Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

German perverts.
You mean Piaggio Group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Microinfractions of a Hapless Spandex Fuckboy

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Guy I worked with had an 848 with a plastic tank with some kind of cream colored liner in it, apparently applied at factory or dealer or something. I'm only familiar with one tank liner that is that color, it's called Kreem and it's not designed to adhere to plastic as far as I know. And this liner was either applied slightly wrong (it was applied on top of rubber vent lines inside the tank, which would make it impossible to ever repair those rubber lines if they have issues, AND was not covering all surfaces) or was peeling off and caused a leak. Why not just make a plastic that is alcohol-resistant? Doesn't the entirety of the American continent use varying degrees of ethanol? I'm not saying I like it but it's not a fringe thing.
But look at all the grams of weight savings!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

TheBacon posted:

That is one of the most beautiful bikes ever made, I am jealous.

Agreed. Yuns, how many miles you got on it? What do you think of it? I've dreamed of one of those for a while but I can't help imagining it wouldn't be THAT awesome to own and would be difficult to maintain even for someone with experience on Italian bikes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
60Nm? Isn't that like an M8?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Are you accusing KTM AG of dubious parts sourcing, such as ByBre brakes?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Working on the bikes is fun and easy even when they're orange
Whoa whoa hold on

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm gonna wheelie down the road less traveled here and say that design on the tank is kinda good

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

I didn't get a pic but the edging of the decal is very badly done by hand with a paint brush and alloy silver paint.
So this guy put in the effort of finding a small paint brush and some paint which wasn't flat black or bedliner. You're trying to put him down but he's actually the intellectual elite of the bike customizers.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Hey Slavvy
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1078760/Motorcycle_Mechanic_Simulator_2021/

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Also:

Way of life!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Problem is that's not a Motorcycle Mechanic Simulator, the title is false, it's an OCC simulator. I don't think Slavvy or I have experience OCCing. The verb "to OCC" describes the act of expressing poor aesthetic taste in the choice of parts ordered from a catalog

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

I have a modified b12 and every time I look at it I get an enormous sense of ennui :suzuki: like yeah they're the bike you should get but I don't recall ever really wanting one the way I want/wanted a ZRX or VFR400.
I really want something that revs to 19k, did you say you owned a CBR250RR once?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
This sounds like a textbook case of why race schools are required before racing. He did a race school, discovered that riding around on a track is outside his comfort zone, didn't complete the school, went home and admitted as much on Facebook. Everybody wins!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

If you absolutely have to have one the Yamaha fzr250 is my pick,
But the CBR revs to 19k

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Not 30? Sad!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'll play devil's advocate here and say that if that's really him, he's clearly got SOME skill in riding.

Which makes me wonder what kind of problem he had with puddles. I did my race school in pouring rain and had no trouble. Didn't enjoy it but all you have to do is follow the guy around and that's it you pass. But I'm not an engineer, I'll admit. I also did ask Red Bull to sponsor me and they didn't. I said nothing impolite about them on Facebook. I'm playing the subtle long game, I'll show them some day, they'll see.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Not sure I understand the topic discussed here but it sounds like he's making up words to describe types of sidecars? Upright downlow and enclosed?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Kafka once wrote, "In the struggle between yourself and the world, take the side of the world"
Looks like this guy took the other side

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Gonna play devil's advocate again: Dominion or Death would be a pretty sick thing to stencil spraypaint on a rhino-lined naked gixxer

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The pet that he left there to live as a stray animal outdoors on race track grounds for 2 weeks

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

LodeRunner posted:

(Premium) Carbon Edition Strike
I must say this sounds like a fairly sick name for a bike on which one might paint the even more sick motto "Dominion or Death"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I feel like the more I work on bikes the more I'm becoming an optimist. I've seen such stupid poo poo, this actually looks decent to me. He understood what that castellated nut and axle hole were for, and he installed something that would work. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve disdain, but I don't think he does deserve disdain.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

I hope he burns himself to death trying to fix it.
Having worked on a lot of Chinese scooters, I regret to tell you that I've never seen one catch fire

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

An average gas pump dispensing about 7 gallons a minute is "charging" your vehicle at a rate of ~15 megawatts.
Cycle Asylum 2021: I loving love gasoline

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I know the answer to this complaint is obvious -- namely, don't read reddit -- but it still after years surprises me the depth of misinformation and intensity of dunning-krugering going on there. I'm referring to the motorcycle reddits of course. Maybe I'm experiencing confirmation bias and I'm just seeing the obnoxious posts and comments. But it feels to me like the majority of questions asked make huge false assumptions, and misrepresent situations, and the majority of responses recommend completely unrealistic actions.

Currently there's a question about a fuse blowing on an "82 CB750" which includes a video of a subframe which is clearly not remotely close to being an 82 CB750, and shows entirely homemade electrics and electronics. Nothing in the video frame is Honda. Also it is unclear whether it shows a fuse blowing to me. None of this is explained in the post.

It's always poo poo like "how do I replace this jet that's stuck in the carb with a bigger jet" and only after multiple people asking follow up questions does it come out that there's a fuel leak from the gas tank or it's hard to start because the battery is half dead so spark is intermittent and none of it has anything to do with the carburetor.

Or, bike isn't running quite right, and it's an 85 Magna, and someone recommends completely disassembling the carbs, removing them from the racks, replacing the air box with pod filters, all on some of the most difficult carbs to work on ever made on a production bike.

I routinely see posts that I have the knowledge to respond to but it's instantly clear that it would take me pages and pages of typing to explain how completely wrong everything already posted was. I feel like a lazy dick just ignoring requests for help, but goddamn.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Gorson posted:

30 km/h is 18mph. I'd ride a pushbike before that , anything below 30mph is painful.
Holy christ I didn't catch that it was km. A literal moped is literally faster. Get a Tomos, loser.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Is that for real? Tesla autopilots are known to cross double yellows? How has Tesla not been sued or regulated out of business for such a homicidal software failure? That's like spectacularly bad

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I have to say, in my part of America, the cops mostly ignore bikers. You can get away with an awful lot if you're not being wildly dangerous to other people. Especially since the pandemic. I see routinely see people riding around doing wheelies with no helmet and no license plate now.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Extra offensive that the local news adopts that language

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I thought it looked a bit "clean" for a lean problem, the rest of the piston aside from that hole looks almost ok. Was it supposed to be an NGK H length plug and they put an E length? On a tiny cylinder like that, it might raise the compression a bit too.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Disappointed there weren't skulls on the balls.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We did that once with a Buddy 50. Had one legit problem with it that we fixed under warranty but the lady reported constant problems starting it which never showed up at the shop. Sold it to someone else and it’s been in reliable service for a couple years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
We're working on a CB550 that has totally shot swingarm bushings in it now at the shop. I was just thinking the other day how if the designers had any intention that the bike last 45 years they might have used bearings instead of bushings or at least put some seals on the bushings to keep dust and rust and crap from getting into the grease and eating themselves. I'm sure nobody involved in that design was thinking beyond 5-10 years though. Now I'm imagining that sort of design and manufacturing dynamic with loving TFTs.