Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Argue posted:

Finally watched. I liked it! And yes, I think they nailed down the core cast quite well. There were some liberties with lesser-known characters like Betty's mom, Veronica's dad, and so forth, but that's understandable--if they stayed true to everyone (they're all essentially good people) they'd probably be really hard-pressed to draw out conflict on the show short of bringing in Archie's literal supervillains like Mad Doctor Doom and Morgan Le Fey.

There's no thread about it in TVIV and I don't want to make one so I'm just posting here; I won't be doing this for every ep but if there's anything I feel is notable I'll post about it:

"The Town With PEP!" - Archie's first appearance was in Pep Comics in 1941.

MLJ Comics - The old comics place we see in the establishing shots is named MLJ--MLJ Comics was the name of Archie Comics before Archie shot to prominence

Geraldine Grundy - She's as old as 616 Aunt May in the comics, so I thought it might be her daughter or something. Archie calling her by name nips that theory in the bud, though.

Archiekins - Veronica says "Archiekins", which is her classic term of endearment for him in the old comics (I don't recall if she's used it yet in the reboot).

In case anyone is wondering, every single named character is someone established in the comics. I don't think there's going to be a shortage of Archie characters to pull from if they need a new person to play some role. I've annotated all of them in the past so just scan through if you'd like to know more about any.

vvvv ya i should have said less iconic? or something.

A couple more:

1941 - The year Riverdale High opened its doors, also the year Archie first appeared in Pep (as noted)
Sugar Sugar - The Archies actually charted with this song -- in the real world, on the actual charts.

I was scared at the end that Moose was going down to the river with Kevin under false pretenses and we were going to get a bashing, and I was happy to see that corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Argue posted:

Wait, when did Sugar Sugar get played?

Haha only in the promo for the second ep.

• Locked thread