Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Are those... Youtube comments? Did you trick us into reading Youtube comments? You know to never read those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e: Oh tell a lie you can get a jacket with a whole 1 millimetre-thick leather shell (most bike leathers are 6mm or more)

Most actual moto leather is around 1.3mm, sometimes getting up to 1.6mm. Leathers a half a centimeter thick would be stiff and hot as hell, think of your own skin then think of the poor cow that poo poo would have to come from

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Z3n posted:

I love that every hipster bike video has some moment with an angle grinder spraying sparks, even when they're supposedly doing repairs on the side of the road.

It's also always on the rear subframe too, because it's always the pesky vestigal pillion peg mounts that leave you stranded

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Keyboards and Cheetos

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Z3n posted:

The SkidMarx

Skidmarks and Kid Marxists

Captures the SA demographic to a T

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

you can't ignore a name with both a double-entendre

I would reference you to the tagline for the website http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'M A PEOPLE PERSON

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

The_Raven posted:

The worst part for me is that they use good I4 bikes. For chrissakes, can't these douches start with a KZ400 or some other paratwin commuter? It's truer to the cafe ethos, isn't it?

They mangle plenty of those too, don't worry. Also CX500s.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
One of my Persian buddies tipped me off to shaving in the shower. It really is the way to go.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I had a job for a while writing control software for a factory. I'd write a new module and then I could go down to the floor and watch the robots respond to the new code; sometimes I'd set up tests to gauge their behavior. It was actually pretty cool. I think the key is seeing your work in action, if you're writing stuff and then mailing it off without real feedback (or playing computer janitor BOFH and fixing the exact same problems day in and out) it's a recipe for misery.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

:stare:

And I thought Sweden was a nanny state.

There's a reason England birthed Orwell

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If you don't have a job in France, it's near impossible to get a job in France. That may work differently for foreigners who already have a padded resume. The French also have a full brace of their own silliness; the very mildest example I can think of is requiring motorcyclists to carry breathalyzers every time they ride.

Talking about going from New England to California to Ireland to France is like a world tour of wrecked economies. Go for Japan next!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I lived near a popular biker road for a while, and can tell you the Venn diagram of people who liked bombing down it overlapped significantly with the 'loud pipes save lives' crowd and the guys who think chopping the crap out of their exhaust or just straightpiping it is the key to horsepower and speed. I wouldn't think of doing it but I can see the old farts in the neighborhood having the po-po on speed dial every time they hear engines running out there.

For better or worse the police Venn diagram here overlaps with the 'loud pipes save lives' crowd, too, so the effect is (heh) muted.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Tell her you want a raise

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Craigslist is great for getting straight-arrow middle-class citizens into the weirdest, totally benign but super sketchy-looking parking lot transactions

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I agree with this sentiment

M42 posted:

Gettin' real tired of your poo poo, winter.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

I probably would do but their patterns are boring as poo poo.

I've almost acquiesced to the idea of just getting a white helmet and having it painted

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Why have friction brakes to slow down when he's got the retarding power of irony?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I really want a bicycle but they seem way too dangerous. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncQsBzI-JHc

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

nsaP posted:

I love my bicycle but I ride it in 'safe' situations, to me. I have friends that brave the city traffic on a bike and I think they're nuts, because I think it's risky enough when I have some horsepower on my right hand. Pedal power? nuts.

I got a bicycle because my commute is short and I thought, hey, I'll pedalbike it and get some exercise

It turns out bicycling in commute traffic is terrifying

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

I got a black one and allowed rocks and bugs to ding it up all nicely.

The hipster version of this would be buying a brand new helmet and dragging it around the neighborhood a few times by a string tied to the car bumper, for that authentic gritty patina

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Protip: hold your leather glove under the nozzle tip till it clears your dirty-rear end tank.

Your hand smelling like gas is an added benefit

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Tanbo posted:

Someone told me you shouldn't bang the nozzle because it can cause a spark, t/f?

These metaphors are getting confusing

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Armchair Calvinist posted:

I haven't been on a motorcycle in a month.

A month, huh?

:smith:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

How many lives must be claimed by Axe before people learn???

THEY TOLD US IT WAS KILLER ON WOMEN! WHY DID WE NOT LISTEN??!?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Z3n posted:

Just remember, nearly everyone doing that poo poo is in debt to the loving hilt.

I was friends with some people who ran a dealership near a military base and holy gently caress, some of the stories they had...20k GSX-R 600s (after mods) on loan with 20% interest and poo poo.

No they're not. Mil bases are full of idiots making spectacularly foolish financial (and life) decisions that aren't representative of the general populace. I'm think we still have a dedicated thread in GiP about the stunning idiocy our soldiers and sailors pull.

And yeah I knew guys with brand new Gixxer thous paying >$3k a year in insurance, but I also knew one guy who bought like a $15k chopper and totalled it on the ride home, so

Nidhg00670000 posted:

What is this "savings" you talk about?

In your case you pay it in taxes and it goes right to Southern Europe into savings that way

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Paying off your mortage counts as saving, right? :ohdear:

You're building equity, so yes, actually

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
There isn't a chance in hell that bike has 187 horse

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Destrad0 posted:

I did something similar at the Sydney motorcycle show last year, unfortunately at 6'3" I had a different definition of "fit and finish".

Things I don't fit on:
R6 - I feel like I am going to go over the handlebars.
CBR600 - Can't get my legs under the tank ridge.
VFR800 - Not quite the same lip but enough to make it uncomfortable after a minute or so, never mind touring.
ZX6R - Just too cramped.

Things I do fit on:
GSXR600 - I fit pretty comfortably and the adjustable pegs make it even more accommodating.
F3 800 - It was equipped with some kind of Italian space-time bending device.

I only noticed the adjustable pegs on the Suzuki. I guess the other manufacturers think that the taller riders will just ride the bigger bikes and they can make more profit that way.

You're looking at supersport bikes. They're deliberately as small as possible because they're designed to be track scalpels, not streetbikes. Most of those manufacturers have much more comfortable, more road-oriented models.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A lot of them also smoke like chimneys and drink like fish.

This is the way to do it, though. Have you tried smoking like a fish and drinking like a chimney? It's miserable.

Sagebrush posted:

Huh. Of all the professions, I've found that nurses are the ones who are the most vehemently opposed to the very concept of motorcycling. I have one nurse friend who acted like I'd said I drive drunk for fun when she found out I ride a bike.

If you imagine the kind of people who get brought in after tossing their gixxer down the street, and the nurses have to cut off what's left of their jorts and wifebeaters to treat the abrasion wounds and broken bones, it's easy to understand why nurses don't like biking.

I've said it before but if you talk to people about the anecdotes that made them hate / fear biking, you realize what they're really worried about are bikers that are also phenomenally stupid.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Slavvy posted:

1. You get wet if it rains/cold if it's cold.
2. You can't carry groceries/children/whatever.
3. You have to wear special clothes.
3. What if someone knocks it over?

That second #3 sucks, ain't gonna lie

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Pope Mobile posted:

How do you even get it out in the rain when the bike melts upon contact with water?

Ugh, please don't Italian-shame

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Slavvy posted:

I used to think that bikes that look like this are the bees knees but now I can't stop looking at how disproportionately massive and bulgy the tail section is, it looks like someone's hiding a beer crate in there. I say this as the former owner of four small sportbikes from that era.

It's only awkward looking if you focus on it to the exclusion of the other elements on the bike. There's nothing really svelte about those machines. Sure, the random exhaust port whatevers (under the seat there) that they loved to slap on the tails could be done without. But with an actual human rider on the bike, the block tail is a lot less noticeable, and it means you can store more than your rego and insurance under there.

On the other hand the short stiletto tails that are in vogue especially with streetfighter styles look truncated and awful with someone actually riding it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Careful with just a heated vest. The human body's natural reaction to cold is to maintain the core and restrict blood flow to the extremities. Heating your torso can lead to a case where you're highway cruising for a while and feel warm enough, only to go and turn off the highway (or dodge something) and find your arms and legs practically numb. It's pretty easy to get a jacket + layers that will keep your core warm well into temps you probably shouldn't be braving, but your hands definitely benefit from external heat, especially if you don't have shielding fairings.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It's a moot point because of

quote:

the likely introduction of laws making ABS required on all motorcycles in the European Union by 2016

... which means all Euro bikes and almost all Japs are going to be ABS standard - you want a non-ABS bike, try finding a Harley without it added, or buy used.

Also BMW is a premium brand that wants to charge premium prices, and standard ABS is a way to pull themselves up from the Japbikes, and their options packages are silly enough already.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Remember that at least half of Slavvy's problems aren't even the result of his own riding, but instead his identity getting mixed up with that of ~THE CRIMSON DIRTBIKER~

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Tanbo posted:

Contour Roam2's on Woot. http://www.woot.com/offers/contourr...8856209#tracked

I almost got one but if I'm gonna buy a camera I want an external mic jack at least.

Note, that's only $15 less than Amazon, and like twisto posted in another thread yesterday, they deal really poorly with wind noise and can only be configured via the (lousy) computer software

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Got too bored to do any more so just have a couple from the last five minutes of my commute:

Dude was less than six inches from the bumper of that car and maybe a foot from the scooter with those stupid hard cases, then got himself stuck at the next red light because he doesn't know poo poo about how to filter.

The hand gesture is pointing out that bright loving blue dedicated, segregated bike lane (sorry, Cycle Superhighway) exactly 3 yards to his right, instead he was motoring along the pavement and if I'd have been a car he'd have been strawberry jam.

If you guys all bicycled like Boris, these would all be non-issues

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

slidebite posted:

Mrs. Slidebite and I want to take a few friends of ours out to the range to expose them to handguns and cool rifles over the summer, just for a cool way to kill an afternoon. I just found out the wife doesn't want to go because she doesn't want to risk leaving their child as an orphan.

:ohdear:

The range could be hit by an asteroid :ohdear:

When you guys go out to dinner or something does she make you take separate cars? How far does this brutal oppression of the law of averages reach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

We have a ton of area to cover, combined with the decline of our infrastructure perfectly lining up with the ~MY TAX DOLLARS~ crowd that currently dominates our politics.

Bugdrvr posted:

Driving around downtown San Diego or LA in anything less than a pickup is just asking for destroyed suspension components.
It's not so much the potholes, it's the earth moving all around under the roads along with about 40 years of deferred maintenance.

Yes, Pennsylvania and California, stalwart bastions of the ~MY TAX DOLLARS~ crowd

Seriously Philly has the highest taxes of any non-bullshit city in the nation and you'd think the money goes to paying for field artillery to shell the major transportation arteries biweekly. Cali has the 4th highest of every state (LA adds plenty on top of that) and sure as gently caress not a red cent is being sent inland. And Cali doesn't even have the flimsy excuse of poo poo winter weather that NY/CT try to use to explain why their sky-high taxes can't keep the roads from resembling the surface of some distant, exotic planetoid.