Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Boinks posted:

Young Master is ok. Are you sure you didn't see Young Tiger by mistake?

Young Master ends with this hilarious image:

fun fact: this is a real image of Jackie Chan after breaking all hi bones while filming and he got back into it after a short lunch break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

man seeing Michelle Yeoh in Crazy Rich Asians is weird since she doesn't fight, but I want to see her make something new, don't even know if she still has the moves

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

She was showing off her fighting skills only recently in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Sword of Destiny. Please don't take this as a recommendation though, the film is dire to say the least.

I honestly forgot it existed, I just remember reading that it was in the works and now it's 2018 and oh hey it exists

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jimbot posted:

You know one of my favorite aspects of the old kung fu films are the titles. Films just aren't called that any more.

Marksman of the AR-15 at 1000 Yards Easy

doesn't quite put asses in theaters

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Btw, I just finished Five Element Ninjas and its everything this thread promised and more. What an insane thrillride of a movie, Chang Cheh at his absolute best.

Five element ninjas loving owns owns owns. I got to watch a film print at the new Beverly for a Shaw brothers retrospective

The only weak parts were the bad girl ninja who was undercooked and I felt the initial opposing team (the one who got beaten by the good house) were pretty useless. Just getting owned constantly

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/kungfupete/status/1423835996110524417?s=21

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

:smith: RIP Gene Lebell

dude should have choked out Steven Seagal just a little bit longer

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

They're doing a Sammo Hung screening series
https://www.academymuseum.org/en/programs/series/sammo-hung-from-stuntman-to-star
embarassingly have not seen any on the upcoming

any more essential than others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

just saw Eastern Condors. Neat because it's a weird setup: Vietnam war movie made by the Hong Kong film industry? I don't even know where to begin with historicity. Probably doesn't showcase the best of sammo. I'm curious to where the inspiration came up and to be a fly on the wall when they did. Interesting tidbits Deer Hunter was 1978 and EC was 1987, so it's not like there weren't already Nam movies from Hollywood. Platoon came out 1986 and this is complete speculation but I wonder if there was a particular gritty one that struck a nerve. John Woo's A Better Tomorrow came out same year too (I don't know enough about his older stuff).

maybe someone who knows HK film trends better can say if any of this means anything or if I'm just seeing coincidences