Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I once put on some eurobeat mixtape. I had fun that ride :)

Also some tunes that make it very hard to sit still on the seat. I wonder what the other people on the road were thinking. Probably at least a few 'Gah, that biker is having way too much fun, let's ask the legislators to prohibit something'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Real SV's have curves!

(just kidding. The pointy SV looks quite good, and woof that bottom fairing <3 and i kinda want a late model of those with ABS to replace my curvy 1999 model without, but i can't justify the cost...)

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

For scooters/mopeds, the system will work brilliantly, although you may have to sacrifice some of the under seat storage space.
But for larger stuff, there is a whole stack of issues. For sports bikes, active cooling might be necessary, and in most cases you also have the awkward form factor of 'stuffing as many cells in there as possible' to get an acceptable range. Same with cars. Getting rid of the heat is a serious engineering task, that is already consuming quite a lot of space in a conventional electric car. If you'd split the battery up into smaller units, each with coolant fittings that can be plugged in and out several hundreds or thousands of times, and foolproof electric contacts, it would really eat into the range of the whole battery system (when you keep the dimensions and/or weight fixed).

As of yet, most sports bike batteries are where normally the engine would have been, and the weight is in that ball park too.
That kinda rules out swapping batteries on bigger bikes.

I'm not too worried about people wrecking the batteries by deep discharge and flogging them. If you get a battery back 90ish % discharged, then the charger could completely discharge it, and then charge it fully. Then you know the precise capacity of the battery pack, and when it is out of spec you lock it out and ping the supplier to replace it. Recording the number of cycles is also pretty easy to engineer in. Give it a real time clock running on a separate battery like the cmos battery in you PC, and you can also register if the user has left it deep discharged and fine them for that. For instance when you drain the battery to an indicated 0% (it'll have some overhead so it's actually at 5% or so), then leave it for a few months so it will actually be at 0% charge - that will hurt the battery and in such cases it should be cycled and if it has gone bad, the previous user charged for that.

The battery can also communicate with the vehicle to display the amount of charge in it, so you have an expectation of how much range you can expect from that specific battery.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 6, 2021

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Oh no, that poor panigale :(

That must be the stupidest crash ever. I can think of so many ways to have avoided it...

E: not saying i wouldn't ever do stupid stuff - but good lord, i feel so stupid when i do something stupid. And it should be called out when i do.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 11, 2021

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

It's a modern bike, and he's not leaning over. Squeeze the poo poo out of the brakes and the bike's brilliant silicon mind will figure it out for him.
Also, not approaching an intersection with a waiting car so fast.
Or waiting until the car has decided clearly on which lane it wants to be, before overtaking.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Finger Prince posted:

My favourite torque spec was the flight deck switches on airbuses that had teeny tiny machine screws that were to be torqued to 5 inch-lbs. There was even a special teeny tiny calibrated torque screwdriver you were supposed to use to ensure you didn't wreck them.

There are also special torque-screwdrivers for mains wiring screw terminals. But those actually make sense. Too tight and you'll wreck the little screw with ease, too loose and the connection will be fine at first, but work itself lose over the course of a decade of heat cycling, and then start to arc/smolder.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The book was written in 1929.
This guy was doing those speeds in the 1920s. Impressive.
Look at those loving brakes. They are the size of a cheap moped's.

Planes can appear very slow or even stationary, seen from the ground, if they have a high enough headwind. It's air speed that keeps them in the air. With a 30mph headwind and a permissible (and attainable) air speed of 120mph, the ground speed of the plane would have been 90mph and it would have been a close race indeed.

Also, i love the writing. Taking an autobahn trip in Germany feels very similar. The wind roar, the arm that practically gets ripped off if you dare to remove it from the handle bars, the undulations in the road...

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 5, 2021

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Because shopping trips inexplicably take much longer on motorcycles, than they do by car.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Some bikes have pretty strong engine braking, comparable to lightly applying the brakes. It would make sense that if you engine brake as hard as 'normal brake' braking, that the brake light comes on.

I tend to do it manually. If i do 7000rpm in 2nd gear, and let go of the throttle, i don't need the brakes to quickly lose speed. Drivers don't expect such a loss of speed without a brake light, so even if i don't actually use any brake force, i tend to slightly push the rear brake so the light comes on.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Coydog posted:

THAT is hilarious.

Seconding that this happens to me all the time. Remember the mantra "smells come from ahead of the bike".

Until you come to a stop and are overtaken by your own exhaust fumes lol. Bikes without a catalytic smell quite a bit. For a while i thought mine was running way too rich but the heavy smell is just normal, i guess :)

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Cal Rider (the guy in the meticulously polished Dainese suit) was a gay leather fetish model and personality, so that explains why he knew exactly how to pose in bike leathers. ATGATT is taken literally by some of them lol.

(side note: he passed away in 2019, which was a huge loss for the community cause he was one of the sweetest, most down to earth people i've ever seen. Couldn't be more different from the average 'influencer' or super model. His insta still has 13,5k followers, 2 years later)

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

AAARGH. Godfuckingdamnit.

About 2,5 years pass and i didn't damage my helmet (HJC IS-17, with iridium visor) a single time.

Half a year ago, i was distracted by some guy calling me over, so i put my helmet on the seat instead of as usual on the right mirror. While chatting, the helmet rolled off and smacked onto the visor. Both hinges snapped off, but helmet and visor otherwise undamaged. Fffuck. Oh well. Ordered new hinges and all is well again.

Two weeks ago, riding my new one-mirrored FZR600 (a pair of original ones are waiting to be mounted) i put the helmet on the seat. It sat there for 5 minutes before sliding off and landing on the visor again. Visor is a nice iridescent one, now with a nasty gash through the pretty blue layer.

Today, i had my helmet slung over my shoulder with a rifle strap. Somehow it came undone and AGAIN smashed into the ground, right onto the visor, semi-snapping one of the hinges AGAIN, and now scratching the visor beyond being usable.

gently caress. Fuckfuckfuck. I hereby proclaim my helmet cursed and will interpret this as the signal to go helmet shopping again. I don't think the internal polystyrene foam is damaged or anything, but i'm just so done with this thing, and although it looks very good - investing about 70 bucks for a new visor and new hinges for a 200 buck helmet that only fits perfect if i wear a balaclava is a bit much.

Ugh. So annoyed.
/rant

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I was watching Alice in Borderland, a japanese series about being trapped in a malicious game world (no, not squid game, this one is a bit older).

The protagonists need a vehicle, because an EMP wiped out all electrics. They find a 'special' bus that still has functioning electrics because of the game mechanics i guess, but can't start it because the tank is empty. They notice something about 'model year carburetor'.

Then they found an Enfield. Very specifically said it's one on diesel. They decide to fill up the bus with the diesel (wait what, the bus had a carburetor? I mean, gasoline buses exist so okay).
But they say they can't start the enfield because the electrics are gone. So they push the bike for like 6 kilometers.

THE ONE DEFINING CHARACTERISTIC OF A DIESEL ENFIELD IS THAT IT WILL RUN EVEN IF AN EMP TOASTED ALL ELECTRICS. Sigh. YOU COULD HAVE RIDDEN THE GODDAMN THING BECAUSE IT HAS NO IGNITION AND YOU CAN KICKSTART IT.

/rant

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

There are tons of hot guys in there too :3 but they were literally like
"HEY DUDE! THAT'S A ROYAL ENFIELD IT IS A SPECIAL MODEL THAT RUNS ON DIESEL!"
"OH YEAH DUDE, YOU REALLY KNOW YOUR BIKE STUFF"
"LET'S WALK IT TO THE BUS AND THEN USE THE DIESEL TO START THE BUS"

So i couldn't not-see it.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I think the 325cc thing is indeed the only standard production one, but there are relatively many people who shoved their own Lombardini (or chinese clone) diesel into a Bullet frame.

Aside from that, Sommer makes partially Royal Enfield-based diesel bikes with real german Hatz engines in them: http://www.motorradmanufaktur.de/index.php
They have a list of parts and where they came from somewhere on their site.

But i think they used a normal bullet in the shot. i recognize the large cooling ribs on the cylinder. Usually those are hidden by fan shrouds on the diesel bikes.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

That's a ridiculous amount of money for a battery, even for a Yuasa one

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Only thing i can imagine is that the injection is set up in such a way that it keeps injecting fuel (like a carbureted engine) while engine braking, to reduce how aggressive the engine braking is.
In that case coasting with the engine idle could consume less fuel.

Coasting in a bike is bad. Software engineers should've known to not make it light up in that case.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I sometimes use Lush Powdered Sunshine. It is sun screen but it's a dry powder.
It does not work as well as standard sun screen, but it does actually work. I get sun burn really easily so for me, it's important to wear some even if i'm only outside for about an hour. For those moments it's ideal. Because it is dry, you don't feel sticky or greasy. The powder clings to your skin, but not in the gross way standard sun screen does.

If i spend hours outside, i wear standard but unperfumed sun screen.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I bought some kind of rifle sling with 2 little carabiner like clips. Clipped the clips together. Chin strap of the helmet used to clip to the sling. Easy and very compact way to carry your helmet.
Alternatively i use the helmet as a shopping basket for getting a few things from a supermarket underway, or clip the helmet to either the straps or the handle of my backpack (bit annoying, it always swings around).

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

My SV does exactly 202km/h on GPS, which is nice because that's the top speed of the fastest steam train ever. The speedometer said 220.

Up to 180km/h it's pretty chill to ride. The wind takes some weight off your wrists. Above that it starts to feel a bit more sketchy. It was a pretty brutal experience. Hurricane winds as soon as you dare to get above the windshield. The exhaust so hot, that the radiant heat could be felt through my boot despite the 200km/h wind cooling it down. Despite the wind noise, the engine was screaming. You see a truck in the distance, you close in on it rapidly. With a bit of side wind, you first get sucked off course, then blown back again when the wind reappears from behind the truck. And slowing down from 200 to 100 is weird, because you squeeze those brakes pretty hard and after a few seconds you realize you're still doing normal highway speeds.

Also random tar snakes in a corner. That really surprised and scared me. I thought 'this could be it' but turns out, they were plenty grippy. Not all tar snakes are created equal. But sheesh. There was no time to brake. I just kept a neutral throttle position (no acceleration, no deceleration) and hoped for the best. Didn't notice any loss of traction :)

It's a weird sensation, doing that for half an hour and then realizing you just covered 100km. Also it cost me 10 liters of gasoline. Still, 10 liters per 100km at 200km/h isn't too bad of a score.

No idea how fast the FZR is. Previous owner doesn't know either, reckons it's between 200 and 220km/h too.
Hope to get the opportunity to try it out before Germany instates a speed limit which doesn't seem too unlikely to me, because they have a pretty centre-left government these days. Which is excellent in many ways, but getting speed limits would be sad.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 16, 2022

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Ulf posted:

At some point surely there will be a standardized radar retroflector I can just put on my motorcycles and bicycles to light them up for any self-driving vehicles.

I’m one of the optimists that thinks self-driving cars might be less likely to hit me than human-driven. Could be wrong, we will see.

Doesn't work when Tesla insists on relying mostly on their cameras to recognize vehicles, sadly.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I wouldn't think they are that great in the snow. They appear to have pretty little weight on that single rear wheel. I have no experience with them, but they look like they would get stuck at the merest suggestion of a snowy incline or a wheel-sized hole in the snow.

I think you're better off with a VW Beetle (the real one) with all that good weight on its rear end.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Could it be your bike is not running quite right, dumping too much unburnt/half burnt fuel into the exhaust, which eventually pops and might damage the exhaust baffles?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Gen 1 SV650s: remove pillion seat with key. Get out tool roll. Remove 2 hex head screws and 2 clips that keep on plastic cladding. Remove 2 philips screws holding on the seat.
It's bloody stupid, especially with the cladding being held on with different screws than the seat.

FZR600 3he: Remove the pillion seat with key. Rider seat can now be lifted out.
Done.

Whyyyy, Suzuki?!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Christ, i had the scariest ride in my whole life today. When i left, there was a moderate wind. No big deal, have ridden on windy days plenty of times.

At first, i just had a pretty strong head wind, 5bft as reported by some weather stations. No big deal. Just had to give it some extra throttle and tuck in. However, around Schiphol airport, the highway turned to be almost to perpendicular the wind, with 7 or 8 bft gusts. I felt like i was riding at the absolute limit of traction on the front wheel, practically unable to keep a straight line. I was one gust away from moving onto the hard shoulder and crawling along at city speeds, just because it didn't feel safe anymore.

I ended up exiting the highway about 8km down the road, to find a safer route through cities and on slower roads. I stopped, to check if my tires were still hard and whether i didn't have oil dripping on my tires because i was thrown around so much that i suspected there was more wrong than just the wind - but no. Bike was completely fine (except for the horn that quit working for some reason). I put on my rain suit too, because the ridiculous wind ripped through my perforated leathers and made me very cold.

On the way back, i had mosty a tail wind and that didn't bother me much, except when the wind and road again started to turn perpendicular. I exited the highway before a large flyover construction where i'd be 20m up into the air with a perpendicular wind, finding a way through Amsterdam's port area to a place where i felt i could safely enter the highway again.

Be safe, folks. Don't let 'get there-itis' get you, take it slow if you have to.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Yay, good weather, now i can ride comfortably in my leathers instead of in multiple layers of textile.

God loving damnit why is it SO loving BUSY everywhere. I honestly had a better ride in the rain a while back than today.
I was gonna tag along with a Kawasaki test ride because they usually do nice routes, but their group decided to stay in a traffic jam and not filter (completely understandable) but i really didn't feel like being stationary for a good 10 minutes so i filtered and went my own way.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 8, 2023

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Oh god loving damnit.

All brake parts for the SV arrived. I start removing the calipers and poo poo.

They're so dirty that i don't trust the brake lines to be any good anymore. A little voice is telling me 'Just flush them, it'll be fine, the FZR's brake lines turned out to be fine too after destructively tearing them down' and then obviously i'll regret it 2 years later when the freshly cleaned calipers are dirty again because of muck hiding in the brake lines.

I'm so loving tired from work, i finally have some vacation, and now this bullshit. Both FZR and SV out of service. I anticipated 'some' dirt in the SV's system and only having to clean out the calipers and put new seals into them, but not to having to tear down the complete brake system.

[muffled screams]

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 23, 2023

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Everything except for the caliper bodies and pads is gonna be replaced. Ordered new braided brake lines and pistons. Brake master already has a revision set installed. New rubber parts for the calipers have already arrived.
The rear will get the same treatment, if it turns out to be just as full of muck, but it works fine for now and the priority is on getting the front working. I'll do the rear too, somewhere before summer vacation. I forgot if i actually already ordered the revision kit or not.

Pistons turned out to be pitted all over the part that sticks out *beyond* the fluid seal (so the area between the two seals, and what contacts the pads). Probably at some point, in winter, salty ice water worked its way behind the probably already not-perfect-anymore dust seal, and sat and festered there for a while.

The bores are still perfect with their original machining pattern and no other marks in it, but the pistons would wreck the new dust seal within a few years due to the pitting in them. Did a quick try to fix them up but it was hopeless.

It would've been cheaper to buy new 2nd hand calipers, but god knows in what condition those would be. At this point my brain is mush from work, and i'd rather spend a few bux extra on the stuff i know exactly in what condition it is, than to mount used calipers and find out that they needed a revision kit anyway. I don't have the brain power to research what type of better calipers would fit the bike without modifying anything.

Anyway, time to ride my bicycle to the parts shop to get the FZR600's fuel pump and some fresh fuel line. At least if i install that i'll have one fully functional bike again. Should be a small job... Words that have been spoken in error many times.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 25, 2023

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I had someone behind me in a little 2000s shitbox in a tunnel with both dipped beams broken. I tried to gesture that here lights were broken, but idk if she understood. I hope she never drives in the actual dark...
I wanted to shuffle alongside her at the next traffic light but she went another way and i got a green, so /effort.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Filter to the front as much as you can at a traffic light. Then you have a generous amount of crumple zone between you and your rear wheel.
I don't always do it, but whenever i'm the last in line i try to scoot forward a couple places.

Checking your mirrors before braking is part of driver's education here, to such a degree that if you don't do it, you can fail the test. Keep doing it. Don't brake (or at least don't brake hard) if you're not completely sure that whatever's behind you will also stop in time.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I had to read it multiple times before understanding what they meant with forgiveness event. My mind first went to student debt forgiveness. Then maybe some tax thing. Then i read the 'trade up from X' thing and it finally dawned on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Once set up and clean, carbs are amazing things. Pay someone to do that every 5 years and you're good.

However, you have to have a bit of finesse with them. A bit, not a whole lot. Just get a feel for when your bike starts easiest at X temperature, resulting in Y choke and or X throttle. So far the only really sucky thing i've experienced is carb freezing. I'll ask the shop if they have the heater cartridges for me so i can mount those because it's a solved issue, just one that people often try to save money on, because many don't ride in winter.