Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Hey don't worry, My People have been using nails as cotter pins since we came across on the Mayflower. Bonus points for wiring it in instead of just bending it. You'll be fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Bodge repairs along with tips and tricks on how to just keep going... Thanks.
Crap wind, crap gas, crap politics, at least it's pretty looking in spots.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I wonder if it would be worthwhile putting a water/gasoline separator on a bike before a big trip like that? It would look ridiculous, but I think it would help.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Very nice ladies, I'm jealous.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

slidebite posted:

I wonder if it would be worthwhile putting a water/gasoline separator on a bike before a big trip like that? It would look ridiculous, but I think it would help.

That was the only bad gas we got on the whole trip (so far). I think carrying a little bottle of water remover might not be a bad idea though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAWVfATllQs

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

So fascinating with ancient drawings that only make sense from way above. Makes me go a bit :tinfoil:

Also, tip for improvised windsock: A sock.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT6aEUIZ65I

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Great footage as always...

What are you thoughts on a teaching abroad thing in Bogota? My sister/brother-in-law are considering it, they have a 7 year old kid (I think it's a terrible idea for them to go anywhere but that's beside the fact).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Out of curiosity, what did that flight set you back?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Hah, we get imported Cusquena beer in my local supermarket (:britain:) It is indeed tasty. I had a similar moment after 6 months living in Uganda when I found the tiny shop that imported belgian beers and waffles. Ugandan domestic beer was pretty universally awful.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Feb 18, 2015

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

n8r posted:

Great footage as always...

What are you thoughts on a teaching abroad thing in Bogota? My sister/brother-in-law are considering it, they have a 7 year old kid (I think it's a terrible idea for them to go anywhere but that's beside the fact).

Everyone says Bogota sucks, but teaching abroad in Medellin would be incredible. I think taking your 7 year old kid to another country is pretty loving awesome because they are still young enough to be able to absorb language and speak it as well as a native speaker. If you're just worried about general safety or whatever, forget about it, Colombia has shed it's rough past and is as safe as the US (ie: there are gnarly parts in the cities, the same as any big city back home)

slidebite posted:

Out of curiosity, what did that flight set you back?

It was not cheap, like $70 each I think. It's pretty barfy, but the only way to see the lines. I went to the Nazca lines like 6 years ago backbacking with friends and just did the tower so it was kind of like "gently caress it, I probably won't be back here a third time". Apparently they want to build a giant tower so everyone could see the lines, but the touristy flying places are trying their best to cock block it.

Speaking of which, the sailboats lost their battle against the Darien Gap ferry and now you and your motorbike can cross with ease for like $350 or so.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Hah, we get imported Cusquena beer in my local supermarket (:britain:) It is indeed tasty. I had a similar moment after 6 months living in Uganda when I found the tiny shop that imported belgian beers and waffles. Ugandan domestic beer was pretty universally awful.

Yeah and it's a blessing and a curse because you are so happy to have good beer but it starts busting your budget. :P

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
SPOILER ALERT

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Becktastic posted:

It was not cheap, like $70 each I think. It's pretty barfy, but the only way to see the lines. I went to the Nazca lines like 6 years ago backbacking with friends and just did the tower so it was kind of like "gently caress it, I probably won't be back here a third time". Apparently they want to build a giant tower so everyone could see the lines, but the touristy flying places are trying their best to cock block it
That's a steal, but I understand needing to watch the $$$ but I agree, it was a good splurge and I certainly would have done the same.
:woop:

e: 10 years from now, you're going to only have good memories of those bikes and regret selling them.
Sell them

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Well done! Dang, a year and a half. What an amazing thing you've done.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Say "Hello" to the Falklands! :P

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

I can't view it!!!

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

x2. This has been one of my favorite things on SA. What is your plan after you sell the bikes?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

Congratulations--what an incredible accomplishment! What you've done is easily one of the best motorcycle trip documentaries out there... thank you for taking the time to film, edit, and share all of your adventures with us!

Looking back in retrospect, what would you have changed starting out? Equipment, bike mods, preparation, etc?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

That's both awesome and sad that you made it to the end. Definitely the trip of a lifetime and well documented to keep the memories.
If you end up coming back to San Diego I'll buy you guys some celebratory beers from one of the millions of craft beer places around here.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I can't view it!!!

Rehosted without permission, perhaps someone here will jump on it?

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

hot sauce posted:

x2. This has been one of my favorite things on SA. What is your plan after you sell the bikes?

We're going to fly up to Buenos Aires for a few weeks and then back to California for a bit. Planning to buy a truck and some smaller more dirt oriented bikes and do some more riding around the states, Canada and Mexico! Maybe check out the Trans-America-Trail as well...

OSU_Matthew posted:

Congratulations--what an incredible accomplishment! What you've done is easily one of the best motorcycle trip documentaries out there... thank you for taking the time to film, edit, and share all of your adventures with us!

Looking back in retrospect, what would you have changed starting out? Equipment, bike mods, preparation, etc?

Right on, we're glad you've all been enjoying our videos so much! We're going to be making a full length documentary when we get back to the states so there will be more to watch!

We wouldn't change a whole lot - besides the stator/charging issues we've had with the DRZ, it's still one of the best bikes to do a trip like this with. A 400cc motorcycle is the ideal size for a dual sport. Plenty of power on the highway, small enough for more challenging dirt roads. As far as equipment, maybe a bit more minimalist, but really we're pretty happy with most of the gear we've used on the trip. We've pretty much thrashed just about everything we've brought on the trip, but most of it made it to the end! Preparation - we did just enough to get by, but did spend a bit of time learning all the mechanical stuff which was extremely helpful, and continued to learn even more while on the road.

Bugdrvr posted:

That's both awesome and sad that you made it to the end. Definitely the trip of a lifetime and well documented to keep the memories.
If you end up coming back to San Diego I'll buy you guys some celebratory beers from one of the millions of craft beer places around here.

We're thinking we'll likely be back in San Diego sometime around the end of March/beginning of April, and totally down to drink some delicious craft beer :)

We're just stoked to have made it to Ushuaia, and we really took our time the whole trip and didn't rush anything, so we feel like the timing is right. We've got a lot of future travel plans and are excited about getting back to California and seeing all of our friends, and doing a bit of travel around the states, Canada and Mexico. And there will definitely be more big trips in the future. After all, there's still quite a few continents left that need exploring..!

We've been busy catching up on videos, here's our latest one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGChC-xH5NY

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Awesome trip, thank you for taking the time and effort put in to share it with us. When you do your US/Canada tour, post up again.
Write a book, when you do your US/Canada tour make it a lecture tour, get paid to go from place to place. (though it might be a pain to actually be on a schedule)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Has she ever talked about how much all of this cost? I'm currently saving most of my income in order to do something like this. Is that what you did too, Becktastic?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Great vid as always. Out of curiosity, do you know how much video you shot during the trip?

When you do your tour, even if you're not up to fancy lectures speaking to small groups might be kind of a cool idea. Bike clubs, dealership networks, that kind of thing.

If you guys ever make it to Southern Alberta again Mrs. Slidebite and I have a spare room.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
"Andrea just gets the plague once in a while"

*video of Andrea licking a bag thats been in a luggage that hasn't been clean since Roosevelt*

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
When you do a run through the states if you stop in San Antonio the wife said you can crash in our second bedroom. I will also treat you to dinner at my restaurant so you all can save some cash.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
If you come near Portland, you have a room and a hot meal (or more!) with us. My mom thinks you're the best -- I showed her your videos and I think she's basically adopted you two.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Whoa whoa whoa, back up the truck. Did you say they were selling Ayahuasca in coke bottles down there?

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Radbot posted:

Has she ever talked about how much all of this cost? I'm currently saving most of my income in order to do something like this. Is that what you did too, Becktastic?

We haven't quite figured out just how much everything has cost us yet, but we're going to do a section of the documentary about costs and how to save money for a trip like this. Still busy catching up on episodes and then when we're back in California we'll get working on the documentary and all the extras and lots of info about budgeting and such :)

slidebite posted:

Great vid as always. Out of curiosity, do you know how much video you shot during the trip?

When you do your tour, even if you're not up to fancy lectures speaking to small groups might be kind of a cool idea. Bike clubs, dealership networks, that kind of thing.

If you guys ever make it to Southern Alberta again Mrs. Slidebite and I have a spare room.

Right on, we'll likely be up in Canada doing some exploring and be more than happy to take you up on your spare room offer! We're also thinking about going to some moto shops and showing some clips of the video once we finish it, and hopefully motivating people to hop on their bikes and go adventuring...

Lynza posted:

If you come near Portland, you have a room and a hot meal (or more!) with us. My mom thinks you're the best -- I showed her your videos and I think she's basically adopted you two.

Sounds great! We'll definitely be making our way up to Portland at some point after we're back in the states. Tell your mom we say hello and we'll be up to visit likely sometime later in the year :)

Silver posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, back up the truck. Did you say they were selling Ayahuasca in coke bottles down there?

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupp. Very spiritual indeed.

Here's our newest video, enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrXyvdJFFmk

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Awesome sweater, Becks! :3:

That girls' dorm is excellent, hope their studies go well.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
If any of you are interested in learning more/helping out the Sacred Valley Project, check out their site: http://sacredvalleyproject.org/

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Updates? Where you girls at now?

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904659&page=51

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Silver posted:

Updates? Where you girls at now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYMbTcfLDTc

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot
:toot:

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Yay! We finally have Bolivia done! AND two more queued up for the coming weeks. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFZnSe8nlOA

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auClBRsZpVI

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Really looking forward to the next episode, the laguna route should be epic.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Cool update, id love to ride on a lake like that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwa1m_2kk2k

• Locked thread