Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
answer: solid state relays

right now my only nerd project is yosbbs. other than that im spending my evenings cataloging and prepping all my computer poo poo for sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh god a notable yosposter who has way less free time than i do put out ANOTHER amazing thing and god drat it i am channeling this into positive energy ok im going to work on my music rig tonight. even if i have to pay $3.79 for each of those filter caps i need at radio shack.

mooooooooooootivation

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mitchard posted:

I have a soft spot for lovely pawn shop guitars. Not like some vintage rare fender with a blemished headstock I mean like nasty looking hair metal guitars that looked like they were dragged behind a truck. Over the years, my favorite has been absorbing all the good parts from all these guitars and become some kind of mad-max hell bitch.

As I've grown as a player, and as it's evolved through each build, it's become something completely irreplaceable. There's still things I'd love to add and take off and tinker with but I hate not having it available.

that's ill. my main guitar for ~17 years has been a late 80s Yamaha neckthru that somebody ruined the value of by painting with auto paint. Loaded up with EMG's and a Kahler trem. it is the hottest shred axe i have ever touched.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i really want to learn how to hack on bmw ibus stuff. you can basically hook whatever the gently caress you want to the car if you get the protocol right

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Ana5000 posted:

Someone should make a mod that makes the turn signals work.

there's an accelerator pedal interlock

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
last night i rage-shopped at radio shack and paid $4.99 each for two 2200uf caps. then i paid several more dollars for some perfboard.

i went home and miraculously found a fuckin' matched pair of 7805 and 7905 regulators. i have my mixer PSU board about 1/3 done, tonight i just need to solder some more parts on and see if it will resurrect my old mixer, so i can write and play music again, because i'm dying without it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloody posted:

you know you can buy all of these parts online for prices very close to free, right?

yeah but then i'd be on another project by the time these came in and i'd get all annoyed and have to task switch

context switching loving pisses me off and is a waste of my life, i hate it. multitasking is a bullshit non-thing made up by managers and small men to push people around more. focus

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

coffeetable posted:

every time i see i a nice bit of woodwork, i fleetingly consider abandoning software, abandoning mathematics and just going back to my hometown's polytech to learn carpentry

gonna have a workshop one day

tellin' you guys, woodworking is the way to go. after 15 years in IT computer horseshit i feel qualified to say this
i am not joking or being ironic
take heed young yosposters

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cold on a Cob posted:

i would imagine woodworking is a thing where you can only make decent stacks doing it if you're really really good so you can charge 3k for a loving coffee table
my ultimate goal is to split time between stuff like dining room tables and hand built guitar amps

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i want to hackerspace so bad but i do not really have a burning desire to get endless piles of angry phone calls and emails when somebody forgets to sweep around the grinder

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

WorkingPeer posted:

whats lafayetteville hackerspace like? :banjo:

oh there isnt one. you know how ppl joke that americans are all temporarily embarrassed millionaires? i'm a temporarily relocated denver resident

like arkansas is starting to feel foreign to me because i know im leaving

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

movax posted:

hackerspaces are p much sperglord central

whats worse. young sperglords or old ones

i'm going to go old actually because they have decades of being set in their ways, built in inertial guidance system
no i wont help you glue faux fur to your amiga

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
remember those inhuman weld photos i posted last week

guy did a followup.

"i'm blind in one eye and shake like a leaf. "

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/a-steady-hand-and-a-good-eye-990215275

really, really good article if you are into any sort of mechanical work

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tested new power supply for four hours last night. mixer works. i put a 40mm fan hanging off the +5 rail, blowing on the heatsinks, its silent and they stay only slightly warm. it is now quieter than it was brand new.

oh also i found a blown 10uF cap on the board that handles the onboard effects, i replaced that and that part started working again.

---
this episode is really making me regret throwing my MX2642a in the garbage. it developed a hum which i would these days instantly diagnose as a bad cap and fix, but 8 years ago i wasn't quite as swift with troubleshooting, so i threw up my hands and replaced it. sigh. those mixers were the ones that mackie sued them for because they cloned the VLZ channel strip

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have a 61 key and loving haaaaaaaate it and wish that i would have bought two 25 or 31 key boards instead. too big.

that being said im working on a pretty trick setup to split it into two 2-octave ranges for two diff synths, and 12 more keys to trigger random things. need a button board so bad

honked that thing is really cool. i use novation softsynths in literally every track i do

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Selling a house.

no loving clue how

i imagine i will have to pay lawyers money and it makes the bile come up

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i'm going to make up a nice one-sheet about the house and then hit up every single property management company worth a poo poo in the area

i suspect a rental type would want to snatch up a property that mortgages for 600 and can rent for 1k easy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
https://github.com/jonny290/yosvape/blob/master/yosvape.ino

the core of yosvape is just a fuckin straight import of the arduino PID library. i didnt even change the constant names i was so lazy

i never messed with the PID tuning library that is meant to work alongside the PID lib itself, but i heard it can help you get it pretty decently tight, tweak from there.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

WorkingPeer posted:

did you autotune the yosvape, or tune it manually?

nah i started with some generic constants and then tuned a _bit_ but not even much. then i just proportionally bumped those up for the less active modes.

I really need to do an adaptive algorithm that starts out vague and gets more accurate over time, but it does have a bit of an oscillation problem if you time the hits wrong, so you can't get too aggressive with the PID constants

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
c is the simplest thing. i think everybody understands pointers at this bit, then its p much enums, structs and dont forget to break out of your cases. its just that ppl take a look at linux.c and freak out cause macros? idk.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloody posted:

if you wanna actually learn from your idiot spare time project do it in c it won't be that bad and you'll learn a whole bunch

if you're using msp430s which i think you said you were then its quite easy

how to do embedded development:
10 read the datasheet
20 goto 10

sometimes i browse datasheets for random chips

ive discovered a lot of nifty ICs that way

or ill find one member of a new line of chips and go look up the whole line, see what it does

maxim and analog devices make some cool poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

very well done

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i had to solder a couple wires in my car the other day and didnt feel like running an extension cord so i brought out an old screwdriver and a propane torch. old school style.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i think when we head out im going to get rid of my shoebox full of radio shack shitirons and pick up a hakko 888 and a butane torch. should cover me

im going to be losing a lot of power tools and poo poo, no more random chainsawing in the back yard for me. need to get my electronics rig sorted.

ideally i would build a portable workbench type thing with built in storage and everything ready to go, something that easily breaks down for transport and fits in the back seat or something.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Werthog 95 posted:

also gently caress wet sponges, get yourself one of these

don't post R2D2 genitals tia

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have a sql db to tweet thing for fayettevillains, basically i run through the loop and do a $timer += 15; sleep($timer) in the loop. obv this places an upper bound on how much traffic the bot could take before backing up forever but its an order of magnitude higher than what fayetteville produces as far as cop logs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
idk how people do incoming tweets. i know that at one point you had to literally simulate a human browser and do the scraper equivalent of mousewheeling down to load more. it appeared to be 100% jank

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
first person that comes to me after the apocalypse hits with some used motor oil and a bunch of metal scraps gets all the good weapons

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

sports posted:

ahh yes, lockjaw and laxatives... the great creature comforts of pre-apocalypse arkansas

nah we'll be posted up in the rockies when the end comes i am killing myself asap but if you idiots want to hang around i will post my address via deadman and you can come raid my poo poo. no bigs, enjoy your nightmare hell on earth

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah the cores of uav's and little flyin things are commodity now. at this point its how you apply them

i was sketching out an idea for an indefinite lifespan drone that would seek out power lines and hang from them by a hook thing that was also an induction coil. i think you could steal enough juice to recharge it. imagine swarms of never landing dronebots

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Rude. posted:

patenting this atm

the other thing is that when theyre not charging they will be programmed to seek out common flight paths via gps and try to kamikaze themselves into jet intakes around airports

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Yaoi Mandel posted:

Hi i just wanted to say that you are extremely stupid, and bad, and that you should commit suicide for the good of the forums and the world

How it's done, folks.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nachoes posted:

i built a console to run special effects for theatre productions. it's an arduino controlling a bunch of relays which control solenoids/solenoid valves/glow plugs full of flash cotton/whatever. i used it for a show where a room gets shot up to make things fall off the walls/bullet holes appear, and keep it synced up with the gunshot sound effects.

right now it's a box with a go button that stores all the times when it should fire the effects in arrays. eventually i want to add some sort of UI that would allow someone to build/edit a show without having to edit the arrays in the source code and re upload to the arduino. and i'd really like to have it work with midi show control too so i can eventually run it with QLab, but that's gonna take some research. i'm re-teaching myself linked lists because i think that's the best way to store my cue stack and still have it be editable/resizeable, but it's been a while since i've done anything like that.

it's a hella fun hobby though.

Nice. I dont know if I would use midi or dmx for this project, i know more about midi obv, but i would definitely retool it as a separate sequencer and then an interface box. if you could do like a modular approach where they could have 20 outs and do 10 squibs 3 solenoids 7 flash cottons, or whatever, i would think that really flexible

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Unless posted:

just received a small-business startup grant to build my county's first public electronics shop

the gently caress

thats awesome

my kickstarter to buy an oscilloscope to help build the yosvape got nixed as a 'fund my life' project
ugh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloody posted:

if only we werent selling off as much of it as possible as quickly as possible

rip helium

yeah rip

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Dr. Honked posted:

i just got two arduinos in the mail. gonna duct tape em to my balls

man its getting dark out, it's about time for jonny to go hog fuckin wild with some electronics project

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gardening is a holy endeavor and is an excellent antidote to 'too loving much computeritis' which seems to be pandemic-level in this forum

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

too bad you need space for it! my wife turned our very small yard into a farm and hacked together a multi rabbit cage from an old play house and now most of our yard is rabbits and chickens and quails and there is poo everywhere! the chickens are cool they make eggs from your leftovers and the rabbit tastes ok but we've only eaten 1 so it's probably working out at a couple hundred dollars per kilo for the meat by now. the rabbits eat a lot of horse food

yeah, but run the numbers for year 2. gardening/farming is hugely frontloaded, the payoff is over time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I SO WANT TO MAKE ROVS

OH GOD YES