Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vorenus posted:

I may have posted this before, but in case I didn't: I have a coworker who at the age of 30 did not know that when you spill three pounds of melted butter on a stove you do not follow it up with a gallon of water. This is a thing that was a surprise to a fully grown adult.

:gonk:

I'm struggling to think of why a gallon of water on a stove would be called for in any circumstance.

but out of curiosity, what do you do? I mean there's nothing really much better than throwing some towels on the poo poo and then follow up with some solvents, right?

(and then the water. the gallon of water.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Black August posted:

OP up walked out on us and his $80,000 job to get poo poo stupid drunk at another store in the chain before he was arrested and had restraining orders filed, and basically just went full-on fuckin' natters. That's the third one this year.

I really need a new job.

by OP I hope you mean turkeybone

I knew he was hardcore like that :golfclap:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Alobar posted:

I swear the head chef asked how done hardboiled eggs have to be for devilled eggs.

Well Alobar... so tell us - how done do hardboiled eggs have to be for deviled eggs? :allears:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I didn't get very good answers in the main thread, and let's face it, I trust you guys more. "destination" restaurants in san francisco / 2-3 hr drive radius? should I just go to yountville?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Need more info on what you're looking for/willing to spend/how long you have to make a Res. PM me if you don't want it all up in the thread.

no budget limit, I have never been to california and am willing to spend whatever it takes to make wine country live up to the expectations I have for it. I've been putting off this trip for 4-5 years because I wanted to make sure I'd have money to blow on it.

reservations would be pretty soon, which is my major hurdle. Aug 17-22nd basically.

in to super interesting food. experimental fermentations, foraged poo poo, etc. Also super in to well executed neo-classical french food. demi-glaces, truffles, stinky cheese, correctly cooked fish in delicate sauces. asian influences a plus. also love more interactive elements. my b-day meal at minibar last year was one of my top three favorite dining experiences ever probably. the guy cooking your food was the one handing it to you, and you could just ask whatever questions you wanted about the technique, etc. and you were dining with 6-7 other random strangers.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 28, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Look Under The Rock posted:

I didn't realize this was the "have your deepest regrets thrown in your face" thread, I just wanted to talk about scones and business models. My bad I guess.

I think you were looking for a different forum :unsmith:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Alobar posted:

So cats stand around not being paid waiting to work on something to be paid for? No, no, no, no, no, no, no. You get paid for your time. If your "boss" can't "find" work for you while you're there, you shouldn't be scheduled in the first place. If you're there and hanging around not being paid while you're at work that's called "illegal as gently caress". gently caress. People wonder why America's so hosed and then they don't stick it to the man (i.e. your boss) as they should. I'm walking out real soon and it's gonna be cute to see them scramble (I won't see that poo poo thought because I'll be the gently caress outta there). 9 an hour. 9 an hour my fat cock.

it's pretty big to be quite honest

P.S. "fake hours"?...gently caress.....

P.P.S. I'm only at my current job because they pay me on time. Never a bounced check. That's how I know they're sitting comfy. I'm paying into their kids' college funds more than I'm paying into my own--and that is a verifiable fact. Fact. gently caress. I'm seething with hatred.

P.P.P.S. After what I've done and what I know what people in the food industry have gone through, I feel we should organize a mass strike. Literally everyone walk the gently caress out of their foodservice job. People who have never gone hungry will go hungry but we won't because, gently caress, we know how to cook beans and rice. Can we pick a date and get this poo poo rolling? After all of the complaining, all of the hard work, all of the literal bleeding, all of the hurt egos, can we just all get together and stick it to the proverbial man? I'll do it even if we don't get enough people on board. I'll be the god drat stoner from half baked going "who's coming with me, man? who's coming with me?"

if you aren't happy where you are, start looking for another job. don't hate on the employer, don't hate on other people in the industry - change in your life starts and ends with you. if you're worth more, convince folks you are worth more. don't settle for $9/hr if it doesn't make you happy. it's the only way things will change. until then, don't expect anyone else to have the motivation to pay you more than you're comfortable settling with.

edit : people ask me to do work for them all the time for a 'discounted' (1/2) my normal hourly rate. I politely decline. and then explain why I'm declining - because they can pay some other idiot to do a lovely job, or they can pay me more per hour, I'll get the job done properly, and in less time, and they'll end up saving money in the long run. everyone wins. If they don't see the value in that, I don't want to work with or for them.

I know kitchen work is a little different from IT work, but in the end, it's a business proposition. any business person worth their weight in salt will recognize that doing something properly is worth a few extra bucks an hour. if they don't, they're probably not very good at business, and you probably don't want to be working for them anyways. again, unless you're comfortable settling for the poo poo wage they're offering you. which is understandable, if finding work is difficult.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 14, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

IT and food are very different propositions. Holding out for more money is not a thing. Because you can and will be replaced by someone who will work cheaper for the six months or so until their addictions ruin their relationship with the business and they hop to the next. Holding out for better wages only works if there isn't a cheaper 'good enough' alternative and an industry-wide interest in silent collusion to keep wages down.

some other folks commented sort of in the same vein I'll comment in : of course holding out for more money is a thing, even if we're talking $8/hr vs $9/hr. If you're honestly just a lovely weed-smoking no-future-in-mind don't-give-a-gently caress expendable dishwasher or line cook or something - ok, maybe not. but if you're provably bringing value to the company - IE, showing up on time when others aren't, going above and beyond, cooking awesome food, being accommodating with your employer's shitshow, whatever the case may be - these are all assets for the restaurant that you have to leverage. Sure you can be replaced, but again, it's your job as someone who wants to advance their career and paygrade to convince management that you're doing a super awesome job, and that they can't afford NOT to give you a raise - because if they decline, the special sauce behind their restaurant is willing to walk out the door.

and again, some business folk might not recognize this - but you don't want to be working for them if they don't anyways, so no harm done.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
if you are in a service industry job and not at least 'moderately happy' with your position, you either a. need to find a new job, b. need to care less, c. need to ask for more money, or d. need to shut up.

preferentially a. b. or c. - d. is just dumb, why would you do that. I guess the only reason would be if a. b. and c. are not options. which they are always options.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
he says, stressed out of his loving mind, working 14 hour days for the last month, posting on a forum at 5am during his two hours of down time

shoot me now

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I forgot how odd people are sometimes. So I had a great time tonight.

Bartender comes into the kitchen with a question

Her: can this guy get Monterrey jack on his cheeseburger?
Me: well yeah the cheeseburger we serve on the menu has an aged Monterrey jack on it. It's right there on the menu.
Her: oh well he didn't look at the menu he just wanted to make sure he didn't get plain old cheddar or something.
Me: well no he is fine the cheeseburger comes with Monterrey jack.
Her: ok!

Ticket prints out for bacon cheeseburger a few minutes later. No regular cheeseburger comes in.
I find that odd and walk out to the bar.

Me: no cheeseburger rang up, did he not want it?
Her: I put it in a minute ago.
Me: the bacon cheeseburger?
Her: yeah that.
Me: does he know he bacon cheeseburger comes wih a special cheese sauce we make to pair with the in house bacon? Because he might want to try it instead of Monterrey jack if he was just worried about cheddar.
Her: I don't know I haven't read the menu either.
Me: okay I will ask him.

I went to the customer and explained I would be happy to make a burger with Monterrey jack for him but if he would like I recommend he try the burger with the cheese sauce we intend for it, at which point he said "no if I can't get jack I just don't want it. Just cancel the burger."

So I just cancelled the order. I didn't really have time to explain it to a guy who just didn't seem to get it.

I'm with you most of the time, but the waiter just said he wanted monterey jack. ?? why ask about cheese sauce

but anyways sounds like a communication fail all around :<

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Wrought irony you have crazy patience and customer skills. I'm easing my way back into this whole food thing since I left to be in IT for a decade. I will have to read what you said again and try to take action on it in he future. It is good advice. Thank you.

Wrought was spot on. I'm a little surprised since you came from an IT background (as I do) that this isn't second nature to you. I realize that sounds a little trolly, and I don't mean to be - but people just want what they want / want poo poo to work.

Like a comparable situation - the other week I had a woman whose USB port had ostensibly failed on her workstation. She called me up and was like 'hey, I can't plug anything in in one of my USB slots, I'd really like to be able to plug my stuff in.'

I was like 'well, this could be a hardware failure with your machine - we could try to fix that which would be best in the long run, or we could just order you a USB hub to bypass the problem'.

She said "ok, I'd like to just buy a usb hub that sounds great I would be very happy with that'.

If I had turned around and tried to explain the merits of fixing her USB port, or turned around and confused her with questions like 'ok do you want a 4 or 8 port usb hub?? and usb3 or usb 2? I recommend usb3 but it is more expensive maybe you prefer usb2!!" it would have just gotten very silly very fast. I just ordered her what she wanted, set it up, everything worked, happy customer. who cares if it isn't the best option or what you would ideally deliver to them or whatever.

idk, just communicate with your customer, figure out what they want (ala wrought's post), and deliver. no need to overthink things.

edit : I should also take my own advice, because I overthink things all the time.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Splizwarf posted:

You're overthinking it.

gently caress

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Simoom posted:

Nobody should be working in a kitchen. I am in hell. The weight of my sins are too great. The heat of the kitchen cannot purge them all.

Help me.

find gin -> find ice -> pour gin on ice -> drink -> repeat

squeeze of lime if you're feeling fancy, but remember to follow it up with tums and water before you go to sleep. (if you plan on waking up, I mean) {probably better not to, in your situation}

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Morbid Fiesta posted:

My Serve Safe Certificate expires next month, and I'm currently retaking it. Holy gently caress is this tedious. I am however loving excited about hand washing. Hell yeah :chef:

does this require any sort of knowledge beyond having worked in a kitchen and basic common sense? I keep on thinking about taking it on a whim to cheekily hang a certificate in my office (I'm not in the industry any more, do IT work, but man clients need their own set of goddamn serv-safe certificate I swear) - anyways, don't wanna waste time starting to do it and then fail or something dumb.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Simoom posted:

How long can bacon be left at room temperature and still be served? I ask because my chef says indefinitely, yet I ate some that was left out in the back of our kitchen for three days and now I can't stop making GBS threads mucus and slime. It really makes the ten hour shifts more fun.

lolll

oh man. so I've been working with this kid recently, long story not worth telling. I have to drive out with him to a work site like 30 mins away in the blazing 100 degree atlanta sun. he had picked up some supermarket sushi for lunch, and because we were in a time crunch, was eating it in my goddamn car.

we're on site for like 3 hours in the middle of the afternoon - I didn't realize it but he had left his stupid loving kroger sushi in my car. we get back in, the whole thing smells like loving death. I brush it off because he's a new hire and I'm trying to be nice to the kid, we roll down the windows, whatever. We get 5 minutes down the road and he opens up his loving sushi container and starts chomping away at this 4 hour old 120 degree supermarket sushi.

I definitely threw up in my mouth a little but was still trying to be polite and professional, and not just scream bloody murder at the kid. I launch into a long discussion of how bacteria can multiply exponentially on food at certain temperature ranges, and how I won't even eat raw fish if it's been sitting out at room temperature for X amount of time and blah blah and keep getting more and more graphic about the details until he just stops eating and has clearly gotten the message that What He Is Doing Is Very Wrong.

kid didn't show up to work for 2 days afterwards lol he was so goddamn sick. ughhhhhhhh I am getting nauseous just thinking about it all again :( how can someone be so loving stupid

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
SPEAKING OF SERV-SAFE

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Shooting Blanks posted:

You're kind of an rear end in a top hat for not making him throw that out and stopping to pick up more food.

I'm kind of not an rear end in a top hat for giving the kid a job and loaning him money for a downpayment on a place to live and regularly buying him meals and all sorts of other poo poo - like I said, long story, not worth going into in a GWS thread. but I can assure you there's no shortage of good will on my end.

some situations require some degree of professional tact - I promise he had already started eating this poo poo before I noticed and it would have been much more insulting if I just kneejerk started yelling at him rather than gently trying to explain why what he was doing was stupid as poo poo and making sure he never ever did it again.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Naelyan posted:

I don't understand. People can sleep without alcohol in their system?

IM CALLING BULLSHIT

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Simoom posted:

Ugh, working a weekend with the old chef, who was super loving intense and definitely insane and supremely, supremely good, is the most alive I have felt in over a month, and he said something to the effect of how I could have been a great chef if I had the courage to commit to things, and man, it felt so good to have serve food to a full house in the first time in a month, and to be in a kitchen with a guy whose skills are the most intense ever and it's insane how your perspective can change in thirty god damned days. I think I'm probably too neurotic to work in this industry but god watching him work makes me wish I wasn't almost.

anyways there's the weekly babbling shitpost from me for this thread.

just curious, what do you mean when you say this guy's skills are 'the most intense ever', and what has been so earthshattering to your perspective?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

lurker1981 posted:

Yeah, gently caress those people who want to succeed.

gently caress them.

I mean, seriously, instead of rewarding people for doing a good job, we should punish them.

I totally understand you, bro. I've got a really small penis, too, and I do whatever I can to make things difficult for anyone that is capable of doing things better than me. I take pleasure in making things unpleasant for anyone that is more intelligent than me.

My goal is not to have a business that works well because I hire the best and the brightest. My goal is to to destroy the best and the brightest because I have a small penis.

Hey, would you mind cooking me up another batch of roofies? I can't seem to convince any girls or boys to go out on a date with me.

I'm not a loser. I have a college degree. I paid people to give me the answers to tests, and write my papers for me. That means I am better than you. Because my parents earned a lot of money, and you simply exist for my amusement. And my parents paid for everything, and gave me an allowance, even when I was in college.

You don't seriously think I earned what I have, do you?

edit: On a more serious note, please don't be an rear end in a top hat to folks that have the potential to be really great. There is the possibility that one day they could be the one person that might save your life. Or not, if you pissed him or her off too much. There are some folks that actually don't like to be sexually harassed, believe it or not.

lol look at how stupid you are

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
please young people do not go to culinary school

that is the Stupidest Thing

go to real college and work in a restaurant. or don't go to real college and work in a restaurant. or go to a real college and don't work in a restaurant. or don't go to a real college and don't work in a restaurant.

all of these are probably better.

the value of culinary school was firmly impressed upon me when I applied for my first kitchen job. it was at a fancy vietnamese fusion restaurant, I was very excited and eager to try out cooking. I was 17 or 18 maybe. the chef asked me if I had a culinary degree. I said no, I don't have any sort of degree. he asked if I could break down a chicken. I said yes of course. he asked if I was good with fileting whole fish. I said I don't really have much experience with whole fish. he asked if I had knives, I was like yeah?

an interview later and I was garde manger, with literally 0 professional kitchen experience under my belt. some prep cooks were le cordon bleu students. they got fired, I kept my job. v :) v

the restaurant tanked after 6 months, so I'm not really bragging. the chef probably had no business taking a chance on a dumb kid like me. but the fact that he did over all these loving idiot culinary school twerps has really stuck with me over the years. thanks chef, you got me into the industry and probably changed my life more than a lot of other people who should have had much more of an influence on me <3

that said now I do IT work and make 99999999999 more money than I ever would have cooking food. plan is to one day own a restaurant, using all my extra money. I think it's a much more rational approach to the itch to work in the industry. $8-10/hr is just rough.

my girl has had similar life experiences. she went to school for theater and wanted to be a writer. years of school and a couple semi-worthless degrees later, she was making not-very-much teaching english 102 at some local colleges. she had stopped writing for pleasure - the grind completely chewed her out. she went back to school to get a law degree, and now has a nice job doing challenging writing things where she feels valued making a very not-poo poo wage. she writes fiction in her (very non-existent) spare time.

dunno, just my two cents. finding a balance between doing what you want to do, and not getting completely shat on by capitalism is a very hard thing. but again, I'd encourage a lot of reflection on the topic before even thinking twice about enrolling in a culinary program.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 9, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Hahhahahahah mindphlux this is amazing, you just described my career arc word for word. Restaurants as a kid, IT until I made 6 figures, saved up money and opened a restaurant and god drat do I love it from this position.

Also as a Gin Monk I do have a lot of issues. I actually love cleaning a flat top. It's like closing zen. Take 10-15 minutes with a grill brick and stupid hot oil scrubbing until it's perfect. It's my nightly end of the work day ritual that just cements that it's time to go home. I love it.

how old are you now out of curiosity? I've just hit my business stride in IT, debating on how long to ride the gravy train before I switch gears. I think it will probably just become abundantly clear at some point...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

It's REALLY REALLY important and beneficial to you to know what your coworkers are making... people died for the rights of American workers to be able to discuss and organize better and more fair conditions.

Here's a good article on it: http://www.theatlantic.com/business...ingle_page=true

I have to say I completely and utterly disagree with this. it's really not at all important to know what other people are making in the workplace, it only breeds jealousy, resentment, contempt for the business, and strife between the stakeholders in a business and the employees.

there's just too much that an individual employee may or may not know about the overall workings of a business to respond rationally to global information about the monetary workings of a business. I mean some dude making $10/hr can look at a nightly take of $15k and be like 'gently caress, im not paid nearly enough for this poo poo', and not know about all the loans, licenses, inventory management, shareholder cuts, maintenance budget, blah blah blah that an operation has to deal with.

likewise, when I first started out in my first non cooking job, I made a salary of $38k/yr. which I thought was very low for my skillset. My boss made like $70k, and was open about this. I resented her a lot, because she basically shovelled off running the entirety of the business on my shoulders within the first couple years. I kept on being like 'gently caress this, I do all the hard work, she makes all the money, she'd be nowhere without me', blah blah blah, stupid typical 15 year old poo poo like alobar was posting.

the reason why I was wrong, and the reason why alobar was wrong for making an ultimatium, is that it really isn't any of your loving business what anyone else in the world makes. you can talk about unions and fair working conditions all you goddamn want, but practically no job in existence today is fair. there's no such thing as fair. giant corporations make billions of dollars every day and chew us all up and spit us all out like so many marketing segments, and we aren't whining and gnashing our teeth about that.

we're all being hosed, just accept it's part of capitalism. convincing yourself you can find a 'fair' wage by knowing the salaries of your peers is just deluded. if anything, knowing the salaries of your peers is more harmful than helpful - if you're convinced you're just worth what your peers are, you bracket yourself into whatever segment you're in. bring value to a company, and make the case for why you're worth what you think you're worth. If you land a promotion, and joe blow working dishpit at $8 an hour asks you how much you're making now that you got whatever promotion, it ain't any of his business. your newfound position doesn't really have anything to do with him or the choices he's made in working for the restaurant, or have any bearing on his hourly rate.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Capitalism sure has you by the balls, doesn't it? There's a reason you can look up any government employee's salary, we should be no different. Knowing how much your coworkers get paid gives you an idea of just how much your employer is shafting you.

your employer, no matter who you're employed by, is always, by definition "shafting you". that's how capitalism works. if a business can't make money off the work of its employees, it's a failed enterprise - and you should probably be ok with this if you are ok with taking a paycheck from a company. why you'd want to dwell on how badly you're getting hosed is beyond me - on the one hand it might be helpful sure to even the playing field between you and rear end in a top hat mcslackoff who is making $2/hr more than you - but like CommonShore says, people are childish idiots who take poo poo personally, don't have all the facts, ignore context, feel entitled, whatever. makes for a toxic environment - people are weird as poo poo about money.

also, business is not the same as government, and it shouldn't be. I don't even know how to respond to that one. listen, I'm all for ending corporate personhood, raging against the man, destroying the 0.00001% - but saying private companies and government should be held to the same standard of transparency is just :what:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Jewigi posted:

Any ideas what specific spices gives the Taco Bell ground beef the pzazz? I have the cumin and paprika and everything else but I think I'm missing something key. Allspice or cloves maybe?

the tears of dying calves

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You know it never occurred to me that people would wander off with the stuff you served them food on. I get people stealing the mini fryer baskets, metal portion cups, loving metal cone stands, whatever they can. It's amazing. I guess I just don't steal poo poo so it always just makes me blink when someone wanders off with your poo poo like they don't give a gently caress.

I got served a duck breast at a gastropub with a loving authentic forge de laguiole mother of pearl inlaid steak knife. I seriously considered walking off with it, but of course didn't - because mad props to a gastropub doing that poo poo. (a single steak knife is probably $100-175 retail)

still though, I agree

one of my favorite craft beer bars in town has printed in giant lettering 'PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OUR MENUS, WE WILL GIVE YOU A COPY TO TAKE WITH YOU IF YOU ASK' because all their menus are hand mounted with leather straps on some custom made wooden boards and poo poo. I guess people thought they were trophies, or..... ??? who knows.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Cavenagh posted:

I've been invited to do a day in the kitchen of a Michelin star restaurant in Chicago.

How can I not appear to be a total fuckwit? Is this possible at all?

if you have to ask, then nope, not really

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I'm off today, but I'd rather be at work because I'm kinda bored. loving stockholm syndrome hurts so good/

jack off

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

is it really, AVeryLargeRadish?

is it really?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Sadly where I live, IT Jobs are sorta this lovely no matter the place unless you know programming and I am terrible at that.

Edit: I will look into bakeries around here, I plan on moving for the sake of my fiancee soon but yeah.

for someone "sorry they're coming into the thread sort of ignorant" you sure know a whole gently caress of a lot

take the advice you're given

(I do IT now)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
run some lamb rack specials

deepfry in pinenut oil for a week

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

goodness posted:

I wish I had the power

the only way you can deal with food allergies like that is to take them ultra seriously. IE, I think we fry gluten in our deep frier, so you can't have anything that is fried for liability reasons, and also any prep item that could have possibly been in the vicinity of gluten is immediately ruled out.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Willie Tomg posted:

I'm gonna collate all my family meal/leftover surprise munchies, wraps, apps and plates and use them to open a pan-ethnic food truck called The Jewish Mother where all the names of the food are incredibly cryptic and never described beyond "You'll like it, its great!" unless its vegetarian in which case "ITS GOOD FOR YOU, EAT IT!"

Employees will be instructed to meet all orders below ten dollars with a minimum twenty seconds heckling along the lines of "Look at you, you're skin and bones! I worry! How are you going to meet a nice girl/boy and settle down without a good meal in you? Here's a ramekin of broth, you give it a smell, you're gonna get hungry, I've seen this, I know this."

bonus points if the "employees" are just an app on an ipad embedded in the table that literally wont let you complete your order and will repeat said random soundbytes again and again until the order is over $10.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Crazy Larry posted:

I just had to fire a longtime friend, and probably the best cook I've ever worked with, because he was drinking on the job last night.

how is that even a fireable offense for a cook

much less 'the best cook you've ever worked with, who is also a long time friend'?

unless he was loving hammered or doing some stupid poo poo, idk crazy larry, ijdk

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

bowmore posted:

He must has been hammered so

yep, must has bowmore, must has

(you're fired.)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Crazy Larry posted:

Well, he passed out in the dining room, so yeah, I'm going to go with him being completely wasted.

lol that's pretty bad

please tell me this was during service

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Secret Spoon posted:

I didnt get told until after I was hired at the current restaurant I work at that I would get fired if I ever worked at another high end establishment. Im thinking about risking it because my moms meds are super expensive and I want for my father to be able to retire sometime this decade.

you should probably risk it. don't let anyone tell you what to do with your loving life, ever. not for $10-20/hr, anyways. (unless what you want to do is not work, in which case I guess yeah, you gotta listen to whoever is willing to pay you money)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
that is hosed up. were they trying for some entrapment poo poo? or just a silly couple of people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

fizzymercy posted:

I would have appreciated if he'd done either of those things. Instead he showed up two hours late for work smelling like day old lamb stock. I don't know what happened after that, but he went home mad. I get to do his work on top of mine now. gently caress that guy.

Edit: He gets two days off to "think about his problems". I sincerely wish that fuckhead nothing but the slowest tire-fire death possible.

holy poo poo, are you even serious.

if knocking over 10 gallons of lamb stock without cleaning it up isn't grounds for immediate firing, certainly showing up late and then pissing off home on top of it would be an insti-fire. and I feel like those standards would be pretty lenient?

• Locked thread