Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You aren't missing much tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imo the individual buttons will be one of those things like that fake carbs on a triumph, only the explicitly boomer retro custom chrome bikes will have it as a style conceit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cars are evil and terrible

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bikes are absolutely of a much higher quality than cars and have been for about forty years. Imo this is because almost everyone buying a bike is an enthusiast who gives a poo poo, will tell their friends about their experiences, will develop some degree of brand loyalty long term. Otoh almost everyone buying a car is being forced to drive out of necessity and wants the most hassle free and cost effective solution that results in them having a car that gets them from one place to another. This is why making a bike for car people is basically always doomed to failure no matter how much the manufacturers try; even the likes of the nc700 is successful because it's mostly owned by incredibly boring bike people and does little to entice car people.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Took the kiddos out on a dirt bike ride yesterday. All was well for the first couple miles, until my youngests Suzuki JR50 started acting up. At first it was stalling at stops, I'd have to kick it with the throttle wide open in order to start it, so that says rich mixture to me. I tried to tweak the carb a bit to back the air screw out, but it didn't seem to have a ton of effect. Of course it only stalled in direct sunlight, so the 90 degree weather was not super conducive to working on a hot engine. Eventually, it just straight up died and wouldnt start again.

Of course we were about 20 miles from the car and trailer at that point, so we had to rely on the kindness of a random ATV dude who offered to load the bike up on a trailer that he was pulling and take it to a gas station that was about 10 minutes away. So we left the bike there and my son hitched a ride on the RV90 with me so we could get to the car and trailer and go back to rescue his bike.

Naturally the RV90 and the CRF70 that my oldest was riding ran perfectly.

So, I'm thinking a couple things:

1) Clogged air filter. This is by far the easiest answer, and easiest to check/fix. Although I did just look at the filter this spring and it seemed fine, so I doubt thats it, not that it couldnt have inhaled the filter into the venturi or something though.
2) Float jammed open. I smacked the carb bowl with a rock a couple times, and it didnt seem to have an effect, but this still isnt out of the question.
3) Clogged pipe. Its a 50cc two stroke, so the pipe is very narrow by the head, and years of PO fuckery may have meant that it was barfing carbon into the pipe for a long time.

The PO did have a bunch of holes drilled in the airbox cover, which I assumed was the standard PO idea that "more=better", so I plugged them, but now I wonder if it was a bandaid to fix a rich running problem that they couldn't chase down.

It's the top end op

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That sounds like automatic port polishing technology to me

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Are those dummy thicc rings or a super tiny piston?

Both

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The cheap chinese piston kits for all those sorts of bikes come with much, much thinner rings that are there for a good time, not a long one. The factory designs are more or less built 'safe', the rings are big and meaty so there's more area for heat to transfer out of the piston and into the bore.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And nothing of value was lost

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imo if you decide piloting is not for you because you're worried about your impulse control, you are probably ideally suited to piloting and may well already be a Honda owner

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cv carbs are the world's earliest rider aid, they are an automatic, fully mechanical way of doing a job that requires secondary throttle butterflies, variable intake geometry, fly by wire fuckery etc to achieve on efi bikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think it's more like knowing how to read a map because you won't always have gps