Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I would take death over that

A very Texas response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

So I got hit by a driver riding my bike again. This time it was a hit and run, probably no chance of catching the guy, unless a few nearby businesses had cameras pointing toward the street.

Broke my collarbone clean in half on the right side, and I'm supposed to start the new job on the 5th. Still haven't informed them of the injury, not even sure if I should. Wife's insurance coverage is insanely good, so I'll only be out maybe $200 when all is said and done, and I'm really going to insist on surgery, because I really don't have 6-8 weeks to just lay in bed and wait for bone to mend.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah dude tell them. Not like it's a DUI.

I did, haven't heard anything back though. Think they're all on vacation due to the holiday.

Got an appointment with my ortho guy Monday, just gonna ask him to do surgery since it'll only cost me 20bux, and it's a shorter recovery time, and doesn't involve me having to keep my arm mostly still for 6-8 weeks, which may as well be impossible for me.

On the upside, I found the guy that hit me's truck via Google Street View, he lives literally down the street from where I was hit, just hoping the police actually follow up on it.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Getting a metal plate in my chest Thursday. :black101:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Bussamove posted:

CdC slowly working on turning himself into an actual Cuisinart.

Stay safe, cyborg chef.

That's my real endgame.

Man let me tell you h'what, the stockpile of painkillers and benzos I have right now is kinda ridiculous. And I can only assume it gets sillier after surgery because it's just assumed that people can't handle pain for a month or more.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Well this doesn't hurt, yet.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

3 days post surgery and I feel great!

If any of you duders break your collarbone, go for the surgery. Screw trying to heal it naturally. How in the hell am I supposed to immobilize my upper body for 6-8 weeks?

The nerve block did wear off around 8pm the day of surgery, not the following day like they'd estimated. That night suuuuuuucked.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

infiniteguest posted:

We're with the 1 hotel group at their Brooklyn Bridge location. 2 million is a bit above our current budget but that might be roughly what the total kitchen equipment will cost in the end.

Place I just started at is currently building additional banquet and meeting spaces. It's adding a 2nd banquet kitchen and a small cafe/bistro. Gonna load it all up with Rationals and other ridiculously nice equipment. Dunno what our budget is, probably 500k-ish. The expansion is expected to add 7-10mil in F&B revenue yearly.

Going from doing drat near everything in a place that does 4mil a year to only doing hot banquets in a place that does 35mil a year is just hilarious. My work load has dropped considerably, I'm really going to enjoy this.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

2nd week of June through the first week of August is always dead in Austin. Too hot for tech conferences.

It's pretty slow at the new place, only have a group of 600 all week. Which is nice, cause I'm not supposed to be using my right arm. Which I totally, definitely, have not used once, nope, not ever.

It's also really weird not being super hands on. I have a full staff of banquet cooks, so I don't really do much in the way of cooking. Looks like a lot of my time and energy will go to menus and this new expansion. Which has a 2nd banquet kitchen that I need to figure out what kind of equipment I want over there. Also shopping around through vendors for all new banquet set ups.

It's a totally different beast, and I'm really excited to see what some busy months look like!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Wife found this at half price books yesterday, on a 40% off day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

I'm front of house so need more context, is this what the kitchen at my last place should have been reading?

It's Modernist Cuisine. Like a $600 set of textbooks. Got em for $180.

But yeah, everyone should be reading them.

• Locked thread