Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
The one where your old bike used to do 240km on a tank of gas, new one does 200, your fuel valve is on spare, and you run out of gas running up a steep hill, 5km from a gas station. Makes me wanna scream a bit. Fortunately a friend was able to bring me a bit of fuel to get my rear end to the gas station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Phy posted:

That's the problem with cleaning your bike, you might have a wad of grimy dirt stopping up a leak

NEVER CLEAN YOUR BIKE. Dust it off with your hands, or a dustrag if you must.

Hello I am Pigpen from Peanuts comics

Is't every bike just supposed to leave a little spot of oil where ever you park it? :)

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Slavvy posted:

Honestly, when I was 20 and trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life, I didn't picture being 26 and still living pay to pay, getting financially steamrolled by the slightest setback and just being a massive failure in pretty much every way. My friends have all surpassed me enormously by now and I've basically never felt worse about myself and my situation. I don't know how many more times I can keep bouncing back (which I've been doing continuously for half a decade) before I just run out of energy and peg the speedo off a bridge. I feel like there was a manual on succeeding at life that got handed out around age 17 and I was sick on the day, and everyone around me knows something I don't. I don't have kids, don't smoke, barely ever do drugs, barely drink, don't have any real debt, but I still feel like I'm drowning. Gotta keep getting back up I guess :unsmith:

The e/n derail is now at an end, we return to your regular programming: HNasty Hates Hipsters.

I'm 39 and I make craploads to allow me to play with nice toys, but when I was 26 I was pretty much worse off than you are now: coming out of a painful divorce where the bitch got everything and left me homeless and broke.

Never despair man. Just work hard and you will make it big.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

ReelBigLizard posted:

I know too many hard working folks who are hosed to ever dare say this to anyone.

Well, that's what worked for me.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'm not saying hard work isn't the key to success, I'm just saying it's no guarantee. Sometimes life will just throw you a heap of poo poo and you have to eat it and all your hard work is washed away in a blink of an eye.

And success isn't everything either. A friend of mine used to work in premium a care home, she got to hear a lot of last words from the mouths of millionaires. Most wished they hadn't spent so much time at work.

A valid point.

I still have my toys though and enjoy quality time with the family. Guess I have a nice balance between work and fun

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
So we have this weekly meet here in Israel, every friday, at a very nice place in Tel Aviv, where a lot of bikers, classic car enthusiasts and sports car enthusiasts like to hang around. Starting two weeks ago we (bikers/sport cars) are pretty much evicted from the place by the police, new signs restricting bike traffic are up. Last friday cops placed roadblocks at every possible approach to the area, and on the way there I got pulled over.

Conversation started with: "license/registration/insurance please" which I provided and of course they are fine. Then the cop starts checking my bike. Headlights, tail light, break lights, and we come to turn signals which my harley very obviously doesn't have. Cop yells at me, and i keep telling him calmly to check his little book of laws to see why my 1993 harley doesn't have turn signals (law in Israel states that bikes manufactured in 1995 and later have to have turn signals).

In the end he starts going about my mirrors, how small they are and not functional, and about my air intake (pretty standard screamin' eagle open filter kit).

Ironically, he never mentioned the only thing that is not exactly legal on my bike which are the exhaust pipes ...

25 minutes of hassle just to tell me to go away ...

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

nsaP posted:

Man that's rough to be treated like that...and they moved in on your land? drat.

Well, considering that in the last 3 years that we did gather there there wasn't a single incident of any kind, the only loss is to the local businesses (mostly food/coffee places) that will lose a few hundred customers every friday

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Weekly rant ...

Spend almost the whole day in the shop with carburetor that keeps leaking fuel and won't stop. Needle is busted, replacement is not available locally and I have to order it from the US, and here comes the fun part. For a $10 needle I need to pay $45 shipping ...

Guess I have to find someone traveling to the US and have them bring it over ...

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Bugdrvr posted:

Why so much? Import tax? Couldn't one of us buy it here and send it to you as a gift?

shipping is expensive to Israel from the US, and this is before any taxes (hopefully something as small as a carb needle goes without taxes to begin with). I already sorted it all out. Ordered a new S&S carb and a friend will bring it over in 10 days

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
And the rants never seem to end. I ordered a new carb + manifold + throttle cables from J&P and they want me to send them a credit card statement to verify it's not fraud. Problem is all my statements are online and none has all the info they want, and they are in Hebrew ...

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
I did send them the Hebrew statement, and I just got an e-mail that my payment cleared, and I will receive shortly an e-mail with tracking number for the shipment. Go figure it out :)

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Slavvy posted:

Yeah I got one of those. It's only waterproof for the first fifteen-odd minutes and after that it just holds the water in. But that's beside the point; my jacket has a waterproof membrane. Nothing I can do about soaking wet gloves.

I'm so glad I live in a place that has 9 dry months and 3 months of "it might rain a little" each year. Last winter we had a grand total of 11 rainy days (5 of which were actually pretty extreme), but otherwise there was no need for any rain gear.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

KARMA! posted:

Don't remind me. :(

On the other hand the constant problem I face here is extreme heat in the summer. Its always above 30 degrees C, and often goes over 40. No matter how thin and webby my jacket is, i'm always hot and sweating and have to carry a lot of water even for shorter rides.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
not matter how hot it is i will have some protective gear (and it sure gets hot here).

My rant for the day: finally nice weather, not too hot, and I'm sick ...

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Same here, though my sick is entirely self inflicted. Too much beer in the sunshine yesterday!

I wish mine was self-inflicted. I caught the flu or something ...

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Rant of the day:

Finally found a buyer for my scooter that was for sale for quite a while, and the dude wanted to have it checked out by a professional (to which I didn't object).

So we both went there, with the scooter and all, and the "professional" starts checking.

For some background, scooter is a 400cc suzuki burgman that I bought new in April last year. I rode it for about 10000km (6k miles?) and semi-retired it when I got a non scooter earlier this year. It was never in an accident, never fell over, and there is barely a scratch on it. There is no rust on the chrome or brake disks, and it was even clean and dust free.

The "professional" check found out that i have a busted steering bearing, and to replace it, it would take around 6 hours of work, and parts worth an arm and a leg. To prove his point he tried to show me and the buyer how the steering gets "stuck" in the middle and how this is serious effecting the handling of the bike. Of course, neither me or the buyer could feel any problem with the steering, and the "professional" started explaining how we can't feel it but he does since he is an experienced racer.

Fortunately the guy who was buying the scooter was of reasonable sort and didn't fall for the "professional's" lame excuse for trying to extort money.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I also never got this. My local Honda place is open Saturday 9-12 and closed on Sunday, but open on Monday 8-7. Completely backwards. Who is going to the bike shop at 8AM on a Monday?

I dropped off my bike for service this morning at 8 (Monday morning for me). Got on the replacement scooter, got to work, finished work, got back to the shop and picked up the bike: good reason for a shop to be open on Monday morning 8am.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I commute on my bike and never go to the bike shop at 8AM? I dunno, it just seems counter-intuitive to me. You also need to remember this is in the US where no one would be dropping a bike off for service and getting a loaner. That really doesnt happen here.

That is pretty much standard here in every decent shop. You drop off your bike for service and get a crappy 125cc scooter for the day (for a fee, but very low one)

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Snowdens Secret posted:

Counterpoint, you could probably get from one side of your country to the other, maybe more than once, in a day's ride on a rental 125. I'd have a hard time riding one safely to work.

I could probably do quite a few cross-countries on that 125, considering that at the thin point we have something like 90km across.

Laughing aside, from the shop where I service the bike to work is under 5 miles, so the 125 does a great job. If i had to take the 125 35 miles from home to work, it would be quite a different story.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Discomancer posted:

That's every single time you get into the mountains, it seems like no driver knows what the low gear on their car is for, and anything near I-70 on a weekend, just...ugh.

But they are being helpful by speeding up when the road straightens out so you can make up some time :downs:

Reminds me of the road from Bet Semesh to Jerusalem. Cars will drop from 90km/h to 30km/h for every single bend in the road ....

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Rant of the day:

Didn't ride the whole weekend because 'reasons'. Got home after work today to find a bike with two flat tires, with both valves neatly open, and a cheeky note about loud bikes won't get you very far if there is no air in the tires. Considering that I know which neighbor hates me and my bike, I will leave you to guess whose Mitsubishi Pajero got a tank full of sugar and 5 slashed tires, and no cheeky note ...

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
You definitely won't be able to read the note since it's in Hebrew.

I did get the right guy since he knocked on my door an hour ago and started raging. Hist first like was: I let your air out as a warning and you slash my loving tires? I didn't do damage to your bike blah blah blah I will call police blah blah blah. I just slammed the door in his face (hopefully it hit him since i have this very nice steel security door).

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Chichevache posted:

:argh: They should have a yellow star next to his name or something, so I can tell him apart from the English posters.

Good. gently caress that guy. Make sure all your valuables are someplace safe and consider getting a security camera on them if they aren't. That way you can at least have the dude locked up if he fucks with your bike again.

I locked the bike up in my in-laws garage and pointed a camera at the car to see if he messes with it.

And yes, this is a proper response to some rear end in a top hat loving with my bike. This wasn't the first time he hosed with it or with me. The dude already threw a bottle at me from 3rd floor, and he spilled water on me one morning, and I just ignored him. this time around i went all the way and hosed him back. With all due respect, I don't give a gently caress about the noise my bike makes at 8am when i go to work, or at 7pm when i come back from work

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Rant of the day: Busted belt = no riding today ....

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

HotCanadianChick posted:

Shaft drive supremacy :smugdog:

Couldn't agree more. I dearly miss my old driveshaft yamaha ...

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Sagebrush posted:

Lose some weight, fatty

As long as the bike weighs more than I do, i'm good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
Sold my bike. Worst decision ever ...

Well, there was a reason behind the sale which is a sorry state of my back, my 100km daily commute and the fact I was riding a cruiser, but I still regret the decision ...