Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Probably gotta get an MRI on my knee, and if I've got any floating cartilage or damaged tedons/ligaments, surgery is probably another 20k+.

Oh, and I also need to see a neurologist per my lawyer, just in case, because of the concussion. So if there's any actual or lasting damage there, who knows what that could end up costing.

*flash forward to two months from now*

"Hey I know you just left outpatient but on the other hand im very tired and we really need the coverage so can you come in anyway thanks its only 100 entrees and 100 salads this sunday"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

lol nobody communicated this weekend and we now have more reservations than we have tables. gently caress my dead gay life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgjaeHGi9IA

(this video runs through my internal monologue at least four times in a given week)

Republicans posted:

Anyone ever hear of people stealing nitrogen tanks from beer systems? Apparently ours vanished a couple days ago. It wasn't locked as far as I know but it was kept in the building's basement/garage so it wasn't an area the general public would frequent. I'm just wondering why anyone would take it.

IDK about the nitrogen specifically, except for nitro brews like what you were using it for, but pressurized tanks ain't cheap and if you just had one laying around I can think of a few uses for one.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
So, uh, I just had a conversation whose general gist was "oh you got a degree? You're going to be an accountant in 30 days unless you specifically start shouting racial slurs in the next three minutes"

And get this: I did not.

I, um. I... think I'm close to out, my dudes :gbsmith:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I was half a sentence into that post when the dumbfuck midshift bartender rang in the dumbest ticket until such time as he beats his record tomorrow.

And in a weird way I'm glad, because I was wracked with existential vertiginous self doubt about a transition after so long cooking, until that one ticket reminded me why I'd countenance a change in the first place.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Now he'll have to do my expense reports. Gonna start buying tons of poo poo with my personal card, 1 item at a time. :getin:

*lovingly feeds them to the shredder*

Naw, I didn't get that man, you sure you filed it?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
You know it's someone's fetish...

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
loving military grade vegelene cans...

One time a particularly doopy dude working prep left the can over The Hottest Grill In America and we found it out by hearing an explosion and seeing hot shrapnel go every which where on the line.

That guy now manages a restaurant in Florida. Food service.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

iospace posted:

This weekend's shifts:

1400-2200
0800-2200
0800-2200

:suicide:

Well at least you know exactly, to the minute, when you'll be sleeping.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I quit :420: to clean out for a transfer to accounting and a little under two weeks later, as of yesterday, went to the doctor for an alarming grab-bag of symptoms and was diagnosed with acute hypertension on account of rolling panic attacks.

I am officially too old for this poo poo. :smith:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
You'll pry my ritual double shot n' brew from my cold, whiskey-shivering hands.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I missioned one of those exactly on the turn of a golf course in Midland/Odessa, while driving the cart for my family, the chick making it growing visibly alarmed as she ran out of space in the cup for Coke.

I golfed in spirit that day, if not in fact.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The accounting position was filled for a week. Just found out.

I don't mind the "no". I've been hearing "no" my entire loving life, I don't seriously expect anything to get better ever. What hurts is that a boy with soft hands looked me in the eye and claimed with a straight face that "it was really busy and we forgot" when by any standard those of us in the stained and tattered uniforms were far, far busier and yet I still found the few minutes every other day to follow up on the position.

Aw, no, but you see it was the bosses going away party and then we had an outing. Can't tell a guy if his life is finally going to be worth living, we're too busy going fun places and getting drunk on company time.

People say "death to america" a lot these days but when it really comes from the loving heart...

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
gently caress the booze. gimme that philly wrap and let me show you how is done in home country

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

caleb posted:

A prep cook at a previous job told me once that rubbing coffee grounds in those sorts of cuts (not on blood thinners) makes them clot. Confirm/deny? I did not know it was mandoline with an e. I am an amateur.

He was either bullshitting you, or fell very hard for some bullshit himself.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Its gonna be so goddamned stupid when you leave, lmao

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I don't want that! I am running out of nice ways to tell y'all I really, really don't want that! I don't want to be the immediate subordinate to the guy who sees 30-odd key lime pie slices come back and says, in total earnest "hey this icing is good! cut the florets off the top and ~~Make Something~~ out of it! this is a good idea, yeah? *walks off assured its a good idea independent of confirmation whether it is or is not*" I don't want to be answerable in any capacity for the failings of a stupid STUPID loving guy who likes the special "but maybe change the shape of the fish, yeah? Yeah. *walks away assured we can just change the shape of the fish*" I don't want to be the one who does all that poo poo, while the absolute worst exec I have ever worked with in my life takes all the credit for whatever silk purses I can frantically cobble together out of a kitchen full of sow's ears when between SB4 and attrition/churn one hundred percent of our actual talent is in jeopardy in a two month timeframe because when you die there is no score screen scrolling blandly across what used to be your vision giving you a bonus for putting up with that for any length of time.

I do not want that even more than i want $40k a year. that $40k means i just buy an Epic Gun to shove under my chin after more than a month of that.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
"Well I don't the think anyone on staff is qualified to be sous" --the GM

"You aren't qualified to be GM, or else you'd know four people are, and they're all leaving in a couple months because you are THAT TOXIC you astonishingly basic bitch" --me

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah, that. Fuckin' alphabet soup. I just get sore that after so long in the woods I'm so close to having just a little bit more control over my life again and the two folks most directly responsible for everything being awful are like "hrm well i dont know if youre ready for this"

And like, you should be so lucky you overwhelmed fuckboy. Your almost-freudian aversion creating a department worth staying in is costing you horribly at a notably crucial time, and I'm not gonna see it with you because you smoothbrains took what passion I had for the industry and snuffed it! It gives not a launchpad property feel, but a catapult. Y'know?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

pentyne posted:

Are immersion blenders actually used in professional kitchens?

JESUS GOD YES

basically every dressing and sauce are made with them.

Cuisinart makes a really good home model with plenty of torque for whatever you need it for.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rreFXFnlKO4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
"minimum 3 years casual fine dining exp" is such a perfect bullshit sentence I don't even wanna take it apart and ruin its majesty.

That right there is a perfect example of patter thrown into the description to scare off the truly unqualified. Show up to the interview 5 minutes early, firm handshake, clean clothes, don't be a space alien in the interview, display interest and intelligence and trainability and don't be loving lying when you say you'll work like a goddamned immigrant. Enjoy the road to the James Beard awards.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 15, 2017

• Locked thread