Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Martytoof posted:

Mail ordering parts is literally the worst

I recently had to order a bunch of parts for my Monkey 125 that blew up. On the same day, I ordered parts from a shop in North Carolina, somewhere in Utah, and Japan. I live about 300 miles inland in Washington State.
The parts from Japan got here first, by a couple days. :confused: It's not just a single occurence, either. WeBike always gets my parts here super fast, even with the cheapest shipping. Which was cheaper than any of the shipping from the US shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Was the plug at least the correct heat range?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Reminds me a bit of working on 2-stroke Jetskis a bunch. I did this as a side job during summers for a while until I could no longer stand the customer aspect of customer service.
Jetsksi out of water means no load whatsoever on the engine, so if there's even a small air leak past the carburetor the engine will start revving to the moon and pushing stop isn't going to stop it because now the plug tip is glowing.
Most people panic at this point and do not know what to do. They will end up trying to disconnect the battery, stuff rags in the air intake or exhaust. The exhaust stuff will work, but the real solution is very counter-intuitive: Pull the throttle wide open while holding the stop button.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The pro move is to use the proper fitting metric socket from your set on one side and the not quite fitting imperial socket from the same set for the other.
If using an impact driver, make sure the ill-fitting socket is on that

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
On my 125, "top speed", "cruising speed", and angry redline screaming are all synonyms

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The most the Monkey will do is 75mph with stock gearing before the Rev limiter kicks in.
The old KTM 250 EXC will do 65mph on the sand with paddles.
The new KLX300R is about the same as the KTM.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Mister Speaker posted:

I don't know a single person who's been ticketed for phone use while driving. A couple of 'warnings', like a cop pulls up next to them and literally wags their finger before driving off.

Conversely, I see cops on their phones while driving all the time.

Lol my kid got ticketed for it a couple months back.

Also, at least in WA cops have specific exceptions from those rules because they have special training or something.

Lol. ACAB

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I wonder if both of you are talking about the minivan or the off-road vehicle or both?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Oh yeah, can your lawn mower do this :smugdog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieCOgCEtXfY

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'd love to try one out. Though maybe not at the skate park

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

opengl128 posted:

What the hell, that's the stuff of nightmares

But also the stuff of comedy action films so who can really say.

That sucks man. If I hit that with the Monkey I'd just disappear altogether

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Portland here

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Remy Marathe posted:

All motorcycle seats should have a key /quick release mechanism, god drat do I hate digging out a wrench to take out two bolts every single time I want to take the seat off the vanvan. What if I wanted to put my weed in there or something?

That's a feature I really like on my old Vstrom. Key is all you need,

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah this is every dual sport I've experienced. DR650 is a bolt each for side panels and then one bolt for each side of the seat.

Pretty much the same for my dirt bikes. Except that the old 250 EXC doesn't have a battery under the seat.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My 250 EXC :cheeky:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Snowing again in Portland WTF

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Drivers in the greater Portland area are generally very bad. I'm not sure if it's a lack of proper drivers Ed or what.
Lane awareness, left vs right lane, going 5 under in the passing lane while keeping pace with the right lane so no one can pass.
Maybe this personal anecdote explains a small part of it: I work at a tech company that also has facilities in India. The Indian engineers come over here quite often for project support and other miscellaneous things.
I go out with them for fun stuff when I can - they know the best Indian restaurants in town and we go to museums or whatever. I've taken a couple of them out to the woods on my dirt bikes. This often involves driving and we got to talking about driving in the US. Pretty much all of them agreed that driving here was not a good experience for them. They didn't know the local laws and it was different from their local laws. They got a rental at the airport and were just expected to find their way around.
That gave me a new perspective on traffic and I've been trying hard to be more patient.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Rusty posted:

It's also not a law in Oregon that the passing lane in only for passing which makes it a lot worse than other states where it is enforced like Washington.

I lived in WA for 25 years and have never seen that enforced.

Just this morning I saw a pickup pull out into the right lane of Hwy 99, and immediately get over into the left lane and stay there, about 5 under, for the entire 2 miles of two lanes.

Madness. Chaos.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Don't get your hopes up, it wouldn't be the first time a Dem Oregon governor vetoed a lane splitting bill that was passed by the legislature.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Geekboy posted:

our richest, oldest, dumbest people.

But those are a large portion of drivers on the road!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I forward to Oregon drivers behind the judge, jury, and executioners of those who will legally lane split

No wait, I'm not

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Supradog posted:

Isn’t there multiple people here who have endured store wide mandated “celebrations” when they bought their REAL AMERICAN HOG (tm)?

I've had to do it twice now. Not a Harley dealership either time

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That is a nice fat flat torque curve, goddamn

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slide Hammer posted:

might be a little boring with such a linear torque curve.

"Predictable power delivery"

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Lately, I've been taking the Monkey to work more often than not. It's a hoot to ride, even if it's slower.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Ok so how do you cancel them on a Harley?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

knox_harrington posted:

For some reason the Fireblade has the indicator switch and the horn swapped from what I'm used to and I found that surprisingly difficult to adjust to. Also the trigger thing that should flash the lights is a lap time button which is annoying.

I have this situation between two of my bikes and it's maddening

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Strife posted:

My three bikes are about as different as possible. It helps to not even consider them the same class of vehicle. So it's less like getting confused on Bike A versus Bike B, and more like, the difference between a kayak and my Grand Cherokee.

Same.

My three bikes are Monkey 125, Vee 650, KX250

About as different as it gets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Pull that header off the cylinder and you can inspect for two problems