Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So I'm shopping for my first bike and what I seem to find a lot in the description is "tipped/dropped/crashed by previous owner". Previous owner. Right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm hoping to be a motorcycle owner by next week if all goes well so I can enjoy this:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Just when you're getting bored with the man, he hits you with this juke :lol:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Fair enough.

Tangential remark: if you are storing your bikes outside, you should try to chain them to something solid (even a $50 scooter).

I forget which one of these CA threads this was in, but someone had a scooter just sitting out back with a paper sign "please don't steal" for several years and that seemed to work.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm not really inclined to share that I just bought a motorcycle except with goons and a couple people who I know also ride because I don't want the lectures.

As a contrast i've been road cycling (MTB too, including competing at a high level) for over a decade and very seldom do people bring up the safety thing when they find out I'm a cyclist.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

When I worked in a bicycle shop I occasionally would have this conversation with customers about how dangerous riding a bicycle is in Arizona statistics wise. When I point out that we have year round riding, that we are a destination for cycling vacations and that our average rider age is... ancient, of course we will have higher absolute numbers than Montana.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

So i went poking around and it looks like it's the "cheapest" air bag vest on the face of it and you can either buy a subscription for 12/m forever and have warranty services for life OR for $400 your vest just works and you have 2 years of warranty. It's nice they give you the option, so the real cost is $800, but tbe other big kicker to me are the reloading cans are $100 each. gently caress that.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Europeans are buying suvs by the shipload too nowadays. They have obviously seen the error of their ways.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Nah it's mostly Nissan quashqai and some Renault thing.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

People on facebook marketplace are impossible sometimes:
*alpinestars jacket* *insert one crappy picture and nary a description*
me: can you send me a few other photos of the jacket and specifically the size/info tag on the inside of the jacket?
them: yes it's available
me: cool, can you send me those pics when you get a chance?
them: are you local?
me: yes, but before i drive over i'd like to know exactly what model it is as A* make a ton of different jackets
them: i got this last year but i sold my bike and wore it only a few times

:kingsley:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Designed by a computer. That hates humans

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Magna Carta V65 Custom

New forum title?

I snagged a revit quantum jacket for a good price on closeout, but finding pants to go with it has been a chore due to a lot of things being out of stock. Guess I'll have to go with a different brand and get a zipper stitched on or something.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I rode my bicycle downtown for a slice last night and hooooly poo poo there are a lot of annoying parts of the motorcycle community in my town. One bar had 30+ bikes in the parking lot taking turns revving their engines for uhh fun i guess. The pizza shop is on the main downtown road and people were doing loops (it's a one way) just to braaap their throttles. Both cruisers and sport bikes (more cruisers though).

I hate it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I really like the look of the cb650r, is that also a boring honda?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

lol

As an occasional mountain biker, i am annoyed with horse people because they act like they own the trail and I've NEVER heard of any horse owners group doing trail building or maintenance.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

In case of emergency, break the glass.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Hopefully plastics aren't horribly expensive.

Man all these stolen bikes posts making me think of upping my insurance to full coverage.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

My full coverage is only like $100/year. Collision is what’s expensive.

I wonder if that damage would be covered under full coverage because it was a result of theft attempt? I could see it going either way.

edit: spelling!

The jump to comprehensive that would cover theft is 85 -> 450 for me. I'm hoping after 1 year of riding that will go down.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Strife posted:

:stare: That seems like the insurance company's way of letting you know your bike is absolutely going to get stolen and they'd have to pay for it.

It's not just theft though, it's replacement if I crash it etc and it being a 2021 and me a new rider, I guess I'm not surprised.

vvvvvvvv

Edit: you're right I'm getting my terms mixed up, but I think how it worked is you couldn't separate collision and comprehensive or something weird. Might just be my insurance because USAA contracts it out to geico in my state

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 8, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

I paid four times that for liability alone on the gixxer

:(

What the what?!?!

How many people just ride uninsured where you live if rates are that insane?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Only if it's a bicycle.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Why don't you go faster than the cars...?

I always feel like I'm speeding, but there are usually cars passing me, especially on the highway here (75mph limit, but real pace is like 80-85). I just don't want to go that fast sometimes especially between big 18 wheelers.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

To be honest passing semis/box trucks/HGVs is the one time I think speeding is totally appropriate and worth the risk of getting pulled over. I think if you sped up, passed, then slowed back down to the pace of traffic, you'd just be having some bad luck if a cop wanted to ticket you over it.

I agree, if it's clear ahead I'll wring the lil mt03 for all it's got to get away from semis. My local situation on the 17 is it's a divided interstate with two lanes on each side with a ton of semi traffic so often several semis just get stacked up in both lanes offset and create a rolling block. And cars love to tail gate semis because car drivers have poor risk management I guess. So I just slow down to get a pocket of empty highway around me as much as I can not filled with steel boxes.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Throw some tegaderm on that since it's a high contact area. It's a pricy "bandage" but so worth it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You can! If you're logged in, you click the 3 little dots under the thumbnail and select "do not recommend channel".

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Here's the release/news blurb:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220105005466/en/

quote:

CoPilot – 360˚ advanced warning system that uses radar, cameras and non-visual sensors to track the speed, direction and velocity of up to 64 moving objects around the motorcycle for unparalleled situational awareness

Curious how huge of a gimmick this is. Not a lot of details anywhere.

I can't find the weight listed anywhere either, probably not advertising it for obvious reasons with a 20kwh battery on-board. Can't be less than 600lb.

Edit;

After watching their YouTube ad, the best thing I like that would be cool is the rear facing camera turning on in your dash when you're coming to a stop. Granted my 30 dollar mirror does the same thing.

The second cool thing that could be integrated from all those sensors is a rough sonar map of cars behind to the side of you. Garmin has something like this with their Varia system for bicycles that alerts you as a car passing by you (via dots on your garmin).

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 6, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I punched a man in Cali just to watch him cry

New thread title imo.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Holy poo poo communicating with a dealer through their sales email is loving painful, what the hell. I wrote a concise email for a motorcycle they have listed... "confirm if this is what you're interested in blah blah canned robot email probably", email them back... yes and i want to communicate over email. Get a response... "we couldn't reach you on the phone", the proceed to ask me several questions answered in the prior two emails. :argh:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Wait till you try to buy a house. Estate agents are even worse.

My realtor was super duper, she was loving ON IT. And right now, in the US, you can't be dicking around as houses are selling day 1 or before even coming onto the market (although cooling down now since rates are going up a little). I was literally refreshing the MLS website daily to see if any new houses appeared and had to go see it same day, then submit an offer and hope you don't get outbid by a cash offer from an investor/bank assholes. 3rd time was the charm finally :f5:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Awww bummer, that would have been very cool.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

All motorcycle racing is better than F1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJRMQ8Yskw

The fact that racing happens in F1 is largely an accident on the side.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Rest up and heal up. Hope the customer puts that thing to death.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

"I can't hear you i have earplugs in" *braaaaps away*

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Balls and skeletons.

Not the worst wedding theme.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ride it into your living room in protest.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Gauntlets or bust.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

do bikers still do the thing where they pull over at the RI state line to take their helmets off, then do the same but to put them back on again when they're coming back from Providence or wherever

The strange thing about this is that the easiest way to carry a helmet is on your head. Safety aside.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The tiny MT3 managed 95 indicated (I assume this is 90mph real speed) with my giant self on it, took a while to get there, but felt fairly comfortable as much as you can say that getting wind blasted. But not willing to try it often because anything going wrong at that speed and the mechanisms for injury are not pretty.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What’s the gap between a stock R1 and Toprak’s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ah yes, America’s favorite road infrastructure. loving paint.