Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My Rex with the aftermarket (catless, but it was catless stock too, sorry chief) exhaust is quieter - for me - than the Weestrom was

It may be different for people behind me. But it's also obviously not an open pipe or anything dumb like that. My brother's first bike was a z750 with a farmer-rear end slipon with the baffles removed and it was loving obnoxious for both me and him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
K&N filter, bruh! Gotta keep it oiled!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Drain it of its fluids first, and turn them in at your nearest fire hall, along with the battery, lest you contaminate the soil or water table, Jesus Christ

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

Craigslist is old hat get on fb marketplace or I used to love newenough but can’t remember what they rebranded too. Sorry I’m a fraud I paddle more than I ride now

If you google "newenough" like an old, the first link is whatever they call themselves now

E: but I'm not sure if they still sell used stuff

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm still obscurely delighted that they made it almost all the way around the world and then their only motorcycle accidents were in Calgary

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I get very frustrated with bs hipster bike videos. Remember that insanely douchey “why we ride” movie that was hyped to hell and back?

It bugs me that so many movies try to pin the reason for enjoying motorcycles on some transcendent higher level galaxy brain thing when that’s not it at all.

People ride because they like to or have to. Quit trying to assign mysticism and lore where there isn’t any

OK so here's how it is at least for me

I am not good at motorcycle and maybe never will be, but when I hit a good enough chain of turns with just enough skill to not notice how fuckin awful I am, it's like the bike disappears and my body disappears and there's just a point moving along a complicated curve

And like I know that's basically just flow state but it's still real exciting to have been in

And then if it's slab or something and I'm bored and achy it's still nice to look around and be in the scenery, and if the sun is low enough I can look over at my shadow and dang that guy looks p cool

If that's waxing mystical, I'm sorry

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I shoveled my sidewalk again today

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you're serious, the last time I heard about it, scientists were starting to think the virus could travel in airborne aerosols and not just the heavier droplets. Helmets will keep the bulk of your disease-filled spit droplets inside, but some will exit out the bottom, and so will aerosols.

They will not stop you from inhaling other people's disease-filled droplets. At best they might make the droplet path more tortuous and less likely to find its way to your mucosa. And if the aerosol thing is true they won't help a bit.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hit a patch of dust in a corner on my way to work this morning (I'm guessing it was dust, since all it registered as, was a lighter patch on the pavement as I went over it) and felt the front kick out to the left. I got real wobbly for a second and I felt my right foot drop to "save it". No foot contact, and the bike stayed up, but between this and the ladder incident I'm having a real sloppy year and I'm kinda mad at myself about it. Gotta start getting more sleep, and maybe reread Proficient Motorcycling and do some practicing. Really, really wish we had a track yet that I didn't have to drive four hours to get to.

e: took that corner really gingerly this morning, too

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 31, 2020

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
When I did the Rex's carbs there was a little gunk in the bowls but nothing like that, jesus christ

my days of filling up with shell premium cause it's non-ethanol are certainly coming to a middle

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
1. If anyone ever asks about it, I tell them my Rex is named Yoshi, because it's green, fast, and a dinosaur. (Would be even better if it had a Yosh can instead of the Over Racing one but I'm not buying a new exhaust for a joke)

2. A dude in a truck gave me a thumbs up in traffic today, and then the ok sign. I had my sunvisor down so it's p unlikely he meant it as a white supremacy thing unless he saw the tiny little crescent of honkey flesh, but it still gave me pause

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Roo leather is supposed to have higher abrasion/tearing resistance than cow, for a given thickness of leather. I suppose if you had stuff made of roo at the same thickness as cow, you could slide a lot farther before sanding through it. But I think it's used more to provide equivalent performance in a lighter more flexible garment.

Think of it like the difference between aluminum or titanium and steel. (Without the drawbacks of those, like aluminum's lack of a fatigue limit or how hard Ti is to work.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I assume the existential terror of being either on or below the Gardiner has to add to the thrill factor

Is this the year the road collapses out from under me? Will I have a chunk of spalled concrete drill me in the cranium? Who knows! Life is cheap, hail Satan!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RDfJXAhs_4

I was too busy thinking "wow gently caress that guy" and didn't see the second guy coming up to pass me in my own goddamn lane.

I know, I know, normal people don't get into fistfights on motorcycles, but when someone passes me in my lane, there's a part of me that's thinking

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Today in Phy Learns: Birds doing weird things on the sidewalk are not a valid reason to pay less attention to the road. Grabbed too much brake to avoid pasting myself on the back of a box truck that was slowing down more than I expected, and I felt the tires going in directions I'd rather they not. Ultimately, the bike stayed upright and unpasted, but it was a near miss to be sure.

This is maybe the first time I've really felt a desire to have ABS. Despite doing the occasional set of panic-brake practice runs, I still get grabby when I'm genuinely startled.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

At the same time you didn't crash so you did something right. It sounds like one of those situations where you wouldn't have needed to use your skill if you had used more judgement, but you can't always depend on judgement keeping you out of the poo poo no matter how careful you are so it's best to have some skill too.

This was essentially my takeaway overall and why I opened with "birds are not a reason to divert your attention". Yes, it's not great that my muscle memory says "GRAB BREAK LIKE IT OWS U MONEY", but the chief failure today was allowing myself to get into a situation where I needed to test that. ABS makes it harder to lock the brake in a panic situation, but it can't watch the road for you. But it does help with locking the brake. Which is why, if my next bike isn't an imported DAEG, it'll have ABS.

But hopefully that's a lot of years in the future.

e: I will allow that the same muscle memory that went "GRAB BREAK" also noticed what was happening and got the wheels to recover in a reasonably controlled fashion. My body isn't a total idiot, but as always, it needs work. Ok that I recovered it and didn't ride myself into a lowside, better if I hadn't locked any brakes, best if I hadn't needed to brake hard at all.

Phy fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 1, 2020

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mainly posted about this to try and shame myself into being better about that lol. This year's been not great for me in terms of keeping my brain ahead of my wheels and it's led to other near misses as well.

But it's funny what you can pick up. I never got into the habit of watching drivers' heads - kind of pointless when so many cars have window tint now, I feel - but I can often tell when someone is about to change lanes just by how close they're edging to the line. This is entirely divorced from when/if they signal.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I've been saying this for years, great to know that people in history were just as stupid as I am

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

They were too short :negative:

Die grinder the hole

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

How the gently caress do you hear your brake going clunk and not just, y'know, stick your head down and look to see there's an entire bolt missing :psyduck:

One afternoon I noticed my brakes were clunking a bunch. Like, every time I closed or released the brake lever. Couldn't find any fasteners loose, but I could move the pads around with my finger. I thought maybe they had sort of false-brinelled themselves loose somehow, so I got in a new set, only to find my old pads were still plenty meaty and the new pads had the exact same slop. It turns out the 6-pot Tokicos that are stock on the ZRX just kinda do that. They're built so that you can remove a pin and a clip and yank the pads right out the top of the caliper without unbolting it, but one tradeoff is, the pads rattle around on the retainer pin.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Toe Rag posted:

Barber shops have to adapt since white supremacists have moved on from shaved heads.

I'm grateful for the existence of the fashy haircut because otherwise I'd have to grow my hair out and look exactly like my dad did back in the 90s

E: which is to say, male pattern baldness as gently caress

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Plus you can pretend you’re not quite as bald as you are for a couple more years.

This is exactly why i started buzzing my hair in the first place, which is what I meant to imply earlier but somehow managed not even that simple task

I don't have nearly enough hair on top for a high and tight or whatever even if I wanted to and even if it wasn't the haircut du jour for white supremacists.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Man, New Zeroland's trip over Christmas to South Island really really makes me want to ride NZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr9C5E82XIc

gently caress if it doesn't look like the awesome bits of BC without having to drive halfway across Berta or the Interior to get to it

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was gonna say NZ is continuing to sound like an island version of BC but there are places in BC where a house is still affordable, so long as you don't mind living in a dying mining town that's an hour's drive on gravel road away from the next dying logging town

I hear if you even think the word "Vancouver" at your purchase negotiation they tack a half mil onto the price

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Right, a 500cc V2 2-stroke road bike, that's sensible

frantically googling bimota

e: oh okay the V-Due is gorgeous but had a tendency for Rapid Unplanned Disassembly cool cool cool

Also oh hey apparently Kawi bought a 49% stake in the company??

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 3, 2021

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megabook posted:

I was after those two as well. Is there any chance use people who rely on our bookmarked threads could get tags?
edit: Slavvy forgot to ask for the KTM one as well!

oh nards I missed it too, I was gonna ask for an Excitebike one

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Sweet thanks for the gang tags JSB

oh hey yeah thank you

Slavvy posted:

Well holy gently caress I asked for something punishing but this is absolutely next level.

harsh

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

un-stuck the throttle (tube and switch block full of some kind of insect casings)

Ah, the Admiral Grace Hopper sense of the word "debugging"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

His line breaks keep loving me up and making me try to read it like verse.

First I rode around the puddles
Rode to safety 'round the puddles
Not to lowside, nor to highside
Listened not to my instructor.
For this crime I was ejected,
Thrown out by several coppers
Told return would mean to tresspass.
I am starting my own race league
One with blackjack and with hookers.

Musha-ring dum-a-doo dum-a-da
Wack fol my daddy-o, etc.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I tried wearing my smallest mechanical watch under my gear once. It was a no-go. Just uncomfortable. I can't find dimensions for that thing on the site except that they say the strap is 26mm, which is loving gigantic as watch poo poo goes. I could get out my calipers and estimate it based on that, but, imma go out on a limb and say that it is not intended to be worn under a protective jacket or gloves.

So I suppose if you layer dan make sure you go down on your left side so you can ride that thing to a stop like you're Legolas the elf doing a shield surf

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Apropos of nothing, our province has been on slowly-easing-lockdown since November. We're trying to be very good about not going over to see my parents, since my wife works in a public-facing job and I work in a shop with more than a few people who don't get the whole "communicable disease" idea, and my mom is p vulnerable to such as respiratory viruses. But my bike is parked at their garage for the winter and i haven't seen it in four goddamned months I miss my friggin bike

At least I can do zoom meetings with my folks

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m an IT guy AND I eschew torque wrenches

Fight me

No, because my thin noodly arms are great for not overtorquing bolts but terrible for fisticuffs

If I was working on vehicles every single day I'd probably get to where Slavvy's mindset is, but for how often I do it, gently caress it I'll break out the torque wrenches for piddly poo poo like the engine side covers. They're Princess Auto so it's probably about the same accuracy as if I did it by feel anyway

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well you know what they say about what happens when all you have is a hammer

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Skunks can deffo smell pretty weedy, but, like, in a bad way. To my nose there's a strong sausage/sweat undertone. Like, imagine a roofer working out in the hot sun all day with a joint stashed in his armpit, his lunch is like three big grilled bratwursts, and then at the end of the day he lights the armpit joint.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

LodeRunner posted:

Skunks only smell like weed from a distance. A gentle whiff of skunk isn't so bad and sometimes you think, "I don't see what all the fuss is about."

Then your pet or house gets nuked and the intense acrid air burns your eyes and throat and assaults all of your senses.

I got lucky last week actually, it's late evening and my wife and I hear this weird grumbling coming from somewhere close to the house. I go stand out on my front porch, and it quickly becomes obvious it's coming from underneath. The grumbling stops when I stomp on the porch. I have one of those cheap precast concrete set of steps, and I notice there's open spots along the side where something could climb underneath. I go back inside, and I've got a hunch so I check out "what do skunks sound like" and it was exactly this sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5mcha2Qts&t=8s

I tossed some mothball packets under the porch the next morning, I haven't heard the little devil since. I wish it no harm, but I also don't want to meet it. Or have it turn my steps into a nest.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Late for skunkchat, but I have many skunk stories and this is my favorite:

A couple years ago, I was leading my field crew to a site down a steep cut bank on a river, and it smelled pretty strongly of skunk. They're common around rivers, nothing new, so I told everyone to just keep an eye out because rabies is common in them plus the hassle of being sprayed. I stepped off on this steep muddy otter slide of a trail into the river and took a look into this burrow that was right about at eye level a couple feet away, and a fuckin badger popped his head out and hissed at me. I yelled a lot about that and he just turned around and dove back into the burrow. We kept on going past the burrow down to the river and kept an eye up the bank on the burrow, where these little puffs of sand were flying out every few seconds. The skunk smell got worse. Eventually we left, then came back a couple hours later. Skunk smell was almost unbearable. This time though, the vegetation was all beaten down and there were pieces of skunk all scattered about around this ripped open burrow.

So the moral is if you smell skunk, keep an eye out for badgers.

Yeah, if I said it once I said it a thousand times, we don't need no stinkin' badgers :clint:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

NYPD hates bikes. Sucks but also true.t

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Gasoline is an incredible fuel. If it didn't already exist under our feet all over the world, we would have invented it independently. There's almost nothing else with that combination of energy density, relative non-toxicity* and convenience. You can carry 600 megajoules (165 kWh) in a 5-gallon bucket weighing 30 pounds. It never loses potency and it can be moved around with a funnel and a hose. As long as you keep the bucket covered it's safe enough to leave in the corner of your garage.

Electric vehicles are cool but I will always be a big liquid fuel stan. Fight me

*pure iso-octane is very safe, it's all the benzene and other poo poo in gas that makes it poisonous

Between fossil fuels, asbestos, and cfcs, I feel like the history of industrial materials in the 19th and 20th century is one of incredibly useful substances that our species was in no way responsible enough to be allowed near.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carth Dookie posted:

The guy who came up with CFCs was the same guy who recommended adding lead to gasoline. Kind of amazing how much of an impact one guy had on planetary health. Then he managed to kill himself accidentally by munching himself in a contraption of his own design to help him get around his house when he got old and less mobile (I've always suspected it was really auto erotic asphyxiation but either people didn't recognise it for what it was or chose a different interpretation to sanitize the cause of death).

Oh yeah no gently caress Thomas Midgely

though the way science and engineering work some other bright spark (or group thereof) would have discovered both cfcs and tetraethyl lead. And it's not like he was some evil overlord forcing them on the world, corporations chose to foist them on us at the cost of our health and sanity and downplay the negative effects once they were aware, because it made money faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ryan Fortnine did a video on airbags a few months ago and that was one of the reasons he promoted the least expensive one that's just tethered to the bike

Klim lists the vest at $400 US and then I'm guessing the subscription fee (or the $400 gently caress-your-subscription fee) is an adder on top of that? If it was $400 alone it'd be by far the cheapest airbag vest, so that's unlikely to be the case.