Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

High Protein posted:

Wow you've got the Buell branded GPS :worship:
And as can be seen in the photo, it works about as well as the rest of the Buell electrics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Isn't that one of the Buell frames where the fuel tank is the frame and it's aluminum and people buy special sliders for them to protect them because it's disasterous if you drop it?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I solve the bicycling deathtrap problem by not riding bicycles :smug:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So why do modern European men's jackets have reversed zippers? Did euros all change after 1776 because they were mad at us?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Lynza posted:

I've had some interesting conversations with other bike people lately. I continue to be amazed at how few people give any fucks whatsoever about safety. Asking about my jacket, which wasn't hideously expensive, is mesh, and will protect me pretty well in a crash, they're like "OMG HOW CAN YOU SPEND SO MUCH MONEY!"
Related, we were talking at the shop today about how many customers are fairly upset when their bike needs anything done to it. How many people out there believe they can own a motor vehicle for reliable transportation and should not have to spend anything at all on it ever to maintain it. Do they never go to the dentist and then get angry when their teeth hurt all the time too?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Our shop is closed Sun/Mon like almost every other shop in the area. We've often talked about being open Sunday. Always decided it wouldn't work for us, for various reasons. One is that anybody working at the shop with a family needs at least one standard weekend day or you never get time with your family.

Another is that most of the people who come in the shop on the weekends are just time-wasters. Maybe if we sold more retail items it could work, dunno. But people don't bring bikes in for work on the weekends as much, they just look around and talk your ear off, preventing you from getting billable hours.

And the [surprisingly rare] cases of travelers needing help are often dickheads. I don't know why, but people who break down on a trip seem more than 50% likely to be demanding whiners who don't want to pay you for your time even though you're doing them a favor by working on their poo poo when you've already got a 2 week backlog.

And people get genuinely pissed if you're not open on normal weekdays. It's generally assumed all businesses are open during the week, Mondays cause enough problems, taking Tuesdays off too would be a bit much I think. Maybe a larger shop could do it, with enough people to do different shifts. We've only got 4 tops on any given day, and the way that works in this business is that only about 2.5-3 of those people will be able to do any work all day long.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

For reals though the suspension is the best part of a Buell. On paper they may have middling Showa components, but Erik really knows how to set up a bike that can handle. My SV650-riding friend's first words coming off my Uly for the first time was "so that's what a suspension is like".
Every Buell I've ridden (never rode the rotax ones) felt like it was so close to being a fantastic bike. But didn't quite make it. And the drivetrain was part of the problem.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

RadioPassive posted:

How hard is it to put a new engine/drivetrain in a Buell frame?
Pretty major engineering job. I can see it being great with a large air cooled Ducati engine or something though.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The V-rod motors have a massive top end compared to the air cooled ones in the Buells, I don't see that working well.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Marxalot posted:

This is going to end with him blowing up your house and blaming Hamas.

n8r posted:

Maybe you should dig a tunnel into his yard...

nsaP posted:

Is anyone surprised that he saw that as a proportional response?
No one else seems to have gotten these so I just wanted to say that I get these and I'm laughing my goddamn rear end off.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I had the most boring near death experience the other day. I was out riding the other day and a truck passed a semi in the oncoming lane and I had to ride off my lane into the shoulder so as to not die. But I saw it coming, it was a long straight road, and I did it slowly and watched him go by and it wasn't even a close call and I didn't even flip him off or throw a chain at him. No biggie.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Akion posted:

The ones where you see it coming are always interesting to me. It's like you are sitting there going "They aren't really... are they? Nooo, nobody is that du... god dammit."
Truck driver actually waved at me as if to say "thanks" when I pulled off the road so as not to die on his hood.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MoraleHazard posted:

Until the day the BMW god of mechanical failure, Torx, decides to eat your shaft splines. :smith:
The splines don't go out unless you ride it 200k miles without greasing them. The final drive bearings go out, depending on the model, though.

quote:

Also, re: extended vacation / retirement chat, I think a two-three week road trip would be the max for me.
I did a 3 week bike trip once, by the end of it I was getting fairly tired of packing and unpacking everything I owned every day. It felt more an adventure than a vacation, I needed to relax and do nothing for a bit once it was done.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
What the gently caress is it with people and fairings? I can't count how many times over the last couple years I've had people come into the shop and look at, for example, a 1980 BMW R100RT, and say "can you remove that fairing?" Why does every dumb gently caress now think he'll make everything cooler by making it naked? Almost none of these people say that when it's a genuinely ugly or lovely fairing like a Windjammer or something, either. That R100RT for example, while not pretty like a vintage MV Agusta, is one of the best touring bikes ever made. What the gently caress do you imagine it'll look or work like when you remove the part that makes it the best? Do these people remove bumpers and hoods from all their cars just for the CLEAN VINTAGE look? loving dimwitted assholes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

n8r posted:

Looks lovely FYI.

Looks like a Triumph Triple. In other words, lovely.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

(excel maintenance logs crew :respek:)
Once again we see how elitist EX250 owners are. Notepad.exe works fine for us normal humans.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
There's a forum section on craigslist?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Not sarcastic and offensive enough. 3/5 stars.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
As a Ducati ST owner :smug:, I thought those were real girls for a second.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Teacher at MMI who liked to tell slightly implausible stories, big guy, said he once came out of a bar to find a guy sitting on his BMW and rocking it back and forth on the centerstand. Went over and did the "hey nice bike, it yours?" and etc. I forget all of the story but the guy gets off and he's like "ok man I know you're pissed and you can hit me if you want to..." and the teacher decked him in the face right there. Bouncer from the bar comes over to see what's going on and teacher puts his hands up and said "this guy was sitting on my bike rocking it around and I thought he was tryina steal it" and the guy doesn't deny it and the bouncer is like "man you got lucky" and walks off. Probably all made up but I enjoyed it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Lynza posted:

Yeah, I mean, I guess if you're one of those bandanna+brain bucket guys who wear as little as possible, 45F is cold.
I've actually seen a number of those guys riding around in 38 degree weather with a vest and a half helmet. They usually improvise something with a ski mask and a bandanna and maybe Carhartt pants, but still no real gear. It's amazing how committed they are. You could buy a cheap full face for $70 and save yourself so much discomfort. But that would be to CUT AND RUN in the face of nanny-state Euro-sissyism.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Lynza posted:

I was kinda worried I was going to get the same type of treatment I get when I go into a wood store (Woodcrafters in Portland, I'm looking at you, you loving bearded hipster pricks) where they look at a man (if I'm with one) and ask him questions instead of me.
Is there nothing these people will not ruin? Even wood? Wood???

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So you're not a Rainbro then?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

nsaP posted:

I gotcha. Wrong part.
Yeah so it's an off-brand repro that doesn't fit. So why would you call it 'correct'? Or were those just ironic scare quotes?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

3 of my riding bros have now taken delivery of R1200GSes. Ugh.

"Hey, I bet my engine is narrower than your 1150's! Let's measure them!"

:ughh:
Which 1200? Hex head? DOHC? Water?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Isolationist posted:

I've done 20,000k's with my full face, and I reckon I've put my visor down only a couple of times (heavy rain). As long as you're wearing eye protection and don't mind a massive bug to the face occasionally, feels good man!
I assume you mean sunglasses. Have you ridden much without them? I used to wear sunglasses almost all the time under the helmet and now that I switched to tinted visors I'm amazed how much nicer it feels with the extra room and visibility in the helmet.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

"You sure do!"

I'm kind of disappointed that the r9t has tubes; I thought bmw would've used their bling tubeless spoked wheels so you can put sporty tyres on.
Only the top level GS bikes are allowed such wheels. If you don't have a top level GS bike you are a lesser man and BMW wants you to know it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Does that mean this thread has peaked? Don't all threads reach "I CAN'T STOP making GBS threads" at their peak?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I work on Piaggios, Vespas, Guzzis and Aprilias fairly often, though mostly the scooters. They're the most annoying brand to work on and get parts for, all of them. They're all badly engineered, badly manufactured and they distribute parts poorly. Our local market lost its Aprilia and Vespa dealers recently. I sent in an application for an Aprilia franchise for our shop, not really being serious about it because our shop is probably not big enough to support the brand, but I was curious what their demands would be. I went through the motions on the application, though, and they didn't even do the courtesy of saying "no." No response at all.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Coredump posted:

Have you ever worked on one of the Piaggio BV 350's? I was looking at one sorta serious there for a while and wondered what you thought of them.
Don't think so. If the engine is in any way related to the GT Vespas, it's a nice ride, but tends to blow head gaskets.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
This is sad on so many levels.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Harley wheels are great if you don't like being able to lift a wheel to put it on a tire machine and change a tire. If not being able to lift a wheel is your thing, I mean. It's not my thing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
They would never have this discussion on reddit so I'm ok with it here.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I kinda knew a girl who named her bike Carter. But it was Cart-her. Because the bike carted her around. And it was a KLR, one of the most personality-less bikes ever.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Guy I know up here lane splits sometimes if there's heavy traffic (there rarely is here) and he's had some people pull out of traffic toward him which is kinda crazy cause drivers in this state are polite to the point of being annoying. People lose their poo poo about bikes doing weird things.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1-digital-multimeter-98674.html

PRO LEVEL harbor freight multimeter

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

clutchpuck posted:

LOL my wife's beemer. It's a 2002 R model so it has some bullshit 4-cable throttle and choke setup or something. And it's really sticky right now, hard to pull open. Cables are like $100 each. Here's hoping it's just fallen off a guide in the handlebar housing or something. She also needs a new rear brake rotor and pads all around for another $450. Nothing is cheap on this bike and she waited until 3 weeks before our big summer Sturgis trip to start paying attention to it so not only are we left scrambling to get parts in and make it ready, the budget I thought we had set aside for the trip is being eaten into by unexpected expenses.
Are you getting afternarket pads and rotor? There should be some options for those, don't need to go OEM. Also I don't see cables blown out on bikes that age too often, has it spent a lot of time outdoors or something?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You guys who actually pay attention to what's working on your bike have no clue how many people have a serious problem with it, or just don't care and happily refuse the work, when you tell them there's a broken thing on their bike they should fix.

As someone who works on a lot of old bikes and bikes not owned by particularly well-off people, this can really distort your view of problems on bikes. Maybe half the bikes that come to us have "just ignore that, I'll fix that at home" items on them, all of which are very unique and very specific and probably can't really be ignored because issues often overlap. And if you have to fix something the dude didn't want fixed or if you misinterpret the instructions and fix something the dude didn't want fixed you've got a major customer issue instead of a bike issue. I can understand why many dealers refuse to work on anything over 10 years old because of complications like that.

I remember reading a FAQ on a vintage watch repair company's site, and it looked like it was written by a total Nazi. If your watch was touched by any local jeweler we won't repair it, if you tried to fix your watch at home we won't repair it, if there's any water damage we won't repair it, if you want us to fix anything less than the entire watch and every single issue on it we won't repair it, if you need it done quickly we won't repair it. I was envious, this seemed like a much more reasonable way to do work. No loving around, make it perfect or don't bother. But sadly, a huge number of people in the world want to gently caress around.

But I agree that someone who does race work is a good bet if you want attention to detail, because when you're racing you can't gently caress around at all or something really bad will happen.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
M42 is a loose cannon just like Slavvy and will probably get arrested soon for riding a red dirt bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah there is such a thing as bogus cashiers checks. And the way banks handle them is atrocious. Banks are filthy backwards institutions run by filthy backwards people.