Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Also, those coats go down to your wrists for a reason. They're heat guards and oil guard.

That said, us badasses roll them the gently caress up or wear short sleeves.

Chef's been giving me poo poo lately 'cause he somehow just now noticed all the marks on my forearms. "You look like a cutter. Got some problems you wanna talk about?" Jerk. I *am* a bit of a klutz, and after five or six hours those hotbox racks get fuckin' hot as gently caress. Also plastic wrap blades :xd:

edit: ^ Ice? You win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
Customers yelling? Jeezy Creezy, I thought my place was bad...

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Dimloep posted:

Customers yelling? Jeezy Creezy, I thought my place was bad...

So one of the front desk girls comes though the kitchen on her way to lunch, and she looks frazzled. She tells me there's this dude who's been calling every minute for the past three hours, slinging all kinds of poo poo at her, at one point calling her a "dirty whore". I don't understand what goes through some peoples' minds. If that had happened to me, I'd be spending my lunch break in the GM's office.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
Oh, gently caress. I'm so sorry, Wrought.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
Last year we had a plated event around the 500 mark, and when they were planning the menu with our catering dept or whoever, they wanted *three* proteins. Chef helpfully pointed out that we'd have to rent plates big enough for such shenanigans. Oh, and the night of the event, we had, like, 50 no-shows. Temp banquet servers had smoked filets and airline chicken breast for dinner that evening.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

Alternatively, look into programs like Amazon's Mechanical Turk. I know there are a ton out there, some better than others, but you could do them all from a laptop while sitting. Some you can even automate pretty well with a bit of scripting.

SA probably has a thread on it somewhere, if you look around.

Get-Paid-To site MEGApost. Earning Swagbucks and such for Amazon and PayPal gift cards, or straight-up cash from other sites, can take a little pressure off when hours are slim. I can give you referral links, if you'd like.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
And now we do the dance of slow-as-gently caress holiday week. Nine days off. I might go mad.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
Yeah, we're a hotel-conference center combo, and we're used pretty heavily for training for the company that owns us (and most of the city). This week and last were mind-searingly busy, so I'm looking forward to a short break before the $10K piece of business sometime in December, plus whatever else we have going on. Like the wedding on New Year's Eve.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
I'm pretty sure that's how we ended up with this one kid. He started late summer last year, I think, and started culinary school soon after. He was consistently awful at everything, and didn't retain any criticism/correction. And I heard from another coworker who goes to school with him that he set the kitchen there on fire trying to smoke a rabbit with dry chips. He quit sometime before New Years. I'm pretty sure he's just a rich kid who watched too much Iron Chef/Chopped/whatever; he drove a BMW, and I once saw him wearing this watch that looked like it cost more than my car.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
I have the second-highest seniority among our cooks, and I've been at the hotel and conference center for 2.75 yrs. My count of the number of cooks who have started and quit since I started is 20, I think. And there's the eight people who had been there a while when I started who were all gone within my first year.

Oh, have I told you guys how much I love trying to run what is effectively two small restaurants out of a banquets kitchen? Because it's loving awesome. No, really, I love it. I love it at least as much as our F&B manager loved having 40+ people in the pub tonight drinking water. Only water.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Black August posted:

You'd think there'd be some rule that allows you to heckle people like that until they either get the hell out or actually buy something. If you just run in and grab a glass and then leave right away, I guess so, sure, but sitting there and only having water and not buying anything seems offensive as poo poo. You're wasting space, time, and money, and you're not a customer since you're not even buying anything.

Oh, they were ordering food. That was the "running restaurants out of a banquets kitchen" part. It kills me that we even bothered to put a kitchen (and I use the term very, very loosely) in the pub when it's only ever been a storage area. And that the bartenders offer customers the room service menu as well as the pub's menu.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
Nothing like walking into work while AM crew is getting reamed by the bosses.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Yeah, hotels generally give you the overtime because they can easily afford it, and would rather have higher skilled work than paying a bunch of schleppers 10/hr to work 30-35/wk.

Except where I work. I'm lucky if I get 15 hrs of OT a year, and we keep hiring culinary students who know ~everything~ but can't make a goddamn club sandwich.

I need to get out of this place.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
I feel that way about where I work, and I haven't quite been there 3 years (hire date is 9 June). I need to see just how much of a pay cut I can actually afford, and maybe just get a prep cook gig somewhere. Getting real sick of having to break away from a plate-up to make burgers and pizzas, and dealing with our first-day-every-day server who just this week almost took a burger without the fuckin' pattie on the plate :bang:

But I finally get to use my vacation as a vacation and not just to survive a slow month. I lost 32 hrs last year, no way was I gonna lose 80 this year. I'm gonna read by the pool and go to parks and play with my puppyniece and it's gonna be awesome!

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
Someday my coworkers will learn how to count. Today is not that day. I hope that maybe that day comes before the five-weddings-in-four-days clusterfuck. I highly doubt it will be.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
Boss actually did my annual performance review *on time* this year. Got my $0.25/hr raise. Woohoo?

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
The new kid pretty much called our Exec an idiot to his face twice during the plate-ups tonight. I wish we weren't so tragically understaffed so we could fire his rear end.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
I know cleaning and *keeping* the kitchen clean where I work is a struggle. We store so much crap on the shelves under our prep tables, and it seems like no one can work neatly, so they get trashed. The cooks on each shift have to maintain the buffet and action station during service, and we're rushed out the door (or off the clock, at least) as soon as service is done, 'cause we can't have 0.01 hr overtime. So the bare minimum gets done, and all the little things pile up and I hate it. so. much. Then our health inspection rolls around (I still don't get why we're told when they're coming up), and it's a scramble to get things clean enough that we don't get too many dings. Some days, I feel like calling the health department on us for a random inspection.

I need a new job.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
Sounds familiar. The exec is on vacation all week, as is our receiver; our PM lead had to do inventory Sunday night. Which is totally not his job to do.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Little bit of schadenfreude tonight. I happened to drive by my old bakery, and they're still closed since June. Sign up on the door that they'd reopen in late July after some remodeling, and the place is a mess of half-finished construction.

Delivery van's gone, nobody doing doing the overnight baking for morning deliveries. Guess the overnight breakfast business that I spent two years with a single break longer than 36 hours running fell apart after I left. Can't say as I'm too sorry, the pay sucked and when it started showing up late I hit the door.

That is delicious.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
I'm the Receiving Agent for a conference center/hotel, and 55-60% of our business is from an insurance company, so we're dead enough this coming week that I don't need to be there at all. I definitely need a break before we get crushed by Wedding Season.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Mom's dad is fine, he has a protien and potassium deficiency(HOW). Dad's dad, not so great. He had a routine checkup this morning and went into cardiac arrest when he got a shot of something, we don't know what. He's stable, but in a coma. His state is unresponsive, and my dad's a wreck over it. My dad who last week decided to stop his chemo and radiation, and just live as well as he can on what time he's got left. So, in summation, gently caress this week!

Oh no :ohdear:

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

(had half a fingernail ripped off; exposed nailbed is, uh, pretty loving painful as it turns out).

I've been there an embarrassing number of times, sliced more often than ripped.

[/quote] Do regular restaurants have REAL 1st aid kits (with like, gauze and finger cots and other poo poo that would've helped me)? Do I need to just keep some gauze, superglue, and duct tape in my locker? Thankfully it was only half hour from my break, so I played thru the pain with a pointless tiny bandaid on it, then used the 1st aid kit in my car to wrap that poo poo up proper.
[/quote]

Ours is fair-to-middlin', we have a small variety of adhesive bandages, the world's worst waterproof tape, antibiotic ointment and antiseptic wipes, some gauze, tweezers, and I think there's a body fluid clean-up kit. It's stocked by Cintas, but not with any regular pattern that I've been able to discern.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

pile of brown posted:

Also what kind of poo poo hole do you work in where you only get food in one day a week?

For real. We get Sysco in M/W/F, Northern Haserot nearly daily, produce M-Sat, Blue Ribbon at least once a week, and another meat purveyor and InstantWhip every now and then. It's definitely job security for me.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

I think Wrought has the best allergy story with salt.

I love that story :allears:

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Who the gently caress gets scalding hot oil/stock/etc. on their feet? Jesus loving Christ, you suck at your job at that point.

Two years ago, only an hour into a Saturday shift, I slipped and fell in front of the fryer (combination of torn mat and grease on the floor). No, I wasn't running, because I'm not a loving moron. Or maybe I am. It left some interesting scars, though, which is a weird sort of bonus.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

Hobo Camp posted:

This is a cruise ship.

There's no way this isn't a cruise ship.

A former sous chef of ours had a side gig (now his main gig) carving ice sculptures and fruit/veg sculpture, and I know he did at least one of these shrimp luges for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

So Part Two of my crazy Saturday...

[fuckin' rad news]

Awesome! So happy for you both!

• Locked thread