Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Pleasant Friend posted:

Though he isn't completely done with legal issues, apparently he still intends to sue SEGA and Bioware over 2008 Sonic Chronicles, which he believes is a ripoff of his copyright.

I don't know how intellectual copyright works or what all his copyright covers, but Chronicles does pretty much have "lost echidna tribe" as its central story focus, so it could seriously hold ground.

But then, Chronicles was a pretty lovely game and it sold poorly so I don't know why he gives a poo poo. He's not gonna be rollin' in dough if he gets royalties or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

She is actually from Sonic Rush Adventure. Every cutscene she is in, about 50% of it is her talking.

And 100% of it is in annoying over-the-top Australian with "crikey"s and poo poo thrown around all the time. I remember there was a half-finished LP of it and people kept popping into the thread to say "no one talks like that here!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I never thought I'd be buying an Archie comic, writing them off as the hokiest of the hokey, but here I am, reading about motherfucking undead Jughead.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Sonic, how pissed are you now that Sega went and redesigned the central characters right after the soft reboot when that would've been the prime chance (for you guys on the comics side) to introduce redesigned characters like you did with the entire rest of the cast? Also I wish you luck on your storyarc about Knuckles' struggle with steroid abuse.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Well, other than the time he cured the robo-influenza.

...that he created.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the X crossover's gonna go. The concept of the X series always interests me because, y'know, for it to exist, at some point in the Mega Man timeline Rock and all the other significant robotic characters have to die somehow (Light and Wily can die naturally, but presumably if nothing destroyed him, Mega should keep running for years upon years into the future) and so the preview with the broken helmet has me really pumped.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I guess since Sonic comics got a reboot to get rid of their crazy, Riverdale's picking up the slack? Archie HQ must hand out editorial mandates that say "Our comics have to maintain a certain level of batshit insanity, we don't care which book in particular is nuts".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

So what's up with this Sonic reboot I've heard about? Continuity reboots are a great way to lose an existing audience's investment in the universe-what brought this on?

Onmi practically wrote a master's thesis in the bad runs thread if you wanna read all about it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Welp, Sonic & Mega Man 2: Electric Boogaloo is confirmed.

Although really now that Smash Bros 4 is out, we no longer need comics for our Sonic/Mega Man fighting needs :v:.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The big question is when the guest appearance by the Aliens is going to happen so they can fight over which one can breed with Archie.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

New Archie to be written by Mark Waid, with first three issues drawn by Fiona Staples.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57781

"but we have to do it in present times, and that forces us to change... except for Jughead's retarded crown-hat, that sticks no matter what."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

Uhm excuse me but it's called a beanie and aside from it being a good luck charm, it's also been known to turn him into a superhero, and also to enable him to time travel. The beanie stays. <:mad:>

On another note, I got a couple of goons to start reading Afterlife and because I'm a huge Archie nerd I told them I'd give them some annotations on the references found in the previous issues, like I did above. Would anyone mind if I just posted them here?

Please do!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

Sabrina, Hilda, and Zelda Spellman - Sabrina the Teenage Witch might very well be the most recognizable Archie character thanks to her having had a long-running and much-beloved live action sitcom on ABC.

Well obviously son, it's the only show that starred Salem the cat.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Stink Terios posted:

Here

There's still some bullshit after issue #161, but when you're trying to flush down so much crap it's bound to smell for a bit.

I'd go further after that and just start after the Mega Man crossover since that's when Sonic soft-reboots anyway (I think that's like #250 or something?). I started reading there and managed to grasp everything in like... 2 issues.

(Yes I am he who has 'fessed up to reading Sonic comics in TYOOL 2015. :negative:)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 3, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Man, I really hope none of the Capcom bigwigs see Mega Man crying on the cover of the latest issue or Flynn's run is screwed. :ohdear:

Hey, the top of Mega Man's comic says it's one of the most compelling stories in comics. It doesn't have something the incredible irony of having "way past cool" at the top of any potential melodrama.

Monaghan posted:

This implies that capcom gives a poo poo about megaman.

Hey, they care! They care so much they let another company make his best/only game in years!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I love these posts and frankly I just love that "Jughead's Time Police" is a thing that existed. I mean, I only got into comics relatively recently but hot drat the Big Two can't hold a candle to "Man who eats burgers all day becomes TIME COP".

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Between Mega Man and Viewtiful Joe, comics is really becoming Capcom's Island of Misfit Toys Properties

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't know who the villain in this whole thing is but I do know that one of the most unstoppable forces in Capcom better be there to stop it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Adnor posted:

Imagine Dante and Bayonetta in the same comic.

I don't think the world is ready for a 2 page spread of BULLETS loving EVERYWHERE

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

With all these characters and universes they're cramming in, how exactly are they going to make a coherent story from all of this? Unless most of them are just cameos and the main focus is still on Megaman and Sonic.

Probably kinda cameo and kinda just background. They'll all show up long enough to have the very basics of their characters fleshed out and their powers explained, then they'll kinda fade into the background like all of Sonic's umpteen non-Tails friends did in the last crossover.

Or you know, like how in every big Marvel crossover, Captain America and the big names are at the lead but every now and then somebody like Colossus will pop up just to remind you that hey don't forget the X-Men are here too!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I realized today that I am going to understand literally every reference in the Sonic/Mega Man crossover and I feel like the gooniest gently caress alive.

Also Sabrina is a really good book. I kind of love how Harvey's reaction to seeing his girlfriend covered in blood in front of loving Satan elicits only a "What the hell is going on?" instead of shrieking in terror until your vocal cords bleed. Dude must have balls of steel.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 28, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

And Madame Satan is probably scarier than Satan himself at this point.

Yeah I'm kinda shocked Satan didn't really... do anything. I mean, I don't know what I expected, but it seems odd that he'd just go "What? A dude? gently caress, I'm gone."

Also, I know I'm one of the only people who posts about the Mega Man comics, but man this 2nd Sonic crossover has been just dire.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It more strikes me as an idea that was born from good intention only to get hosed up by shooting too high. "Alright guys, we got a good response to our crossover with game versions of characters, let's do it again with the comic versions of our characters... but we need more than just Mega Man and Sonic, we have sooooo many more characters from all these other licenses we own, so let's use all of them and we'll get an even better response!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So Archie #2: Very good!

The conclusion of the Mega Man/Sonic crossover: Very bad!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kelp Plankton posted:

So what happened with the Sonic/Megaman crossover and why was it bad? I was waiting for it to end before checking it out since the first crossover was pretty fun so how did they screw it up?

I could write way too much but I'll sum it up by saying they tried to do way too much with too few issues. The original worked because it specifically took place in a vacuum where all you needed was a knowledge of the either game series. Sure, Sonic has way too many animal friends and Mega Man has a shitload of Robot Masters making cameo appearances, but if you knew even a little bit about either series, you could grasp what was going on. This also made it easy for a potential new reader to get on board with either comic. The new crossover tries to kind of rehash the original, only they fall into a typical event trap of trying to make every one BIGGER than the next, so this one keeps things "in continuity" as it were, bringing in the non-game cast of the Mega Man and Sonic comics along for the ride. Not an egregious sin, but the character list is already getting stuffed. Then side characters come in, like Mega Man X and all of his crew, and a bunch of Mavericks so Sigma (who is the villain this time) has flunkies to fling at the heroes, and then finally when things are getting really close to the end, somebody remembered that "oh yeah we went and put all these other Sega/Capcom characters on covers didn't we?" and went and introduced so many characters so fast that nobody could possibly give a poo poo about them. By the time Sonic and Mega Man grab the Chaos Emeralds like the last time and end the thing you're just thinking "Finally poo poo makes sense".

Oh wow I ended up writing too much anyway. tl;dr: It tried to do too much and introduced a clusterfuck of characters that killed any momentum before it got started.

edit: oh yeah and spoiler alert the day is saved by none of the like 50 heroes but by one of the Mega Man comic's original villains who causes a time paradox and undoes the whole event. Or, I'll use an appropriate analogy since we're talking about videogame comics and say that the event ends by Sonic '06-ing itself out of existence.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Aug 22, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Who's got the license to Street Fighter comics these days? Surprised they haven't snapped up Mega Man since they've got a working relationship with Capcom.

Also how did Archie's finances get so hosed in the first place by the way? I knew financial woes were the reason Mega Man got the axe, but I never bothered looking up where those financial woes stemmed from.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
No start at the beginning, post here every ten comics or so, I want to see a log of madness.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
lol "Well you didn't sign a contract guess I'm going to straight steal your goddamned work."

Ken Penders is now artistically below a 13-year-old on Deviantart because at least they know it's not cool to steal OCs.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

A competent Lawyer would get this thrown out for the joke it is.

I think it's pretty obvious by now that those are in short supply at Archie. Along with competent accountants I guess, given their recent money troubles.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So Sonic is dead

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/887809496898088960

Scale of 1 to 10 how bad is this for Archie as a whole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

They haven't released a new Sonic comic in like 6 months. They knew this was happening.

Yeah I figured but then like, not even a whole week ago I read something where Archie kept on bullshitting about how they're still negotiating with Sega or something, presumably to avoid having to definitively say they're done.

• Locked thread