Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Wroughtirony posted:

I agree with everything Black August said, but sometimes as expo you can't spare someone's feelings just because they're slammed. It sucks all around, but sometimes you have to get loud and intense (but never abusive or rude) to get the job done.

Anyone who gets sensitive that the expo had a raised voice or got a little snappy needs to reconsider working around food. Expos snap at everyone, it's the nature of the job. After the rush everything is fine, you just can't take it personal.

Now, someone doing double-duty is worth some nice words after the rush, and maybe a beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Easter was goddamn hilarious. We did 540 covers for brunch. 400 covers is a solid Friday night.

The printers were acting up. We had to take CC payments offline. There was a power outage. A kid pissed his pants all the way down the hallway to the bathroom. The GM had to change his shirt after he got splashed with gross water fixing something in the dishpit.

Honestly, by the end of brunch I was just praying for an earthquake.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

My whole loving section was full of weirdos today. A double shift full of weirdos who didn't know how to dine.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Our newish assistant manager may have had a small heart attack at the end of service today. He's going to go see a doctor tomorrow I think. It was a fun shift.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Midniter posted:

This Mexican place opened in a high-end shopping mall near my workplace. They had a soft open in April of 2012. To celebrate Cinco de Mayo, they offered their entire menu for $5, regardless of the dish...for the entire month of May. Guess who went out of business shortly afterward?

This is hilarious.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

One of our owners was almost falling-down drunk tonight. During what was ostensibly some kind of business dinner. It's sort of embarrassing.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

He meant 2 chefs, at least one of whom is always available, i.e. they have complementing schedules. In a broader sense though that only makes it very slightly better.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Filboid Studge posted:

Encourage the rich to eat themselves.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah there's definitely a jump between stuff like tongue and heart, and stuff like lungs and brains. Kidneys, liver, etc. fall somewhere in between, mainly because of their potentially strong flavor.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You know people died in the streets for overtime protections. They died like dogs.

Don't be okay with your employer breaking the law and trying to get you to help him.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Simoom posted:

You can get high on nutmeg!

I have a friend who just grated a whole nutmeg into a cup of boiling water and then drank it. He was hallucinating and vomiting for like 2 days. I don't recommend recreational nutmeg.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Not down in California we don't.

:(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Tender Child Loins posted:

Thomas Keller just called me on my cell to invite me to cook at a competition at Bouchon. I can finally die in peace.*

*But not until I destroy the competition.

Holy poo poo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Uncle Lizard posted:

I'm not saying people shouldn't get paid more money. I'm saying it's going to get fought tooth and nail and probably never happen. I also know that every place I've ever worked at that want corporate or a private club would be straight up out of business if they had to pay $15 an hour. I'm curious to see how it all goes down at the end of the day. I don't think it's going to turn out well, but we can always hope for the best.

No they wouldn't. They would marginally raise prices to cover the increase in labor cost, and since this is a universal minimum wage increase in the state so would all their competitors. The higher prices would largely be absorbed by a) the higher disposable income for people who were making the lower minimum wage earlier and b) the excess income of those already making more (and much more) than minimum wage. The net result is a slight transfer of wealth from the top downwards. Nobody would go out of business unless they are lovely at running a business and those people end up failing anyway.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

I hate to say it, but if $400 a month ($2.50 x 40 x 4) is going to break the bank, the place has already failed and needs to shut down. A single piece of major equipment breaking will put them out of business at that point.

Yeah that was basically my point. A minimum wage increase wouldn't be the reason the place closed. Any unexpected expense or surprise would do it because it's a poorly-run business.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I almost can't believe Simoom is real.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Just did a 14 hour shift, figured you gays would appreciate this

e: Also, Willie Tomg isn't being guilted into coming to work, but tomorrow will suck without him.

That's a good Dickbutt.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah man much love mindphlux but the only person hurt by wage transparency is the owner, who then can't keep people in the dark about being underpaid.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Just because the law allows no-cause firing doesn't mean it allows them to have a policy that is in violation of federal law. Also, you mean at-will employment. Right to Work has to do with unions being able to run a closed shop.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Who buys a premium-priced protein to run as a special? Unless you're demo-ing a new menu item I guess.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Radio Help posted:

Just food cost. Supposedly liquor and all the rest of the overhead is totally where it needs to be. That's why I'm baffled, I've never heard of this poo poo going over 40%.

Definitely, I just hope this bookkeeper is an actual bookkeeper, but I've got this weird suspicion that it's just a guy they know who's good at Excel. This place is less than 6 months old at this point.

Part of me just wants to say "not my circus" but the KM is a good buddy of mine and I don't want to see him out of a job.

They are doomed.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah there's no way they are running 110% food cost. However, the fact that they honestly think they are proves that they are doomed.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Tonight was a lovely night at work until the end, when my suggestion to my GM that we should make it a habit to open a bottle from the cellar with the staff each night (so we can sell from the list better) turned into "let's open 4 of our finest Spanish wines and you know what we'll drink them at cost."

Apparently in the Bay Area it's the going hipster thing, but Canary Island wines are my favorite.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Quail egg omlettes, 10 eggs per.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah the oil and vinegar suggestion is actually good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That's what I do. If someone wants to tell me they're gluten free they're going to have to then either forgo the (fantastic) fried new potatoes, or admit that their poo poo doesn't matter.

Actual celiac sufferers are unfailingly polite and grateful for our accommodations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The point is that people with meaningful medical issues tend to be polite, knowledgeable about what in fact contains gluten, and consistent in their needs.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

Plunking random unasked-for free food in front of someone is a great way to make your restaurant look inept. It's also a great way to make your guests feel uncomfortable about what to do about food they don't want to eat but were served anyway. Sending it to a totally random table was, as you discovered, a really bad idea.

There's totally a good way to take a mis-fire and send it to a table in the right way though. It relies upon you having servers that have a rapport with their tables and a good sense for presentation, but it's not an inherently bad idea.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I had one of those "tables keep getting sat in my section and none of them have water glass oh god where are the water glasses and my manager is drunk" server nightmares this morning.

Looking forward to New Year's Eve!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

When I used to work at a BBQ spot people would order well-done steak and it blew my mind cause we had a 12-hour brisket that was sure loving well done but also tender and delicious. I think part of the problem is that the phrase "well done" seems a bit like "cooked properly". I wish the term were something like "extremely done" or "very cooked" or something instead.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hahahah 10 gallons of lamb stock and 2 gallons of cherry reduction what the gently caress. That's mise for days and days of service. Jesus Christ.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

A Man and his dog posted:

Sooo, table orders an Italian Combo sub.

I put on the ticket "MAYO ON BOTH SIDES OF BREAD"... That's pretty drat self explanatory I think.

Well HC reads it as a side of mayo. As soon as it comes out I know it's wrong. I tell him this.

HC gets all pissed cause it's dinner rush. Takes the sandwich out of the window and basically finger fucks the mayo on the sandwich.

Take it to customer. "The gently caress is that? Uhh no."

And I get blamed for this. Lol this industry.

You shouldn't set some hosed up dish in front of a guest. At that moment you go to a manager to let them know that your dish got hosed by a dumbass and that you are about to have an incident. If you're not at a place where you are able to hit up a manager in a situation like that it is imperative that you stop giving any fucks and also start shopping your resume around.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm quitting tomorrow and it feels really good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It sucks because I love the GM, but I really, really hate the owners, and they're squeezing labor to the point that service is a joke for our price point.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Simoom posted:

was told I do not swear enough for the kitchen. We're chefs. drat hell rear end chefs!

You're cooks.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's like walking around a military base and calling everyone "General."

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Just say no.

Last day is tomorrow. Feels good man.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Last day was today. New GM asked me if I was sure I didn't want to stay on and manage with him? He seems like a really solid boss, but I don't believe in the owners. So I cleared out my locker, got in my car, lit up a celebratory cigar, and drove home.

Wonder what's next.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

People literally died in the streets for what labor protections (minimum wage, overtime, etc.) we have. And also, just because certain states don't afford certain rights to their workers doesn't make it acceptable.

Any time you talk down a fellow worker for wanting breaks or reasonable schedules or proper pay you're doing the work of the owners for them. You're helping them make more money off of an employee and worsening your own situation too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I always just tell my server "As rare as you feel comfortable serving it" and then if it comes out not rare I just make a note, but almost never send it back. I know as a server I always want to know if a guest isn't satisfied, but as a diner it's almost never worth the hassle.

• Locked thread