Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

So are you just a server who can do your own comps? That sounds like terrible policy. Also, I really don't like the idea of servers paying for their mistakes. If you want to run a clean house the house should pay for errors, but the server should be retrained/disciplined as necessary to avoid them. Letting people pay for their errors allows things to get way too loose and problems can get out of control that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That is a loving incredible looking sandwich though, good on you.

Vorenus posted:

My serving gig wants me to work Sundays. It's laughable that they expect me to either go to one day off per week or completely rearrange my life outside of this PT job in order to accommodate the needs of a place where the mgmt intentionally hampers my ability to make money. I've also heard that Sunday afternoons are terrible for pay esp. during football season, but that's almost moot compared to my other reasons.

Any other servers of the opinion that self-seaters should be considered nonexistent by staff until they approach the host stand and ask for a table like the rest of the human race does?

I think I've almost perfected the polite-yet-withering "Did the host forget to bring menus when she sat you?"

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Some of those self-seaters could have been prevented, but lots of people just blow past the host stand and head upstairs to seat themselves. Considering that often one person in a party will arrive first and the rest of their party will come meet them it can make it difficult to tell the self-seaters from the late-comers. Many self-seaters will make gestures as though they know what they're doing, and everything is fine.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

At my last gig (Latin American cuisine done California style) it was like 75% app, and probably 60% dessert. We had a loving incredible dessert selection at that place though. At my current barbecue restaurant it's maybe 25% app and like 5% dessert people get loving stuffed on ribs and don't have room.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Republicans posted:

Just started working at a pub that offers me unlimited access to tater tots and nacho cheese.

Pray for me.

Try managing a BBQ restaurant where you have access to unlimited brisket and mac and cheese.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

AA is for Quitters posted:

And agreed on the "why go to the doc for a cold" thing. Suck that poo poo up and work with it. The only thing that I'd ever give a free pass to is a food borne illness just because that's a food safety issue. A cold is... A cold. Yes they suck but you have to be a baby to think that warrants a day off. From any job, office poo poo with pto included.

This is so loving stupid bro.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Tipping is the cancer at the heart of American dining.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Secret Spoon posted:

Tis the season to jump ship.

I'm working at a carnivorous plant nursery right now.

Also that wine sounds dope add hell.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Trebuchet King posted:

Okay, thread, here's hoping you can help me out.

I need a service/product that will make communicating and alerting and schedule presenting easier. Hotschedules is, in my own experience as an employee, pretty solid, but we're a small operation, with not even 30 staff members.

Mostly what I'm looking for is just more convenient communication via/plus digital redundancy for our analog systems, so instead of calling as happy hour rush hits, Server Jim can just check his phone when he can't remember if it's 4:30 or 5:30 today, or if the GM wants to send out a blanket reminder that certain discounts are mutually exclusive, he can, that kind of thing.

Even just like a label for this kind of thing so I know how to look up options myself would be an immense help.

Is there a reason that HotSchedules doesn't work? I used it as a manager and it's really useful. A non-integrated plan (i.e. not integrated with your POS) is only like $70/mo, plus a $200 setup/training fee. Integrated plans are more expensive (can't remember how much – we didn't have a compatible POS), but there's lots of great functionality there in terms of projecting labor cost percentage and stuff.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Chinese people get married on Thanksgiving cause that means the restaurants can close and all their family can be there.

Also, in your earlier post you said something about how if he had slapped your rear end you could have just dealt with it as just-the-way-kitchens-are. I uh, encourage you to reevaluate that position.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I once got food poisoning by eating some raw mushrooms while I was making curry. That moment of relief after vomiting didn't come until like 7 hours later. I would just puke and feel just as nauseated as ever. Also I was actually sitting sideways on the toilet and puking into the bathtub, because the diarrhea was so bad too. I uh, called out that morning before finally falling asleep at 10 am.

Don't eat raw mushrooms kids.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I always liked writing notes to the cooks when there were a lot of mods on a ticket. "Sorry guys" or "Have it your way" or whatever. I have a friend from that job who would start writing flirtatious notes to the chef when it was slow because he was a really nice guy and would get all flustered and embarrassed about it. That owned.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Vorenus posted:

I'm grasping at straws, but maybe a difference in the syrup to water or carbonation ratios? Years ago, there was a specific store that consistently had the most delicious Cherry Coke I have ever tasted. When I stopped drinking pop, that was my only weakness. I could walk past one of those fancy hundred's of flavors Coke machines without a thought, but every time I stopped there it was a serious effort not to cave.

A note: The rest of this post is slightly E/N, though not in a whiny sort of way. Just something I found amusing, some people might like it and others won't.

A few nights back, I went to take the CC slips form a table that had left. Now, our rewards program is cardless - we get guests to put their phone number on their receipt, and we have a separate terminal where we use that to ID their account for putting the points on. One of these slips has a name and phone number on it, so I take it to the terminal and look up the number. No match. Then I noticed the winking smiley face next to the name "Stephen". This is mostly hilarious to me because of just how slowly my brain began to process what had happened. I'm absolutely not homophobic, and as the guy was handsome and very polite I took it as a compliment; even more than that, I can only imagine the courage it took and good on him for trying. However, given my choice, I'd rather it had been an attractive young woman.

This came up tangentially with another table toward the end of the night, and I relayed basically what I wrote above. This led to a very entertaining and enjoyable conversation with an old-school black* woman in her 50s to 60s while her two grandchildren (about my age, mid-20s) looked on in horror. Her end of the conversation was essentially this: Homosexuality is a lot more open than it was when she was my age, and was this guy noticeably gay? No? Well, there's one in every family. I know which one it is in mine even if he doesn't think I do. Y'know, women love a man with a nice body, and if a man likes other men, why shouldn't he want the same exact thing? I LOVE a man with a nice firm body. [Granddaughter] here, she goes to the gym and says she sees women keep checking her out, and she doesn't think it's normal, I say why should she be surprised? You're a very handsome man, Vorenus."

*It's important to note that they were black because I'm pretty sure that's the only thing that saved the two younger women from glowing red with embarrassment. While I can take great care of a table, serving is about 90% of my social interaction and I'm sometimes borderline Asperger's on noticing social cues. It wasn't until one of the girls made a "Gogogogogo" motion in conjunction with an absolutely mortified facial expression that I realized their embarrassment wasn't so much "Haha, silly grandma again" as it was "I'm so embarrassed I'm losing my will to live".

tl;dr Older lady with entertainingly honest opinions disproves stereotypes.

Before anyone asks, while I can acknowledge that the man was handsome, I do not have any opinion or evidence as to whether or not he "gets down".

Confirmed, older black ladies are a loving blast to serve when they're feeling their oats.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Owners are parasites. Alcoholic parasites.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Secret Spoon posted:

tipping is stupid and I wish it was gone.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Pineapple: the fruit that digests you back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I'm not regretting not being in restaurants over the holidays.

• Locked thread