Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I was lucky enough to have access to really good mechanics with my Buell at my Harley dealership.

Sorry things suck at basically every other dealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

There's a guy down the street from me riding a Blast with just an open header. I.... like the way it sounds :ohdear:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

M42 posted:

I've been trying to find something like that for a while, but no luck so far.

Got any friends who work for DoD or are in the military? They might be able to get you on a base to use the hobby shop there.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

That got me thinking, has anyone ever swapped a non-Harley engine into one of their frames?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The only advantage I could think of is getting Harley owners mad.

In my searches, I did find a bunch of people removing EFI for carbs, and one guy asking about putting an 07 motor in a 91 frame. I don't understand the point to those swaps either.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I haven't ridden my bike in over a month from a combination of having a busted ankle and not having fun on most of the roads around here. Today I'm healed up, it's 75 with a beautiful breeze, so I suit up, hit the starter and get the dead battery click. :smith:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Normally I get upset at people who cut through parking lots to try to cut the line into work every morning, but today an AGATT guy with a sweet old FJR was trying to so I let him. Maybe the second or third ATGATT guy I've actually seen at work.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

My dad just called to tell me someone gave him a free Blast, spare motor, and random XB engine parts. He's trying to figure out how to make a silly ice race bike :shepface:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I want him to put knobbies on it and make some sort of hilarious and impractical trail bike. I know he had a V&H full exhaust laying around back when I had my Blast, I wonder if he still does.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Missed Connection: you were riding a Ninja 250 in the bay area. I assume you are the most attractive person ever because you were ATGATT and I couldn't see any details.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It doesn't really matter what the penalty is if the cops don't enforce it. Even if it was a $20 ticket, I bet a lot of people would stop after they got caught.

If I wasn't so lazy, I'd use my GoPro to catch as many people texting as I could, then upload their picture to a twitter/tumblr/whatever blog. Probably not worth the legal battle when someone gets mad at you for putting their picture on the internet though.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've ridden at 45 and been freezing, then worn less gear riding on the ice at 30 and lower and been warm. The real trick is ride hard enough you start to sweat :shepface:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Or the standard ebay seller that lists something with a stock number and pictures, but then sends the wrong part.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I got a bag like this to keep a clear shield in when I think it might be close to dark when I'm riding.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The girl who was putting on make up, but still looking forward, and almost drifts into the car on the side of the road. That right there is the reason we'll get driverless cars.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Make cars safer to the point where we can push someone off the road for texting and they won't be injured.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It's missing the dirt bike that switches between 2 and 4 stroke.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I joined a local Facebook bike group to get some laughs. Already there's post about someone getting cut off and guys talking about how they pull out their gun or knife to get people's attention.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I just found this fantastic shirt in the back of a closet.

Yes, it's a Blast shirt

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Lately I've been having more fun on my mountain bike than my DRZ. As long as it's two wheels, it's good to spend money on it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I don't think that site has updated in a few years. I don't see either of my two latest avatars.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

mrking posted:

I bet you could redline the poo poo out of a buell blast without breaking any laws, but then you're riding a buell blast. The grom might work

The Blast tops out around an indicated 85, downhill. I don't remember hitting redline. It was just like there wasn't any more power.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

RadioPassive posted:

You sure? I remember doing 100 on mine one time in like 2004 on a piece of dead flat perfectly straight road. I don't recommend it, and I never tried again.

It was a long time ago for me too, but this was in CT so I don't really know how flat the highway was.

PhoenixWing posted:

Still pretty disappointed in myself that I didn't choose to dive to the opposing lanes or the exit, but, I panicked and just went into pants making GBS threads brake mode :( How the gently caress do people not see me? I'm on a bright blue bike in shiny reflective gear in the middle of the day, I should be visible from space.

This has been mentioned here before: When you're approaching someone like that, give your bars a little wiggle left and right. The movement of your headlight should catch someone's eye more than you coming straight at them.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I took the Southern heat head on with all mesh gear, moisture-wicking shirt/shorts, and a camel-bak. It's still awful . Up north there were plenty of roads that would disappear out into the woods where it was still somewhat cool, but down here it's all flat and open.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Welp, it's finally happened, Biltwell helmets have made it to the UK. There was a stall selling them at the lovely retro market that hangs off the back of Brick Lane Market like some malignant tumour made of ridiculous facial hair and ill-fitting jeans. 200 quid for a crash helmet that isn't road legal and looks like it never could be (what with not even having a loving visor). And of course they were doing a roaring loving trade.

I'm epxecting to hear of a Cleansing of the Temple type event at a British bike show now.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

There's a few small, one lane roundabouts around me. I still end up stop at the feeders because no one ever signals when they're turning out of them.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Ducati truly is the Harley of Europe

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Every time I see a dealer that closes at 6PM weekdays and all Sunday I wonder if they're interested in doing business with employed people...

It's something I wonder a lot.

Working at the Harley dealer, we were only open past 6 on Thursdays, and I rarely saw anyone past 630. And Sundays are run with a skeleton crew. The owner decided to start opening on Sundays because one customer impulse bought a bike from another dealer.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

My friend just texted me to ask where he could find an Aprilia SVX motor because he wants to build a track car around it. :psyduck:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A go-kart, surely? It's only about 70hp and competition 250cc two-strokes make more than that.

Maybe he means an RSV4 RF motor? 201 hp seems like a good start.

He's thinking a Formula SAE type car, and I think he really means for autocross. FSAE normally allows up to a 600cc engine and most teams obviously pick I4s. He told me that reliability is irrelevant for what he wants to do.

This thing looks fun, I would just rather use an engine I wouldn't have to overhaul after every run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhimaD28JRQ

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Okay, so it's an *awesome* go-kart then.

To answer his question Aprilia do sell crated XV motors (unsurprisingly as it's a competition engine), but he's going to be seriously stomped by anyone running a 600cc I4 and get RSI from shifting it to keep it on the power.

Advise he go properly crazy and look at 250cc two-strokes instead. Even lighter than the XV, more power, and you can buy them already set up for car(t) use.

A few years ago he was trying to design a V8 that used two 250 2-strokes for maximum insanity (I think he actually posted in here asking about them since it was before he got banned). I would be encouraging him if he had the resources to pull this off.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Took me a minute to see it too

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Seriously, every one I look at is in decent cosmetic shape, but mechanically wrecked, or vice versa.

Sounds like you should buy two or three and make one nice one :v:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well I finally found a clean, non-crashed sv with the wiring intact. They do exist!!

I can't remember the last time I saw an SV that wasn't this color blue. Maybe a black one?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Linedance posted:

My experience with alarmed disc locks are they will arbitrarily become alarmed if a passing pigeon gives them a sideways glance. They are not to be trusted, or relied on to be silent when undisturbed and annoying only when agitated.

We stripped the guts out of one and taped them to a guy's chair when I worked at a dealership. The alarm worked very well when he sat down.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I thought I'd run to one of the local Suzuki dealers, about 25 minutes away, to get stuff to change the oil in my DRZ. I gave the guy the part numbers I needed, which seemed to confuse him because he was trying to give me a screw on filter in stead of the o-rings for the filter and cover. They also didn't have the o-rings in stock. I ordered it since I was there already, but drat, next time I'm just buying my stuff online. Would have been the same price with shipping and taken the same amount of time. I guess I need to call ahead for even basic oil change parts.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

When I worked at a dealer, the employee price for getting anything through Parts Unlimited was dealer cost + 10% and that was always under what I could find stuff online for. PU is cheap, and no surprise, a lot of their stuff is junk.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I would be less upset about them not having my o-rings if one of the techs wasn't in the parking lot showing off his DRZ

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

And never take the shortest distance across either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

If I didn't like the AMA's roadside assistance and didn't keep telling myself I'm going to run an AMA sponsored race sometime soon, I would drop my membership. I got nothing for an insurance discount from them.