Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think it’s a vapor recovery system. All the pumps in California have it. Yeah, I just have to pull it back with one hand while I pump. My tank has a weird bar right across the filler hole for some reason so I can put the nozzle in more than an inch or so anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

One time when I was riding home a guy on a VFR750 pulled up next to me and gave me a fist bump. He started talking to me but I couldn’t hear him, so he grabbed his chin bar and ripped his helmet up over his face so I could see is mostly toothless mouth and asked me what my bike was, told me I could “handle a 900 no problem,” put his head phones back in “gotta have my tunes, love music man!” and put his helmet back on (no chin strap) and sped off into the night.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

California. I thought his 900 response when I told him my bike was a CB300R and I just started riding 6 months ago was very on brand for him.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

We have scooters like that in SF. When you sign up you have to affirm you can ride a bicycle, and then you watch a 5 minute video about where the horn and signals are located and you’re all set!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

TheBacon posted:

The thing I don’t get about CARB is that they even prevent me from shipping an exhaust to the state, but literally after it leaves the showroom floor there is zero check on anything. Like cars at least have SMOG which is a nemesis one test and a visual inspection for all CARB compliant components. Just seems so weird to me to not even have any sort of inspection on bikes. I’m not exactly complaining per se, but it’s just odd to me, especially with how little motorcycles really account for in the grand scheme of the state and pollution.

Let me order a dang exhaust!!!

It's also apparently illegal to ship/sell kangaroo leather to/in California. I didn't know this until today. This law seems to be largely ignored. It seems so arbitrary.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don’t think I’d ride with someone who has been drinking, regardless of experience. I rode my bicycle drunk once, and it’s not something I would plan to do again. I can’t imagine thinking it’s a good idea on a motorcycle.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I wasn’t saying 2 beers = drunk but I can see how it’s implied, and depending on the circumstance it could be. But it doesn’t even matter, to me. It’s at best poor judgement and isn’t someone I’d be riding with, especially if it means riding at 30mph in a straight line for their benefit.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

If there’s two lanes just pass in the other lane. If it’s a single lane road then I think it’s OK depending on how it’s done. I move over and wave faster riders thru and in my experience so do others.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Deeters posted:

I just want Shoei or Arai to actually build the intercoms into their helmet. Give me some sort of active noise cancelling so I don't even need ear plugs. That inflatable earmuff thing that Jim found is the closest I've seen.

Shoei GT Air II will integrate with a specific Sena headset. I think that’s about as good as we’ll get for now. But yeah it would be nice to not have to mess about with an add on.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Barber shops have to adapt since white supremacists have moved on from shaved heads.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Pre COVID I kept my hair short and tidy, getting it cut every 4-6 weeks. I had to go 7 months without a cut. It was pretty bad for my helmet fit. I’m baby faced, so having a mess of curls on top makes me look like I’m 16. If shops don’t open in the next two months I’m probably just gonna order clippers and buzz it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Skreemer posted:

Down to 24 here in Dallas and I still commuted in as I have all sorts of cold weather gear, my neighbor has an Indian Scout, has only ever lived here in Texas and just froze on his commute. Though on the plus side out here there's no freakin' road salt. On the bad side, no one can drive at the hint of winter weather, mutli-car pileups all over the place.

For real...

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/weather/2021/02/11/winter-weather-causes-hazardous-conditions-on-north-texas-roads/

133 cars and 6 dead wtf

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I am tempted to buy an RC390 or RC490 if/when it comes out but I think the sensible thing to do is just get a Ninja 400.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don't understand why he thinks anyone would sponsor him when he doesn't have a racing license and hasn't done any actual racing. I guess he thinks it's like being an instragram influencer or something?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

“Riding on my Suzuki” over and over.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I imagine you’ll have to pay a subscription for the service. I am under the impression that repeatedly rapidly charging batteries is bad for them, so I wonder how that will factor in. Maybe someone who knows more can provide their insight!! I don’t really pay much attention to EV stuff.

Edit for context!

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 2, 2021

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I think it’s pretty easy to misjudge a bolt/nut if it’s not something you’re doing all the time. Every time I change my wheels out on my car, I’m always surprised when the wrench clicks, because it just doesn’t seem anywhere near enough (89 lbs-ft). Obviously you don’t need to torque your mirrors or whatever, but I err on the side of safety for most things. I’ve mostly been touching things like axles and pinch bolts which are probably things you should use a torque wrench for, anyway.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Being dressed up like that he must have received a massive inheritance.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

the smidsy weave

Not even a week since I crashed and my wife is getting "so you're not going to let him get a new bike, right?" from both her family and mine. Thankfully she knows how much I like riding and just tells them I can do what I want.

Ok so which bike are you going to get?

Sagebrush posted:

I think the pandemic has made people shittier drivers and more angry overall. I haven't noticed an epidemic of red-light runners here in California, but people are absolutely driving more aggressively, changing lanes less safely, and generally doing more unpredictable things. It used to be that in a half-hour drive on the highway I'd see one or two real stupid moves; now it's at least half a dozen every time.

Riding in the city is definitely more stressful than it was in the past. So many people changing lanes or turning without signaling.

Lots of people driving into the city instead of taking the train. SF is so much more urban than the rest for CA, and people are just overwhelmed. Not making excuses for them, just affirming I see the exact same thing.

Pretty sure there were more traffic deaths in 2020 than 2019 even though traffic was way down.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

My mom’s brother was killed by a driver on his motorcycle as it turns out only a few miles from where I now live, which is about 1,200 miles from where I grew up (and over 2,500 from where she did). She was not pleased.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Gliding is like having someone on a motorbike tow you and your bicycle to a really tall hill so you can whee down without having to pedal up beforehand.

That sounds pretty rad tbh

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

What is the licensing structure that you can have GSX-R but are not fully licensed?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That sucks. Do you know what happened?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Better than high siding. Sometimes I'm a little jealous of UK folks since you're forced to be good wet weather riders, but then I quickly get over it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Razzled posted:

don't let other people make driving decisions for you

Yeah this. Unless they start slowing down a ton, just ignore them, or even just back off yourself. I might wave my left hand "no thank you" but otherwise I'll pass when I feel it's safe to do so.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It's funny because in SF it's the opposite. Most drivers are good about yielding to pedestrians and not blocking the crosswalk, but in rural and suburban areas you are definitely scum if you're on foot and will get run over.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It's always poo poo like "how do I replace this jet that's stuck in the carb with a bigger jet" and only after multiple people asking follow up questions does it come out that there's a fuel leak from the gas tank or it's hard to start because the battery is half dead so spark is intermittent and none of it has anything to do with the carburetor.

This is also called the XY Problem. You have problem X, and you think the solution is Y. However, Y doesn't seem to be working, so instead of asking for help with X, you ask for help with Y. :hellyeah:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

LodeRunner posted:

Then hopefully it's the right choice for you! I was at IMS Sonoma a couple weeks back and they had 15 LiveWires and like 30 Zeroes. Half of the demo rides were electric. I was thoroughly entertained, and the LW guys let me use their charging stations after hours.

Did you get to ride any cool bikes? I went on Sunday but apparently showed up too late as basically everything was booked up for the day :smith:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

Hopefully plastics aren't horribly expensive.

Man all these stolen bikes posts making me think of upping my insurance to full coverage.

My full coverage is only like $100/year. Collision is what’s expensive.

I wonder if that damage would be covered under full coverage because it was a result of theft attempt? I could see it going either way.

edit: spelling!

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 7, 2021

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That's cheap, then. Maybe it varies by state but I always understood comprehensive to include theft and damage that is not collision, eg hit and run, vandalism, tree/hail/fire, etc. Damage from while the vehicle is in motion is collision. I do not carry collision on my bike, because it is ridiculously expensive. I have to renew my insurance at the end of the month. Last time I did, collision was well over $1000 extra, closer to 2k iirc. Maybe it's better now that I have been "successfully" riding for 2 years. I guess I'll find out!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

I always feel like I'm speeding, but there are usually cars passing me, especially on the highway here (75mph limit, but real pace is like 80-85). I just don't want to go that fast sometimes especially between big 18 wheelers.

To be honest passing semis/box trucks/HGVs is the one time I think speeding is totally appropriate and worth the risk of getting pulled over. I think if you sped up, passed, then slowed back down to the pace of traffic, you'd just be having some bad luck if a cop wanted to ticket you over it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

LodeRunner posted:

Remember the entire purpose of the company, at the start, was to market two things:

1. Cameras and sensors to assess threats and keep riders more safe.

2. Their SHIFT technology which allows a user to pivot the pegs and bar position on the fly to allow the rider to be more upright or more tucked on a whim.

:hmmyes:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UnnhitEcUbI

The idea a bike could honk down on the brakes while you go around a corner because it freaks out about a car it sees seems like a great idea.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

All motorcycle racing is better than F1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJRMQ8Yskw

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

loving KTM gently caress YOU loving gently caress oval office poo poo gently caress

The Eastern Empire Strikes Back.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

There are many things to dislike about San Francisco, but all these "self driving" cars are personally one of my least favorite things.

Cruise is, in particular, the worst. They deliberately drive recklessly or poorly in order to create traffic scenarios for which they need that all-valuable data.

Here's one sitting in a right-hand turn lane (with a red light) with his left-hand blinker on, as two motorcycles approach. After they pass him, the light turns green, he sits there for 5 seconds, waiting for me I am sure. Once I'm close enough, he turns on his right blinker, proceeds into the intersection, then just stops. It's ok, though! They have a warning on the rear hatch :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iricgbSQ1q0

(No sounds because the music I was listening to get flagged for copyright infringement!)

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

(two coffee break meters? Really?)

Tell me more

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Frame sliders that replace your engine mount bolts is like replacing your seatbelts with an ejection seat.

Aren’t your engine case, handle bars, and fork ends more likely to hit the ground anyway?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I hit 97mph at just over 10k (10.5 redline). I did the math once and the top speed should be 101. Last time I was at that track I only managed like 85 or so because of a headwind :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEUXX3wyj-c