Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Deeters posted:

Merge California's weather with New Hampshire's laws (plus lane splitting), and that's a state I'd move to.

Which part of California?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The lane splitting proposal in Washington was garbage.
That aside, doing and/or supporting some good things in the past doesn't absolve the organization from being poo poo in its current form.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I could understand if it was slow leak. It's a gradual change that you don't notice because it's so slow.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I just use a 10 year old car GPS with lifetime maps. I set the destination and vaguely head in its direction, eventually following the GPS directions there.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I wish I had more power when I crashed into the back of that BMW. I could've just sailed over the top with a twist of the wrist.

E: Seriously, though, I've been in waay more situations where it was easier to just slow down or swerve than speed up.

EE: And there are plenty of those situations where I could've been in a better place, thus avoiding any action to begin with.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jun 20, 2017

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yes, but the faster you go, the more friction there is. Eventually, you'll just end up in a flaming ball.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Eventually I'll pass the event horizon of a black hole and send a message to myself in the past via making the bike's tach needle jump in morse code. Alas, this message will not succeed, and I'll wake up in a hospital after five years in a coma. The person I tried to speed through will still be out there, though...

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It's not going to a 650 that's the issue. It's his reasoning that he needs a faster bike to get out of dangerous situations with acceleration.
If you actually read what he wrote, he clearly wants a faster bike to have a faster bike, just under the guise of safety.

From the NHTSA

quote:

Crash Involvement Data shows in 2013 that the most harmful event for 2,448 (51%) of the 4,774 motorcycles involved in fatal crashes was a collision with a motor vehicle in transport.In two-vehicle crashes, 74 percent of the motorcycles involved in motor vehicle traffic crashes were frontal collisions. Only 6 percent were struck in the rear.
Motorcycles are more frequently involved in fatal collisions with fixed objects than other vehicles. In 2013, 22 percent of the motorcycles involved in fatal crashes collided with fixed objects, compared to 18 percent for passenger cars, 14 percent for light trucks, and 4 percent for large trucks. In 2013, there were 2,182 two-vehicle fatal crashes involving a motorcycle and another type of vehicle. In 42 percent (922) of these crashes, the other vehicles were turning left while the motorcycles were going straight, passing, or overtaking other vehicles. Both vehicles were going straight in 456 crashes (21%). Speeding
NHTSA considers a crash to be speeding-related if the driver was charged with a speeding-related offense or if an investigating police officer indicated that racing, driving too fast for conditions, or exceeding the posted speed limit was a contributing factor in the crash. In 2013, 34 percent of all motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes were speeding, compared to 21 percent for passenger car drivers, 18 percent for light-truck drivers, and 8 percent for large-truck drivers.

You're being super loving pedantic by harping on one specific statement. :smug: "are you sure acceleration wouldn't help in any situation, chief?" and ignoring the broader fact- a faster bike, per the stats, would most likely increase the chance of an accident because speed is much more common in causing them, and it's not going to help when someone turns left in front of you.
Riding intelligently is going to go a hell of a lot farther than Sonic gotta go fast!! when it comes to safety.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Coredump posted:

builds character, you realize the person you quoted to make your point got his start on an sv650 right? So to see him go in on someone moving from a ninja 300 to ninja 650 is just lolololol.

I can't understand if you're being willfully dense or not.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 20, 2017

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I think the answer is "yes."

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My SV had a hole in the undertail from the PO overloading the suspension and riding around with the tire burning a hole in it. :haw:

As for my current bike- the PO was a real shithead with headlight & indicator wiring (among other things). Who needs solder and shrink tubing when you can just twist wires and use electrical tape? Let's desnorkel the airbox and gut the exhaust; it's cheaper than an undertail slipon anyway. Bearings? Just wait to replace them after 35,000 miles. No biggie. I could go on!
I'm the only owner of this biek.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I had to change the angle of my license plate after crushing it. (I lived up a hill and often hit it at speed).
Also the fender eliminator kit sort of fell of once. It was cool, though; I later found it on the side of the road. Loctite is your friend.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

On a Hawk GT you

1. remove the axle nut dust cover
2. remove the axle nut
3. there is no step 3

single-sided swingarms own

Fz6: remove rear axle nut with tool provided by Yamaha in the underseat too kit.
Push out rear axle.
Uh, yeah.
I guess you could call putting it up on the center stand a step, if you really wanted to.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My rant is about the traffic staging lights in the HOV lanes. Now that my commute is a ton of freeway, I take the HOV lanes when possible on onramps, and they're often staggered with lights.

Well neither the SV or the Elite will make the light sense I'm there, so if I sit and wait I piss everyone off behind me, and if I blow through the light or even stop, wait and go on red, I get :argh: reactions from other drivers

I can't win in the HOV.

Why what you need is one of them there super magnets that set off the sensors on the light! They totally work and are not snake oil at all no sir!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Coydog posted:

Wait is this really snake oil because I've been insisting for years that I cannot understand how a small magnet 1ft off the ground can do more to trip a sensor than an entire motorbike. People tell me it actually works, though. My DR is the worst at tripping sensors, and I've just gotten used to running reds.

The only people I've seen recommend them are folks who ride bikes that are definitely large enough to trip sensors. Then again YMMV.
I've found that sitting diagonally in the lane has a high successes rate of tripping the sensor.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That just means the banana is almost ripe. Give it a few more days.

E: Put it in a paper bag to ripen it quickly.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

Excuse me, but have you considered: the V-twin is God's preferred engine configuration

Look, a 90 degree V is just an L.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
What are CA's thoughts on the raider?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I ride with the Angel GT and love it, but they don't grip as well as the PR4 in wet or dry. Their advantage is that you can usually squeeze more miles out of them since they're a harder compound. Still great tires, though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Renaissance Robot posted:

On an actual rant: dammit Google why do you keep throwing me bike news results from India? I don't care how many lakh the new Z300 will sell for! :argh:

Did you recently get a fortune cookie telling of exciting adventures in your future??

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
As more rain moves in, people see my motorcycle at work and can't understand how I'm able to ride in the rain.
"Whose bike is that out there??"
"Mine. I commute on it. Don't have a second car or the option to carpool."
"But it's raining it'll get all wet!"

Why do people, even a shitload of riders, think bikes will melt in any amount of moisture?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Renaissance Robot posted:

The moral of this story is I'm the least attentive bike owner and nobody should wave at me :suicide:

Don't worry I don't wave at anyone.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

MomJeans420 posted:

The year is still young, so I'll shoot for 5 batteries this year. I just purchased an OptiMate 5, supposedly people have had luck bringing batteries back to life from as low as 3v, and mine is at 7.5v right now. If nothing else, keeping it on the tender will keep them alive longer as I tend to have a lot of short trips on the bike.

I've flattened a battery once from leaving the key in. I hooked it up to my battery tender and it was fine. Do you own a battery tender? If not, you should buy one and see if it helps your wallet.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Silly biker, that was the battery dieing and slamming the car into park.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
White will always get dingy. Hell, any bright color is like that. Just get a high vis vest and replace it once the yellow or orange wears out.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm the metal mulisha logo on the truck.

What's funny is how you can clearly see everything happen in the slow replay. He went past the balance point (like slavvy said) then hit the tail on the ground and lost control.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Here4DaGangBang posted:

A truck suddenly ran through their living room and killed them.

cyka blyat!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
How do you put in the wrong battery? It's stupid easy to cross-reference the numbers.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Are there no moto shops near you? Every one I've ever been to has it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I was able to find a couple tiny bottles of DOT4, and next to it was 5.1. Totally new to me, is it an even higher boiling point?

AFAIK it's a higher Boling point, yeah. 3, 4, 5.1 are interchangeable. Just make sure to not use 5.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I blocked in a car that would always park in the motorcycle spots at my old job. The car's owner tracked me down and angrily demand that I move my bike.
When I asked them not to park a car in the motorcycle spots, their response was "I own a Harley!"
"Ok? Then park your Harley there."

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Slavvy posted:

Speaking of SOA, having never watched it am I right in blaming it for the recent flood of morons who seem to walk into a shop and walk out with a biker cosplay kit consisting of an all black VROD with real t-bars, a sweatshirt with dumb poo poo on it and red sneakers?

Like not exaggerating I've had five unrelated people get me to work on their bikes who were all first time riders with black tbar vrods and red shoes.

When I worked at Cyclegear, that show was still huge. Lots of people looking for all the badass SOA style biker poo poo.
Literally had someone say "I need some cool riding glasses. A little more Jax Teller, and a little less Dale Earnhardt."
Also a rider wanted the three patch look to go with his new 50cc scoot.
Tried to tell him that was not a great idea since there were various MCs in the area that might not like him. He came back a few days later to exchange his vest because "some angry guys on Harleys tried to run me off the road."

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The road was oily and... Gravel... And wet... You guys!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I question Suzuki's decision to make the front axle on the SV650 require a 12mm hex. Not, say, 17 or 19 that generic front axle tools come in.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That's a funny looking cruiser.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Honey's one weakness- crystallization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Those dastardly Yamaha fairings. Always flying off willy nilly.