Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Speaking of the company's financial issues, where does that issue end? There's been a pretty steady stream of new projects for a while now - the TV show and the reboot titles, before that Afterlife, and before that stuff like Will You Marry Me and Kevin's introduction - that have all been pretty well received.

I'm pretty ignorant of the business side of stuff, but it seems like the company is doing what it needs to do in seeking out new endeavors, and furthermore that their attempts have been successful. Are they still falling that far short of turning profits? Or is it a question of waiting to make returns on all this stuff?

I just want Archie to be around for 100 more years :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I appreciated the reference to Madam Satan in this weeks Riverdale. Liking the show so far, although I could do with less of the Grundy/Archie subplot.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Edmund Lava posted:

I appreciated the reference to Madam Satan in this weeks Riverdale. Liking the show so far, although I could do with less of the Grundy/Archie subplot.

It seems to be coming to a head.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Edmund Lava posted:

I liked how even in this modernized, more "grounded" take on the characters, they apparently still called each other "Little Archie", and presumably "Little Betty" and "Little Jughead" when they were kids, the same way they do in the Little Archie comics.

Also I have no evidence for this whatsoever, but since Ms. Grundy is, by leaps and bounds, so much further from her character than any other depicted on the show, I wonder if it's really her. Like, maybe a grifter who stole an old lady's identity or something? Betty's mom is the only other character who's a lot different from her comics character, but she also has a lot less visibility than Ms. Grundy does in the comics.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Argue posted:

I liked how even in this modernized, more "grounded" take on the characters, they apparently still called each other "Little Archie", and presumably "Little Betty" and "Little Jughead" when they were kids, the same way they do in the Little Archie comics.

Also I have no evidence for this whatsoever, but since Ms. Grundy is, by leaps and bounds, so much further from her character than any other depicted on the show, I wonder if it's really her. Like, maybe a grifter who stole an old lady's identity or something? Betty's mom is the only other character who's a lot different from her comics character, but she also has a lot less visibility than Ms. Grundy does in the comics.

Maybe they'll introduce a relative later on who'll be closer to the comic's version, seems like the kind of thing I could see the show doing, kinda like how Smallville had two versions of Jimmy Olsen over its run(at least if I'm remembering correctly)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I mean, I would never, ever expect Archie to be sleeping with Ms. Grundy in the comics. She's clearly drawn to be much older, while TV Grundy barely looks older than the high schoolers. (Granted, given how these things are cast, she might be five years older than the actors at most.)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

I mean, I would never, ever expect Archie to be sleeping with Ms. Grundy in the comics. She's clearly drawn to be much older, while TV Grundy barely looks older than the high schoolers. (Granted, given how these things are cast, she might be five years older than the actors at most.)

She's actually 15 years older than the kid playing Archie believe it or not. He's 19, she's 34. That's probably more than the age difference is even supposed to be in the show as I figured she was supposed to be a younger teacher in her mid twenties.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

feetnotes posted:

Speaking of the company's financial issues, where does that issue end? There's been a pretty steady stream of new projects for a while now - the TV show and the reboot titles, before that Afterlife, and before that stuff like Will You Marry Me and Kevin's introduction - that have all been pretty well received.

I'm pretty ignorant of the business side of stuff, but it seems like the company is doing what it needs to do in seeking out new endeavors, and furthermore that their attempts have been successful. Are they still falling that far short of turning profits? Or is it a question of waiting to make returns on all this stuff?

I just want Archie to be around for 100 more years :smith:

Yeah, I'm legitimately curious about this too. What's the deal? They seem to be doing okay at a glance, and yet they're really, really not doing okay somehow.

Endless Mike posted:

When I heard about Archie loving Ms. Grundy in the show, I did a serious double-take because I had no idea they aged her down and that would be mad surreal to have Archie loving a 90-year-old.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Argue posted:

Wait, when did Sugar Sugar get played?

Haha only in the promo for the second ep.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Otherwise the main title is basically the best thing Waid's writing, to the point where it almost feels like he's more focused on it than his Marvel work.

That might explain why Champions is hot garbage, Waid only has enough teen-speak in him to shoulder one book at a time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think it's more that he doesn't really try to use hip teen-speak in Archie, knowing that Archie is supposed to be timeless, to a point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

I think it's more that he doesn't really try to use hip teen-speak in Archie, knowing that Archie is supposed to be timeless, to a point.

Also possible.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

When I heard about Archie loving Ms. Grundy in the show, I did a serious double-take because I had no idea they aged her down and that would be mad surreal to have Archie loving a 90-year-old.

So wait, the show actually features statutory rape and nobody is freaking out about it?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

So wait, the show actually features statutory rape and nobody is freaking out about it?

Maybe because it's a story on a TV show and not a real thing happening in the real world. I also didn't call the police when Jason Blossom turned up with a gunshot wound to the head.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

After Archie had a graphically violent zombie story and was assassinated in place of his gay friend it's probably hard for Archie fans to really get upset about shocking things involving Archie.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Yes and no. I was legitimately shocked reading through Afterlife the first time, it was the 1-2 punch of seeing the characters treated more "realistically" AND involved in such violent actions both for the first time. But in the end they're zombies, there's still that science-fiction element to the violence.

Life with Archie's deaths were more true-to-life and less fantastical, but they were also more PG. Miss Grundy dies of...cancer?...off-screen and though it's clear Archie gets shot it's not gory at all, especially in comparison to what Afterlife did.

Archie and the Predator has straight up gore kills, but it's also Fernando Ruiz on artwork, so it comes off almost slapstick, like a b-movie where the tone of the killing is more "crazy action" than psychological terror.

They've been willing to play with how lax they are with violence in certain titles. Even if there's always caveats and Jughead is never just like straight up merkin' dudes with shotguns or whatever. I think it's one of the ways the company wants to signal it's making more "modern" comics, or at least use it to grab headlines. I have no problems with them trying stuff like this! But I have to admit I prefer the classic stuff any time.

Sex is a whole different matter. There's always been making out and suggestive "being alone together" :heysexy: talk but they've always laid off saying "these teenagers are banging!"

Maybe they think it will seem less controversial if it's Archie and a teacher? Or more, but in a way that doesn't mess up the "love triangle but betty and veronica are best friends" thing. I dunno the sexual politics of the Archieverse get real weird as soon as you take it out of being a sanitized gag strip, but Archie Comics is, creatively, getting a lot of mileage out of contrasting contemporary values with the traditional, archetypal characters.

I actually haven't watched the show yet cause I think I might hate it. If it's JUST "This ain't your daddy's Archie :mrapig: I prolly won't dig it but I have to give it a shot before I decide!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

X-O posted:

Maybe because it's a story on a TV show and not a real thing happening in the real world. I also didn't call the police when Jason Blossom turned up with a gunshot wound to the head.

I'm talking about the same people that bitch and moan any time there is any kind of sex or sex-related situations on a TV show.

We all already know that people are just fine with violence on TV.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'm talking about the same people that bitch and moan any time there is any kind of sex or sex-related situations on a TV show.

We all already know that people are just fine with violence on TV.

As I recall they already all jumped ship with a shake of the fist back when Kevin got a series

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pacey slept with his teacher when I was a kid a billion years ago :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Pacey slept with his teacher when I was a kid a billion years ago :shrug:

Yeah but was she hot?

Also Boston Public had numerous teacher/student sex plots.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rhyno posted:

Yeah but was she hot?

Also Boston Public had numerous teacher/student sex plots.

There were some fine honeys on that show.

Also that show was loving awesome.

This has nothing to do with Archie

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Pretty much, except for the fact that the kids text rather than use the landline and Veronica being cut off from the internet being a plot point, it could basically take place at any point after Ferris Bueller was released. It reads something like a modern YA novel crossed with John Hughes.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 8, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Pretty much, except for the fact that the kids text rather than use the landline and Veronica being cut off from the internet being a plot point, it could basically take place at any point after Ferris Bueller was released. It reads something like a modern YA novel crossed with John Hughes.

Yeah, that's why I said "to a point." Making a comic without those things today would instantly date then but putting them in will probably make them relatively timeless for a long time. At worst they'll line nicely quaint in a decade or so.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Macaluso posted:

There were some fine honeys on that show.

Also that show was loving awesome.

This has nothing to do with Archie

I was just giving an example of the trope being used elsewhere!

But yes, many fine honeys.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

feetnotes posted:

I actually haven't watched the show yet cause I think I might hate it. If it's JUST "This ain't your daddy's Archie :mrapig: I prolly won't dig it but I have to give it a shot before I decide!
It's weird because the show is really, really true to the characters but just in a Gossip Girl context. So, you get a scene where Jughead is investigating a murder. But he's investigating it at Pop's and Pop's looks exactly like Pop's and he steals his witness's ice cream while he grills him. And he's still wearing the crown. He's unarguably Jughead, just in a world with a different set of rules. It's also worth noting that it's a show that lets Veronica just strive as a character. It's a great performance and her threatening to scorch the Earth on privileged miscreants--her words--after being slut shamed works because it's over the top in a way that feels true to the character.

It's loyal to the comics without being true to them. It's also a comedy that never tips its hat or winks, but clearly knows how ridiculous it is. For all it's too clever dialogue, it still lets its characters do the work.

EDIT: Also spoiler about Grundy, turns out that Ms. Grundy is not just really old, but dead. And whoever Archie is sleeping with stole her identity.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 11, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Speaking of Riverdale, I think you should make a thread for it in TVIV Argue if you're still watching. I think you'd make a fine OP with all your Archie knowledge. And it seems to be getting a bigger and bigger following in the Couch Chat thread so I'd imagine it's about time for its own dedicated thread.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

EDIT: Also spoiler about Grundy, turns out that Ms. Grundy is not just really old, but dead. And whoever Archie is sleeping with stole her identity.

Argue posted:

Yessss my word on all things Archie is now officially law.

X-O posted:

Speaking of Riverdale, I think you should make a thread for it in TVIV Argue if you're still watching. I think you'd make a fine OP with all your Archie knowledge. And it seems to be getting a bigger and bigger following in the Couch Chat thread so I'd imagine it's about time for its own dedicated thread.

Yeah I wasn't planning to originally but there seems to be enough interest in the general TV chat thread now. I'm on vacation at the moment but I can make the thread if the interested parties can wait two weeks.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Argue posted:

Yessss my word on all things Archie is now officially law.

Yeah I wasn't planning to originally but there seems to be enough interest in the general TV chat thread now. I'm on vacation at the moment but I can make the thread if the interested parties can wait two weeks.

I think it'll need to be made sooner than that. But if someone else makes it I'd still like you post some of your trivia every so often. I read through all your posts in the thread and they're fantastic.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Archie's signed a deal with Warner Bros to develop more stuff based on their other properties.

To go with that news, Mark Waid's got an expanded editorial role at Archie now, and will be co-writing Jughead with Ian Flynn, following Ryan North's run. Derek Charm will stay on art. Mark Waid is great, and I don't read Sonic, but I understand Ian Flynn successfully salvaged the disaster that Ken Penders made of that, and I had fun reading his Megaman comic.

Ian Flynn is pretty tight with Archie; I wonder if the creative team has finally "settled"; I find it strange how quickly they were rotating through writers and artists on Archie and Jughead.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gonna be honest, I know people were head over heals for Fiona Staples on Archie but I think Veronica Fish was the best artist by far on the book and I miss her. Joe Eisma is fine too, but Fish's issues looked the best to me. Derek Charm's Jughead is great too. The Sabrina issues looked really good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Veronica Fish issues could have stood for a better inker, I think. I don't really have a strong opinion either way on her and Staples. I love Derek Charm, though.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I just want Afterlife and Chilling Tales of Sabrina to hurry up and quit being Battle Chasers. (Or Blue Monday. Or A Distant Soil. You know... STUFF RELEASED SO SLOWLY IT MIGHT AS WELL BE IN REVERSE IT WOULD COME OUT FASTER GODDAMNIT EMPOWERED GETS RELEASED FASTER! :doom: )

No I don't care a tv show is more important to do. I want my grimdark comics that actually got me reading Archie, albeit just the New Riverdale stuff and some of the wacko crossovers like vs Predator and vs Sharknado.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The two best artists by far were definitely Veronica Fish and Annie Wu. Annie Wu in particular had a style that eerily lands smack in between Staples and Fish's styles.

I don't think I mentioned all of this in this thread, but they're putting out a series of one-shots on March 29, and if there's any interest, they'll probably be promoting them to series:

Jughead: The Hunger - Horror title, werewolf Jughead; Frank Tieri and Matt Walsh
The Archies - Alex Segura and Joe Eisma. Alex Segura's written books, but for comics, has only ever written for traditional Archie, so I dunno.
Little Archie - By the Tiny Titans team. I hope it's more like crazy adventures with Little Archie, and less like Rugrats; given the team I think the former is a fair expectation.
Sabrina - A non-horror teenage Sabrina title by Franco Aureliani (Tiny Titans) and Katie Cook/Andy Price (the Friendship is Magic comic)

And two more in April:
Little Sabrina - Also by the Tiny Titans team.
Big Moose - Multiple stories by Sean Ryan, Ryan Cady and Gorf, and art by Cory Smith, Thomas Pitilli and Wilfredo Torres. Thomas Pitilli is the only name I know from this list.

I wouldn't be interested in some of those as series, but I'll be picking up all of the one-shots and give them a chance to change my mind.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If the Sabrina one is along the lines of her recent appearance in Jughead I'd be interested in that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WB and Archie are going in big together. They apparently view Riverdale as a big success and are looking to adapt more properties.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/archie-comics-signs-development-deal-warner-bros-tv-975805

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That seems a bit hasty.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

So perfectly in-line with both companies' M.O.s, is what you're saying.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah I didn't wanna say, but it's very WB.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Apparently Marvel has just made a deal with Archie as well, to distribute digest comics for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Didn't you guys know? Everybody loves Archie

• Locked thread