Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

How high did you bounce when that happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Our only excuse is, we've got a lot of area to cover.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Well yeah, but we get none of that sweet midget blowjobs socialized services.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I don't know... Akion walked half the Appalachian Trail with a broken foot. If he says something is uncomfortable, I'm inclined to believe him.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If you're feeling ballsy, weld on the most restrictive muffler you can find in the dead of night.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

I wish I had a reason to ride more. I live too close to work for it to be worthwhile to commute on the bike, so I don't ride during weekdays unless I have to be somewhere after work (that doesn't involve alcohol).

I'm a weekend warrior. :(

You and me both.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a bus to catch.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I literally can't go south or west without crossing a steel grate deck bridge, and I can't go east because of a huge body of water. You get used to them really quickly. Just don't make any sudden movements.

Whenever it's raining, I have to do some mental juggling -- do I sit in the rain an extra five minutes to avoid the steel grate bridge, or do I just suck it up and take the quick way home?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Two hundred feet or so.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8885784,-87.620479,174m/data=!3m1!1e3

Here's a streetview:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.888491,-87.62049,3a,75y,182.15h,50.13t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sJM9d7cOshG3aRMeIraYTjg!2e0

e. Beaten

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Son of a bitch I think I got popped by a speed camera tonight. Pulled away from an intersection, built some speed to get around a taxi, and then two brilliant world-ending flashes. If Chicago's going to start putting up speed cameras near me, driving a 100hp bike is going to get really old really fast.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

:love: you nsaP

e. leg shatters into a million pieces

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

americanzero4128 posted:

Keeping Chicago Safe :holy:

I'll check and see where the actual camera is. My bus goes past that intersection, and I definitely noticed a "Park Safety Zone - Speed Camera In Use" sign. I'm embarrassed I missed that last night.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Just buy kastein one and he'll obsessively catalog every compatible part and how they work together.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

She could also have had a car bomb. Let's focus on what happened and not what didn't.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Europe. Can't own a handgun, but have fun zipping around in your four n wheeled death conveyance.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I know you can put lowering links on a Ninjette, although as a tall guy I don't see how one could get any shorter.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Phy posted:

I thought those were the fish you put on toast

No, that's Australian for Huntsman Spider.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

M42 posted:

Sheeeeeeit, I forget, where do you live? Cause if it's not in constant-summer-cali, how the fuuuuck did you manage that

I live in the frozen north, and the doorman of my building did 11K miles on a bicycle last year. Some people are crazy dedicated.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

infraboy posted:

I know it's not the only bike that has this but WTF Kawasaki for designing a stupid axle nut that requires a 22mm hex key that I pretty much need to specially order a single hex socket bit to remove it. I do have the motion pro hex axle tool but it doesn't work for removing the nut because it wont insert all the way to to the 22mm section. I know theres ways around it like using a long 22mm nut and wrenching it off but gently caress it. Guess the front dunlop Q3 can wait a couple days.

Buy an appropriately sized lug nut from the auto parts store.

Buy an appropriately sized socket extension from the auto parts store.

Electrical tape them together and congratulate yourself on having saved $Liberia.

clutchpuck posted:

100% Safety Dance

:mad:

That's more like it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I just got back from riding through northern Michigan, and having squeegeed off my visor every hundred miles, there's no way I would have done it without a full face shield. Sooo many huge dead bugs.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Glasses-wearing-nerd supremacy. :smug:

On that note, I'm glad my glasses decided to hold up while I was riding around this weekend. One of the nose pads started falling off the other day, and it finally gave up the ghost tonight. I've got a blob of Sugru curing on there now, but for the time being I'm just squinting.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

You know that literally any optical shop, be it a private one or even Walmart, will replace those for (usually) free, right? I was an optician for around six years and replacing nosepads was probably a good 20% of my job.

Eh. It'd been about three years since my last eye exam and my prescription changed a little bit anyway. This pair is showing their age.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

I don't know if you have a guy you like, but if you have your prescription in hand, you can get tons of glasses from zennioptical.com. I love that place. They do take a couple of weeks, but the most expensive pair I've gotten from them has been under $20. I think I have 5 pairs of glasses now, and this has turned into glasseschat! Yay!

How was your ride around the lake? IDK if you posted a writeup in another thread, but I did see that you passed out in a seedy motel for a while.

I'm gonna keep that link. Thanks.

I haven't written up the trip yet. I need to find a time to sit down and get my thoughts in order.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

loving poo poo loving rain gently caress.

It was dry when I left the office. It only started pouring when I got on the stop-and-go traffic interstate. Fortunately, I had the foresight to put my phone in a waterproof pocket beforehand.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

visor down -> glasses fog
visor up -> glasses get wet

Perf boots turn into a loving swamp no matter what. Waterproof overpants only waterproof in the loosest of senses. GoreTex jacket actually worked okay.

e. It was raining hard enough that it stung at 30. Riding in heavy rain is a completely different dynamic.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

MoraleHazard posted:

The glasses thing sucks so hard. Can you wear contacts? Contacts + a breath box has done wonders for me in the rain. As long as I'm moving, no fog on the visor and no glasses to worry about. Also, you are right about riding in heavy rain being a completely different dynamic.

Yeah, no can do on the contact lens front. I've been tossing around the idea of getting some cheap clear-lens safety glasses made, treating them with Rain-X, and then keeping them on my bike for just such an occasion.

I'd also be down for a private facebook group.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

"Running from the police? How rude!"

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Olympia is all about textile gear, but they're cut pretty generously.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Why are Prius drivers always so oblivious to everything around them?

Gotta focus on them Empeegees.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

M42 posted:

I've been trying to find something like that for a while, but no luck so far.

Likewise, check and see if HacDC could work for you.
http://www.hacdc.org/

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

adary posted:

You definitely won't be able to read the note since it's in Hebrew.

I did get the right guy since he knocked on my door an hour ago and started raging. Hist first like was: I let your air out as a warning and you slash my loving tires? I didn't do damage to your bike blah blah blah I will call police blah blah blah. I just slammed the door in his face (hopefully it hit him since i have this very nice steel security door).

I hope you put your bike somewhere he can't get to it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

I bet the Buell frame could be slimmer if it didn't need to hold 5 gallons of fuel.

Yours holds five gallons? My holds a goddamn thimbleful.