Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

funeral home DJ posted:

Sucks about the IMS, I always wanted to go to one and never had the chance.

Mini rant: It's been a real weird experience explaining that yes, the bike I bought is actually called an "Africa Twin", no it's not a racist slang term I gave the bike, it's named that because of this off-road race that goes from France to Senegal (or at least did for a while). No, this isn't the race bike, that's a whole different machine, it's just to honor the original bike.

Man, we really need to get better coverage and awareness of the Dakar in the US, it's a shitload of fun to watch and a hell of a lot better than F1 (fight me).

I don't think greater awareness of of the Dakar rally is going to fix the kind of broke brains it takes to conflate 'referring to the continent of Africa' with 'that's racist'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It heard you talkin' poo poo. Karma To Mechanics.

I'm kidding mate, I hope you're ok, that your wounds are superficial and heal quickly. I hope the bike is thoroughly ruined so that its cursed carcass cannot do any more harm, and that your insurance premiums don't get hosed as a result. At least you get the satisfaction of having killed one even if you took some licks doing it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Later at a wreckers yard...
"Huh, what a weird place to be doing squats... Wait, is he... is he teabagging that motorbike?? Oi! Slavvy! Is that you?!"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TFT dashboards can suck eggs. I have seen way too many reviewers slate a bike because it hasn't got one, and it's ridiculous. Sure it's the hot new thing, and you can't be the hot new thing without the hot new thing! They're loving garbage. How's this for revolutionary: the LCD on my GSX-S can tell me the time, how much fuel is left in the tank, my fuel economy, and a trip meter at the same time! Can the tablet attached to a new BMW do that? No it cannot.
"vell if you select bike info, and..."
Ebebebeb- listen Hans, I ain't scrolling through 4 different trip meters (two coffee break meters? Really?) just to see how much fuel I have left.
"but ze font is so crisp!"
gently caress your crisp fonts Hans. All that screen space and you couldn't put a digital clock in the corner somewhere?
I looked at the one on the Honda my friend rented. It has more useful information displayed by default, that's for sure. Still fuckin sucked though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Tell me more

In addition to trip A and trip B, there's little coffee cup symbol A and little coffee cup symbol B and how far it's been since your last one. How does it know? I have no idea. How do you reset it? I didn't bother to find out.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ulf posted:

Clocks are antithetical to fun rides :colbert:

Just use the sun like croc dundee

I live in Vancouver, dude. I ride to see if this rumored "sun" still exists.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Oops wrong thread for that one!

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 16, 2022

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

I don’t have a link but read an article a while back that was lauding cars that detect when you’ve been on the road too long or are starting to exhibit signs of fatigue via your inputs, i think they referenced coffee breaks in the warnings and i bet it’s something in that vein.

I don't think it's anything so fancy, I'm pretty sure it's still just a manual resettable km counter, which maybe you'd find handy if your fuel stops and rest stops were staggered and wanted to track that for some reason. Now if you were truly living in the future, you could download the BMW MiBi app to your phone which syncs over Bluetooth to the dash, and has a built in fitness tracker that you let's you input what you ate and drank, and even if you don't, the GPS tracker knows at least where, so the next generation F950XRS can be tailor made for people who ride between 200 and 250km between rest breaks and frequent the kinds of establishments at the top of the database, carry a pillion 22-26% of the time, and prefer to piss facing east on sunny afternoons.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This weekend I'm bringing my bike back home from Alberta. I was supposed to do it last weekend, but my own disorganization stymied that, because my friend who I left it with was out of town. So today I have flown to Calgary, only to find out my idiot friend, who, although I love him like a brother, can be as infuriating as he is also disorganized (these often go hand in hand), has misplaced my kriega bag containing the key to my motorcycle. So I have had to fly back to Vancouver to get my spare key, and fly back again to Calgary. I've had to cancel tonight's campsite in Jasper and instead will be riding with him directly to Kamloops tomorrow. It's a good thing I have flight benefits, although ironically, I never would have embarked on this foolish venture in the first place if I didn't. Being stubborn helps too, because hell if I'm going to let a little thing like this stop me.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

epswing posted:

Did you try to hotwire your bike, before taking 2 extra flights?

No point, I need the key to open the gas cap too. The amount of damage I would have caused to the lock cylinders and their replacement would have been way more than the flights.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If you're doing 120km/h into a 40km/h headwind, it feels like you're doing 160. :pseudo:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I just had an idea for goldwing rally, where the co-driver rides pillion and reads the pace notes over intercom.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That's not just whiskey throttle, that's full blown Crown Royal Northern Harvest.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

moxieman posted:

I’d ride a canam with snow tires in the winter. Like a road legal snowmobile.

If you live somewhere with enough snow in the winter and where they don't aggressively salt and plow, chances are snowmobiles are already road legal.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

As long as it opens easily and there's nothing gross inside, I'm down.

Not too easily. You don't want some gaping manhole just sitting there wide open in the middle of the road.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Strife posted:

There's actually an engineering interview question like this that I used to ask: why are manhole covers round? There's two answers to the question that I'm looking for: how someone reacts to something so absurd while wanting to give an answer, and the actual technical reason for it. My rationale is that sometimes you're going to get asked a question in a meeting that you have absolutely no expectation for, so it gauges how well people can think on their feet.

But manhole covers are round because there's no way to orient the lid that it can fall through the hole. Also because 'round' is a lot easier to manufacture than anything else.

I know a guy named Murphy who will take that engineering assertion and jam a round manhole cover halfway down its shaft just to prove a point.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Basically the opposite of my experience yesterday. Although it is a holiday weekend, it's hot out and I started a little later, so I was hoping I missed most of it. I guess it's 30+ degrees cooler on the coast than inland, so nope.

Literally 200ft outside of my garage. I hate Uber drivers, and their COVID absence is sorely missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8JsC2aSYUA

Then about a half dozen people like this who have never driven on a country road before, although this was definitely the worst offender. If I had been in a car I would have been off the road. The following truck probably lives out there and moved over to their side properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYgtqhYTfRg

And then this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym4cvdgdwTA

Yes I know riding on the shoulder is illegal, but I'm not going to sit in a 4 mile long traffic jam in 95 degree ambient air temp when I can safely scoot on by. If there shoulder were narrower, or not there, then so be it, but the only dangerous person is the guy in the car.

Also at the very start of my ride my battery went dead and I had to push start it in this heat wave in full leather :negative:

See, that last guy was being very courteous by leaving a nice wide space to pass him on the left. I hope you gave him a thank you wave!
When filtering in London everyone always splits down the center line, even with the oncoming traffic. The first few times you do it it feels suuuper sketch but after not dying a few times it comes naturally.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I remember splitting down the Gardiner in Toronto one time when I could see the evil eye being given to me in the side view mirror of some kind of luxobarge being driven by a crotchety oldish white dude as he slowly inched closer and closer to the line. My dude, you're in the middle lane, a bus could now filter past you on the other side of your car. Thank you though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The whole thing sounds so loving weird and awkward and I think if it were me I think I'd just say no thanks, grab the keys, gtfo of there and never come back.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

And never ever from a dealer. Still don't know why people go there. None of the reasons given have ever convinced me.

Sometimes they're the only one with bike you want :shrug:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

All motorcycle seats should have a key /quick release mechanism, god drat do I hate digging out a wrench to take out two bolts every single time I want to take the seat off the vanvan. What if I wanted to put my weed in there or something?

I think yours is the first I've ever heard of that doesn't.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

The CBR600RR needs an allen key to remove two hex heads also, it's annoying. They stick them under the padding on the rear of the seat you have to pry back to access.

Yeah I guess if there's quite a few R's in the name they're not going to make it convenient because there's no R's in convenient.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

What's the motorcycle equivalent of a cavalier?

A Buell Blast.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

It’s this.

It was never good to begin with and it’s had 800 PO’s who all ruined it in highly personalized and inscrutable ways

Also meets the "how is this piece of poo poo still running?!" criteria.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Every thing about the 120%, from the font, to the spacing, to the kerning, to the fact that they even managed to lop off the top and bottom of the zero disgusts me to my very core.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

I wonder what acrobatics they’ll go through to resell those gross non Harley trade-ins under a different front.

From the look of the ad, I doubt they thought that far ahead.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 18, 2023

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

RadioPassive posted:

I wonder if they actually expect anyone to take the offer.

Everyone who did the sensible thing and bought a sensible learner bike and has been ridden about being a gay sissy gayboy on his girl bike for sissy gays by his meathead Harley owning friends since he got it.
So quite a few, probably.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The more you ride, the more bikes you ride, the more you realize that dyno numbers and spec sheets are useless for conveying how something feels to ride, and how it makes you feel riding it. "You can't quantify feels!" I hear the engineers shouting. Shove it up your rear end and measure how deep it goes then.
It's the kind of thing that damned some amazing naked naked bikes for being "detuned" compared to their min-maxed chase-the-numbers race bike counterparts. I'd rather have a bike that someone thought about what it's like to actually ride rather than "our bike make biggest number!"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

Yeah I suppose it might be an eye of the beholder thing, I should probably brace myself to be underwhelmed when I ride it. He's all googly eyed over this one, and apparently he'd always wanted a Harley despite owning a dozen or two bikes over the years. He's a capable rider who's ridden mostly Japanese sportbikes and standards, before this his favorite was a VFR around '02 or maybe the superhawk before that, he gets how a bike's supposed to steer, so I figured there must be something to this bike.

See I don't know my bikes or heritage or anything so what I see here is the overly heavy Globe commuter bike I won in a raffle and put a springy brooks saddle on, just a terribly exhausting bicycle to operate, but this has a motor and burns my ankle.

I knew a guy who similarly had ridden so many bikes, and fast bikes, through the years. When I met him, he had a Hayabusa - not stretched or anything -, but he always slagged off Harleys. One day he figured you know what, maybe I ought to give them a try. Next thing you know he's sold his Hayabusa and bought one, and is like "I didnt want one until I rode this one, and I love it". I don't know what model it was. rear end Glide or rear end King or something.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phy posted:

I slept in a hotel last night instead of camping a third night. I was kind of disappointed in myself, but I can also justify it to myself - it was getting towards the evening and deer-o'clock by the time I made the decision, it'd be another hour to the next site, and I'd been rained on in the cold all day, so I didn't want to push myself and get fatigued (or start today still fatigued). Because fatigue kills motorcyclists.

Nothing wrong at all with mixing it up and grabbing a hotel here and there when touring. Camping is a fine way to save some money and maybe do outdoorsy stuff, but it's OK for you to treat yourself to a decent hot shower, and maybe a swim in the pool or soak in the hot tub if it's available.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

This is just my barely informed opinion having done each activity at least once:
Ppl : scuba diving :: gliding : snorkeling
With piloting, there's just a whole lot of logbooking and flight plan filing, pre flight checks, post flight checks, checklists etc, etc. For some people that's half the fun, for others, that would suck any fun out of the other half which is the actual flying. Same goes for scuba. Some people love to be organized and track things.
What's cool about motorcycling is that it can be done just as easily from both approaches. If you're an extremely particular, task oriented spreadsheet maker, you can get off meticulously tracking your maintenance and doing detailed route planning, and if you aren't, you can just check your tires aren't flat and hit the road with a vague destination in mind. Both people will have just as much fun once they're riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Carburetors are like learning long division because you aren't always going to have a calculator in your pocket.