Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, somehow I have missed this thread so far! As a DRZ owner confined to their radius this year, I will be living vicariously through you.

No tips, but have fun, and I look forward to catching up on the videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Sweet! Good to see you're back in the saddle :)

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wow, somehow I have missed this thread so far! As a DRZ owner confined to their radius this year, I will be living vicariously through you.

No tips, but have fun, and I look forward to catching up on the videos.

Glad I can help!

Chris Knight posted:

Sweet! Good to see you're back in the saddle :)

Thank you! It's soooooo good to be back! After my accident I was extremely paranoid just driving in traffic and I was afraid I might be too scared to ride again, but I went to the Overland Expo with my cast still on and talking to the adventurers made me so excited to travel by bike and I found myself looking longingly every time one rode past. Now it feels just like old times! :)

Episode 7 - Willow, Anchorage, Homer and Anchorage again (you have to backtrack a lot in Alaska!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4XcfSGsO54

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I really like your video and story telling style. It's really cool you got to meet your long lost relations and hit it off like that.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

slidebite posted:

I really like your video and story telling style. It's really cool you got to meet your long lost relations and hit it off like that.

Thanks! I'm glad you dig the narration style, it's easier than vlog style and I can show more footage and no one can tell I am covered in dirt and my hair is one wind whipped snarl. :P We might mix it up later. I'm figure out this whole videography/editing thing as I go.

Episode 8! Top of the World Highway rocks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWWkYdqvvXU

IHatePancakes
Jan 29, 2009
Need a shower/garage/workspace/couch in Portland, Oregon? Shoot an email to pancakesiahte@gmail.com and I'll gladly give you a hand on your adventure!

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

IHatePancakes posted:

Need a shower/garage/workspace/couch in Portland, Oregon? Shoot an email to pancakesiahte@gmail.com and I'll gladly give you a hand on your adventure!

Hmm I tried to email you but it failed. This probably won't reach you in time. We're in Portland now actually and we were going to just do a parking lot oil change, but if you happen to be free in the morning and we could meet up and wrench that would be rad. If not, sorry we missed ya! If you happen to check this in time, email me at thebecktastic at gmail. Thanks!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Becktastic posted:

Hmm I tried to email you but it failed.

It's probably pancakesihate@gmail.com

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Durrr. I was trying to find an easy typo but my brain kept making the last three letters say 'the'. I'll try it your way. :)

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnChFMHIE1Q

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A little surprised that bikeshop didn't have a boot for you. If I owned a shop up there tires are the one thing I'd probably stock a shitload of. Glad it looks like you're making it though!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Inspiring me to do a similar thing next summer around Northern Europe. Great set of vids!

IHatePancakes
Jan 29, 2009

Becktastic posted:

Durrr. I was trying to find an easy typo but my brain kept making the last three letters say 'the'. I'll try it your way. :)

Crap, didn't even realize I made a typo! Tried to get back to you after I got your email this morning, but no reply. If you're still in Portland, hit me up! I'm very good friends with parts guys up here, and I could get you guys a killer discount if you need any replacement parts/gear.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Minor addendum to things that have failed so far:
Frogg Toggs Zipper after three years of faithful service Becky's Frogg Toggs zipper tab snapped off making it difficult to zip.
DRZ 400 Engine the DRZ made some rough noises today before giving up the ghost on a mountain overlook south of Eugene, OR. Cams and their respective bearings/journals are trashed, currently roadside camping until we can figure out a tow tomorrow.
Wigwam black socks I lost one of my boot socks and now I have an uneven number of socks. :(

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

IHatePancakes posted:

I'm very good friends with parts guys up here, and I could get you guys a killer discount if you need any replacement parts/gear.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

DRZ 400 Engine the DRZ made some rough noises today before giving up the ghost on a mountain overlook south of Eugene, OR. Cams and their respective bearings/journals are trashed, currently roadside camping until we can figure out a tow tomorrow.

Well, the timing on that one seems pretty good at least. :(

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Well, the timing on that one seems pretty good at least. :(

quote:

I'm very good friends with parts guys up here, and I could get you guys a killer discount if you need any replacement parts/gear.

Oh man I didn't even note that since it wasn't relevant at the time. Hmm maybe I can get the parts shipped to Reno...I need to find out how bad it is. If the cylinder is salvageable mostly. I could hear it sliding up and down when I tried restarting, it never seized...but it obviously encountered something to break the cam journal like that. Everybody cross your fingers! Since I need to be in Reno for Burning Man I'm dragging the bike down there to get sorted out. Hopefully I can party and return to a magically fixed bike! :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ccwBZ4i9vE

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Suzuki :rolleyes:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh poo poo, that's awful.

Well, look on the brightside: Failing where it did is probably tons better than where it could have happened.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

They're supposed to be bullet proof! My old one was stellar. This one had such low miles when I got it I don't really know what happened. It could have been running a bit lean, but the plug looked okay. It got pretty hot stuck in traffic at the border stop and Seattle so that could have had something to do with it but you'd think my radiator would have been boiling first. I'm just chalkingIt up to a weird defect unless a shop can find a better explaination.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
No matter what happened before, you're definitely on an adventure now! :hampants:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Becktastic posted:

They're supposed to be bullet proof! My old one was stellar. This one had such low miles when I got it I don't really know what happened. It could have been running a bit lean, but the plug looked okay. It got pretty hot stuck in traffic at the border stop and Seattle so that could have had something to do with it but you'd think my radiator would have been boiling first. I'm just chalkingIt up to a weird defect unless a shop can find a better explaination.

Did it burn off a bunch of oil on the freeway or something?

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
The videos are great. I can't wait till you're back on the road and can post more updates.

I'm in San Diego if you need help (sorry, no garage) or are just looking for a good taco place. :)

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I don't know if the timing would work, but World Superbike are running at Laguna Seca at the end of September. Races are really awesome to watch there because if you sit on the right hill, you can see like 80% of the track.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Looks like a lack of oiling did your cam journal in - that cam is bone dry compared to the intake side on the left. Maybe a blocked oil passage?

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Z3n posted:

Did it burn off a bunch of oil on the freeway or something?

Yup.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Looks like a lack of oiling did your cam journal in - that cam is bone dry compared to the intake side on the left. Maybe a blocked oil passage?

Lack of oil indeed.

Apparently the amount of oil burned off was an acceptable amount and the onus is all on me for not checking it more often. I felt like my old bike wasn't so needy, but when I think back to my previous trip, I was rolling solo and going slower on more back roads. I can recall a friend blazing to AZ from CA on the Interstate on her DRZ and commenting how quickly it burned fuel and oil. I should have taken those words to heart and been more vigilant. At least there won't be a lot more highspeed freeway action from this point South either.

slidebite posted:

Oh poo poo, that's awful.

Well, look on the brightside: Failing where it did is probably tons better than where it could have happened.

Exactly. And now I have a solid case of motorcycle hypochondria which should serve me well going South. Hopefully I can settle into a healthy middle ground of checking my oil daily instead of every time I stop.

Stugazi posted:

The videos are great. I can't wait till you're back on the road and can post more updates.

I'm in San Diego if you need help (sorry, no garage) or are just looking for a good taco place. :)

I hope you mean El Zarape or we might have to fight! I'm back in SD now, if you want to get tacos or help me do a valve check on my new top end, email me your contact info. thebecktastic at gmail

Day Man posted:

I don't know if the timing would work, but World Superbike are running at Laguna Seca at the end of September. Races are really awesome to watch there because if you sit on the right hill, you can see like 80% of the track.

I've been before and it is super awesome, but I think I need 100% of my time, money and energy for the next month focused on South America. I felt like I had most things in order, but getting back and writing lists and plowing through all the things you have to take care of before you leave the country for a year is daunting to say the least. We had originally wanted to leave October 1st, but we've bumped that back two weeks to give us some more prep time and a couple more weeks for Andrea to work and scrape together funds. I'm looking at a new camera and working out streamlining the video making process so it will be easier to keep up with on the road including wiring my laptop in so it charges while I ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha5bH9q90vI

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Becktastic posted:

Apparently the amount of oil burned off was an acceptable amount and the onus is all on me for not checking it more often. I felt like my old bike wasn't so needy, but when I think back to my previous trip, I was rolling solo and going slower on more back roads. I can recall a friend blazing to AZ from CA on the Interstate on her DRZ and commenting how quickly it burned fuel and oil. I should have taken those words to heart and been more vigilant. At least there won't be a lot more highspeed freeway action from this point South either.
I think that's a fairly common thing with singles when cruising on the interstate. F650s are known for that, if I'm not mistaken.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Last oil change I did on my DRZ, it was noticeably low, and that was after a couple 300 mile days, which is nothing compared to what you're doing, I'm sure.

Gotta watch the big singles. Manufacturers have been claiming to have that issue fixed lately, but I'm not so sure I believe it.

Whats the story with the fix for the trashed engine? New top end or what?

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whats the story with the fix for the trashed engine? New top end or what?

New head, valves and cam chain. Thankfully the piston and cylinder were alright.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhNmwVJixGU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Woop, update! Glad you got it up and running, sounds like you got lucky with the piston and cylinder.

Was Voodoo Donut everything it is hyped to be? Some of us have even heard of it here in Eurasia.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

ReelBigLizard posted:

Woop, update! Glad you got it up and running, sounds like you got lucky with the piston and cylinder.

Was Voodoo Donut everything it is hyped to be? Some of us have even heard of it here in Eurasia.

The maple bacon doughnut is great, but you could make one anywhere, just put a couple strips of bacon on top of a maple glazed doughnut and voila! In my opinion they put too much crap on most of their doughnuts and it's overkill. The big cream filled penis shaped doughnuts are pretty funny though too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I was in White Sulphur Springs, MT last week and there was some other dude riding a BMW that was in the middle of a trip from the north coast to the tip of South America too. He was 2 months into his trip at the time.

Didn't really talk to him much, just overhead what he was saying to the old harley guys that were there while we were all in one of the hot pools. I wanted to talk to him afterwards but he left.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

slidebite posted:

I was in White Sulphur Springs, MT last week and there was some other dude riding a BMW that was in the middle of a trip from the north coast to the tip of South America too. He was 2 months into his trip at the time.

Didn't really talk to him much, just overhead what he was saying to the old harley guys that were there while we were all in one of the hot pools. I wanted to talk to him afterwards but he left.

I hope you don't mean right in the middle. 2 months to run from MT to the Southern tip of South America would be insane. I saw a big beemer adventured out with a huge list of countries written on it outside of a museum. I wanted to talk to the guy but he didn't come out while I was there. His website is https://www.worldbees.com apparently he's a beekeeping consultant who rides all over the world observing bees and helping people with their hives. Pretty rad. I wish we could have spoken. I also ran into a young guy in Utila, Honduras a couple years ago who was midway through the big ride (I was just backpacking at the time). It's interesting how popular big adventure rides have become and how many people you can just bump into doing epic journeys.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Beck: I might have missed it in one of the earlier vids, but where'd you get that little windscreen?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Becktastic posted:

I hope you don't mean right in the middle. 2 months to run from MT to the Southern tip of South America would be insane.
No, he was 2 months in to his trip. In other words, he was in Alaska in mid July and head south from then. He said he purposely stayed off the highways and took forestry service roads/secondaries/etc.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Really enjoying your updates. I like that you're clear and concise with your narrating, there are too many low effort youtube logs out there. Did you fly out to burning man, or how did that work?

EvilSlug
Dec 5, 2004
Not crazy, just evil.
I love journey stories and you do this quite well. Trip reports vicariously scratch that roaming itch pretty well when you can't be out roaming yourself. Looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip and wishing you guys a safe one. :) My trips are always "leave...return...show people the stuff I saw/did". I can't imagine trying to edit video together and do semi-regular updates on my progress during a road trip.

I know you've safely traveled at least one of the other Americas before and have done your homework; but based on past experience outside of the touristy parts of Central/South America, I'd still advise being brunette for that leg of the trip. It can make your life much easier (if not safer). Dudes in South America were often uncomfortably obsessed with a past girlfriend simply because she had blue eyes and fair skin. It got dangerous on occasion. Since you can't find situations like that on a road map, I generally advise any female traveler down there to appear as 'ordinary' to locals as possible when not on chartered trips.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

ought ten posted:

Beck: I might have missed it in one of the earlier vids, but where'd you get that little windscreen?

The previous owner made it. :) He just cut some flexible plexi to shape and bolted it on with a small strip of foam to reduce vibration noise.

slidebite posted:

No, he was 2 months in to his trip. In other words, he was in Alaska in mid July and head south from then. He said he purposely stayed off the highways and took forestry service roads/secondaries/etc.

Sounds awesome! Did you get his name or website?

EvilSlug posted:

I love journey stories and you do this quite well. Trip reports vicariously scratch that roaming itch pretty well when you can't be out roaming yourself. Looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip and wishing you guys a safe one. :) My trips are always "leave...return...show people the stuff I saw/did". I can't imagine trying to edit video together and do semi-regular updates on my progress during a road trip.

I know you've safely traveled at least one of the other Americas before and have done your homework; but based on past experience outside of the touristy parts of Central/South America, I'd still advise being brunette for that leg of the trip. It can make your life much easier (if not safer). Dudes in South America were often uncomfortably obsessed with a past girlfriend simply because she had blue eyes and fair skin. It got dangerous on occasion. Since you can't find situations like that on a road map, I generally advise any female traveler down there to appear as 'ordinary' to locals as possible when not on chartered trips.

The editing as we go definitely has its challenges, but when you have more time than money, being forced to slow your pace can be a good thing. I'm working on wiring the laptop to charge in it's case as we ride so I will have power to edit a bit every evening when we settle in. We have a strict "No night riding" rule once we get South of the border, so I intend to utilize the evening hours for editing. However, despite best efforts, my posts will probably get fewer and farther between. Hopefully I can semi keep up and then just upload a burst of videos when I find internet.

I went to Peru and I dyed my hair red/brown for that, who knows if it helped. I got my butt grabbed on a train, but it happened more often in Italy. I had blonde hair while on a backpacking trip from Belize to Costa Rica and aside from some friendly students in Copan Ruinas, Honduras who weirdly wanted to take pictures with me, it didn't seem to matter.

I've ridden around Mexico a bit and sometimes men will follow me, but if you act unafraid and let them know you see them, they tend to shyly slink off, or you can ignore them until they get bored. The worst I've ever had is a butt pinch and that only in crowded places where they know they won't get caught. Machismo is a funny thing, but not as scary as people make it out to be. If it gets weird later, I'll pick up some dye, but I prefer my hair blonde and it's nice when you are unshowered and looking like a disaster to have old Mexican ladies proclaim how bonita you are when you take your helmet off.

Andrea's hair is blue and green right now and mine had been neon pink. I let mine wash out and I think Andrea will dye hers red/brown before leaving. Rainbow hair may be -too- much attention.

hayden. posted:

Really enjoying your updates. I like that you're clear and concise with your narrating, there are too many low effort youtube logs out there. Did you fly out to burning man, or how did that work?

Answer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6JEPHjHDBg

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Burning Man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uekRjzyEiHo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Aww! Thanks to whoever gave me the new icon! :3:

"Failure is impossible" makes me smile. I've been stressing about trip prep so much it's making me crazy. It's unusual for me, I tend to just go with the flow, roll with the punches and not worry too much, but I've never done anything of this magnitude and there are a lot of unknowns. I'm making the age old mistake of trying to plan and prepare for every scenario. We actually bumped our leave date forward-, now we are heading down Baja the 9th! We decided we leave that day in whatever state of preparedness we are in, waiting til we are fully ready is futile, at some point you gotta just go!

• Locked thread