Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Challenge accepted: affix truck nutz to Buell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Ouch. The law here is to stop at occupied crosswalks, so I think it's probably OK to go through. If you're up on the curb looking indecisive, you aren't occupying the crosswalk right?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
What counts as a crosswalk where you are? In WA and OR at least, any street corner is a crosswalk even if there's no paint, bricks, raised walk, or anything.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Deeters posted:

gently caress steel grate deck bridges, and especially gently caress whoever put them in the middle of the interstate.

There's one over the Columbia River between Hood River and White Salmon that gives me the creepiest feeling. Might be the high winds, might be that I looked down. Don't look down.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You were... busy with the clutch.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I am bummed they are finally replacing all those Crown Vics. I don't know the Caprice headlight pattern yet!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'd claim it, you aren't going to be dealing with a deductible since she was at fault. Her liability should pay you out 100% for what you need to fix. Heck insist to have it safety inspected and get a free checkup out of it :)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Coydog posted:

Today is the second day in a row someone has snapped over without looking and driven me off of the road into the gutter. Yesterday I was lucky to get free when they passed before I hit a mailbox sticking out. The guy didn't even react, and actually lost speed so even my braking was matched and I had nowhere to go.

Today was some lady in a 7 series. Bus stopped in front of her and she just went from slowing behind it and snapping hard into my lane. Both days I had a car in front and in back, and couldn't go anywhere.

Needless to say, I'm still pretty furious, and wish I had broken the side mirror of yesterdays driver. At least the BMW lady gave me a "omg I'm so sorry" wave when I started going to town on her at the next light. Truck from yesterday? Lazy redneck slack jaw retard stare as I passed him on the other side.

How hard is it to just LOOK where you are moving your many ton death machine? HOW HARD?!

One day you'll develop the telepathy you need to see that coming in advance and not be there in the first place. I am not joking.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I usually try to be where I can see the other driver in their side view mirror. Not foolproof, some people will look directly through you, but I figure a rung on the safety ladder is a rung on the safety ladder. Besides if I can see them in their side view, they're far enough ahead to not be a big deal when they jump lanes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's the same here. In fact it's even legal to sit at a stop light texting and stuff as long as the vehicle is stationary, which is a recipe for suddenly realizing the light is green and running me over after I've given up waiting on their right of way.

I like to use the law to my advantage by pleading moving violations down to cell phone tickets.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

M42 posted:

Went to get some food truck good eatin'. Standing there in atgatt awaiting samosas, this older dude's like "you hot in that? I don't even wear anything, just like a tshirt when I ride". I don't even say anything aside from "haha, yeahhh" anymore.

It is loving hot in gear though, that's the second part of my rant :supaburn:

There's a point where it's cooler to hide in your gear, I think it's like 90F or close to that according to some Iron Butt article I vaguely recall reading. Above that it's just hot whatever you do, but without gear the convection of the hot air moving over your skin just keeps warming you up.

For me there's a pretty small window where wearing no gear is even comfortable, temperature-wise - like 80f-90f. And at that point, the sun will probably be out and burning me to a crisp unless I re-apply sunscreen twice between gas stops so it's easier to just wear the gear.

e: here it is http://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/ironbutt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 5, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

captainOrbital posted:

Sumo, Long-Distance and Fast/Urban.

3 Ulysseses?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

wait, do you have a Buell or something? :monocle:

e: actually I can't remember if it's you or Safety Dance who talks about Buell Buell Buell Buell Buell Buell.

100% Safety Dance

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Lynza posted:

(bee in your skin, legs super-heated from the engine, sunburn).

Given a sufficient quantity of miles, none of that is avoidable.

I've had a hornet somehow manage fly up the sleeve of my leather jacket on the interstate and sting me multiple times and I've a horse fly go down the back of my jacket and begin feasting. On a separate occasion, I got stung through my mesh on my thigh.

My neck and nose always burn on the bike and the rest of me does in 5 minute intervals at gas stations.

And I can tell you a thing or two about leg burns through mesh

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's like listening to a techsupport guy go on about his users - and just as annoying.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I split across the bay bridge on my vstar bagger. They're was room but it was a mirror slalom.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You don't like the battery-in-antenna design?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
PVC rain suit

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

Yeah I got one of those. It's only waterproof for the first fifteen-odd minutes and after that it just holds the water in. But that's beside the point; my jacket has a waterproof membrane. Nothing I can do about soaking wet gloves.

If it seeps it's not pvc, that stuff is nonporous, they make sewer drains out off the stuff. I've done hundreds of miles at a time though rain and a couple high plains thunderstorms in my cheapo pvc suit and it keeps everything it covers bone dry. My gloves, helmet, and boots on the other hand are a different discussion.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

OSU_Matthew posted:

Seems as though foot dragging is completely intractable, so why don't we talk about something we can all agree on?

I went to fill up my bike the other day, and thought I'd try the CA-approved™ method of filling up while sitting on the bike.

Besides feeling lazy, weird, and potentially dangerous (were I to accidentally lean over far enough that gas could slosh out of the open tank), what killed the supposedly magical experience for me were the fumes. Good god how can you people stand to be that close to the filling nozzle?

I put my side stand down for this job so I don't actually balance anything. I've never had the sensation of danger, CA is weird with fear.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

Your story sounds like it really sucks, so I'm sorry, but I just read this and have to go lol what the gently caress. Who designs a vehicle that way? That's as bad as the cab-forward Mopars where you have to take off the front wheels to remove the battery.

It sounds scarier than it is, it's about an hour's labor round trip for an amateur. We did it to fix a rocker box leak on my friend's Uly. I think it's a small price to pay for riding one of the greatest motorcycles ever conceived. For perspective, when replacing the clutch cable on a Vstar it takes longer to get the tank, header, and all the doodad covers off and back on again.

Anyhow this is why the Harley powered Buells are superior, you don't need to do a valve adjustment ever.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Snowdens Secret posted:

This sounds retarded and unsafe.

That sounds like a dick move. If people are passing you on the right with any regularity, you need to get over, for your own safety and the others on the road. I personally don't hang out in the far left anyway because it seems cops are more likely to pull people in that lane over.

I figure I am just about as safe in the right lane if I pay attention at on-ramps. Besides, camping in the left lane is illegal (and highly obnoxious) in Washington, and I am pretty sure in California as well.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Do cops actually enforce the "left lane is for passing only" thing where you guys are? I have never heard of anyone getting ticketed, pulled over, or even warned for that around here.

WSP had a campaign about it a couple years ago. http://www.king5.com/news/local/Left-lane-campers-get-watchful-eye-from-Washington-State-Patrol-117754594.html

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Which insurance company? So we know which company to not get a policy with...

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

The internet greatly overstates how bad the stock suspension on the SV is and greatly overstates how much benefit the typical fixes are.

I don't really know how you could overstate how bad the worst possible suspension is.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Akion posted:

Go ride an Iron 883, then come back and say that. I sold it 3 weeks ago and my back still hurts.

Ever rode an sv? Those are gut punchers without the benefit of a sporty's mass.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I am pretty sure you don't need to be outriding a lovely suspension for it to be lovely.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
For reals though the suspension is the best part of a Buell. On paper they may have middling Showa components, but Erik really knows how to set up a bike that can handle. My SV650-riding friend's first words coming off my Uly for the first time was "so that's what a suspension is like".

The next thing he said was "something something tractor engine" but it sounded more like "cluck cluck cluck" to me.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not seeing a lot of resitance to lateral flex there unless the Harley gearbox and bottom end is really ridiculously overengineered, which seems unlikely given just how meaty the wraparound section of the Buell frame is. Fairly sure Harley engines aren't normally stressed at all, so gently caress knows what that does to things.

I bet the Buell frame could be slimmer if it didn't need to hold 5 gallons of fuel.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

Yours holds five gallons? My holds a goddamn thimbleful.

Yeah that was hyperbole, it's 4.5 from dead to brimmed. I think there's a quarter gallon that hides in the right spar too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I'm pretty much done being mad at retard bicyclists, if they want to buy me a new bumper or pay my medical bills, their next of kin can be my guest.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Smudgie Buggler posted:

My problem isn't with the fact that it's an objectively good idea to take every precaution possible short of not riding a motorcycle at all in view of the fact that many drivers are malicious idiots, but with the idea that it's our fault if we get hosed up by someone else's stupidity. This fucker was straight-up victim-blaming motorcyclists for falling prey to arsehole drivers. It's the idea of assuming moral culpability for your own injury if you didn't take every conceivable precaution that gets me. It really is the same as "well you shouldn't have been walking alone at night if you didn't want to get mugged."

No, that is a stupid comparison. You choose to take a risk and get on that bike, women don't choose to be women.

And have fun with that moral superiority when you have a crushed leg and the driver's door got a new parking lot ding. With motorcycling, it's either your fault for loving up or your fault for being there when somebody else fucks up.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Smudgie Buggler posted:

So if I get mugged it's my fault for being where I was when the mugger decided to mug?

I ain't saying it's a good idea to ride around without a care in the world not giving a gently caress about your own safety relative to the actions of others. You can't do that and expect to live. But the idea that it's your fault if someone suddenly plows into your lane and collects you is simply ludicrous. You can't be omniprescient, and just because it might have been theoretically possible for you to have reacted more quickly doesn't shift the moral blame for the crash onto you. That's laughable. The vulnerable aren't very smart if they don't acknowledge and adjust to their vulnerability, but they're not morally culpable for damage amplified by that vulnerability caused by the negligence or malevolence of others.

I just don't get this kind of thinking. Like, have you never heard of a tort or something?

Have fun with that lawsuit when you still can't walk and the driver is uninjured. The lesson your instructor is teaching is to actively avoid being in a position where somebody even can plow into you. That is something you can have control over for the most part.

You are better off absorbing your instructor's message than dwelling on every :goonsay: incorrect thing he says.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

I still think that telling people "act like they're out to kill you" is stupid. If all the car drivers on the road were actually out to kill me, I would not leave my house. Or I'd buy a humvee with a machine gun or something. Very few people are actually going to be aggressively bad and try to run you off the road or door you or whatever.

No, treat it like the drivers cannot see you at all, which is close to the truth. See the car poking his nose out of the driveway? He doesn't see you and he thinks the street is clear, so be ready for him to pull out and cut you off at any time. The person beside you on the highway? Yeah, she thinks the space beside her is empty and she could merge into it whenever, so get out of that space. Etc.

This attitude doesn't make you hostile towards or terrified of cars, but it does encourage you to never rely on anyone else's behavior for your safety.

"Ride like you're invisible and not invincible" is what an old guy told me when I got into riding.

While I think that's still nit picking the context of the lesson, you get it.

Moral high ground this and civil suit that just distracts from the practical application of "don't even be there when somebody fucks up". I mean is winning a lawsuit going to mean much when half of you is smeared across main street?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Smudgie Buggler posted:

The thread's called the echo chamber/padded room... Congrats on defending the smug ramblings of a senile victim-blaming halfwit :jerkbag:

Are you still not getting it? If you get hit by somebody, then there's a better place on the road you could have been to avoid being hit. You are hard to see on a motorcycle. Even if it's their fault, it's your fault for being where they didn't notice you, and you are complicit. Easy peasy. You can use all the weak crime parallels all you want, but you actually do have a reasonable expectation of not being the victim of violent injury off of a motorcycle. On a motorcycle, different story, you have to own the situation all the time. If you think civil or even criminal penalties are going to prevent people from running you over, you are already as good as dead.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Akion posted:

So, I'm sitting at a stoplight in the middle of the night, and a drunk guy comes barreling out of the bar right next to the intersection and turns me into a pancake.

Other than "Not on the road", where could I have been to avoid this situation?

Not on the motorcycle in the middle of the night is where I would be. I've posted before that I avoid riding in the dark. But you could add "not on roads where there are bars" to the mix.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah. The best riding I've seen is in places like rural Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, New Mexico, and Nevada. Basically where people aren't.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Elviscat posted:

Sometimes it feels like the only thing that keeps me going is the fantasy of hopping on my bike, blasting out through the desert at 100+, then just riding up and down the Rockies, Cascades/Sierra Nevadas, and the West Coast for months at a time, living off of my bike like a hobo...

I'd do this if I didn't like my cat.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife and I are talking about doing it in a couple years. Maybe taking sabbatical for 3 months and going wherever. We've discussed finding places to hang out and be lazy for a week or so here and there, like San Antonio or Cape Cod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You guys are killing me.

Happymarriage.jpg:

2500 miles from home, day 5 of 15. The problem with taking a two-week trip like this with the wife is that you come home talking about the month-long and then 3-month long trips you need to take together. I guess that's not a huge problem.