Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
wrought are you at a new company altogether, or a new position within the same company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
also please detail plans to subvert and or destroy the existing establishment within/without your newfound organization. tia.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yup, that was the first change I made, as he has a nice little niche business in GF pizza. Also, I used Knorr veggie cubes instead of chicken stock, so he can sell it as Vegetarian AND Gluten-Free.

This is probably a large part of your problem - if you're looking for better-than-panera quality anyways.

Making real soup without real stock, it's just pointless....

Knorr cubes are excellent seasoning - but they're just seasoning. You wouldn't put just salt into water and call it a soup, so don't do it with knorr cubes! :)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

BlueGrot posted:

Agreed, but seems like it would be wise to do things gradually with his new padawan. Show him that a soup people will pay money for is easy to make and suddenly he MIGHT feel the urge to do a 10 gallon soup stock on a sunday just for kicks and freeze it down into single batch portions.

yeah, definitely. not advocating someone who can't even look up a recipe suddenly start making their own chicken stock. (though of course it'd be ideal) but there are commercial broth/stock products that are at least a little better than knorrs, nutritionally and body wise...

Turkeybone posted:

Fun cuts more me include star tips and ice. Like.. ice.

yeah, this is my weirdest too. I physically just lanced myself with a sharp???? shard of ice? like a splinter, where it's under your skin, and you can pull it out still. I put my hand into the ice dispenser aggressively, screamed, completely wtfed at a giant shard of ice stuck almost halfway under my thumbnail, pulled it out intact, and bled everywhere for the next half hour.

what the gently caress man, how can ice be so brutal? have gotten smaller skin cuts from it too.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bowmore posted:

Who listens to music in the kitchen? How do you do it? (iphone, stereo, etc) What get's you moving?

this over and over into infinity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COghD-UyE3U

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Chicago is iffy 1/2. I was really impressed by what I saw a lot of the time, and really unimpressed by what I saw a lot of the time. A solid 2 at least though.

Atlanta is clawing it's way up, but it's really just a 3 at the moment. there is a really awesome food scene centered around southern foodways, but it's kind of one note. fun things do happen, and our number of famous people and outstanding restaurants are increasing, but the majority of the city just wants to eat loving 12 dollar fancy burgers.

Austin I'd definitely put on the tier 3 list, good things happen in Austin.

I've never been to LA or SF - are they really tier 1?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I went to chicago pretty much solely to eat at Next restaurant for my bday last year, had some lovely goat at a mexican place that only does birria, and stumbled on publican and a couple other joints that were pretty solid - the only time the food was poo poo was at hotdog/pizza places. the architecture downtown was pretty loving awesome, and the transit seemed at least a solid class up from Atlanta.

so, while chicago may be in the middle of loving nowhere and I don't understand how anyone could ever live there, I wouldn't complain about it as a place to visit / food scene

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
No way man, atlanta is pretty irrelevant on a national/global scale outside of it being a transit hub at the moment?

but...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tom Rakewell posted:

If you're going to put Austin on the short list, you have to include Houston. Much deeper and more diverse restaurant scene, even if only by sheer numbers, and while the fine dining scene needs improvement, the ethnic/international restaurant scene is easily top 5, I'd argue top 3, in the country.

Las Vegas should be on the list somewhere too; though this is from someone who's purposely never eaten a meal on the Strip.

I love visiting New Orleans, but I think it's actually a contender for "most overrated" food city in the country. The culinary offerings are just one-dimensionally tied to Cajun/Creole/Southern influences, with maybe the odd Vietnamese restaurant thrown in. Beyond that, restaurant pickings start to get slim. The old guard restaurants are mostly coasting on their laurels, and the new wave of Southern/Creole-influenced cooking, while enjoyable, is nothing you can't find in any Southern city with a strong culinary scene, e.g. Atlanta, Charleston, Houston, etc.

I don't know man, I'd argue against Houston. For me, Austin makes the list because of number nationally recognized chefs, and a very vibrant street food + bbq scene. I'm not an expert on Houston or anything (I was only born there...), but for me it just doesn't stack up.

I agree about New Orleans, that was my experience as well. Some really great food, but one dimensional, and anytime I ventured outside of Nicer Restaurants the food quality was complete trash.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Turkeybone posted:

So I laid this all out to her, and the response was pretty much, "well thanks for the concern, but I wont talk about my relationship with you. I can take care of myself." Which pretty much means she's loving delusional. She's getting older and desperate to not be alone, and he is desperate to escape the shitstorm that is his marriage.

why would you even talk to a coworker about their relationships

maybe I'm just stone cold entrenched in the business world, but work is work, and personal life is personal life. out side of mentioning sick days and vacations, the divide should never ever be glanced at sidelong - let alone attempted to be bridged.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mediaphage posted:

Because it's his ex girlfriend

ohhh whoops, I missed that key detail. alles klar.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Crawford posted:

I haven't read the entire thread so I'm not sure if it was covered, but what do you guys do for shoes in the kitchen? I started working in a catering kitchen this week and I need a good work-shoe that is less than like, $100.

Also do I just assume all my coworkers smoke pot or should I ask them first?

Also also I figured all the talk about animosity between front/back of house was hyperbolic but the front of house people totally went and ate lunch away from the BoH people after an event the other day. :ohdear:

I slipped in some lovely "non-slip" shoes and got a pair of shoes for crews afterwards. they aren't the most comfortable things but I definitely wear them anytime I'm going to be walking around with heavy stockpots or in a slippery environment (I haven't worked in a kitchen for a while, so this isn't *that* frequent these days...)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I just wanted to share our new catering director's menu writing skills with you all

e: Yes, that is two proteins with 3 veg, 3 sauces, and a starch.

well for loving $44 / head, it better have AT LEAST 3 veg and two protein on a single plate. and hey, there are two starches - gotta have that dinner roll

god I hate corporate catering so much. I just got back from a "fancy" evening dinner meeting at a law firm, and the food - while not entirely untasty cooking and seasoning wise - was wholly predictably boring and anemic.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah honestly if I were still working kitchenside, I'd love catering. so predictable, so easy, such good margins...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

We want to move to the same square plates we use in the restaurant for banquets, but they're $35/ea, not counting the cost of the covers. We'd need at least 600 plates, preferably 1k. I don't see it happening. I think we'll just stick with the 11.95 steelite plates.

upcharge the better plates, like 2.5-5$ a head? you might have a taker with a party of like say, I dunno, 300. so you buy 300 plates? rent them out successfully to a few other people, cover the cost, and eventually maybe cover the other 300? rinse repeat to 1k?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Yeah, but the covers are about $500 for 24 since they're a special order from American Metalcraft. So it'd be like 200k for enough lids.

o u c h

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

heyfresh888 posted:

So I'm helping my brother open a wine bar and here are some shots of the food I'm going to do. If anyone is on the central coast of california, we are opening in about a month in Atascadero. Opening hasn't been anything less than a nightmare working with family who have little to know experience.

caesar salad

strawberry, turnips, almonds and buckwheat

the bread roll

risotto, parm and beef fat

quail, cardoon, apples and a dutch baby

ham and pickled mirepoix

god

drat.

:golfclap:

loving the beef fat with the risotto, the rolled caesar, and the pickled mirepoix with the ham - all very clever. quail plating is nice too.

if you leave anchovies out of any caesar you're a heathen though. at least give the diners an option maybe? some of the best anchovies I've had on a caesar were lightly dusted with flour and fried - you could keep a small container onhand vaccum sealed and have the servers ask w/wout anchovy?

I'm probably a little bit off baseline because I loving love anchovies, but I basically won't order the salad if I ask the server if the dressing/salad is made with anchovy and he/she says no.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Enderzero posted:

Oh yes, I'm well aware. There's a reason entire companies are dedicated to this stuff, but there is some infrastructure in place I'm hoping to springboard from. I haven't looked into the structure of these systems or if they offer any APIs, but that's a ways off for now.

First, though, I'm building several web sites to develop a relationship and get them comfortable. Once they know me better and I know the business better we're figuring out a more permanent role. They have an online ordering system but it's supported by the POS vendor - and I know what a loving nightmare those companies can be. On the other hand, I am perpetually aghast at how bad restaurants are at web sites and online presence, so I'm hoping I can come up with some more thought out solutions and modern, clean web design.

Thanks for the great tips, logical fallacy, and everyone else. I've noticed a few odd things on social media, but I'm going to just guide them from now on instead of going crazy about what's out there.

Edit: Jesus. I just went to Alinea's site, which is a famous high end restaurant y'all probably know, and it has a very minimalist design. Until you get to the gallery section which has classic scroll bars, including a vertical one because the containing div is a few pixels too small! I am going to crush this industry, tech-wise.

tips :

a. define a very specific scope for these projects, estimated hours, and get a letter of engagement on the projects before spending a minute more of your time. this is very standard for the industry, and very important for your sanity 2-4 months from now. state clauses, any relevant requirements (IE, I need content for a menu before I can post a menu and complete the project) and what happens if you go over your estimated hours. google 'IT letter of engagement'.

b. quote them $7500-10000 per website, and give the projects to me. I'll handle the letter of engagement, do all the work, and personally engage with the client - you keep 25% and do nothing, everyone wins.

;)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Trying to explain to banquet staff what things are and aren't gluten free is such a pain. A banquet captain asked if our chips are gluten free. I tell her no, they are not because they are cooked in a fryer with items that contain gluten. She then freaks out because she already told someone that they are and that person was already eating them.

I tell these idiot servers and banquet staff that if someone is actually deathly allergic to anything, they will give you the little 'I Will Die If:' card. And they still freak out when I tell them nothing is actually gluten free in this kitchen, they're just 99% gluten free.

next time someone asks you if something is gluten free, look them deep in the eye and go

"gluten free? do... you even.... know.... what... freedom... is.........."

and then get hegelian on their rear end or something hoorah

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
PCI compliance is a bitch, but your systems really shouldn't be storing credit card information at all, so poo poo like a $600 firewall seems silly. Data just needs to be encrypted end to end and you're good to go. Or if end to end encryption isn't good enough for the POS company, find a different POS/merchant processor that will not give a gently caress.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

What do you do now that's easier and how much do you make? I'm serious.

Because, to quote one of my role models, "I want to go to there."

there are a billion office jobs out there, with a baseline requirement of 'you know how to use microsoft word and excel, and can be there 9-5 and answer a phone'. I helped hire this girl recently for a client of mine, and our basic requirement were that she be smart, on top of things, personable, and know how to google poo poo and figure things out for herself. she does some data entry now (ie, take a company name, type it in to google, copy and paste address information into a spreadsheet), answer some phone calls, check e-mail boxes, set up contracts with caterers and event spaces (the other end of what you do now), and we're paying her $18/hr.

if you really wanna switch careers, just do it girl!

it's pretty boring though :/

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wroughtirony posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping to land a job doing officey stuff someplace that does something that I actually care about and might have a future doing. The problem is a lot of the jobs like the one you described also inexplicably require a bachelors degree and three years office experience, but I've been told by quite a few people to ignore that and apply anyway if it's something I'm otherwise qualified for. I'm also looking for desk jobs with companies like Sysco where my experience is actually relevant.

this sounds like an excuse

you're never going to find an office job doing something you actually care about and might build into a future. at least, not coming from no bachelors degree and no three years experience working in an office.

hell you probably wouldn't find an office job doing something you actually care about with 5-10 years experience and a postgrad degree. office jobs suck, even if you're working for that local organic charity non-profit that totally promotes the future of sustainable eating and donates to local schools or whatever.

the point is (at least at this point), you should just apply to everything you possibly can, and start making more money - if you want to exit culinary world, I mean. don't say reasons why you can't or shouldn't do whatever, just apply. and don't apply half-heartedly, expecting you'll be turned down.

anything that pays you above what you make now and gains you some relevant experience in office world (counted towards that 3 year minimum you mentioned) is solid gold.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
speaking of sending stuff back/being disgruntled in restaurants

and I don't mean to bring up tipping chat, but

is there an acceptable way to let a waiter/waitress know they've done a horribly lovely job?

I tip 20% across the board, even with mediocre service - and closer to 30% if I think someone has really gone above and beyond. but, I feel like I really don't know how to leave a 'poor' tip - like if I just leave 15%, I feel like that might be in the realm of what an average patron would leave - so it might not get the message across. I feel like a huge dick leaving 10% or below, so that leaves me sort of in the 12% range for 'sending a message'? but I'm not really sure that's even effective. I mean, I've never even worked front of house, I don't know how much attention waiters even pay to individual table's tips. I could just say something, but I'm actually a really nice and non-confrontational guy in real life, and hate doing that.

dunno. thoughts?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Shooting Blanks posted:

Given your history, somehow I'm not surprised.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Of course comfy café job is too good to be true. First paycheck bounced. Time to start searching again. Awesome.

what does that even mean? the owners are knowingly stiffing you? do you go in and say like 'hey, my check bounced?'? is the place hopelessly underwater or something? Or are you saying you just aren't gonna show up and take the loss?

please go in :(

you have knives, afterall :)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

So, in Thrilling Tales Of Culinary School Graduates :

I came in last night to 'Hey Commie, make cranberry filling.' on the whiteboard. No big deal, I make most of our fruit fillings anyway for breakfast pastries, it's almost theraputic. Crack the fridge, and pull out the container of cranberries, and notice something's off.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've never seen a 1" wide cranberry with a crater from being pitted. Same wonderful girl decided that 'welp, it's red, it's obviously cranberries!' and somehow missed out on the giant bloody label on my 10lb box of frozen cherries.

Not exactly monumental, but how do you make -that- mistake? We didn't even have any cranberries in the store. I ended up running to HyVee at 3am to pick some up.

I'm getting too old for this poo poo. Luckily, I finally managed to take a long weekend. Only took six months!

why didn't you just make cherry filling? is it like a contract requirement for whoever you're cooking for?

honestly I would have just done that poo poo with a grin : "here's your cranberry filling! =) =)"

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
hey, how do you guys usually get your industry discounts / how much are they? A few restaurants in town have staff I've talked to enough to give me discounts, usually 10-15% - but I'd feel silly ever asking for a discount. (mostly because I'm not really in the industry)

got me curious on how this works for full fledged folks. do you drop it to your server, or do you just get out enough that people know?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

Please note, as someone who managed kitchens, I fired the gently caress out of idiots who pulled this sort of poo poo.

Score and/or get hosed up on your own time. Yes, I am the killer of fun, but if you can't do your job without being hosed up I don't have time for your dumb rear end. I didn't use to be this bitter, but after the number of idiots I had who'd try to smoke up in the employee bathrooms mid-shift...

I think dishpit is the one position I really would give an exception for. I mean christ. A. are you there washing dishes when you're supposed to be? Yes? ok : B. are the dishes coming out of your position acceptably clean? Yes? ok C: do whatever the gently caress you want I don't care. :)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux posted:

I think dishpit is the one position I really would give an exception for. I mean christ. A. are you there washing dishes when you're supposed to be? Yes? ok : B. are the dishes coming out of your position acceptably clean? Yes? ok C: do whatever the gently caress you want I don't care. :)

so long as that is not mouthing off to more senior staff or participating in dramabombs, that is.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Turkeybone posted:

Eh.. I haven't made too many friends here yet, and my friends and people I care about are all in Boston or new Hampshire. Those places are a little more my pace.

I love my job though...though I know I could do a similar job for Sam Adams in Boston, or work for a winery or other bev company in MA or NH. Not to get all live journal but there was a failed thing in the past few months that made the transition extra cruddy.

I have lived in enough cool, big name, 'exciting city' places in the world in my short time to have learned that nowhere in the world is worthwhile or inherently awesome without friends. you gotta get out and meet people man. and not just people, people you really like and enjoy spending time with.

you can be in new york, or paris, or berlin, or barcelona, or wherever - and the city is always going to seem really boring and unwelcoming if you don't have people to share it with.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
thread has been a little dead of late!

what's the best mandoline you've ever used? mine is going out, and I want my next one to be on some next level poo poo

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Murkyhumor posted:

Submitting my first ever special, nervous as hell about it. I have to make it, then the entire staff will stand around and critique it(assuming chef approves it in the first place).

if they say it sucks, fix what's wrong and resubmit! failure isn't embarrassing, it's the only way to learn.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Little Blue Couch posted:

Awesome y'all, thank you. Do you mind if I ask some dishes any of you chose for this kind of interview and why? It would help me feel a little less at-sea.

something dead simple, but that shows some technique. really depends on what they have in the pantry and what you're comfortable cooking. just shooting off my hip but first thing that comes to my mind is - simple green salad with interesting components? (celery, segmented citrus, roasted garlic/nut dressing?) - and a pan roasted fish (crispy skin to show you can do it without loving up), and maybe cauliflower as a side - take a head and roast half of it and puree the other half, serve it together? that's something I feel confident I could throw together in 30-45 minutes and would be tasty and not have too many prep elements.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 16, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Black August posted:

EDIT: Actually, I rescind that statement. What can go eat a toilet of turds at a taco stand is huge parties that eat up 90% of your tables for half of your shift, reducing your sales to nothing can making the kitchen glare at you when you place in the absurdly specific orders. Then you get tipped 10% because they paid half on card, half on cash, and only tipped on the card amount.

why does a taco stand have servers?

most taco restaurants I know of don't even have servers. jeez.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Splizwarf posted:

Worth noting that everything that ever needs to be done regularly is a 'recipe' and this same practice helped me a lot when I took over a procedure-intense desk job from the a) only guy in the company who knew anything at all about that particular job, who was b) leaving forever in 4 days.

every kitchen job I've ever walked in to, I've walked in to with a moleskin and started furiously writing notes. 100% of the time, I've gotten surprised looks and like 'oh, this guy is gonna really work out' compliments. I just do it as a matter of course for any work environment I walk in to, but apparently its really abnormal in kitchens. I'd definitely highly recommend this strategy - even if you're just scribbling pictures of butts, whoever is interviewing you will apparently be impressed.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Naelyan posted:

Does anyone else have a huge issue when they go out to eat, that you can't justify paying for something if you know it's the "cheap dish"? I've written and made so many menus at this point that I basically just see food cost %'s beside each dish on a place's menu when I'm out to eat and if something looks like it's the 20% dish, I can never make myself order it even if it sounds good.

I'm not even a career cook and I suffer from this hardcore. I don't order anything if it sounds like something I could make reasonably well myself in my sleep - just on the principle of the thing. I don't wanna pay 30 bucks for a steak, for example, or some roast chicken, or eggplant parmesan or a caprese salad or whatever. it's gotta be something interesting enough or challenging enough where I feel ok parting ways with money.

I'll usually veer towards the wild game / seafood dishes, or things with lots of components - they usually sound much more interesting, and I'm sure they're tighter on margins - so I feel a little better about spending tons of money.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

baquerd posted:

When hiring two live-in chefs for 5 direct clients and 5 non-cooking staff, is it reasonable to offer roughly $80k in salary, plus free private room and all meals (provided any meals are self-cooked), per year in NYC? The idea is that one of the two chefs are on-call at any given time, 24/7, without holidays. Is this something the chefs would be able to work out among themselves, or would they need to be scheduled? Is there an usual/accepted way to trial chefs in that sort of an environment without committing to the paperwork of a full hire (that is, 1099 style?)

I hope that's 80k per chef... but still a bit ridiculous for 24/7 on call without holidays. If they're really ultra high net worth, either up the pay or be reasonable in the lead time (IE 12-24 hours notice with vacation time able to be scheduled or something)

that said, I'm sure if you were paying someone 80k, you could find someone willing to do it - just probably not someone with much self respect.

edit : anecdotal - I deal with a lot of rich people - not UHNW, but solidly multi-millionaires in Atlanta. what they do for their 'help', is just actually pay the people they want to do work for them - so that they in turn can have nice lives and afford nice things. There's one guy in particular I'm thinking of - really nice 50 year old guy - who is essentially 'split' between 4 or 5 households. He does everything from gardening to getting a bunch of his friends together to help cater parties, to helping move house, to odd tasks, whatever - and I think each household pays him around $25-50k a year. I'm friends with the dude since we both are doing a lot of work for these rich folks, and he's self admittedly like 'straight out the ghetto' - yet he drives a car about 10x nicer than mine, has a giant mansion down south of town, etc. He's got it figured out man. I just mention this because if this is acceptable for a non-UHNW household, if you actually got money, just pay people!

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 17, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I have this urge to refill my glass to stay awake

this is a failsafe sign that you are doing the weekend right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Uncle Lizard posted:

I've been in the industry almost 20 years. I have seen a change in that time to a calmer more respectful atmosphere. On the flip side I have to work with weaker, less competent, and inept people in trade. Getting treated like poo poo, getting paid like poo poo, working with poo poo people during lovely hours is the recipe for this guy getting out of this industry before I have to renew my health card. When I started in 1995 a person could support a family in this industry making $13 an hour. Now I get paid the same after graduating from culinary school. One job wanted me to work 55 hours a week for $1600 a month salary. Close, double, double, double, open with different split days off every week. I'm done. I could mow a lawn for more money and I think I might.

lol, 7.27 dollars an hour? is it somehow legal to pay below minimum wage if you salary someone?

I am going to make a horrible restaurant owner. some neighborhood kid came to weed our garden (because I'm so loving busy lately I can't even think), and floated $10/hr as his asking rate. he worked just 2.5 hours in the blazing sun and got our entire garden/yard done. I felt really bad, so I rounded up to $40. :(

go mow a lawn dude

• Locked thread