time with?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

He maybe seems a little defensive, but about stuff I couldn't possibly care about. I think it's a decent read and he makes it pretty clear that he can't really be impartial about his ex (reducing her to just wanting to keep up with the joneses is beyond unfair).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The thing that strikes me is the idea of saving 50+ percent of your income felt like this revolutionary idea back in 2012 or whenever MMM blew up but now it just seems normal for single people making 100k+ per year. Like this whole movement started because it made sense to save as much money as possible when you can (a great idea) and what I got out of MMM is it's just stupid to not save whatever you can. Is that just normal now? Is lifestyle adjustment for income increases less of a thing now for people <40 than it was in the past? Or was I just being dumb?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'll also admit I don't understand why it's supposed to be a "gotcha" that someone retired from their 40 hour+ per week career but supplements their income with some activity. They've clearly accumulated enough capital to change their lifestyle, is it supposed to be a contest after that point? Why argue about whether or not that actually counts as retirement?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

"Have more money in order to have more options" is not really a revolutionary intellectual idea. I think one of the things that fundamentally bugs me about FIRE is that it's presented as some kind of solution for a lot of late capitalist / work culture related issues but it's really only accessible to the already-rich or at minimum people of means. You make six figures in America, you can do just fine no matter what. It's like, the ultimate American solution to a bunch of structural and social problems.
Yeah, let's be real, the reason anyone can retire forever+live well after 15 years of a 150k salary is because most people out there are working for a whole lot less.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Thoreau was pretty productive...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Bhodi posted:

Also, since it's been about 7 years since my first post in here I do want to say in retrospect that while I don't think FIRE is a scam it DOES require such a confluence of circumstances and personality that it's extremely unlikely for the vast majority of people and I think it's pretty unethical how broadly marketed it is. People are pretty desperate for the way out of the system they were born into and people are selling this as an escape that you can achieve with hard work and discipline when it's really more like winning the lottery.

I'm such an outlier in so many various ways - white, no kids, in IT as a high earner, saves more than half earnings entire adult working career, in my early 40s, and I'm STILL only around the "marginal FIRE" level in terms of savings. I've had nearly every advantage AND personality that is comfortable with frugal living and inexpensive hobbies and I'm still probably going to be working at least part time through the next decade and ease into it.

Doing it without all of the above borders on the impossible and it's so far above the average that it's criminal to suggest people can follow the footsteps.
High earner, no kids, and saving half+ of income have generally been understood to be requirements for pre-45 retirement. Not sure if white is mandatory.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 24, 2021