Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Quite A Tool posted:

Really who doesn't want to do a triple digit cropdust though.

Just remember, while wearing full leathers, you will only cropdust yourself. At the next stop light, no matter how far away it is.

edit: Hasn't stopped me from trying, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

the bsd boys posted:

I'd just like to say that getting stuck behind a group of supercars doing 10 kph under the speed limit on a great road is the single most frustrating thing in the entire world.

I think the only time I ever saw a group of supercars actually being driven above the speed limit on a twisty mountain road was a road test by a magazine. Car & Driver, IIRC.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

TheNothingNew posted:

I do hope that wasn't an insult I gave a thumbs-up to.

I find that giving the thumbs up or saying "Hey, thanks!" confuses that sort. Which is why I do it.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

nsaP posted:

Basically, I'd like a 'group ride' of me and 3-4 friends who's competence and levelheadedness I can trust.behind me doesn't run up my exhaust.
Quoted the part of this I wanted to agree with. Never join large rides unless it's for charity or something. Fun rides require friends and similar riding speeds.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Slavvy posted:

Lane splitting story

I rode in CA for 17 years, and miss lane splitting. But as much as I look forward to the day it becomes legal in TX (came close a couple of years ago), I also dread it. I can see too many idiots taking my gliding past them at a whole 10 mph is a challenge to a duel is not something to look forward to.

Won't stop me from doing it, though.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Digital_Jesus posted:

Lol she can't even get on it. She's 5'0".

Had a girlfriend who rode, and she shared my love of sportbikes. Unfortunately, at 5'2", even a Ninja 250 was too tall for her to feel comfortable on. But even though she rode a Yamaha Route 66 (250cc cruiser), she got way more than her share of the guys who would say crap about how they were much too fast to ride a bike, they would kill themselves/go to jail/get abducted by aliens or whatever because they were so awesome.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

HotCanadianChick posted:

I think it helps to not be a gigantic sasquatch westerner like half the posters here in CA (seriously, I've never in my life seen so many references to XXL clothing as in the gear thread here; goons are giants among men apparently).

According to Racetech's calculator, for my weight the ideal spring rate on my bike would be .95 kg/mm, and my stock springs are .92 kg/mm, so stock isn't too far off from what it should be for my weight - but I'm also under 6' and exercise regularly so I'm not a hambeast and just wear size M gear.

Exercise is relative, depending on your muscularity/height. My in shape weight was 265 lbs, and I am nowhere near that kind of shape anymore. I did used to get some offhanded compliments from the fast guys at track days. "Wow, you are really quick for a guy your size!"

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

n8r posted:

A simple suspension that is tuned by a motorcycle manufacturer is full of compromises but at least those compromises are engineered to work well. I owned two SV650s back years ago and the best handling version was the stock non hosed with S model. The non S I had was never stock to begin with and it flat out didn't work as well.

Agreed, until you are in the outer 10% of the Bell curve on rider size, either way. I have a tiny friend who had a GSXR750 that he had to severely soften the spring/damping to fit his (lack of) size. Meanwhile, I had to respring my FZR1000 in order to handle my overgrown self.

He did want to go to Halloween as Master/Blaster. I vetoed that, because I wouldn't get to talk.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

I left a disk lock in once and nearly dropped the bike. Unlike that guy, though, I realize what I had done after only one aborted attempt to move. Still felt pretty dumb after doing it.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

ShaneB posted:

That's why they sell those $5 plastic reminder cables that loop to your grip.

Yeah, I'm old. This was before those were available. At the time, it was thought that the bright colors (mine was yellow) would be enough to deter that kind of stupidity. Well, I showed them!

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

adary posted:

Rant of the day: Busted belt = no riding today ....

You could try some suspenders.

Sagebrush posted:

Lose some weight, fatty

What's a brother going to do when he's Samoan?

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Shimrod posted:

This cracks me up when people say why do you wear gear all the time if you only need it when you're going to crash.

Because, um, I don't know when I'm going to crash, not like it's gonna be planned.

What, you didn't check the crash schedule before you left the house?

Sagebrush posted:

This terrifies me. I don't know what happens on a motorcycle when a rope gets wrapped around the wheel, but having gone down hard a couple of times on my bicycle as a kid when a dangling backpack strap or something got caught in the spokes, I am religious about not having anything loose and flappy that could get anywhere near the wheels. :ohdear:

At one job, I had this great little protected alcove where I would park my bike. The only downside was that was where the outside hose was kept. One night I left work without noticing that part of the hose was in my chain. Pulled out, rode about 20 feet, and ran out of hose. Luckily, I was only going about 2 mph, so the fall was more annoying than damaging.

I would not want to try something similar at more than the walking pace I was going.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

How in the what in the gently caress?

Long day, hurry to get home, basic stupidity. Lesson learned.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

No, he means the mechanics of it.

I wasn't put there on purpose, someone used the hose and then just carelessly dropped it. I usually looked for things like that, but didn't that time. Now I do a quick walk/look around while the bike is warming up.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 2, 2014

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

I have never gotten a puncture on a motorcycle.
:c00lbert:

Saying anything like that is the kiss of death. I once said something even dumber, "I haven't gotten a ticket in a year and a half!" Then I got two in the next two days. Ouch.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Marxalot posted:

The operative word here is "theoretically". Most truck drivers are decent, but I see alot of them at work that I wouldn't trust with my $700 Ford Explorer.

e: To clarify a bit. Alot of the guys I work with are really good at their jobs. You can expect a few drivers to suck with the sheer quantity I work with, but the amount of lovely drivers that I see -with hazmat licenses- is kind of scary in a way.

My now retired dad drove trucks for over 40 years, and he did mention a general drop in driver quality before he retired. Most are still just as good, but more bad drivers seem to be getting licensed and hired.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
I (finally) catch up to the thread, and the last post was 9 days ago? My rant is not enough ranting!

OK, I lied. My real rant is screwing up my back, just a few weeks after buying my ZX14. This bike is amazing, and not just for the power.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Barnsy posted:

VFR lyfe.

Adjust chain: loosen lug nut, crank with tool, tighten lug nut.

One thing I miss about my VFR was both the center stand and the ease of rear wheel/chain maintenance. I still have the chain adjustment tool, any DFW goons need one?

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

PCOS Bill posted:

I think I'd crush a Grom if I fully sat on one. There was one at the Honda dealer near me when I went in for something earlier this year, but it was sold so I just straddled it to see how it was for size instead of sitting fully on it and it felt so little.

Yeah, me too, yet they look like fun. I have a local Grom rider who returns my "motorcyclist wave" with a wheelie. Every time. I like that.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Slavvy posted:

Some people like different things. I like the longevity and wet grip of pilot roads/powers but the feel leaves a lot to be desired; PR4's especially feel really nervous when leaned and like they're never up to temperature for me. Angel GT's are an excellent alternative and feel much more sporty; actual Pirelli sportbike tyres blow other brands out of the water as far as I'm concerned, only dunlops get close to the kind of feel you get.

Dunlop roadsmarts are also really, really good. But also retarded expensive and horrible to mount.

^^^^This^^^^ PR4s let my traction control kick in in even in what I would consider moderate throttle levels, but they are great in the wet. The Pirellis may be my next choice, but, I have to ask, do they have the triangular section that I never found comforting? Failing that, the Dunlops may be my next choice.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Z3n posted:

Yeah my experience is that tires broadly vary in characteristics depending on the bike. I don't mind pushing the bar a little harder to get the bike to turn, as I can make the bike turn faster but I can't make it more stable.

^^^^ This. I am about the size of a shaved bear, so turn-in is not an issue. But the feel at max lean is very important to me.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Space Whale posted:

My first set of new tires are some gpr300s. Can attest. Shop that mounted them had them inflated to nearly max f / max r. Swing arm says 28/32 psi. Felt like hinged hockeypucks at that insane pressure.

Even at 28/32 it's got that stiffness but now I'm wondering what pressures to even run. Bike is 380 lbs wet (ninja 300) and I'm 210lbs before gear.

They feel great, at least if it's not near-freezing and wet anyway.

My bike in nearly 600lbs, without me or the luggage. (ZX14s are heavy, and so am I). I run near the factory specs, but YMMV. The PR4s I am currently using seem to have more grip at lower pressures, so I will keep doing that for a while.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

Sometimes motorcycles just make people irrationally angry. :shrug: If you encounter road rage from someone else (or especially yourself) just make like an xbox 360 and drive away.

I wish I had saved and posted the video, but had a brodozer Dodge Ram get all angry at me for some reason last year. I passed him, in the #1 lane, while barely above the speed limit. He was in the #3 lane, at a bit below the limit. So, a slow motion pass, with a lane as a buffer. Suddenly, he is in the next lane, leaning out his window, screaming at me and giving me the finger. A bit of ZX14 acceleration put him behind me for good, but I had no idea what set him off.

I reviewed the video when I got home, and still had no idea what triggered him. I should have saved and posted it, in retrospect. Maybe he just is like a cartoon bull, and bright red sets him off?

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

pokie posted:

Some rear end in a top hat on my morning commute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_FlSmFgT2Q

Not a huge deal, but, still... Some people find new ways to surprise me.

Something about the 350/370z and G35/37 seems to attract a certain type of douche. Anecdotal, I freely admit.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

As a g35 owner and lifelong douche, I concur.

Ah, but is a self-aware douche still a douche? A question for the ages.

I have a ZX14R, so judgements are something I deal with, too. (Especially from traffic cops.)

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Ripoff posted:

Don’t worry about it, people are people and you can’t change their minds. A knucklehead I know told me that he originally wanted to buy a Ninja 500 as a starter bike, to which I was incredibly enthusiastic and supportive, telling him to go take the MSF, what helmets to buy, etc etc.

A few months later it’s become a “well I’m just gonna buy an R6 and just not take it over 7,000 rpm, and it’s only an extra 100cc anyways I’ll be fine.” I told him to ensure he’s on the organ donor list and to set aside a few hundred for fairings if he still feels like riding after the first time he whisky throttles it.

Still waiting for him to buy it and the eventual crash story later.

A friend's son recently asked me "What do you think about Gixxers?" since I have been a sport bike rider since shortly after the earth cooled, and, even at my advanced age (in his eyes, at least), ride a ZX14R. I told him, "Great bikes! But don't buy one. It is your first bike, not your last bike."

He still hasn't bought one, so hopefully (fingers crossed) he will take my advice. He is a good kid, and seemed to take it to heart when I told him that any bike will feel fast to him, since he does not have the skill set yet to properly control one. And a supersport will do exactly what you tell it to do, even if you don't know you are telling it to high side. Far too responsive for a beginner.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 13, 2018

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Slavvy posted:

They're just really aggressive by any measure. Very track oriented suspension, pretty vicious throttle response by 600 standards, much more low down grunt than a 4 cylinder, absolutely brutal riding position. Like any 600SS is a terrible idea for a first bike and the Daytona is just the best, and therefore worst, of the lot.

I can see someone with extraordinary self control and good judgment (or a throttle lock) learning on a Gixxer 600 or cbr600rr because they're fairly friendly at low speed but what's the point really.

Yammie Noob is the most well documented case of this. I ride many of the same roads he shows in his vids, and have yet to put myself in the hospital on them. I have even seen yellow Porsches and somehow managed to not crash into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Right, but even Rossi crashes, and you haven't, which suggests that you're just not as good a rider as Yammienoob.

Touche', sir. Touche'. I shall endeavor to find a Porsche to slam into next time I am out.

But, thinking back on it, I have had 4 crashes on the street, all minor, and due to being in a place that inspired overconfidence, and thus, inattentiveness. Track crashes? We won't speak about those.