Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Less PCI slots used.

man, thats a huge price premium to save one PCI slot. are most of these lab builds using SFF cases or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

ZetsurinPower posted:

man, thats a huge price premium to save one PCI slot. are most of these lab builds using SFF cases or something?

IN some shuttle builds or cases all you have is 1 or 2 PCI slots; If you buy the 4port nics from ebay and go with broadcom you usually don't pay that much more http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-BROADC...=item338b5aeabc

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Docjowles posted:

http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Routing-Switching-Study-Guide/dp/1118749618

If you actually intend to pass the CCNA (as opposed to just messing around and learning a thing or two about networking, which is a fine goal too!) you should probably invest in a book or two.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Just ordered one now.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

IN some shuttle builds or cases all you have is 1 or 2 PCI slots; If you buy the 4port nics from ebay and go with broadcom you usually don't pay that much more http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-BROADC...=item338b5aeabc

I thought Broadcom NICs were notoriously awful, especially in conjunction with VMware? Is that not the case, or just not worth worrying about on the home lab level?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Docjowles posted:

I thought Broadcom NICs were notoriously awful, especially in conjunction with VMware? Is that not the case, or just not worth worrying about on the home lab level?

In the standard esxi image the drivers usually suck but they do work well so long as you aren't putting 24/7 full gig traffic on them and add the proper *.vibs in your esxi image; or use update manager to apply the latest drivers. Most of my headache with broadcom comes with GA releases of ESXi.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Docjowles posted:

IBM use Broadcom NICs on their mainboards and I've never had issues with them in the past (However I've always installed the IBM customised ESXi image which has the right drivers).

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

ZetsurinPower posted:

When I posted that question I was using a mini-itx board with a single expansion slot.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Literally don't ever order Broadcom NICs and always demand Intel NICs. That's it. Otherwise you will eventually (or immediately) have problems. Somebody will want to install a new build and stuff will just not work.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

madsushi posted:

Literally don't ever order Broadcom NICs and always demand Intel NICs. That's it. Otherwise you will eventually (or immediately) have problems. Somebody will want to install a new build and stuff will just not work.

For a production I agree; for a lab I do love intel; but broadcom's when you update the firmware/drivers work okay. But yeah I do prefer intel

Which actually you can get cheap as well http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-IBM-P...=item25895cd9bb

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

cheese-cube posted:

IBM use Broadcom NICs on their mainboards and I've never had issues with them in the past (However I've always installed the IBM customised ESXi image which has the right drivers).

Probably best to point out that I'm not referring to HBA/mezzanine/PCIe cards here. I cannot vouch for Broadcom HBA/mezzanine/PCIe cards.

Intel/Emulex for Ethernet, Brocade for FCP (QLogic will work too but their management software is garbage).

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Yeah, but the intel 4-port gigabit card (EXPI9404PT) is $80... so why not just get that one instead? http://www.ebay.com/itm/291085798202

Manos
Mar 1, 2004

CrazyLittle posted:

Yeah, but the intel 4-port gigabit card (EXPI9404PT) is $80... so why not just get that one instead? http://www.ebay.com/itm/291085798202

Be careful with that card, as I have just come to find out, it has issues with PCIe 2.0/3.0 slots. As in it doesn't work in them type of issue: http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/sb/CS-030873.htm

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

CrazyLittle posted:

Yeah I was just using it as an example I wasn't recommending that card in particular.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
any downside to using 2x dual ethernet NICs (aside from suing two slots)?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Manos posted:

Be careful with that card, as I have just come to find out, it has issues with PCIe 2.0/3.0 slots. As in it doesn't work in them type of issue: http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/sb/CS-030873.htm

I'll have to give it a try. I just threw together an AMD whitebox based on homeserverblog / dilbert's suggestions, and I have a few of those cards laying around from other projects.

ZetsurinPower posted:

any downside to using 2x dual ethernet NICs (aside from suing two slots)?

If they file a countersuit it could be wrapped up in court filings for decades.

(no downside)

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

CrazyLittle posted:

I'll have to give it a try. I just threw together an AMD whitebox based on homeserverblog / dilbert's suggestions, and I have a few of those cards laying around from other projects.

Working just fine so far in a ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 motherboard in the second PCIe x16 slot.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Okay a bunch of people want to learn VCP/VCP-VDI
doing gus on this

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Okay a bunch of people want to learn VCP/VCP-VDI
doing gus on this

Wait, right now?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Wait, right now?

VMUG I spoke at and poo poo; the VDI wave is coming I plan to surf it.

What help people learn and hope advance in their career is the reason I post on SA.

I honestly want to do GUG on all topics but I can't find anyone do do anything aside from me doing vm/net/storage

Which Varrow is interested in me at so yeah... got a few goon and other contacts for that and 5th gear for my VCDX right now. Don't give a gently caress about drinking or socializing with outside IT I want to be the best. Even if I fail I know I learned something which interm can help others.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 27, 2014

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
I want to ride that wave with you. Will you be putting up youtubes for people who can't make the live GUGs?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What do you guys think about these little machines for a Virtualization base?

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Atom/X10/A1SRi-2558F.cfm

Price for this would be pretty equivalent to an AMD FX 8320 + mobo, and this comes with 4 gig NICs (that you have to patch VIBs into ESXi ISO for, unfortunately)

edit: Oh ehh, they require ECC ram. Nevermind.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 7, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Martytoof posted:

edit: Oh ehh, they require ECC ram. Nevermind.

This is the problem, really. ECC SO-DIMMs

Octo Delta
Feb 17, 2011
Between this thread and the very enterprisey virtualization thread, I hope I picked the right one. As a broke college student with a genetic predisposition to destroying laptops, I was thinking I could perhaps just get a chromebook and remote in to my home computer for visual studio action. It appears possible, but I'm not quite sure where to start on the VM side. I tried google, but I think I may not be using appropriately "idiots guide" search strings or something. Anyone mind breaking down some quick and dirty basic setup steps barney style for me?

My desktop is pretty cheap, 3rd gen i3, 8gb ram, etc., but I would be willing to do a proc/ram upgrade if necessary since that'll be cheaper than a spendier laptop. It's just all the info from those two threads are pretty dense and I don't know where to start. I already run linux VMs on virtualbox when I need them, but stepping up to a secure, always available remote desktop VM (available even when my wife is home and on the thing) is leaving me scratching my head. Also, if this is a dumb idea, you won't hurt my feelings by telling me so!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
An SSD and more RAM will help the desktop.

Everything but Hyper-V runs as the logged in user so if your wife uses her own account that is going to be a problem.

Connecting to your router with whatever VPN technology it supports will allow you to access everything on your network without forwarding a million ports.

If you type really fast the latency may drive you nuts.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
What you need to do is have a management VM or the like bridged off the host computer, give it a LAN IP, go into your router and forward 3389 for RDP or use something like teamviewer if you don't/can't forward that port.

If you have an internal vmnetwork that you want to talk to give that management VM an additional nic into that virtual network. Then just tell virtual box to run in the back ground.

Overall it will need to look like this.

thebigcow posted:

An SSD and more RAM will help the desktop.

Everything but Hyper-V runs as the logged in user so if your wife uses her own account that is going to be a problem.

Connecting to your router with whatever VPN technology it supports will allow you to access everything on your network without forwarding a million ports.

If you type really fast the latency may drive you nuts.

Surprisingly enough I found that a decent USB 3.0 drive is a good medium solution if you dedicate the whole device for it, Format exFAT with a 512K block helps a bunch. SSD's do own, and so do SHDD's, but they are a bit more pricey.

But that is a good point about him having to stay logged in unless he can just get his wife to turn on a set of VM's.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 19, 2014

Octo Delta
Feb 17, 2011
Wow, that was fast. Oh, and an edit too! First, how much more ram? Just another 8 or should I just cram another 16 in? Also, definitely picking up an ssd if this whole thing works out, since i'll be saving so much on the laptop(s).

What you need to do is have a management VM or the like bridged off the host computer, give it a LAN IP, go into your router and forward 3389 for RDP or use something like teamviewer if you don't/can't forward that port.

Thanks for the picture, seriously! What do you mean by a management VM? What would the setup for that look like? Would it then be two vms? The management and the win8 VMs running off the "real" OS off of virtual box (or whatever I should be running it/them on)?

thebigcow posted:

My wife breaks everything, so I guess hyper-v is going to be my best bet. Do you have a tutorial you'd use if you were teaching elementary school? Heh.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Octo Delta posted:

Wow, that was fast. Oh, and an edit too! First, how much more ram? Just another 8 or should I just cram another 16 in? Also, definitely picking up an ssd if this whole thing works out, since i'll be saving so much on the laptop(s).
More the better, I run 32 Gigs in mine, works well. I can do a full VCAP-DCA/VCP lab on it.

quote:

Thanks for the picture, seriously! What do you mean by a management VM? What would the setup for that look like? Would it then be two vms? The management and the win8 VMs running off the "real" OS off of virtual box (or whatever I should be running it/them on)?
something you can remote into like a windows XP VM or minimal windows 7 VM that runs your management tools like vSphere client or whatever you're doing in your lab. You'll most likely want one so you don't disturb the other people using the PC and a dedicated VM is always good for a lab, that way you don't muck up your desktop because %management tool% disabled A/V.

quote:

My wife breaks everything, so I guess hyper-v is going to be my best bet. Do you have a tutorial you'd use if you were teaching elementary school? Heh.

Hyper-V is very simple and straight forward to install enable on windows 8, bunch of youtube videos out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSNyb5-lN4g

Octo Delta
Feb 17, 2011
Ok, so I won't be home for a couple of hours, but from your advice, assuming I'm starting from scratch...

1) install win 8
2) setup hyper-v
3) setup virtual switch
4) setup management VM
5) setup development VM
6) pray?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Octo Delta posted:

Ok, so I won't be home for a couple of hours, but from your advice, assuming I'm starting from scratch...

1) install win 8
2) setup hyper-v
3) setup virtual switch
4) setup management VM
5) setup development VM
6) pray?

Das the plan. I'd suggest running through hyper-v in virtual box first just so you get a feel for it.

Octo Delta
Feb 17, 2011
Ok, so for testing purposes run win8 in virtual box, with it running the win8 and management VMs in hyper-v? Then, basically, whenever I get everything ironed out I can pull the trigger on any hardware upgrades and set everything back up on hyper-v on the for realz OS?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Octo Delta posted:

Ok, so for testing purposes run win8 in virtual box, with it running the win8 and management VMs in hyper-v? Then, basically, whenever I get everything ironed out I can pull the trigger on any hardware upgrades and set everything back up on hyper-v on the for realz OS?

That's how I'd do it, get familar to how it feels in virtual box then do the reformat.

Octo Delta
Feb 17, 2011
Alrighty, I will probably be back after I ruin everything and, hopefully, before I throw my computer out the window. Thanks a ton for the help thus far!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Will Hyper-V even run in VirtualBox? IIRC it requires VT-x/AMD-V to be available, and VirtualBox doesn't currently support emulation/passthrough of those instructions like VMware does.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

SamDabbers posted:

Will Hyper-V even run in VirtualBox? IIRC it requires VT-x/AMD-V to be available, and VirtualBox doesn't currently support emulation/passthrough of those instructions like VMware does.

I thought it did just *experimental*, I could be wrong I know it works in VM player which is also free.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

What diagram software is this?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Swink posted:

What diagram software is this?

Visio 2013, it's just something I threw together in 5 minutes

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

I thought it did just *experimental*, I could be wrong I know it works in VM player which is also free.

VirtualBox does not do nested virt at all. Neither does Hyper-V. Free has nothing to do with it.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

VirtualBox does not do nested virt at all. Neither does Hyper-V. Free has nothing to do with it.

Oh okay I thought virtualbox did, I was just mentioning VMware player is free?

Either way he should be able to play with hyper-v, so he can get a feel for the configurations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrJP5Xg9etY

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 20, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Oh okay I thought virtualbox did, I was just mentioning VMware player is free?
VMware player's a much better option if you want nested virt, agreed.

Either way he should be able to play with hyper-v, so he can get a feel for the configurations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrJP5Xg9etY
I believe you can start the Hyper-V utilities from inside vbox, but not any guests. That could be completely wrong, though, since Hyper-V uses the same basic approach as Xen, and the Hyper-V management stuff is running inside a VM anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octo Delta
Feb 17, 2011
Welp, I guess I should've checked back here last night instead of stubbornly pounding my head against a wall... hyper-v only this time around I guess! Thanks guys!

• Locked thread