Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

bowmore posted:

I just realized I work in the industry.
Good luck. I just got out. I hung up my apron this week to become a blowhole in a shirt and tie all day.

I am going to miss commercial cooking. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

crackhaed posted:

Weirdest kitchen injury I've had is definitely a dried fish splinter from shaving a sharp piece of katsuobushi that jammed and my hand kept going.
Ooh!! If we're playing this game, then I'll add spearing my thumb with a chicken bone

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

down1nit posted:

Is there a big stereotype for Chicago? I keep hearing "up and coming arts/food/culture/tango dancing scene", even though Chicago has been around as long as SF has.

I guess Chicago is known for it's... baseball rivalry?
Hey man don't be forgettin' about the dogs

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

bowmore posted:

People wear Crocs to work? People wear Crocs?
When I kitchen'd I had the Shoes for Crews FROGGZ, they were awesome and very comfy. I would never wear them out in public but for slaving away in a rotten pit they're great!

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

bottles and cans posted:

I started my new job today. A seven hour shift in an office, and I got out at 5 PM. Guys, I didn't exactly have it bad at my old job at the hospital, I was paid something like 12$ an hour ($10 base, plus evening and weekend differentials), had employer health insurance, dental, retirement fund and paid earned time off (to the order of 4 hours per week worked).

But god drat if I didn't have to squat to the floor, or lift something heavy, or scald myself with steam from the steam table or the dish-machine, or literally smell a dying person covered in poo poo a single time today.

OFFICE JOBS, YOU GUYS.

e:

I have Saturday AND Sunday off of work WHAT IS THIS
Yup. Did all sorts of cooking jobs, now I work at a bank. EVERY holiday off, every weekend off, full 40 a week, it's nice. A lot of people don't realize how demanding kitchen work is though which makes me laugh when other people in the office complain about "the pile of dishes" or something dumb when there's 3 plates in the sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

mindphlux posted:

conclusion : buy a shitload of cheap used commercial kitchen equipment at a bargain, and put it in storage, because hey - your day is coming mindphlux, your day is coming. :I
Yup. Craigslist is awesome for this. I almost spent $200 on a 3-burner flat top this week, and I found a slicer for $25 a bit ago. Reported the slicer to the police and gave them the seller's address and number just in case it was reported stolen if they need to contact either of us. I called Hobart too and I guess nobody reported it to them that it's stolen either.

• Locked thread