Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

dino. posted:

Seriously. If the current locations haven't got it together, it makes no freaking sense to open even more.

Quoting this for truth. If your current locations aren't profitable after overhead, adding -more overhead- is not going to change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Midniter posted:

This is like trying to save a romantic relationship by having a child. Not gonna end well.

Yup. I mean, isn't the whole -point- of franchising to replicate a profitable concept and methodology as a shortcut around the potential disaster that is opening any restaurant?

Sounds like they seriously need to focus on getting their existing business squared away, unless they have literally unlimited backing funds.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kenning posted:

I don't understand how restaurants are viable businesses, honestly. I would sooner invest in a Broadway show than a restaurant.

On the whole? They aren't in a lot of cases. It's why the industry has absurdly high 2-year failure rates, and why even many of the 'successes' are only succeeding in keeping the doors open and the lights on, not making anything that could be considered a worthwhile profit for investors.

I like to use the bakery I work for as an example. We're very well known locally, provide desserts for many of the fine dining and higher end casual places here in town, and our Chef/owner has cooked with most every chef in town.

At the end of the day, though, we're still barely pulling profit, and that's running with only 4 people to cover 12am-6pm six days a week. The business pays for his bills, so he's content to run it forever, but it's not going to be making anyone but the bank and our suppliers rich.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 23, 2013

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cercies posted:

I have used short term disability insurance for a month from aflac, and it paid out pretty quickly. It depends on your coverage, but I got 90% of my wages, and since I claimed all my tips, that was included as well

How expensive is carrying AFLAC, anyway? That kind of thing would be useful to me, because I can't exactly keep up production with pretty much any limb injured.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bottles and cans posted:

Still can't help but wonder if it's a big mistake, though.

:getout:

$3 an hour is six grand a year. If you can't get medical coverage for yourself for six grand a year, something is horribly wrong. Take it and run like the wind.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Ah, I see the edit now. That's a harder one.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Any chance of getting a more general management degree instead? It might be more useful to have something that's applicable outside the industry for the inevitable day when you just can't face another kitchen.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
I'm jealous, that's what I'd -like- to be doing.

Remember a while back when I said I finally escaped 3rd shift? Not so much. It turned out that it's apparently hard to find someone competent who'll work these hours reliably. Who'd have guessed, right?

A week and a half back in, and I remember -exactly- why I wanted off this shift. I spend all my not-working time punch drunk from the sleep schedule, and half of my working time wishing a bus would hit me so I can get out of coming in for a sixth day this week. :smith:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 4, 2013

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Sucks.

Somehow unsurprised that a chef keeled over with a heart attack in his 50's, though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
That sounds like a hell of a lot more fun than this. I should probably start working on an exit strategy, five years of living just above the poverty line is likely enough, and I really don't want it badly enough to move to someplace bigger on cooking wages.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

After school special time:
Seriously- take care of yourselves physically and mentally. Nobody is going to give you a gold medal for working yourself to death. You just eventually end up broken somehow. No matter how much you love the industry, the industry does not love you. Not even a little.

How do you do that on kitchen wages is always the question.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Skinny King Pimp posted:

You go spend some time in the free mental health ward and then take advantage of all the free drugs you can get because you're poor as poo poo.

I should look into that.

Just got informed that while we're going to close for retail, Chef doesn't want to tell our breakfast clients 'no', so I'm working Black Friday, Christmas Day, and NYE.

Getting to the time of year where I don't see the sun for a couple months, and that really does bad things. Time to buy a case of whiskey and settle in to a nice focused hatred of the holidays while producing festive baked goods.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kimitsu posted:

Hate makes the holiday cheer really come through.

Especially when I was supposed to be on days, so now I get to tell my family that no, I don't actually get to come to any of the holiday events for the third year running!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Wroughtirony posted:

If I get you in GWSSS you're getting a light therapy box and a bottle of whiskey.

I may have to look into light therapy. I've been getting by on making whimsical rum drinks and spending a couple hours a day in the gym.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Vegetable Melange posted:

Remember how much trouble it nearly led to on the service ramp on Halloween? What an awful habit (jj/k smoking owns and is our only break on 10+ hr shifts spent standing). Don't look down on it just because it raises the cost of your insurance premiums.

Can I look down on it because it fucks up your sense of taste and leads to oversalting absolutely everything instead?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Interview with an IT headhunter this morning, for a PC technician job that starts at 50% higher than my current hourly. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
I'm sure there are healthy, happy, well-adjusted cooks somewhere. Ones without substance abuse problems or major psychological troubles.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Every cook is a masochist. Why else would we gladly work 60+ hours a week?

Not for the money, that's for drat sure. :)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

infiniteguest posted:

For the pursuit of craft and tradition? Besides, cooking is fun. It isn't like we're cleaning blood and vomit out of subway tunnels.

You guys are pussies.

No offense, but every time I hear this pulled out, it's usually from someone who's never worked outside the industry. Is that the case for you?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, if I count right there are 6 of us who left the kitchen for office work. That...That says something alright. Of course, my brother took the opposite route and loves it.

I boomeranged a bit. Left the kitchen for computer repair, then came back when the job market fell apart. :p

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Dimloep posted:

And now we do the dance of slow-as-gently caress holiday week. Nine days off. I might go mad.

Trade you. It's Thanksgiving time in the bakery, and I may just learn to sleep in my truck.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Aye-Aye posted:

Cooking is fun. Sit behind a desk and do office bullshit for 3 years. You'll wonder why you left.

Then you'll get your paycheck, or take a day off because your're sick and both get paid and have insurance, and figure it out. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
I put a christmas bow on a new bottle of Jameson and left it on my desk for when I get home today. Two days' breakfast production cooling, proofer entirely full of rolls, wAiting ondough to come up so I can shape loaves next.

Gotta love Thanksgiving.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Why can't my doctor just give me more drugs for my muscle spasms instead of sending me to physical therapy? I don't have time for that, I have to work!

One of these two things is a long term fix. Remember, despite how we all behave, it isn't worth sacrificing your long term health and ability to work in order to cover shifts in the short term.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
AA, if it doesn't suck, you -know- you can walk away if it gets in the way of your main job, and the double schedule isn't going to drive you mad, I don't see any reason not to. But that's just me, and we're all aware that I'm crazy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

Do the opposite. Eat right, drink plenty of water, black out your bedroom the best you can. Use a fan blowing to drown out day time noise.
Sleep when your tired, wake up when you're not.
There's days I sleep 4 hours a day and feel fine there's days I sleep for 8 hours and feel miserable.
I've been doing this shift for going on 3 years now you never really get used to it.

This. I've been on third shift for three years now, and it's murder. Some days I can come home and pass right out, other days I can lie in bed for six hours listening to the radio and not sleep.

The worst part, and the part you have to -really- look out for, is your days off. Your friends and family will never understand your sleep schedule, and will want to do things in normal people hours. Don't do it. All it takes is one day off your schedule, and it'll take a week or more to feel right and be able to climb out of bed and roll right to work again.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

always be closing posted:

drat, lovely to hear that second part. I left the restaurant to drive truck, and after 3 months of day driving, i have to fill in for a guy whos out on workers comp. Waking up @2:30am and driving for 10-12 hours. Ive found that I have to eat about twice as much food to stay awake through the shift. Any tips on what to bring for lunch?

I go through 1-2 of the big airpots of coffee a night. I have to clock on at 12, bake until 4, box and label, then drive delivery from 5-7. I usually end up hitting up a gas station for something to put in my face before starting delivery, because if I don't eat I start falling asleep driving on bad nights.

Then get home and drink until I can sleep, assuming noone feels like waking me up around 5pm because they're off work and want to go do stuff, and don't see why I should have a problem waking up seven hours before I need to be at work. :smith:

Hence why I'm posting right now. New roomie's girlfriend decided to wake me up and see if I wanted to come to dinner. I'd been out for maybe two hours, and it looks like I'm up for the day.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Word, again.

And if I don't get this banquet sous promotion, I will not be a pleasant person. :chef:

Kick its rear end, sea bass. :D

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

dino. posted:

Leaving New York in another two weeks. Leaving the Industry for (god, I hope and pray) for good once that happens. Seriously. gently caress restaurants.

Good luck, dino!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Put my truck in a ditch on the way in Thrusday night. Yay ice storm. Worked through and finished my baking, then went rear end over teakettle in a customer's lot on the ice. Today, I hurt like a bastard, but just clocked off after only 9 hours.

So glad Christmas is Wednesday.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Death holds no fear for me.

Doubles on Christmas Eve, however...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Naelyan posted:

My bakery is closed Christmas Eve. And Christmas. And Boxing Day. I don't have to go back in until 10pm on the 26th to get ready for the 27th. Ahahahahahaah, what sorcery is this.

Jealousy.

We're closing at 2pm Christmas Eve, although I have to deliver some 1700 Christmas cookies tomorrow morning then come back and help out kicking out the rest of our orders for pickup. We're closed Christmas Day, and the coffee places are mostly all closing for it, so it's the one holiday this year I don't have to do breakfast production for. Gotta be in at midnight the 26th to get back to normal schedule, though.

Somehow we have two weddings scheduled for NYE this year. I don't even know how the hell that happened.

Trebuchet King posted:

If a doctor says I've got the flu that's not really something I can just try and work through, is it? I need the money this week'd yield badly enough that I'm half tempted to "lose" the doctor's note, but I'm pretty sure the flu is hella contagious. IANAD, though.

Stay the gently caress home and don't get the rest of your kitchen sick. :argh:

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 23, 2013

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Place we sell desserts to gave me the ur-example of this a while back. One of their cooks went down with what he thought was food poisoning. He took a day off, then went right back to work because they had a 75 person wedding party to cater for. Ended up plating the salads.

While sweating norovirus.

70 guests, the bride and groom, and half the staff down within a week. Several hospitalizations. The restaurant settled out of court to the tune of fat sacks of cash.

Don't gently caress around with contagious diseases.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kenning posted:

We got loving hit tonight. Huge Christmas Eve. No one was expecting that. Probably did like 15k-18k in sales at dinner. I'm so tired.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Merry Christmas!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cercies posted:

Good luck to everyone tonight. May you not go off on a murderous rage over some drunk rear end ruining your night. Especially to those in an open kitchen, where customers can walk up and take your mise.

I'm already off for the day, suckers. Coffee shops can suck on rancid donkey dong, I ain't delivering on new years' day.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
They do look good, although I kinda pity your servers if they have to deliver 'em like that. :D

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Bad day, Fuzzy?

For.reference on slow, I turned the ovens off at 2am today. I hate January business.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Naelyan posted:

My ovens still don't get turned off until 5 or 6am.

I just don't go in until midnight now. :(

I bake midnight to four, clean while stuff cools, then box and deliver until 8. Gonna deep clean something tonight.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Naelyan posted:

My three still ovens are loving spotless. It's hard to clean the convection with stuff in it all night though. :(

My convections are terrible right now. Someone spilled something in them, and I can never get them cool enough to actually clean at night. I ended up getting out the brass brushes and detailing the stovetops, then finding the air compressor and blowing out all the radiators on the freezers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

FrancoFish posted:

When is it time to walk? When your owner bitches and moans about not being able to find a PS4 for his son, after the third time your paycheck bounced this month.

That isn't just time to walk, it's time to make sure the owner can't.

(For legal purposes I am not advocating that you shatter his kneecaps with a six ounce ball peen hammer, no matter how satisfying or justified it would be.)

I am however advocating that you contact your state labor board right loving now, determine if repeatedly bounced paychecks are considered constructive dismissal, and if you can walk and soak his dumb rear end for unemployment for it.

• Locked thread