Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

KARMA! posted:

Buy an nc750.

I fully expected two responses: yours, and "Snow? Ha ha, what a pussy."

Or a combination of the two: "Buy a DRZ, pussy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ActualHumanGarbage posted:

Motorcycle word salad

You've got to be loving kidding.

:lol: muscle trike

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 5, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I get jokes too!!

t:mad: seems plausible

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

O'riginal posted:

That fucker. It's because of this keyword bullshit that I stopped searching in anything except the fricken title of CL ads, plus a price I'd be comfortable with.

Added: Oh, I see, it's a dealer. Too bad it's a decent price for the bike. I'm gonna join in the flood of emails.

Here's another numbnuts that's doing it, although with a string of pretty unrelated bikes. :iiam:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

R/R?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yall sound like a bunch of horny nerdy 12-year-old boys.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

captainOrbital posted:

And you sound like a 40-year-old graphic designer with 4 kids who's frustrated that he can't ride when it's 12 degrees out.

Do what now?

I mean, yeah, I'm frustrated that I can't ride today because my battery tender couldn't overpower the 12 degree temps and the bike wouldn't start but 4 kids and graphic designer?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

captainOrbital posted:

The joke was that I was describing myself. I believe the psychologists call it "Mimeographing".

We need a :whoosh: smiley for when I miss the joke.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Marv Hushman posted:

This is the universal signal for "bee in my helmet" as well. And let me tell you, it blows when you're on a shoulderless road with a few miles between turnouts.

Didn't Silver have a signal for that?

edit: Or was that the signal?

edit: Nope.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 25, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Transition lenses are only worn by:

And maybe Jamie Hyneman.
And you won't convince me otherwise.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The orchestral circus music in the last couple seconds makes it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

SV, Bandit, XJ6, FZ1, FZ6, etc?

I feel like the naked bike explosion killed them off, seeing as most of the half-faired bikes I can think of (see above) are now available sans fairing and seem to be a little more popular.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mariana Horchata posted:

I just started riding for the first time on a bought and barely used '87 Honda XL250R that had sub-1000mi when I put it on the road. Anyways, are increased bowel movements a side effect of frequently riding a high revving thumper? Because I've lost like 20+ lbs. from my peak weight during winter and I really haven't made any changes in diet or exercise...I'm at a loss otherwise. If this is normal would that imply that the naming of the KTM Duke could be an inside joke?

That's weird and you're weird.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I need recommendations for a motorbike that will make me stop making GBS threads so much.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Retarded Pimp posted:

A Harley, with all that vibration on your prostate, you'll stop going and start coming.

So I was in a truckstop bathroom a while back and this old weather-beaten leathered up HD type biker comes in and goes to the urinal next to me. He was straining so hard to piss and just getting a little trickle. All "NNNNNGGGGGH*tinkle drip drip*"

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It'll come to you too one day.

Shut up shut up shut up can't hear you la la la la la la la gonna go drink a bunch of water.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

My mother-in-law-to-be and her husband have taken up RVing. They carry around a Vespa 250 for running down the road to the store. That poor little scooter with its nice leather seats and chrome trim and such has never been covered or stored inside, so it's all sunburned and cracked and the seat is torn and it just looks so sad. It's only a year or two old and probably doesn't have 200 miles on it. :(

That's my rant, hope you liked it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Can I post an anti-rant here?

I was talking to this younger guy (23 maybe?) that works for me the other day about motorcycles. He told me he wanted to get one and get into it, so I gave him my standard "Do the MSF course first, budget enough for gear, and get a reasonable bike that won't kill you on insurance first" speech. The guy is pretty bro-tastic, even more so by virtue of being in Colorado. Like, sun's out, guns out, flatbrim Dakine hat party boy. I told him about how insane the prices are to insure anything an insurance company considered a sportbike, because I figured he would want a 600RR or something. To that he says, "Well yeah, look at the kind of people that ride those."

:unsmith:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

No wonder you're so angry all the time.

Edit: for real though I feel bad for your situation. Hope it gets better when the tickets clear.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 3, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That's the one that make Dr Faustus come to the thread and lecture.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

revmoo posted:

Some hick fuckface rolled coal on me on the interstate while blocking the passing lane. I gave him the finger. He pulled over to the shoulder to try and fight.

Thanks for clearing the passing lane dickhead!

I don't know what options are like in your area, but we have the smoking vehicle hotline in Colorado.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Radbot posted:

loving people. This woman in a Pathfinder cuts me off, sending me right up her bumper. I veer to the left side of the lane, in the hopes she'll see my headlight in her sideview mirror. After five or ten seconds, she does, makes a surprised face, and starts screaming and pointing at me. I make a little kissy face and smile, she drives off, but then we turn at the same intersection.

As she scoots by on the right, she gives me the middle finger as she looks away... and then stops at the stoplight ten feet ahead. I pull behind her again and make a bunch of exaggerated thumbs-up and OK signals at her, my favorite response to people flipping me off. Her fat face EXPLODES and she angrily sputters "I'm calling the cops!" Note that I never, ever travel besides vehicles as that can be considered threatening, I'm behind her bumper at all times.

I mouth back "OK, that's cool." and shrug, especially considering you've never seen my plate. She slows down so I can pass her, to get my plate number I'm sure, but I just pop a U-turn on the sidewalk and ride away. Nice try, bitch.

Why are you riding without a full face helmet in Denver you maniac.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That's loving insufferable.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

For a group so opposed to *motorcycle marketing*, you all pay an awful lot of attention to it.

How else are you supposed to get a proper spite worked up?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jul 31, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Well, the example that started it was delivered by email and not sought out so

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chichevache posted:

She's not coming, Marv. Head to the bar.

Oh snap Thurman ice burn Vince McMahon etc

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Barnsy posted:

Why the gently caress does Honda put cruciform screws on bar-ends instead of allen screws like any sane person?! A 5 minute bar-end removal has turned into having to take the bike to the shop because for some reason one of the two screws seized and stripped.

They're probably JIS screws, which are designed to self destruct when a Phillips screwdriver touches them.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ripoff posted:

Hahahahaha whoa, there son. Show me on the doll where the bicycle touched you.

Maybe you should leave the trailer once in a while and go out and see the world, you'll see where things are headed. Electric cars and motorcycle are becoming more viable each and every day, and the world isn't going to keep using gasoline because of taxation reasons. So how do we deal with this? We can tax electricity, we can add an additional sales tax to a bicycle, or hell, we can tax cars based on usage and weight. Gas tax isn't going to magically carry us into the future. I'm sorry your corporate overlords at Exxon-Mobil aren't happy about this, maybe you can go buy a 70's era truck and blow them a bit longer for their benefit.

Also your wingnut tears of "bicyclists don't pay taxes waah waah" :reddit: is hilariously stupid because bicyclists, cars and motorcycles don't do loving poo poo to your precious roads. If you really want to tax things fairly you gotta start hitting up those heavy OTR trucks that have serious axle weight (which itself is full of problems). Your loving gas tax is a hilarious joke as well because it only punishes people who drive bigger, gas-guzzling vehicles. It's regressive as hell because Mr. Six Figures is probably driving a top-tier Lexus/BMW hybrid or Tesla car while the poorer denizens of the inner cities have to drive cheaper trucks and cars, which are usually huge SUVs and cars that get poor mileage. If they drive the same as Mr. Six Figures, they're paying more in taxes per relative income. That said, you're probably okay with this because you come across as one of those "gently caress you; got mine" types that burns tires in your backyard every time someone buys an alternative fuel vehicle because it's not benefiting your lifestyle.

Using the word "entitlement" when trying to encourage people to use a system that benefits everyone financially (especially the poor, who don't have to pay a huge chunk of their income in keeping a car running) as well as decreasing the amount of automotive traffic around rush-hour and ultimately fights against global warming is the dumbest poo poo I've read on these forums in quite a while.

Truth.

Also critical mass rides are pretty regressive. Or bring about regressive behavior, I guess.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 8, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_Mass_(cycling)

It's when a bunch of cyclists get in a group and ride on public streets. The idea is that it's a peaceful demonstration or exercising of rights (since cycling on public roads is entirely legal) to make cyclists more commonplace on roads in the eyes of drivers, thereby promoting general awareness of cyclists. What it usually turns into (in my experience) is a bunch of college students being dicks en masse, holding up traffic, and enraging drivers so they do things like hit cyclists with their cars and take on opinions like our boy Verge here.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ok

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I grew up in a little town in south Arkansas, population 8000 or so. Bikes stop being cool at about 12, and I was a pretty serious cyclist from junior high on. Got run off the road, honked at daily, had stuff thrown at me, had dogs set on me, pretty much all of it. Never figured out where the hate came from, as there was literally nobody pushing any kind of share the road agenda. College and grad school were in a much more bike friendly town, but the most vocal supporters of bike rights seemed to be that kind of guy, so I could understand the hate there. There were frequent critical mass rides in town and lots of confrontations with drivers resulting. I don't see it ever improving. Now I'm in a town with a great bicycle infrastructure and a ton of support from the residents for it. Full bike lanes, tons of dedicated paths all over town, buses with racks inside and out, lots of businesses and workplaces give incentives to patrons and employees, the list goes on. And you don't see that kind of dickhead ruining it for the rest of us.

Developing a bike infrastructure and maintaining it is a really socially responsible thing to do and cities absolutely benefit from it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Marv Hushman posted:

There are people who seem to latch onto a given pursuit exclusively for some imagined element of oppression. Unfortunately, they wind up becoming self-appointed spokespersons and attempt to prove points no one honestly cares about. See: open carry jackalopes who want to take an AK to the library, The Entire Helmet Debate, etc.
But in this case, there actually is a lot of hate toward cyclists, it's not imagined. Yeah, a lot of people blow it out of proportion and get really overzealous in their activism, but cyclists in general get a lot of the same kind of abuse on roads that we get on motorcycles, with the added problem of not having near as much mainstream acceptance and public support.

quote:

I've come to terms with this reality of the roadways: there are times and places where supersized vehicles just flat out own the proceedings. Honestly, they can't see you from their perch, you can't see anything past the tailgate, and their spontaneous lateral moves trump everything. It just isn't fun, and while you have a right to be there, you have no business being there. But fine, if someone wants to organize a show of force on behalf of the larger 2-wheel community, it isn't going to make coexistence more pleasant, and will likely be counterproductive, as was the case with Mean Mr. Mustache.
This is definitely true. The cities that are better about supporting a bike community deal with it by keeping the designated bike routes on the lower-priority surface streets and outright restricting bikes on the truck routes and higher-traffic streets. Doesn't stop a lot of stupid cyclists from playing frogger on a 6-lane, though. I got no sympathy from them.

A little bit of Googling turns up a handful of sources saying that road maintenance and infrastructure development is only in part funded by gas and vehicle taxes. Most of it comes from property and sales taxes, local millages, and the sort of fees that basically everyone pays. Considering that in the US, most people on bikes also drive cars, cyclists aren't contributing any less to roads than anyone else. So the "pay gas and road tax" is basically some parroted bullshit from Fox News or your drunk uncle.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is a definite bugbear of mine - my commute includes the most-imaginatively-named road in the world, The Highway and the Limehouse Link (still, adjusted for inflation, the most expensive per-mile road in the world). Bikes are specifically banned from the latter (and for good reason, as you can see in that picture it's got really steep entrance and exits and is full of blind corners so is pretty much a death-run for cycles. The Highway isn't much better - it's got very tight lanes and cyclists have got nowhere to hide, and cars don't have room to give them space.

Of course you see cycles on them all the time, and it's *always* the lycra light-jumpers brigade. The point is that there is an expensive, grade-separated, dedicated cycle lane running along the old streets that these two roads replaced - and it's a more direct route (in fact is a more direct route between almost any two randomly-selected points on The Highway itself because of the way it meanders). But no, these wankers have the moral right to use these roads and totes are going to.

Our main drag through town is 5-6 lanes through most of it, and has been under various stages of construction for about 2 years now, so it's 4.5 miles of construction zone. And there's idiots continuing to ride on it, even though bikes are banned from it and there is a dedicated bike path with its own stoplights at all cross streets that parallels it for practically the entire length. I think people are just trying to remove themselves from the gene pool sometimes.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Radbot posted:

Another reason to hate cyclists is that, around here at least, people love to give them 5 feet of space around blind turns, pushing people across the DY. When I honk, invariably the cyclist makes some lewd gesture at me - apparently the lycra makes you unable to understand that I'm not talking to you, dickhead.

This isn't even bringing up the cyclist that literally spit at me, repeatedly, after I asked him not to pass me in my loving lane while following a slow vehicle down Lookout Mountain. I've literally never been closer to running a person over intentionally in my life.

I don't know if this is a Colorado thing or a cyclist thing, or a Colorado cyclist thing, but they just looooooove to ride up in the loving canyons. Every loving time I drive up or down Poudre Canyon, these dingdongs are there, just grinding away at 10 mph because it's a 10% grade. It's a loving canyon with no shoulders, a rock wall on one side, and a river on the other, and it's all blind curves. I can't think of a more inappropriate place to ride a bike.

It's not ok to hate all cyclists because of that any more than it's ok to hate all motorcyclists because of squids or cruiser pirates, but it's ok to hate those specific cyclists because they cause brodozers to try to pass on a dy with an oncoming convoy of Winnebagos.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Formic acid, I believe.

Some ants also produce butyric acid, so they smell like rancid butter or vomit when you smush them. :eng101:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:thurman:

Yall got some bonkers insurance. $165/year for me, that's including $2500 in medical payments, comprehensive, $3000 in accessory coverage, roadside assistance, and the higher (but not highest) levels of coverage for under/uninsured injury, injury liability, and property damage liability. $500 deductible for damage to my bike in the case of uninsured motorist, and $75 deductible on comprehensive.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 22, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

bigbillystyle posted:

Yeah this part of the thread makes me pretty happy with my insurance situation. I have basically the same thing, except I don't carry any medical payment coverage, and pay $178 for the year. Massachusetts through Commerce insurance. My bike is a 9 year old Suzuki Katana 750 and my driving record isn't exactly spotless if that helps put any of that into perspective. I have an electric Vectrix scooter, 400cc equivalent, and I have the bare minimum on that thing and its like $68/year or something like that.

Progressive in Colorado, 20-year-old bike, clean record, couple small discounts.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chiche, tell me about your insurance fraud when you left a 300 lb bike with a siezed motor on the side of the 101 for 3 days.

Somehow I missed the conversation that got you your new red text.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Akion posted:

Jesus Christ.

EDIT: New Page. Here it is before it got stolen, for those who are just joining us.

IMGUR album. Someone find me some good funeral music. Seriously, I am thinking about going to the shitheads court date now just so I can watch him get sentenced.

Man, that gave me that sick feeling all over again. Looks like it was dipped in acid.

That happened to me a couple years ago.
It looked like this:

And when it got found, it looked like this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

They repainted the black bits black.