Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tjones posted:

Auto-rotation? If so isn't that more of a gently plummeting to Earth?

Descending at the speed of a leaf :)

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I really hate when somebody asks about my bike, asks me how fast it goes, all that stuff and then follows up with "Aw, man, I know what it's like, I've got a 350z, thing's fast man." No. No it's not. And no you don't. You're in the bubble of a vehicle designed to protect you from everything: wind, other vehicles, weather cold or hot, wet or baking. Your vehicle doesn't fall on top of you if you lean too far. It doesn't rear up on you if you give it too much throttle. gently caress you you have no loving idea what it's like to ride a fast motorcycle. Or even a slow one. And you don't want to, you soft little pussy. Otherwise you wouldn't say dumb poo poo things like "Oh, man, I could never ride a bike, I'd just go way too fast all the time", the insinuation being you're just way too much of a wild man to own one. Again, no you're not. You can't be the person so prone to risky behaviors that they avoid them all. That person doesn't exist, you're just risk adverse, afraid of your own blood, your own mortality.

Explaining that just makes me a douche though, so I have to eat my words and just nod my head to their stupid bullshit.

And besides, lame guy who just started at my old job, your concept of what a person can do on a bike is so limited all you can think about is going fast on the highway anyway. That's loving EASY son. This always happens with the bullshit excuses too. I don't loving care! I don't try to sell anyone on getting a bike unless they express interest on getting one. I understand they're not for everybody. So why can't a person just say "Yeah, those scare me. You're crazy." That's a nice ego boost they just haaaaave to take away with their "too macho to try" bullshit.

In sum, you have not impressed me, guy who replaced me at my old job and creepily has my first name and initials. Not at all.

This. I don't care what people say, he is 100% correct.

gently caress you and your 'oh I'd just lose my license!' No, you wouldn't. And no, your brother's supra is not actually mean fast. I don't care if it has 600 horsepower (it doesn't). And 200km/h down the motorway like it ain't no thing isn't dangerous or daredevilish or anything of that nature. People who know how fast bikes actually are don't say that they'll never ride one, they just straight up say 'not for me'.

The wholesaler next door to my work is a really cool middle aged guy, he has a championship-winning silvia race (NOT drift) car. When I got my ninja he walked up, complimented me on how cheap it was, then asked what cc.

"Thousand"
"Hahahahaha hohohohohoho! No. No. NO! No. Not for me! *walks away*"

He knows what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

Man, what the hell is it with people blatantly lying about the condition of bikes/parts? "The fairings are good, no scuffs or scratches or cracks or anything, the bike is fine" I come out there to behold a bike in the shittiest condition I've ever personally witnessed. Paint bubbles from gas spills on a good 50% of the fairings, cracks at mounting points, dents/scuffs/scrapes, and the metal parts of the bike were so thoroughly rusted you couldn't separate the individual parts anymore.

It's like lying on a dating profile. The other person's not going to ignore the extra 150lbs when you meet.

I went back and pulled this off the ad

"If I wish really really hard, maybe it will happen!"

This phenomenon is so widespread that when I recently sold a givi screen for an sv650 and described it as having no marks or damage, the guy actually walked back to his car and gave me three bottles of beer because he was so astonished that I wasn't bullshitting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You guys are lucky you aren't in NZ, you don't get to see the 4 cylinder jap import 250's that are, apparently, worth twice (or thrice) as much as a normal bike. 1991 CBR250RR 75,000km's MINT CONDITION A TRUE COLLECTORS ITEM WILL ONLY APPRECIATE IN VALUE STARTING BID $4,500.

It sort of made sense a couple of years ago because 250 was the biggest you could ride on the two provisional licenses and they were the fastest in class, but now you can go all the way up to an SV650 so there is basically no reason for them to be costly anymore. Noone seems to have gotten the hint yet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

How the hell do people drive around in the pitch blackness of daylight savings evenings without realizing their headlamps are off? And why they hell don't they think "hey, that motorcyclist waving like crazy and flashing his headlight must be trying to get my attention", instead of just cruising blissfully off into the dark?

I once came alongside a man in a subaru legacy cruising down the motorway at 120 with no lights on. I matched his speed and waved until I got his attention. Then I proceeded to lean forward and point directly at my headlights (no easy feat on a VFR400!) then flashed my high beams on and off repeately. He looked at me like I was a crack-addicted murderer and jumped on his brakes in a panic.

One day I'll just start killing without warning I swear to god.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So I'm trying to sell my ZRX on a local website. It's a classified ad which makes it basically like craigslist, people can email you inquiries or call/txt your mobile. I just got someone who sent me this gem of an email:

"Tidy looker, but seems to have an odd-ball swing arm."

That's it, that's the sum total of that email. No preamble, no 'can I have a look at the bike', not even a loving question. This individual decided it would be awesome to push the EMAIL SELLER button to basically just make a random passing comment the way you would to someone standing in line with you at the shops.

I don't know why this fills me with a killing rage but it does. It's just so loving infuriating. Why waste my time? What can you hope to achieve? You clearly have no intention of buying the bike. The internet isn't like window shopping for shoes you dumb oval office. Die in a loving fire.

Christ.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

Harley Davidson is Hannah Montana for grown men

That would make more sense if Hannah Montana weren't Hannah Montana for grown men now. :byodame:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm somewhat short-sighted and need glasses to drive (especially at night). The optometrist said that because my eyes are constantly set to the wrong focal point, bright points of light are projected diffusely and affect the 'contrast' of my vision, so I'm responding the way you would coming out a dark room into bright sunlight. Glasses go some way to fixing it but it still sucks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I worked with a mechanic once whose hobby was hookers. The way other people pour money into old bikes/cars, or sports, or RC models or boats or whatever the gently caress, this guy poured into hookers. He would get excited when x whorehouse had hired a couple of new girls, and was like the go-to encyclopaedia of prostitution-related knowledge in the greater Auckland region.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There are towns in NZ that I think of as having a gene pool so shallow you could walk across it without wetting your ankles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hello, person who sticks their arm out while I'm lane splitting. Why do you do this? Do you think this will somehow intimidate or frighten me?

Mayhap, you think that if I ride into your outstretched arm, I'll be catapulted off the bike by your hulk-Hogan-like clothesline?

Or perhaps you think that my bike will run into your arm and be dramatically deflected into the air, with dire consequences for me?

No you dumb gently caress, what will happen is your flaccid meatstick will get shattered by a combined 280-odd kilos of bike and rider doing 60km/h. My course would barely be deflected at all. You dumb oval office.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"Haha something something z3n long-rear end posts to THAT!" - nsap

Just pre-empting things so we can bitch about idiot drivers some more.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

nsap is some bizarro reverse-zen. He posts more than zen, but it's all just complaints about how much zen posts.

It's the inverse z3n rule.

Content: on the way to work today I split up to a red light and a short while later a guy on a Harley (not sure what kind, had three headlights) came up behind me. So I moved a few feet forward and to the side so he wasn't stuck between the cars when the light turned green. When the light DID turn green he decided to try to race me to the left-turning on-ramp. On my right. I didn't even realise he was trying to race me until I glanced to the side and found him dead even with me. It had just finished raining an hour prior and he nearly crashed when I entered the ramp (the ramp is basically a sharp 270 degree banked bend).

I say nearly crashed because I glanced in my mirror and he was upright and heading for the barrier.

I drive on the left in case this doesn't make sense.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

How about a rant for the fuckers who say they'll buy your bike and then flake out at the last minute without telling you, forcing you to contact them to see if they're still coming but "Oh, no, I don't think I'll buy your bike now." ?

Fuuuuuck YOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!! Those people need to die. How can they possibly make a meaningful contribution to society? I feel old when I look at the state of the music industry, at what's on TV, and at what people wear and get baffled. But this poo poo blows everything else out of the water. Why do they do this??! What could they possibly hope to achieve? It happens often enough that there should be some sort of clinical classification for it so they can go get treatment.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You're a weird weirdo. Maybe it's a kids-these-days thing and older people are less likely to mentally substitute letters for numbers?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pope Mobile posted:

I typed like that all the time when I was twelve and still pronounce it "Zee Three En".

Did you have a cellphone when you were twelve? Serious question because that's what I'm basing my halfbaked pseudoscience on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

thylacine posted:

I don't even pay attention to who posts unless they're called out in a post. Pronounce that.

Your mom.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's literally the situation your bike has a horn for.

Well that and terrifying pedestrians, obviously.

No, that's what it has an engine for :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I certain woman in my neighbourhood has decided her new calling is to camp outside my driveway and call the cops literally every time I go to work, regardless of whether I'm speeding or not.

This is after she came to my door and gave me a long-winded think-of-the-children lecture. Fucksakes. Riding the GL145 to work exclusively from now on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This is driving me crazy because I actually stopped speeding, at all, in my entire neighbourhood just to stop something like this from happening and she called the cops anyway. She's also extremely thick so I don't picture any reasonable argument to work. Which I'd have difficulty articulating anyway because nothing fills me with unadulterated rage quite as much as people not minding their own business. Who has the time for this bullshit? Doesn't she have a job or something?

Why doesn't she complain about the local drug dealer who cruises around in a lowered Toyota Cressida with the plate [G THANG], or the pig hunter next door who rides a completely unroadworthy, unregistered 50cc dirt bike around the neighbourhood with no helmet?

Also the cop who called me on the phone this morning said 'multiple complainants' had 'identified my bike' as doing some preposterous poo poo, like riding over a footbridge that crosses some railway tracks near my house :lol::wtf:

I asked him how they could possibly know it's me and he said I match the description. Yes, a black bike with a guy wearing black riding gear and black helmet. I hate this country sometimes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

These aren't American cops so that isn't likely, they're more likely to either send me a 'cut it out or else' letter, or just come to my house and give me a stern talking to. I'm being cautious and not riding the zx10 to work now regardless, I'll just take the gl145. They're welcome to try accuse me of speeding on that.

I'm also going to have a wander around my area and see if I can spot a blue Daihatsu sirion so I can talk to the stupid woman and try to reason with her. I don't need this poo poo in my life right now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The cops are nice, the law isn't. Speeding laws are so ridiculous here that if they decide to take this woman's word for it and prosecute me, I'll end up losing my license and gaining a criminal conviction. This is likely to cost me my job, and also means I'm not likely to get another decent one for many years, I won't be able to further my certification, and I'd have trouble starting my own business. All because of this woman's do-goodery.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Good luck. In my experience, these people can't be reasoned with. I once had a moped, top speed 35 kmh downhill, with a tail wind. A local grumpy old woman started calling my dad (I was 15 yo at the time) every day telling him that I was "speeding through the streets on my motorcycle". This on a road that, to begin with, had a 50 kmh speed limit and no one followed that either. I tried talking to her one day explaining that not only was my "motorcycle" not even capable of speeding but I was in fact going a lot slower than the other traffic. Her response was something semi-coherent about motorcycles and death, and the words "I can hear you racing by, so don't try and tell me you don't". She couldn't get it into her mind that me going completely balls to the walls full throttle was slower than even she drove by.

Last year an older guy, redder than a tomato in the face, actually jumped out in front of me and started screaming about me going too fast (I was obeying the speed limit and told him so, he said "like gently caress you where"). My friend who passed him moments before me, going at least 15 kmh faster than me in his car was not a problem for some reason.

This is my nightmare scenario.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Appeasement probably won't get you anywhere, sadly.

If things really are looking that bad, the cops seem to clearly be taking her word that you're a dangerous lawbreaker. Ask them why. Ask them about exact times, dates, places. Make sure they understand that you can't possibly be doing these thing because you were at work/visiting your uncle/whatever. The only thing that'll help against "a witness" is showing that the witness is unrealiable by supplying your own.

I'll see if they get in contact with me again and maintain an extremely low profile in the meantime; no riding anything but my GL145, no speeding whatsoever. They hopefully will be too busy to bother over the christmas break and find something else to do.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Get a GoPro, smile to the camera/show that day's newspaper before each leg of the commute, and mount it aiming at your speedometer especially in your neighborhood. It'll be a boring month of riding, but video evidence is king.

This is an idea I like.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If by 'pond' you mean the entire pacific ocean :( I'd like to, believe me.

edit ^^^^^that is an amazing idea. wonder how fast a zx10 powered dinghy would be?

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 19, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I live in New Zealand where old people have a political party and "think of the children" is an election platform and we have (very graphic) government sponsored ads on TV featuring people getting horribly mangled/killed in car crashes followed by huge block lettering saying SPEED KILLS! The police are devoting all of their efforts in December to a speeding crackdown which means they'll forego their usual 5km/h leeway and ruthlessly ticket anyone even 1km/h over the limit in the name of public safety.

I'm going to dig out my cheap lovely old camera and mount it right in front of my cluster for a few weeks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Madness update:

Every morning, I start whichever bike I'm riding, wheel it outside, put my helmet on and close the garage with it still running as a little brief warm-up. This morning, before doing any of that, I walked down my (somewhat long, concealed, downhill) driveway and out on the street and there was no one around. I live in a cul de sac. So I proceeded with my routine. As soon as I jump on my bike and start rolling down my driveway, I see the crazy woman in her car turning around at the foot of my driveway.

She drives off up my street and I ride behind her. My street ends in a T-junction onto a long crescent which itself junctions with the same main road on either end. She turned left (the way I normally go to get to work). I deliberately turned right and went the long way to get to the main road. Cruising down the main road, I see her stopped (not parked, her foot was on the brake) by the side of the road. As I rolled past I deliberately looked straight at her and she intentionally kept looking away and pretending she couldn't see me. After I went past, a bus pulled away behind me and she pulled away behind the bus, eventually I think I just lost her in the traffic shuffle.

What in the gently caress.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The next time I see her car I'll make a note of the plate number and give the cops a call.

Coydog posted:

MISSED CONNECTIONS- W4M that shy motorcycle guy:

Waited outside ur house today, but lost my nerve and drove away. To my happy surprised you followed me but you must have lost ur nerve 2 because you sped away. Saw u later but was 2 shy to look at you. Changed my mind and tried to catch up but a bus got between then you drove away so so fast when u noticed me. I keep calling the police hoping they will pass my message along, but all I get from them is that "they will talk to you". PLEASE LOVE ME.

This is hilarious!

Coydog posted:

My condolences, Jim. I forget its not 30 and clear everywhere. No way I would risk my bike if salt was all over. Did you at least take the life of the deer that so horribly inconvenienced you?

slavvy, that lady is CRAZY and you should absolutely take steps with your local police and explain what is going on. I mean, skulking about your home, following you, calling in false police reports? This is serious stuff.

Personally, I don't understand what makes people think its OK to get up in your face when you are on a bike. I've never seen anything like it, and I ride much more reserved than I ever did in cars. Either people are 100% enamored with you and super friendly or, in most cases, think you are some villain that they own and can scold and harass. As if this is in any way acceptable or sane. As if the normal social barriers no longer exist because you are not in a car.

People need to focus more on driving and using a turn signal once in a while, and less on being nosey uninformed idiots.

Sadly the general public don't see this type of person as a lunatic here, she's a Concerned Citizen Doing The Right Thing. I'll take steps, anyway.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

yo Slavvy move to SoCal since NorCal is already full on cool peeps and we're hurting pretty badly down here

Sweet bro I'll hook the paddle wheel to the rear sprocket this w/e.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Big Kiwi is giving us a ZERO TOLERANCE FOR SPEEDING NAZI POLICY for this entire month and January and they are quite literally changing the ratio of duty cops so that there is a disproportionate number cruising the streets pinging speeders. Then when there are less road fatalities they trumpet that their presence is obviously making a difference :rolleyes:

wallaka posted:

Unless it comes on a boat/is a different colour/speaks foreign.

Fixed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

At one point in auckland there seriously was a stretch of motorway that went 100>80 ROADWORKS AHEAD>100>80 ROADWORKS AHEAD>100 with no roadworks anywhere. I've had a traffic management guy tell me that people basically ignore the temporary speed signs for roadworks now because they're

A. Ludicrously, hilariously low (I've seen 30km/h on a normally 100 road)
B. Are put up and forgotten after work is completed/paused, so they just become part of the scenery
C. Both of the above.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In NZ 40km/h over the limit gets you an instant loss of license for thirty days. The cop physically takes it off you, then you have to sort out getting your vehicle home; if it's parked somewhere illegal (like by the side of the motorway) they tow it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've found that as far as cops are concerned, either they have ridden/ride bikes and don't bother giving you poo poo, or they have no idea how fast bikes really are and think 140km/h is dangerously fast.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm so loving tired of everything I'm surrounded by in life right now, holy poo poo - need a parachute now.

What's up dude? Almost missed your post between the walls.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jesus Christ I just had the cops call me and insist that I own a red dirtbike which I use to tear it up around my neighbourhood, including the railways foot bridge and a public staircase and such. As expected, I am now being blamed for every fuckwit on a motorbike within three blocks of my house.

Oh and my buyer for the ZRX fell through so it's time for another episode of Dealing with Dickheads(tm)!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

New Zealand. It isn't nice, they can press charges based on that ridiculous claim alone. The rider "matches my description", my rear end. I wish people would just mind their own poo poo and live their own bloody lives.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The burden on me is to prove that, contrary to what my prior record and A Standup Citizen indicate, I don't, in fact, do incredibly dumb poo poo on bieks in my neighbourhood. Unfortunately NZ is very Speed Kills and because I'm young, male and have a somewhat dirty license I don't stand a chance.

I can't 'file a suit', NZ law doesn't work that way. I'd basically have to file a complaint with someone, like the police themselves or my local government representative or similar, and hope it gets investigated in a meaningful way (which it might or might not). They can't realistically charge me with anything and succeed, but they're perfectly within their rights to, say, camp on my street and speedgun me whenever they like, or ask my neighbours which vehicle I'm driving then check if that vehicle has a current rego (more on this in a bit) and so on. I'm also far, far less likely to get off with a warning for any kind of ticket, especially on my bike, because that vehicle and my license will be flagged in their system.

Most people don't realise how pervasive this is, or they just think it's a good thing, which is why people think it's an awesome idea to call the cops on someone to 'scare them straight'. My boss once lost his license and had his car impounded because of nosy neighbours trying to scare him.

To elaborate on my ticket, the registration (road tax) for my zx10 is 'on hold' which means the registration is live and valid, but the vehicle is meant to not be used on the road and is exempt from paying registration. The intent is for project cars and the like.

This is separate to a warrant of fitness, which is a mandatory bi-annual safety inspection. All my vehicles always have a current WoF; the ticket for no rego is administrative, the ticket for no warrant garners demerit points and other trouble. Registering the ZX10 for a year costs around $600; a ticket for no rego is $100. Therefore I don't bother registering it because I can't remember the last time a cop gave me more than a warning for it.

Unfortunately my neighbour decided to call the police and tell them I was riding to work on the ninja and rattled off the numberplate. Based on this alone, and the fact that the rider of the bike 'matches my description' I got a ticket for no rego in the mail. No police stop required, no confrontation with me required.

I hate living in the suburbs and I want to live in the middle of nowhere so people can just gently caress right off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coredump posted:

Jesus gently caress every bit of that. Have you go pro'ed up yet? Maybe in some small way that will help if you do have to stop and talk to the police.

I've got a lovely Chinese action cam from ages ago which I've recorded two weeks of mind-numbingly boring gl145 commute footage with so that's covered.

nsaP posted:

I dunno, kinda sounds like you were riding like an rear end in a top hat and without papers and it caught up to you...

No, I've mentioned earlier in this thread that I deliberately don't speed in my neighbourhood just to prevent something like this happening and it did anyway.

My rego is entirely up-to-date on my GL145 because I ride that every day. Registration here is seen as an administrative tax; warrant of fitness is the major one that gets you in real trouble. People always have overdue registrations without them even being on hold and 90% of the time the police don't really care. But I'm going to start paying for the zx10 as well, now that I'm being scrutinized so closely. I'm also going to invest in a radar detector; I don't normally speed around town, just out in the boonies, but you never know.

Xovaan posted:

Surburbanites are the worst. Living with a stay-at-home mom makes you realize that the phenomenon of "having nothing better to do than create this absolutely absurd scenarios in one's head to the detriment of others" is very, very real. Either ban idleness or legalize Valium, because if we don't act soon I'll have to change my stance to legalizing murder first.

Yeah, this.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nz is like that. Not too long ago a guy got charged with murder; it seemed pretty open and shut and the police pursued the case very vigorously. Eventually he was found not-guilty despite fairly overwhelming evidence and literally no other potential suspects whatsoever.

Now whenever he comes up in the media, the police are asked if they're pursuing any leads and they always give the same pointed reply: "The police are not investigating any other suspects."

Because they're 100% certain he did it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Last night, sitting in heavy traffic behind a car, because there's literally no space to filter past it (six inches between it and a bus on the right, probably less between it and the kerb on the right). Just past the car the road widens out to the left so I was just waiting for the car to move forward a bit so I could grab the space to the left or head around him if he moved left, and one of those dumb Piaggio three-wheeled scooters comes up to my right and sits behind me, then proceeds to creep forwards while the idiot riding it checks his phone (!), until he runs over my right foot. I think I shouted something witty like "You're on my loving foot" and he just looked at me funny then moved forward a bit more, knocking my mirror with his. The car in front moved and he shot forward into the non-gap between it and the bus, hitting both with his mirrors. I just rode off into the gap at the left.

What in the gently caress. Who gets that close to someone else on a bike? This whole scenario...I don't even know where to begin :psyduck:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Never done it. Best I've done was roll up next to my only mate who rides and switch off his indicator that was on for a kilometre and driving me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress me, third day of pissing rain in a row...in the middle of bloody summer. loving Auckland. God forbid I want to ride my non-lovely bike to work or something.