Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
So how many times have you been pulled over since you came on this board? Cause to be honest I break laws all the time and have yet to be pulled over on the bike, save for a DUI checkpoint. Maybe you should alter your riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah it's like that anywhere tho, you never win fighting the cops, only fighting the courts.

Maybe you'll be a bit less of a target with another naked bike but then again maybe not. I think in my case it might just be that I do all that I can to fly under the radar as opposed to the flashy morons who ride like dicks in the city. But seriously, besides minor infractions like speeding in front of cops or what they might term 'reckless' riding where the cop didn't seem to mind, I've ridden past a cop with nothing on my front end but the forks and wheel after I crashed my bike and they didn't bat an eye. Its like if you wear gear and ride a standard here, you're invisible.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 30, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Road quality really varies by state and climate. Leave Penn and try Virginia or WV

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I try to always have a bit of cash on me when I ride just cause roadside markets don't usually take a card.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Welp we've gone full circle if we're now complaining about cars courteously letting us pass.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Dude showing the road doesn't help your case really. I was picturing a skinny road with a dirt/gravel shoulder but that road is literally 2 lanes wide. Look back at the car behind. You should have just passed her.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm never 'mad' about anything on here, lol. Just saying take the invitation man, you were the one posting in the rant thread about it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's actually kinda fun, the bike wiggles and waves as you go across. I'll record running across one if it's that interesting, we still have one for car traffic that's not used as much as other bridges.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

What happens if it's raining and you need to stop in a hurry?

Doesn't happen. No one in front of you.

I guess rear brake tho. Really, you'll see, I just kind chug across it.

edit: that's just me tho. Our bridge is low traffic, can't speak for others.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Home Depot is a long shot but if you hit up an actual locksmith they probably have something that will work.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I wave at everyone and don't care who waves back cause, gently caress them, can't harsh my buzz. I wave at cars that are courteous or even just notice me, too. I like to thank the good ones instead of getting pissed at the lovely ones, hopefully they remember the nice motorcyclist and not just the dickholes.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Dude, it's simple, just stop speeding and you have nothing to worry ab....aaaahhahahhhahhhahhahahahahhahahah

Couldn't keep a straight face, sorry.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
oval office doesn't have the same connotation for those still under the Crown.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That's one of the typical mistakes I've never made but I make sure to kick the stand again, after I put it out, to make sure it's fully extended.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I hate when my weights are loose on my nipples

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
"My uncle has a Harley"

Ok.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

adary posted:

So we have this weekly meet here in Israel, every friday, at a very nice place in Tel Aviv, where a lot of bikers, classic car enthusiasts and sports car enthusiasts like to hang around. Starting two weeks ago we (bikers/sport cars) are pretty much evicted from the place by the police, new signs restricting bike traffic are up. Last friday cops placed roadblocks at every possible approach to the area, and on the way there I got pulled over.

Conversation started with: "license/registration/insurance please" which I provided and of course they are fine. Then the cop starts checking my bike. Headlights, tail light, break lights, and we come to turn signals which my harley very obviously doesn't have. Cop yells at me, and i keep telling him calmly to check his little book of laws to see why my 1993 harley doesn't have turn signals (law in Israel states that bikes manufactured in 1995 and later have to have turn signals).

In the end he starts going about my mirrors, how small they are and not functional, and about my air intake (pretty standard screamin' eagle open filter kit).

Ironically, he never mentioned the only thing that is not exactly legal on my bike which are the exhaust pipes ...

25 minutes of hassle just to tell me to go away ...

Man that's rough to be treated like that...and they moved in on your land? drat.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Flag him down and give him the 'there's a time and a place' talk.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Count the blessings. I tried to get my buddies into riding. So far 1 got a bike, crashed it, and is scared of it. 2 are getting married instead. 1 will probably get one but his confidence often outweighs his ability, so I'm worried. One sold his cause he had a baby.

Not much success.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah I don't think my buddy who crashed has done 1000 miles since last July. Kinda curious actually cause he says he rides it to work and stuff but I don't really believe him. I'll have to sneakily ask to see the title somehow lol.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

MotoGP commentators all suck poo poo and are hilariously ignorant. Bar none.

Have you ever stuck your leg off the side when going at highway speeds? These dudes are doing 220mph, I don't think you can argue that sticking a leg out isn't an airbrake...?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
No one said it was the only reason, just one of them. Sure the effect is small, but it exists. Same reason they pop out of the bubble.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Do what you're saying but instead pop out of the bubble when going a steady speed then check your speed again. It's a difference of at least 5 mph for me holding the throttle in the same spot on a small fairing 250 ninja. This is going like 75 mph and they're doing triple that and drag increases on a square iirc.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Wind resistance doesn't give a poo poo what kind of bike you're riding?

edit: to be clearer we're talking about braking, not when they're on the power. I was just saying to do it at highway speed as an example.

If air resistance wasn't an issue they wouldn't worry about all the poo poo they worry about. Tucking in the fairing, speed humps on the suits, clear plastic helmet add ons, etc etc. These guys are looking for tenths on the best bikes in the world, it all matters.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 1, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Shimrod posted:

Yeah, I know, I was just saying that at that with more HP you will still have that wind resistance, but it won't bother it as much. What I was getting at was I don't even have to give it more throttle to hold my speed on my 600, on my 250 I had to give it more.

I'm not denying that at all, I'm just saying that it's fairly insignificant at the end of the day compared to having a better engine, better brakes, a good frame and actual talent. In GP that is anyway, in Moto2 it would be a little more important, in Moto3 it's fairly important.

e: More to the original point, hanging your knee out isn't going to slow you down any quicker than keeping it locked in.

I was reading an AMA by Mark Miller and I thought I'd quote him here

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I don't think we've disagreed then but you're sure posted a lot of paragraphs about it.

Also if you can catch the BT sport coverage of the race the intro has Rossi saying the wind at the end of the straight is ridic and it takes a lot of work to stay on the bike when you pop out of the bubble. That part we did disagree on.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 2, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If you have never searched youtube for dirtbike runs from cops the time is now

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Deeters posted:

I am not enjoying working on my bike outside like the unwashed masses (mosquitoes :argh:). I think I need to start mooching garage space off friends.

Every time I clean my garage out poo poo magically finds its way back in to it. I cleaned out a huge space to to prep my bike for a trip. 2 weeks ago I'm told there will be contractors working outside the house for a week or so, no big deal I thought. Now it's 4 days before I leave and my garage looks like this:

Materials on the left stacked on top of poo poo I need, materials on the right blocking the shelves with poo poo I need, bigass fuckin' log splitter chilling right in my work area. Bike barely visible in the back. gently caress.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 14, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Deeters posted:

This is America:

:911:

Check out Mr. Fancy with his divided lanes

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

:lol: in NZ that road would be unmarked and 1.5 cars wide. There are occasional wide spots for cars to go past eachother but otherwise you're in the gravel trying to crawl around eachother. And then large trucks use those roads and always seem to be coming around the next blind corner.

But I'm meaning city streets. I've seen STR's dashcam footage of him driving around Texas and the roads are crazy wide. Three lanes per side and his mid-sized car has like a meter of clearance in every direction when he's in a lane. From this point forward I will only accept the opinions of Americans who have been to europe/NZ as valid :colbert:

edit: I should clarify, in NZ that road would likely not be paved at all.

Man, America is Awesome. :fsmug:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Tanbo posted:

Jesus it's annoying when someone is going dogshit slow in the curves, then as soon as there's a passing zone and it straightens up they immediately speed up. Bieks are awesome so I just drop a gear but ugh.

Also went to Deal's Gap today, got stuck behind some Harley dude in a truck hauling his bike, didn't pull off once the entire way even though up to 8-9 bikes plus a couple cars were plodding along behind him. You'd think a rider would understand of all people. :sotw:

Pretty much every type of vehicle blocked me at least once but cruiser riders were the majority.

Most of the people I came up on didn't have a clue about the correct line and half couldn't hold a smooth line thru a corner.

There's some 129slayer pics of sone dudes in front of me looking like they 're riding hard and then me rolling thru behind them 1 handed.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
But she would have looked so dorky.

I ride a bicycle and wear nothing. I wear full gear every time I ride my motorcycle. I am aware that it makes no sense.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I solve the bicycling deathtrap problem by not riding bicycles :smug:

I do it by riding on the sidewalk. Come at me.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Running works all the time.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Sagebrush posted:

You might be able to outrun a police cruiser, but you can't outrun a radio.

If you break the line of sight, and quickly, they don't know where to tell the other cops where you are on the radio.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Digital_Jesus posted:

I do not run from the cops because I'm kindof easily identifiable. Also because I enjoy living and not panic crashing to avoid a speeding ticket.

It's not something you plan for, it's a snap judgement in the moment.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
With lane sharing being legal was that really that bad?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah in general if it isn't the government giving you a fine you don't gotta worry about it

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was told once that stop signs in private lots weren't really compulsory cause the cops don't have control there. It kinda makes sense cause I know they don't mess around with parking lot accidents, but at the same time don't people get ticketed for parking in handicapped spots? Or does that only happen on city streets and not really at wal mart or w/e?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I had no idea mens and womens zippers had different sides