Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Internal USB is cheaper and easier to manage, I could rant about blades but I don't think anyone wants to hear it.

I'd like to hear a rant about blades. I loved working with IBM BladeCentre chassis and blade servers in my last job.

Here's two IBM HS22 blades I did last year, internal USB is highlighted:

Another benefit of booting ESXi from USB is that it's a hell of a lot cheaper than having HDDs (In the above picture you can see that both blades have empty HDD slots).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Moey posted:

:science: Once booted ESXi will keep running even if the thumbdrive is pulled. After boot everything runs from memory!

Of course the host will become completely unmanageable (No vMotion, snapshotting, etc.). I had that happen in a production cluster, some very specific and strange issue with vSphere 5.0 and the RAID controllers in IBM HS22 blades. We "fixed" it by installing USB flash drives in the blades that didn't have them :)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I just tried to do this and I'm stuck at "BOOTMGR is missing" Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.
Anyone know a detailed guide to making this work. Did I screw up by formatting my USB drive as NTFS instead of FAT32?

Edit:

No wait! I'm the smartest motherfucker on Earth!

This home lab thing is looking to be an emotional roller-coaster.

Was just about to reply to you but then I saw your edit. It would have been best to completely format the USB drive as RAW so that it has no partition table at all. Your machine probably attempted to boot from the USB flash drive prior to attempting to boot from whatever install media you are using which would have caused that "BOOTMGR is missing" error.

Not really an issue, the ESXi installer will blow away the contents of the drive entirely when installing.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Moey posted:

Well farts, didn't mean to speak for you.

Last I saw you post it was the AMD setup/primary desktop/VMware Workstation rig. I like the concept of having older enterprise stuff at home, but have no need for the extra space/heat/power/cooling that it would give me. I have stacks of similar gear at work I could screw with, but I have not exceeded the limits of a single box at home (no Cisco prep).

I cannot imaging what your power bill is running that stuff.

Dilbert As gently caress lives and breathes VMware so his gear is probably co-located at a DC in Palo Alto next door to VMware HQ :cheeky:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Docjowles posted:

I thought Broadcom NICs were notoriously awful, especially in conjunction with VMware? Is that not the case, or just not worth worrying about on the home lab level?

IBM use Broadcom NICs on their mainboards and I've never had issues with them in the past (However I've always installed the IBM customised ESXi image which has the right drivers).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

cheese-cube posted:

IBM use Broadcom NICs on their mainboards and I've never had issues with them in the past (However I've always installed the IBM customised ESXi image which has the right drivers).

Probably best to point out that I'm not referring to HBA/mezzanine/PCIe cards here. I cannot vouch for Broadcom HBA/mezzanine/PCIe cards.

Intel/Emulex for Ethernet, Brocade for FCP (QLogic will work too but their management software is garbage).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Rescued a handful of 300GB SAS 10k 2.5" drives from a server that was heavily upgraded recently. Anyone have any leads on a cheap SAS controller that has ESXi VIBs? I'm hoping for under a hundred bucks but I dunno if that's feasible.

3Gb/s or 6Gb/s?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

If anyone lives in Western Australia (Perth-metro) and are looking at building a home lab for virtualisation then this may be of interest: https://www.auctions.com.au/auctions/2015/03/24/online-it-workstation-auction.html (Note that the majority of the workstations don't come with HDDs).

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

The Grover-server, with load-bearing SATA

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

This may be relevant for some of ya'll (I know it's been pissing me off for ages now): after almost 2 years of bullshit back-and-forth between Intel and Microsoft a version of Advanced Network Services (ANS) has finally been released for Windows 10 which supports VLANs and teaming (Functionality that was inexplicably removed when Windows 8.1 was released). You can grab the new version here, using it myself with an I350-T4 and it works perfectly: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah DNS is easy if I set it up manually, but if addresses are handed out via DHCP then we have a problem, because I want some devices receiving DNS1 and some receiving DNS2.

Working through some issues on the home network which are being caused by having two networks. I think I've got it narrowed down to two solutions, I can either 1) completely segregate the two networks by not configuring a default gateway on the lab NICs, or 2) run my home and lab off the same network while maintaining separate DHCP and DNS by ____.

It's what goes in ____ that has me thrown. I mean it may not even be possible with the equipment that I have (no VLAN capability) but I'm at least trying to look at options.

I think you'd benefit greatly by getting some better networking hardware. With Cisco the DHCP Relay Agent can be configured per-interface which allows you to use specific DHCP servers per network segment: https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/ip_addr/configuration/guide/htdhcpre.html#wp1085232.

IMO the Cisco Catalyst CX series switches are great for home labs as they're small, quite (Passive cooling, no fans) and run full IOS (Layer 2 LAN Base on the 2960-CX and Layer 2+3 IP Base on the 3560-CX). However they are a bit pricey (Around $600 for a 3560-CX) and unless you're already familiar with IOS the learning curve might be a bit steep. That aside, I've got a 2960-CX in my home lab and I'm extremely happy with it.

Or alternatively have a look at the EdgeRouter series from Ubiquiti. They're solid devices with full Layer 2+3 support and are extremely cheap (The EdgeRouter X is around $60).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cross-post, asking for a friend, anyone run into the same issue?

cheese-cube posted:

Anyone here managed to get ASAv running on ESXi 6.5 in a Workstation VM? A colleague of mine is having issues, "Failed to deploy VM: postNFCData failed." error.

Edit: nevermind, psydude has answered my question:

psydude posted:

Pretty much all Cisco products aren't officially supported on 6.5 yet, and I've heard of all sorts of issues with it more generally.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 4, 2017

• Locked thread