Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I don't know how anyone can read Kitchen Confidential and wind up wanting to live that kind of life.

"A backbreaking physical labor job in terrible conditions with piss poor pay, benefits, and job security, plus a terrible cocaine/heroin habit, and occasionally getting to score with waitresses? I have an erection already!"

Ugh, no. I seriously appreciate what you all do for your customers, but I like good pay and benefits and weekends off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I do feel sorry for hospital cooks sometimes. Mom was a nurse, and stepdad was a cook in the same hospital, and he would sometimes bitch about the hoops he had to jump through. Like the obese diabetic heart failure patient, who was calorie-restricted to lose as much weight as he could before a heart transplant. Zero salt, minimal sugar, low fat, 1200 calories, and strictly restricted on liquid intake to lose water weight and give his heart and kidneys a break. He bitched and moaned to everyone and everything how hospital food was complete tasteless poo poo and those assholes in the kitchen were worthless and the nurses were so mean when the family brought him a large pizza and a cold 2L of Dr. Pepper (just for him! They brought even more for themselves) and the nurses would stop them and take it all away.

Mom did admit there were days she wished she could stare him straight in the eye and tell him "Your poor life choices and lack of self-control have already killed you. Here's your loving pizza."

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 6, 2016

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Turkeybone posted:

While this is a hilarious story, and all too true I'm sure, my poor life choices and lack of self-control have already killed me. So your mom can blow me while I eat a pizza.

Easy now, you say that too loud and she just might come knocking at your door with a pizza in her hand.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I think my mom and pr0k's mom share notes.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

cods posted:

I'm just doing my best to get out of there.

Dude. Don't "do your best". At the precise moment you are scheduled to begin you next shift, instead make a phone call to the owner and say "I quit." Then block that number, and next, call the health department or OSHA or whoever it takes to get that place shut down in the next 48 hours. You should not be nice, you should not be helpful, you should not care about anyone else's burdens. You should be soaking that bridge with gasoline and lighting matches.

You're just being wishy-washy, and trying to stay on good terms with people, and not rock the boat. You should be the biggest prick in the world with the urge to wreck someone's poo poo, and that place should not be in operation. gently caress it, call the owner right the gently caress now, in the middle of the night, and quit. And call the health department as soon as they open for business.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 19, 2016

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Managers in any industry will lean hard on the good employees to cover for the bad so that they can take their sweet time figuring out how to fix the problem. The only way you can do anything about it is to let your manager know she's at the limit of what you are willing to give, and then stop giving. That will give her incentive to stop loving around and do something about the problem.

Besides, she's a manager. It's literally in her job description to ensure adequate coverage, up to and including doing the job her own loving self. It's not in your job description, so stop doing it.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I don't care what the implications of the word "eco" are, but the word "EcoLab" is the precise opposite of "okay to bathe in/wear/consume" and you get what you deserve if you do.

e. I have had to call more than one person a dumbass for scrubbing their hands with butyl degreaser after filtering/cleaning the deep fryer. I get it, your hands are super greasy now and the handsoap doesn't seem to cut it, but jfc there's like a million boxes of gloves right beside the fryer use them if you don't want to get your hands filthy dipshit.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 27, 2017

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

E and F. If he pulled all that poo poo I'd hate him too.

Actually I take that back, I wouldn't get a chance to hate him because I'd fire him the first time he pulled D.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I work at a lovely chain pizza restaurant. Our GM pulled a NC/NS this week, showed up late the next day, jacked $150 out of the till at the end of the night, and NC/NS'd again the next day. He's rightfully gone now, but his area manager said "welp you two shift leads got this see you next Monday" so it's been hell trying to figure out all the GM stuff without guidance, like ordering and scheduling. Payroll is going to be fun.

Moral of the story, kiddos, don't go on multi-day meth binges. Especially if you are the GM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I've had to tell multiple cooks that if we're in the weeds, you can be on your station and busting your rear end or at home on suspension pending termination. Smoke breaks are for when the boards are clear and your station is restocked and the dishes/prep are at least manageable.

• Locked thread