Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JawKnee posted:

if it isn't fake it takes some serious stupid commitment to make business cards for handing out at restaurants

or too much money and time I guess

You can get 500 for like 5 bux. Maybe :10bux: if you don't get the best sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

At least you won't get malaria.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wear makeup only one day, but apply it to make yourself look worse.

Claim you forgot to wear makeup.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A Man and his dog posted:

Seriously what the gently caress is that poo poo?!? Am I suppose to feel important or special because I'm eating off a rock?

Eat Paleo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah the money cycles rapidly through a restaurant, so you can either rapidly turn profits into more profits, or rapidly lose a shitload of cash when nobody eats anything and the food spoils.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blast Hardcheese.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Secret Spoon posted:

I knew this kid in high school who drank tons of faygo. What a weird dude.

Juggalo.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trebuchet King posted:

So one of the duties I'm picking up in my promotion to management is maintaining our web presence, and looking over our website one thing that's really kinda jumping out at me is that our menu page has things listed in a different order than the print menu...is this just me being overly compulsive? I get the feeling if I make it all match it'll be easier to make sure things that need to change when we add new items or change pricing or whatever don't fall through the cracks.

Just make sure it isn't a drat pdf menu.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trebuchet King posted:

There's a button to open a pdf of the print menu but the menu page is just, like, text. I'm working on getting better and more photos.

That's good, it's a real pain in the rear end to try to browse a pdf on a smartphone (the worst sites have each page as a separate pdf).

If I can read the hours, phone number, address, a menu, and maybe even daily specials without clicking through a billion links or using flash, I consider it a a great website.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Don't photograph your food. Plating changes all the time and someone will complain about it. Or the angle you took the photo at makes it look fantastic, but when they actually get the plate they aren't happy.

The only exceptions I can think of are if you're a bakery, or harold's new york deli. And the latter doesn't include photos despite them being 100% necessary.

EDIT: Oh, one other thing. If the kitchen closes but the bar stays open, list when that happens.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 2, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Whoa, at first I thought that was a typo and he meant "for the dishpit" but did he actually mean "dishpig?!" That's hosed.

We don't even call it a "dishpit" anymore, no member of the team deserves to have their work place referred to as a "pit."

It's like one of these but for dishes.

Very water-efficient.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

That said, the biggest piece involving restaurants that always gets left out of the discussion on minimum wage is that if you up the take-home pay of the working poor, they're going to be spending more money, often with the same industry that pays them.

Yeah. The classic example is Henry Ford doubling the wages of all his workers (to five dollars a day), cutting hours to eight per day, five days a week, and ending up doubling his profits in the next two years.

Hmm, five dollars a day... after inflation that'd be $120 per eight hour day... which works out to be 15 dollars an hour.

Huh.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Republicans posted:

Yesterday someone ordered a BLT with half the bacon. What.

So a bLT

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Naelyan posted:

Everyone else has already commented on how funny and hilarious the rest of this is, but parm isn't not-vegan, it's not even vegetarian. Your veg option isn't veg.

Bah, that gets into figs not being vegetarian either.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Splizwarf posted:

By that logic, roadkill is vegan.

Only if it was killed by a vehicle driven by a nonhuman!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Turkeybone posted:

My boss, awesome dude, is vegan. He's typically not a dick about it at all. We work in wine -- he's the director, so a decent chunk of his job is going out to eat. And boy some of the vegan plates he's seen are downright pathetic. Like, if he just gets 4 vegetable sides or whatever, that's ok, but many places are soo much worse than that.

When you mentioned your boss I thought of the E/N thread about somebody's boss making them awesome vegan salads every day, and trying to figure out how to politely ask them to not do that every day.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A Man and his dog posted:

I thought secret spoon was a chick this whole time......

Dear god.

Spoon is a euphemism.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So less tasing menu, more authentic medieval feast.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I forget did we ever come up with a polite response for when a table has been the only loving people in the restaurant for over an hour and then asks "are we keeping you?"

If it's before closing, or up to 100 seconds after closing, you can politely state the hours.

Otherwise, :getout:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

This is my friend's mom. She is an old hippy and only started this stuff in the last year or so.

She does make the best jelly I have ever eaten so she gets a pass.

Just make sure nobody tells her gelatin isn't vegan

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

pile of brown posted:

Why would you use gelatin instead of pectin in jelly?

Oh, right americans call jams jellies. Disregard that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I see your point, thanks. It drives home the absurdity, though, that the issue is aprons, and not, y'know, cold water and 90% diluted grade Z soap being put into old containers at every public and staff restroom. Hands are a bigger poop vector than my apron, last time I checked, how's about we get that poo poo correct, first?

That, and the way it was explained to us was -- really -- "some of the Army staff don't like seeing the dirty aprons when they use the restroom. Take your apron off before using them." Sanitation wasn't even mentioned.

Crossposting from the comicstrip megathread...

Outbursts of everett true, 1916.

Turns out 100 years and people still bitch about appearances.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trebuchet King posted:

Any of y'all dealt much with getting an app set up for your restaurant? The GM and I just pored over some review lists and poked through some sites, compared pricing, etc., and I was hoping some firsthand recommendations would be something we could factor in to my evaluations and eventual recommendation.

Things we definitely want:
Calendar functionality (we're also a live entertainment venue, mostly music but some comedy too)
Geotargeted marketing/pushing
Coupon-esque stuff
Apple/Android definitely, the boss is skeptical of windows phones being worth considering

He's looking at it as mostly a marketing venue; I kinda see more value in it as an extension of our social media/newsletter/web stuff, which I guess is just less direct marketing at the end of the day.

I think the key value it'd have is hopefully turning some of our entertainment traffic into general traffic as well?

I'd recommend checking out what type of cross-restaurant apps like Hooked are already being used in your area. It's easier if people can just use something they already have, instead of struggling with the app store mid-dinner.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

goodness posted:

That's why we have a dishwasher specifically for oysters.

And another for cooking lasagna.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mindphlux posted:

this doesn't even work for large statewide chains, much less a place with just one or two storefronts. I mean a loyalty card yeah, but an app for the card? jesus

It works if you have a third party handle the actual app, provided they cross-promote it and get networking benefits. But at that point you're paying $45/month for the privileged of giving your customers free poo poo. The local McDonalds near me are all signed on with one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So now that I'm back out of the industry and making money again i can afford to do things. My buddy and I have been distilling rums and whiskey for about a year now and I recently started brewing beers, choosing a sour saison as my first attempt.

Industry thread, give me ideas on sour beers to try to make and completely gently caress up.

On the plus side, anything that tastes horrible and is undrinkable can be thrown in the magic copper box to become spirits, so win/win regardless.

How about someone just tosses a ton of menus into a computer and have it tell you what to make

EDIT:
grapefruits and milk with crackers & all bottle of milk

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

club punch, v.v. seal

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'd ask a local marghead about it. Once you start pulling over 7 MPM you gotta have a nearly indestructable prejuicing stage on your margarita machine.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bloody ghost titty posted:

Or you could finish your work early and do extra on your own, which is how people get promoted.

No, that's how you get stuck in the same job, because promoting you means they'd have to hire two guys to replace you, but promoting slacker bob will barely change a thing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Business Gorillas posted:

you can't tell if having a stranger puke in your car is a good or a bad thing?

I'm sure some CAPTAIN OF INDUSTRY is already well on his way to creating a pukemobile to make his customers cough up the extra cash.'

The free market dictates that cars that already smell like puke are gonna be more profitable.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TheSnowySoviet posted:

Yeah, it's all for labeling & dating. The context is that everything on every cook's station must be labeled and dated, and "some idiot bought the wrong tape" is a dodgy excuse that my chef won't accept. The sous is adamant that all the lovely tape (cases of it, I think) be used up first, but using it means that my station won't be health-code-compliant. Chef/sous are extremely well known in the area and abroad, and I don't want a rep as The Cook Who Can't Label Things, ergo I'm going to have to buy my own tape.

And yes, absolutely, the health inspector finding unlabeled/undated product, especially proteins, will get any cook I work with a written reprimand or a final paycheck.

Remove one roll of lovely tape a day, until it's all gone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cali is where you find the straunt.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He's responsible for :douche:, so really he has a lot to make up for.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Turkeybone posted:

What the actual gently caress does 88 mean?

:pseudo: It's one of those nazi things. 88 = HH = Heil Hitler.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Basic multiplication man to get 20 h at 60c you go 3 h at 400 c

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Emphasis on 'feels'.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

beanbrew posted:

I work as a barista/cashier in a café that does counter service and yesterday, when I asked a woman for her name so we could call out her food, she told me that it was on her card. Okay, whatever, but I said something like "Oh, you know, I figure it's polite to check with people on how they'd like to be called for their food." and she started going on about how if anyone ever hands me a card I shouldn't ask them for a name, and they should go gently caress themselves if they want to be called something else.

That's when you ask her for her photo ID, because clearly she can't recall the name listed on the card and is worried about contradicting it, and it's required by corporate ma'am to protect people from identity theft.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I don't really see a personal injury attorney interested in pursuing that?

Well I mean you can ask them if you have a case for free, and if they smell blood in the water they'll tell you.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Another of my patented dumb customer questions:

My favorite local restaurant has just started one of those "Buy 10 entrees, get the eleventh free" promotions. Should I be worried about their finances?

Yes, but you should be worried about the finances of all restaurants at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DekeThornton posted:

A question for the industry folks. I've been amusing myself with reading Tripadvisor reviews for Stockholm restaurants, mostly because I've been curious too se what non locals think of my favorite places. Since most of those are pretty damned good they mostly seem to get really favorable reviews. The odd slatings however very often seem to share the theme that the reviewer appear to feel slighted in some manner. They where given a bad table, had too wait too long to order, the server gave them a look of scorn when they ordered the wrong wine, etc. The slight is described at length, and then the entire rest of the experience is slated summarily as horrible. Which indicates that the real issue is that the guest is rather unreasonably offended by feeling mistreated.

Is this a common experience in real life as well? That some guests are really, really sensitive about perceived slights, real or imaginary?

People are having a bad day and one little thing is enough to push them over the edge and be miserable

• Locked thread